Chapter 34- A Lover’s Holiday

Chapter 34- A Lover’s Holiday

-

I’m so glad the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain.

Contentedly listening to her friends chat over breakfast, Luna’s lips curved at the whimsical thought. The days spent at the beach with Wesley–and everyone else, of course–had been full of sunshine and laughter. Since arriving at the casa, she’d easily adjusted to what Blaise called ‘Spanish time.’

The regimented schedule of Hogwarts was forgotten. Meals were leisurely and served later than she was used to. The group slept in until almost noon and didn’t go to bed until the night had become morning.

Between two and five, or even later, was siesta time, Luna’s favourite time of day. After a few hours swimming and a meal, the couples would each head to a different side of the whitewashed home. Time spent taking, kissing, and napping with Wesley on a hammock shaded by palms and fuchsia-flowered bougainvillea was beyond wonderful. It helped blunt the feelings of regret she still experienced over lying to her father.

“Drinky is bringing the owl post.”

Every face around the table looked up expectantly at the elf handing out mail. Beside her, Wesley grinned when a small envelope was handed to him. Luna smiled. His shirt printed with hula girls matched his eyes and the tee that she was wearing.

His denim-clad leg pressed against hers when he leaned over to say, “Mum hopes that I’ve used sunscreen spells, and Dad warns senoritas can be very fiery, so to make sure and be gentle when I tell the girl of my dreams I have to return home.” Wesley brushed his lips across hers. “Are you going to get all fiery on me?”

“Do you want me to?”

Across the table, Ginny giggled when he nodded earnestly. “My mum would like yours, Wesley. She wrote about sunscreen too, as well as admonishing me to be a good guest and not bother my hostess with continuous questions about the history of the area.”

Draco smirked. “I dare you to write back that your host is taking you to Alcazar Palace, and looks forward to answering questions while stealing kisses.”

“I’ll do it when you owl your father that the Malfoy heir is dating a Weasley.”

“Drinky, bring me stationary,” Draco said with a grin.

The house-elf, who had handed Blaise and Terry their mail, nodded and headed for the arched doorway.

Blaise said, “Drinky, ignore that command, he’s in one of his moods. Thank you for bringing the post. If you’ll wait in the kitchen with Minky for a few minutes, I’ll have a reply for you to bring my father.”

The elf bowed and slipped out of the tiled courtyard.

Blaise frowned at her best mate. “The last thing we need is to give Lucius a reason to escape Azkaban. Can’t we just enjoy the time we have to spend together without bringing our families into it?”

Before Draco could form a reply, Luna said reasonably, “Our families are the reason we lied to be here. There’s no forgetting it, but I agree that we can’t allow them to ruin our holiday.”

At the other end of the table, Terry lifted a small news clipping. "Here’s a quote my folks sent from the Intruder.” He said, “A source close to the Zabini family has let it be known that new ads featuring the ‘it’ couple of Malfoy and Zabini will put new meaning into the phrase fun in the sun. A Zabini Jewellers spokesperson refused to comment on rumours that the young lovers are spending their holiday at a secluded Spanish hideaway.”

After a pause at the end, Terry said, “Funny how they got things right…and yet so wrong.”

Blaise kissed her boyfriend’s cheek. “Enrique writes that Eddy and Narcissa are spending every Galleon he saved using Sol y Sombra as a location, but otherwise they’re fine. He also warns that any inappropriate conduct toward his innocent daughter by young Malfoy will receive the severest of reprisals.”

Conjuring a quill, she scratched out a quick reply, saying as she wrote, “I’m assuring Father that Draco is behaving like a very, parfit, gentil black knight and not to worry.”

Wesley slanted Luna a questioning look. She said, “Chaucer. Canterbury Tales…except for the ‘black’ part.”

Blaise held up a sheet of ornately decorated parchment. “We’ve all been invited to a fiesta being held in honour of Cousin Diego’s birthday. Mi gran abuelo, the honourable Don Vicente Jose Julio Trevino Romero, bids us to arrive at the hacienda after siesta in two days’ time.”

Terry immediately asked, “Do you want to go?”

Blaise nodded.

