Turning with affected grace, Harry saw his second Window of Opportunity. A Malfoy at a Weasley wedding. Not linking Neville’s talk of a boyfriend with the cool blond who faced him, he relished in his newly-resurrected role of Saviour of Poor and Innocent Weasleys. With a brief dashing smile in Ginny’s direction (which she missed), he imperiously handed his jacket to Neville, and punched Draco in the face.

Draco chose that moment to step back. Malfoys— everyone should remember— do not stagger. Then he smirked, feeling a beautiful rush of normality. What was he to do but punch the snivelling idiot back? As Potter hit the ground with a pleasing thud, Draco tried to find Ginny in the crowd.

Harry tackled his legs. Draco got out his wand. Harry found himself attacked by several vicious garden gnomes. Draco smirked. Harry unleashed his Gates of Fury and set the cutlery on him. Draco flicked his wand lazily. Harry growled as the flying silverware redirected itself. Draco smirked. Harry charged. Neville stepped in.

“Now, now, Harry,” Neville tutted, “Draco has every right to be here, though he is late.”

Harry ignored Neville. “It’s okay now, folks. I have scared Malfoy off with my impeccable duelling skills.” He pointed a finger at Draco, who was making his way through the crowd of Order members who had assembled in hopes of breaking up a fight. “I don’t think you’ll be getting any more trouble from him today, not now that I’m here… HEY!”

He had noticed the direction Draco was taking and was just a little bit thrilled. He hadn’t really had a chance to live up to his role as Saviour of Poor Little Damsels in Distress, and this was his chance. Deciding between the Strong and Muscled or Mysterious and Clever type of hero was often tricky, but he knew from personal experience that Ginny preferred the bolder kind; the Gryffindor type of hero.

Modestly protesting at the impressed noises the crowd were making, he marched up to the offending couple.


@@@



Ginny glared at Draco.

“I’ve been stuck here with Harry bloody Potter, and all you have to say is ‘Hufflepuffs’?”

Draco shuddered. “You shouldn’t speak of them.”

Frowning, she was about to make a cutting remark of some sort when Draco’s lips cut her off. She couldn’t compete with that type of logic, really… arguing could wait.


@@@



Harry was sickened and disgusted by what he had just witnessed. Malfoy (that slime) had forced himself on Ginny. Of course, the poor innocent girl couldn’t fight back and was now completely helpless…

…Or so she thought. Lucky for her, Harry Potter, rescuer extraordinaire was there for her.


@@@



Draco smirked against Ginny’s lips. He was irresistible, but that was nothing new. Kissing her was wonderfully soothing; he began to forget why she’d been in such a state to begin with.

When he found himself torn bodily from her, he remembered.

Potter was standing in front of him with a mad glint in his eye that was wholly unbecoming.

An annoyed growl came from the ground.

“That’s the second time today, Potter. Would you watch where you’re going?”

In his haste to save Ginny from the evil Slytherin, Harry Potter had knocked her to the floor. Realising his (deliberate) mistake, he turned to help her up, knowing all he had to do was make a smooth remark to diffuse any anger.

“I know. You don’t seem able to stay on your feet in my presence. Maybe we should dance, so I can catch you next time you fall.”

Harry thought this was a marvellous line, and he knew it was delivered with poise. He flicked his hair expectantly.

“And it’ll keep you away from any potential danger, of course.” He jerked his head at Draco, who was smirking.

Evil Slytherin was the role he was born to play, and it had been a while since his last good Potter-baiting. “Why don’t you just leave us be, Potter? We were having a vaguely relaxing time before you so rudely interrupted us.”

Harry spluttered.

Ginny, who’d been speechless since the dancing line, disentangled herself from Harry’s arms and smirked right back at Draco. “Right, bye then, Potter.”

Harry spluttered louder.

Ginny took Draco’s hand and they sauntered off together, basking in Harry’s discomfort.


@@@



“Neville!” A slightly more ruffled Harry Potter approached, with a recently rediscovered Truly-Upset-Look on his face.

“Malfoy’s not…”

Neville nodded gravely. “Malfoy is.”

“But… he’s an evil Death Eater!”

“Not really, if you’d remember…”

“He doesn’t deserve her! I won the War! I defeated the Dark and Evil Lord Voldemort! I have the upper hand in every kind of heroic competition.”

“Well, you did…”

“It’s not her right, even. Didn’t she say she’d always love me? Doesn’t that entitle me to something?

“To be honest…”

“He’s controlling her. Believe me, Neville. I know Ginny Weasley far better than you ever could. She loves me, and no girl would ever lower themselves to date a Malfoy if they could be with the