Luna said, “I’m looking forward to it. I don’t think I’ve seen an Andalusian horse before.”

When Drinky and Minky returned to clear the table and take their replies, she realised that her letter had gone unopened. Luna quickly opened the envelope. What she read caused all colour to leave her face.

“What is it?”

Mutely, she held out the letter. Looking concerned, Wesley took it.

“Bad news?” said Blaise.

Luna didn’t know how to answer. She said, “Will you read it aloud, Wesley?”

He cleared his throat.

Sweetheart,

The paper’s circulation is rising and all is well except for my best journalist wanting to write ‘human interest’ stories about Wizard Scouts helping old witches across the street and a little Squib’s prize pig. Now if the pig could fly, that would be a story!

I’ve been meaning to tell you for some weeks now, but I’ve been seeing someone. It started as getting the scoop on a rival editor and it’s nothing serious, just lunch or dinner here and there, but you have a right to know. Ivanna’s a widow with kids at Hogwarts. Her twin girls are in your year, Mary Kate and Ashley Greengrass. When you get back from Spain, we’ll go have dinner with her. Won’t be long now.

Love, Dad

Ginny looked horrified. “Mary Kate and Ashley!”

Blaise said, “Hey, they won’t be wicked stepsisters.” She told Luna, “Cheer up. They’ll be easy to outwit, sharing a brain the way those girls do.” She turned to Draco. “Remember when we were practising Muggle cheering and Lorelei said she’d go 'show…uh…explain' to Snape and the twins were shocked when the rest of us went ‘Eeuwww’ over the slip?”

“I wish I could forget.” Draco mocked, "No, she said explain...she wouldn't...they aren't."

Luna smiled, but after the morning meal, while waiting for her turn to Floo to the stable ‘La Caballeriza,’ the hit-in-the-stomach feeling returned. Her father was dating again? He wasn't dating just anyone, either–the editor of The Daily Prophet! The thought of having Mary Kate and Ashley as stepsisters, much less having a stepmother named Ivanna Lovegood, made her stomach twist. She was determined to think about the whole thing later, such as after she went back to England.

-

She liked the stables. They were old and quaint. Jorge, the guide, seemed kind, with patient dark eyes and a full, grey-streaked moustache. Luna was thankful that the horses seemed equally well mannered, especially when she asked the name of her mare. ‘Lightning’ was a colourful name, but not comforting.

The small group, dressed in denims, tees, trainers or cowboy boots, followed their guide in pairs. Luna enjoyed trailing at the end with Wesley. She was able to watch her friends as well as the scenery.

Draco said to Ginny, “Do you know how small a horse’s brain is? What if this beast decides to bolt?”

Jorge assured from his place in front that the horses were experienced at handling children and the elderly.

On the brown horse behind Draco’s white steed, Terry said, “Blaise looks like Epona, the horse goddess, but I’d rather be on a machine I have total control over. Are we going back to one of those white villages we visited a couple of days ago? That was a fun ride. Enchanted mopeds go a lot faster than Muggle ones, don’t they?”

Ginny, riding beside Draco on a dappled mare, looked back over her shoulder. “Yes, and they don’t need stinky petrol, either.” She grinned at Blaise. “I’d love to shop another open market. I need a few more souvenirs.” Teasingly, she added, “Creevey doesn’t need another present, though.”

“Creevey got a present?” Terry asked.

Blaise shrugged. “I felt sorry for him being stuck in London so I sent some oranges.”

Terry brought his gelding alongside his girlfriend’s mare and reached out to stroke her cheek. “That was nice.”

Luna glanced over at Wesley. He shook his head in disbelief. He edged his white horse closer to hers. “That was a bad idea. Creevey doesn’t need more encouragement. By the way, how’s the matchmaking going between Colin and Mindy?”

Pleased with her efforts, Luna smiled. “She said they had plans to go swimming over holiday. That’s a good sign.”

Wesley said, “You’re looking happy now. That’s a good sign to me.”

They were riding on a path through the middle of a field of sunflowers. Luna sighed when Wesley leaned down and lithely broke one off before presenting it to her with a grin. She stuck the stem through one of the side plaits framing her face. The left side–she was taken.

The stable’s proximity to the sea made for a relaxing ride through fields to reach the golden sands. The horses instinctively headed for the shallows and began to gallop.

Jorge chuckled to hear Draco’s imprecations, which were seconded, without the profanity, by Terry. Luna laughed at the feeling of the spray. After a peek at Wesley, her susceptible mind gave way to vivid imagination.

-

They were galloping down the coast away from Port Royal.

The Dread Pirate Roberts, along with a small band of his most trusted crew, had cleverly infiltrated a masked ball and liberated a fortune in jewels from the greedy Governor’s vault. The orphanages the man had cheated out of the support sent by the Crown would never worry about funds again.

Reaching the beach where a ship named ‘True Love’ waited in deep waters, the horses began slowing. Wesley pulled to a halt beside her. His face was alight with pleasure in the night’s work, the wild ride, and her company. She reached up to pull his mouth down to hers.

-

Rules, Luna!”

Dazedly, Luna pulled away from Wesley. Her lips seemed to cling, reluctant to part from his. The others had a laugh over her confusion.

Wesley grinned like a pirate. “Promise to tell me what you daydreamed during our siesta, hmmm?”

She nodded, eyes shining. “As you wish.”

-


-

Slowly awakening from a nap on the hammock beside Draco, Ginny opened her eyes and drowsily studied her boyfriend’s sleeping face. It looked so relaxed and boyishly sweet. Her lips twitched at the thought of the disgust that would cross his face if she ever told him so.

Draco liked to pretend to be tough and uncaring, but whenever she complimented him, a look of pleasure would flash in silver eyes before he scoffed the sentiment away. How strange Slytherins were to act as if they didn’t care what others thought. She cared–probably too much.

For an instant, when Draco had ordered Drinky to bring stationary, her heart had jolted. She had wanted him to owl his father, until the voice of reason had reared its ugly head. Bloody stupid reason ruining her fantasy of telling her white-blond Romeo, Deny thy father and refuse thy name, or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love, and I’ll no longer be a Capulet.

She drew in a startled breath when a sleepy voice said huskily, “Shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?”

Cheeks pinking at the realisation that she had spoken aloud, Ginny said, “I don’t want either of us to change our names. I just want to be with you.”

Draco’s hands cradled her head while masculine lips melded to hers. They lay together on their sides.

Her fingers sifted through platinum strands and drifted down to stroke his shoulders. Time in the sun had not given Draco a tan, thanks to charms, but his fair skin had a healthy glow that invited her hands to roam over the defined muscles. She sighed. Was it superficial to be glad that her boyfriend worked out and had a body as gorgeous as his face?

Draco chuckled. “I want to be with you too, and I don’t think I’m superficial because I’m glad you’re gorgeous.”

She could feel her cheeks burning over the awkward habit of saying thoughts aloud.

Draco’s lips traced her ear. “I’d love you even if you weren’t beautiful…now….”

Ginny started to giggle. “I’d still love you if your face wasn’t perfect too…now….”

The repressed mirth that reverberated in his chest escaped in laughter that made her heart turn over. It sounded so young and carefree. Hearing it made every lie she told to be here worth the regret that came with it.

“A Malfoy, laughing. Owl the Prophet, Blaise.”

“Terry, please! Show some loyalty to a friend. I’m owling the Quibbler.”

The other couple grinned at them from the French doors. Both were dressed casually in shorts. While Draco helped her up from the hammock, Ginny asked, “Are you wearing that to tour the castle?”

Blaise was biting her thumbnail. She and Terry exchanged a quick glance. Before the girl could speak, Wesley came through the doors pulling Luna by the hand.

“I can’t believe you girls haven’t been to a Muggle amusement park! I dragged Terry to one last summer and he loved it! Wait until you ride your first rollercoaster. You’ll be hooked!” Abruptly aware that Draco and Ginny had no clue what he was talking about, Wesley said, “Haven’t got around to breaking the news yet?”

“What news?”

Draco sounded uncaring, but Ginny could see a muscle flexing in his jaw. Wesley hastily escorted Luna back inside.

Blaise bit her lip. “You know I enjoyed the tour of los Reales Alcacares the last time we came, but, well, this time…the four of us are going to Isla Magica theme park.” She used big brown eyes in a way that would make her mother envious. “We’ll still meet back here for dinner and then all go see the Flamenco show together. Are you okay with that?”

Draco’s shoulder rose and fell. “Fine. At least I won’t be subjected to you pretending interest in mudpie architecture.”

Blaise threw up her hands. “I was joking. I knew that it was Mudejar.”

Wesley stuck his head through the doorway. “Everything cool?”

Ginny looked at Draco. He nodded. She said, “Go have fun. We’ll see you later.” After the others left, she hugged her boyfriend. “Don’t think of it as no one but me has any interest in culture and history. Think of them skivving off as alone at last.”

The wicked smile crossing the classically handsome face made her hurry to change. The black tank dress that had been too plain for dancing was perfect for sightseeing when paired with black flats. Draco’s black silk tee and trousers had a casual elegance that made Ginny glad she hadn’t worn shorts.

They stepped into the fireplace and were transported to the Seville public Floo station. Centrally located, the building, which blended with its neighbours due to a concealment spell, was filled with locals and visitors alike.

Ginny put on her sunglasses once they stepped out into the bright sunlight. She took a deep breath of orange blossom-scented air. The others could keep their rolly-coasters.

At the palace, she was less than impressed with the tour guide’s monotone speech.

“Abd Al Raman III ordered the construction of this fortified palace in 913 AD. The monarchs of Spain have since chosen to make los Reales Alcacares their Seville residence. Currently, His Royal Majesty Juan Carlos resides here when he visits.”

Ginny smiled when Draco pulled her to the side and allowed the group to move on without them.

He said, “I had hoped the quality of the tour had improved over the last few years, but as you heard, it hasn’t. I’ll show you around.”

Enjoying the way his fingers gripped hers when he pulled her over to view something interesting, and the animation of his face while Draco pointed out the different architectural styles, Ginny happily followed him from chamber to chamber.

The Ambassadors Room was beautiful. He pointed to the dome. “Those wood sculptures are gilded cedar. Aren’t they amazing? Look at the plaster work. It’s so complex. See the three arches? Each has three horse shoes, which is why the name Arcos de Herradura.”

The Spanish Islamic architecture was Ginny’s favourite, while Draco preferred Neoclassical. The past came alive while they walked through corridors, rooms, and patios. Outside, extensive gardens were a jumble of different styles. The English gardens jarred with the surroundings. She said, “I feel like I’m on a sugar plantation in the Caribbean.”

Draco sneered at the choice in planting. He led her to The Garden of the Poets. The two ponds inspired by the Romans and Arabs satisfied them both. Sitting together on a bench, she rested her head on Draco’s shoulder and sighed contentedly.

“What’s the sigh for, wishing you were with the rest of that lot?”

His face may have showed mild curiosity, but Ginny could see the uncertainty in the grey eyes searching hers. Didn’t he know by now that she wouldn’t trade the time they’d spent together for all the Muggle entertainment in the world? Smiling at the thought that no one would remind them of ‘rules,’ she kissed Draco, giving her answer in a way that satisfied them both.

After touring the palace, they strolled down narrow, cobbled streets until they came upon a square with a café. Sitting at a table under an umbrella, Ginny enjoyed a cool drink and watched the activity around them. Shoppers bustled past with their bags. Lovers young and old strolled along hand in hand. The bells chimed in a nearby cathedral.

Draco gave a half-smile. “We have time for a carriage ride, if you’d like.”

She liked. Maybe in the heat of summer, when the city smells couldn’t be hosed away each night along with the horse droppings, the ride wouldn’t have been so magical, but it was spring. The flowers and orange trees were blooming. Ginny was sitting beside the boy she loved rolling through picturesque streets.

The coachman paused beside a flower stall. Draco leaned out, purchased a rose, and presented it to her. Ginny held tight to the token she was going to press and keep forever, throwing her arms around her boyfriend’s neck. She expressed her affection publicly in an excessive way. Onlookers applauded.

-


-

Blaise felt like a little kid. Isla Magica was the coolest place. Walking from the Floo station, she’d explained that the theme park was built on the site that had been used for the country’s last national exposition. She had smirked when joking that the park had a colonial theme and they would probably learn more history than Draco and Ginny.

Once they’d arrived and joined the line to buy tickets and enter, though, a child-like sense of anticipation had overtaken her. She wasn’t the only one. Terry’s eyes had gleamed at the thought of riding El Jaguar–a rollercoaster that people in front of them boasted had 360-degree turns.

Wesley was the amusement park pro. He held the map and navigated them around the central lake and through the maze of themed areas with names like Quetzal, Fury of the gods, to reach Amazonia. The atmosphere was incredible.

“Are you sure there are no illusion spells, Wesley? This is all Muggle-made?” Luna asked.

“Yes, love.” Wesley chuckled. “Muggles may not have wizard magic, but they’ve got imagination and ingenuity. Looking around, I’d say the results are pretty magical.”

Blaise silently agreed. It did seem as if they were in the Amazon instead of Seville. Gazing around at the vendors selling everything from ice cream to tee shirts before glancing up to watch the riders scream past overhead, she amended the thought. It’s like the jungle with all the modern conveniences and none of the heat, bugs, and unfriendly natives.

When their turn came to step onto the ride, Blaise and Luna looked warily at each other while a metal contraption was pulled down to keep them harnessed in safely. Their boyfriends laughed at the look on their faces when the coaster started to pick up speed.

Blaise thought Terry was so cute with his wide smile. It was as much fun to watch his face as to hurtle through loops and around curves. After El Jaguar came to a halt, she took his hand, clambered out and said, “Let’s go again!”

Four rides later, the couples headed for the bumper cars. It was strange how Muggles tried so hard not to hit each other in everyday traffic and yet enjoyed crashing into one another in tiny gliding versions of their vehicles. Blaise steered her ‘car’ around the perimeter.

After getting splashed on the Iguazu Waterfall Ride, the friends looked at the park map and decided to move on to the Eldorado area. There was a 500-metre descent down the Orinoco Rapids they couldn’t wait to try.

The ride in a rubber boat was mad, soaking them all. Terry looked fine in a wet shirt. An electric blue gaze told her that he felt the same way about her.

Then he frowned. “Can you do a wandless drying spell? Not that I don’t like the view, but that top of yours is too revealing.”

Halter tops charmed with support spells upheld modesty when dry, but wet was another story. Hurriedly, Blaise chanted a spell Minky had taught her and was relieved when the thin red fabric concealed once more. She quickly repeated it to dry the other three.

A sopping-wet Muggle girl who had been on the raft behind theirs exited the ride and stared incredulously at their dry clothes. They waved and rushed on to the Condor Circus. A trip to the Planetarium and an interesting but perplexing ride on a virtual rollercoaster later, the friends headed to the Port of the Indies.

They took a break at an outdoor café. Blaise wondered aloud, “Why would someone want to create an illusion of a rollercoaster when the real thing is so much better?”

Luna answered after taking a drink of bottled water, “I think Muggles are like wizards. They do things because they can.”

A band of actors dressed as knights, merchants, and rogues were inviting spectators to the next show at the Comedy Theatre. Wesley said, “Let’s go. Maybe they’ll need a volunteer and I can impress my girl.”

The Comedy of The Merchant’s Daughter was amusing. Wesley was picked to be one of the rogues that ‘kidnapped’ the fair Isabella away from her beloved knight and merchant father. Blaise was impressed with Wesley’s good-humoured acting, but she could see Luna wasn’t thrilled with the girl’s flirtation with her bright-haired ‘captor.’

The audience thought it part of the show when the girl’s wig appeared to catch fire from one of the flickering torches on the ‘den of thieves’ set. Isabella yanked off the flowing locks to reveal short, spiky hair.

Blaise laughed harder than most of the crowd. She had seen Luna’s lips silently chant the words to a jinx.

That smile was long gone when the others tried to coax her into taking a Free Fall Drop. “Uh uh, no way, forget it. You three go and I’ll wait here to see if you make it off alive. The only time I like my heart jumping into my throat is when I’m kissing Terry.”

That argument earned a kiss from her boyfriend and a smile from the other two. Once the others had plunged down to earth, they walked over to a two-story carousel. Snogging while their horses rose and fell was her kind of challenge. Luna agreed whole-heartedly and urged Wesley to get back in line for another go ‘round.

Holding hands, the two couples meandered through a Mayan world and stopped in The Pirates Cove to try to win a prize at a shooting gallery. The Muggle weapon took a few moments to get the hang of, but Blaise soon won herself and Luna cute stuffed animals. Terry, who wasn’t quite proficient enough, duly admired the monkeys. “If I didn’t know that you loved me, I’d be worried about your expertise with weaponry, baby.”

She tried to explain that it was just a matter of depth perception, reflexes, and hand-eye co-ordination.

Wesley said, “Yes, and I’m a monkey’s uncle.”

Blaise remembered Draco calling the other boy ‘Cheetah.’ She caught Terry’s eye. They both laughed.

Making their way to the Gateway of the Americas, the foursome strolled through the fort themed area and boarded a reproduction of a sixteenth century Galleon.

Blaise pointed to the Captain’s bunk. “Rather short, weren’t they?”

Luna gave a slight smile. “You go on and check out the canons. We’ll be along…in a minute.”

Pretending Luna and Wesley were staying behind to study the cabin in more detail, Blaise laced her fingers with Terry’s and led him to the cramped space where cannonballs waited to be loaded.

“Are you interested in this stuff?” Terry asked with a smile.

She shook her head while pulling him over to a dark corner. “No, I’m interested in this stuff.”

Giggles interrupted their kiss. Two little girls stared at them, big eyed. The parents came into the small area behind them. The young couple sidled around the family and climbed back up to the deck.

Blaise leaned back against Terry at the railing. “Why doesn’t Muggle Studies cover theme parks?”

His arms tightened around her. “Does that mean you’ve had a good time?”

“I had a great time.”

-

Hours later, following a long rest and dinner, Blaise held up a silk dress and asked Ginny, “What do you think?”

“I like the ruffled hemline. I’d wear it.”

Blaise handed her the green dress. “Good. It’s for you. On your bed are satin sandals to go with.”

She disregarded half-hearted protests, complimented Luna on her lily-print dress and pulled a sleeveless coral frock out of the wardrobe.

Ginny said jokingly, “Hey, that dress is almost modest.”

Blaise held up floral thong sandals. “I got the dress to match the shoes.”

The other girls admitted that they would have too.

After sliding on antique Spanish gold hoop earrings, Blaise was ready to go meet the boys. She was looking forward to returning to Seville to see a Flamenco performance before going out dancing. While the girls walked through the house to reach the Floo in the front parlour, she heard a gasp and turned to see Ginny slumped against the wall, red hair swinging forward to obscure her expression.

Luna asked, “Are you okay?”

A moment passed before Ginny nodded and brushed back her hair with a shaking hand. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just felt this really intense pang in my stomach, but it’s gone now.”

Blaise said, “Was it a reaction to the gambas ajillo we had for dinner, or some psychic…something?”

“It wasn’t the shrimp with garlic. I just get these bloody pangs now and then, even though they do me no good. I can never tell what’s going to happen, I only get a warning.”

Now Blaise’s stomach was starting to flip-flop. “A warning?”

“Yes–to brace myself.”

“Do they help you, these pangs?” Luna asked matter-of-factly.

Ginny laughed ruefully. “Not really, and now I’ll be wondering all night what’s going to happen.”

Blaise pressed her hand to her stomach. So would she.

-


-

A week ago, Draco had been dreading this holiday, not wanting to return to the place that held so many unhappy memories. His attitude had changed completely. The thought made him smile as Ginny reached his side. Determination kept his smile in place. If he had his way, they would skip the performance. Of course, he could’ve said something when Blaise brought the idea up, but he hadn’t wanted her to know.

“Ready to go?” his girl asked.

No, but it was too late now. The others had gone ahead. Reaching out, he cupped Ginny’s cheek and softly rubbed his thumb over the freckles. “You look beautiful tonight.” She stepped closer. He was tempted to kiss her, convince that what she really wanted was to stay here with him. It would be so easy…and cowardly.

If his girl wanted to see some Spanish gypsy stomp around to guitar music, he could force himself to endure it. He nodded and followed her into the fireplace.

The club Gitanos was exclusive and intimate. Their party was the only foreign one there. By the reverent way the server breathed the name Enrique Zabini, the place must belong to another one of Blaise’s father’s cronies.

Draco looked around and was pathetically relieved to not recognise anyone. Catching his girl giving him a questioning glance, he gave a brief smile. She relaxed and listened to Blaise wax poetic about how the persecuted gypsies created Flamenco as a way to escape the harsh reality of life, to find release from the soul’s torment through embracing sadness and ridiculing their oppressors.

Conversation halted when the singer, guitarist, and dancer came onstage. The technical prowess displayed by the guitarist while he followed the dancer’s sudden changes of mood was impressive. The woman would abruptly follow a series of soft steps with a rapid-fire clattering of her heels.

Ginny’s face was rapt, watching la gitana’s exaggerated facial expressions, play of hands, and serpentine movements of arms. Draco listened to combined music of guitar, wailing song, and sharp steps and remembered another performance attended years ago.

-

He wished they had never come to Spain.

Brooding in the corner, nińo? Aren’t you enjoying my party?”

Draco continued to watch the private Flamenco performance. He didn't bother to reply. Marisol knew bloody well that he had soon regretted ever agreeing to ‘show her around’ the Costa de la Luz. Blaise didn’t know how right she’d been to sneer that a twenty-four year old woman interested in a boy of fourteen–even if he was gorgeous and could pass for sixteen–was a perverted witch.

Sharp red nails dug into his jaw, turning his face to meet a glittering black gaze. Tired of me already, mi corazon? Stop eyeing the door. You couldn’t leave me if you tried.”

A strange shudder passed through his body. For the first time in weeks, he felt nothing but contempt for the woman whose beauty was skin deep. He took a step away and felt no compulsion to return to Marisol’s side. Heart racing, Draco kept moving toward the exit.

Where do you think you’re going? Come back!”

He never paused, striding out the door and toward the library. Flooing back to la casa de Sol y Sombra, Draco headed for his room. Somehow, he knew Blaise had found a way to break the hold Marisol had on him.

Inside the chamber, his friend stood beside the bed within a circle of flickering candlelight. He said, How? Marisol said that my life was bound to hers forever.”

She was wrong. If you want, you can break her spell.”

If you want.’ He’d never wanted anything more. After they had done the counter spell, Draco lay down beside his mate and drifted into peaceful slumber. He couldn’t remember any dreams the next morning, but they must have been good, because he awoke with a smile on his face.

Facing him, Blaise returned the smile. Want to go windsurfing today?”

Along the edges of the shutters, rays of sunlight shone through, lighting the room the way a sense of freedom lightened his soul. He wanted to be a kid. Sail clear waters with a true friend. He grinned. Yeah.”

-

Enthusiastic clapping brought Draco out of his reverie. Perfunctorily, he brought his hands together. Ginny seemed to have enjoyed the Flamenco, by the look on her face. Personally, he would rather dance with his girl.

“That was…interesting. Are we ready to do some dancing ourselves?” asked Boot.

Draco said, “I am.”

The girls started debating where to go. Roberts, after listening to the chatter, suggested, “Why don’t we go back to that club in the old mansion? The music was good.”

Luna asked, “Will we have to jinx girls away from you again?”

The deceptively calm query was met with a cajoling smile. “Buttercup, you know that we didn’t invite any of that.”

“But you enjoyed it.”

Cheetah looked like he needed someone to throw him a vine. Resignedly, Draco promised, “If any senoritas come within a metre of us, I’ll hex them myself.”

Luna said, “Gracias.”

He clipped, “De nada,” and stood.

Ginny rose and hooked her arm through his, reaching up to kiss his cheek. “That was sweet of you.”

He drawled, “I figured my jinxes would be kinder than my jealous girlfriend’s.”

Unfazed by the laughter of the others, his fiery girl said, “Damn right.”

-

Even mid-week, Discoteca was popular and the dance floor crowded. Draco led Ginny to the middle of the floor, moving to the music. Red smiled happily, swaying with him. The techno, European tracks transitioned into a slower, American song. Close by, Blaise and Boot locked lips.

Ginny sighed. Draco took the hint. Kissing while barely swaying was his favourite slow dance of all.

The tempo of the next song picked up a bit. Malfoy grinned to see Ginny hip drop. The girls must have been practicing some moves in their room. He placed his hands on her hips, enjoying the way they rolled with the beat.

Ginny asked over the music, “This song is about holding someone down. It’s a good thing?”

Draco laughed. “It means you’ll be there for someone, although if you want me to be literal, I’ll be happy to hold you down and snog you on our hammock.”

She shot back, “Maybe I’m going to hold you down and snog you on the hammock!”

Smugly, he agreed, “Anytime.”

In that preternatural way of females, the three girls decided to visit the loo at the same time. Sitting at a table waiting for their ladies to return, Draco contentedly traded quips about Flamenco giving headaches and how much more enjoyable this kind of dancing was.

Minutes later, a group of four unattached girls moved in on them. Rolling his eyes, Draco started chanting underneath his breath. When the young women abruptly gave them evil looks and stalked away, mid-flirtation, Roberts chuckled. “What’d you do?”

“Aversion Charm.”

A commotion drew their attention to the hallway leading to the loo. A petite woman with long, black hair was screeching at a tall girl with short, dark curls. Draco felt ill.

Boot stood up. “Why is that woman hassling Blaise?”

Unable to answer, Draco watched the woman turn. The expression on her face was as bitter as her name when she caught sight of him. Marisol grabbed Blaise’s arm, saying something that made the girl shove the woman away. Ginny and Luna rushed to their friend’s side, causing the witch to stalk out of the club.

The girls quickly rejoined them. After throwing Draco a wild-eyed glance, Blaise clutched Boot’s arm. “Let’s go home. I can’t stay here anymore.”

The group left.

On the way back to the Floo station, Ginny had a ‘what’s going on here’ look on her face. She wasn’t the only one. Terry asked his girlfriend, “What was that all about back there? Who was that woman? Why’d it look like you two were about to fight?”

A burst of hysterical laughter escaped Blaise. For an instant, her eyes met Draco’s before she looked away. “She was someone I met the last time we visited. I never liked her.”

After they returned to la casa, Blaise tried to claim tiredness and rush off to bed. Terry refused to let go of her hand. “Are you going to wake in the middle of the night with another nightmare? Tell me what’s really going on. Let me help.”

Draco felt Ginny’s considering gaze before she focused on Blaise. “I don’t speak Spanish, but I know that woman was threatening you. Lying by omission is just as bad as doing it straight out. We promised to be honest.”

Luna cleared her throat. All eyes turned toward her. She said solemnly, “I don’t speak Spanish either, but I understand a few words, and muerto, is one of them. You told that woman something about being dead.”

Blaise corrected tonelessly, “I asked, ‘Why aren’t you dead?’”

Draco broke the silence. “Who told you she was dead?”

Sad brown eyes turned his way. “Lucius came into the room and told me that if I stayed with you and overcame her Dark spell with mine, Marisol would die.” Face crumpling, she admitted, “When I saw her tonight, all I could think was how much I wished she had.” Tears rolled down her face. Terry let go of her hand to encircle her with his arms.

Draco’s mind was reeling. His father…had Lucius really done that to Blaise? How had she lived with that secret for years?

He answered his own question. Slytherin were born keeping secrets, concealing fears and weakness. He heard Ginny softly say his name. Numbly, he raised his eyes to meet hers.

She looked pained, but determined. “I have to know the truth…about everything.”

He ran tense fingers through his hair. “Let’s go into the lounge.”

“I’m comfortable right here, Malfoy,” said Roberts.

Draco returned the challenging look with a level one. “It’s a long story. I guarantee you’ll want to be sitting down.”

The others drifted down the corridor, Ginny with a lopsided attempt at a smile. Draco followed slowly, trying to figure out what to say.

-


-

A/N: To go Edina, don’t get miffed with me, por favor, dearest readers. I couldn’t help the cliffie ending to the chapter. Draco made me, sweetie darlings! I promise it will be worth the wait! Cheers, thanks, bye for now!

 

Leave a Review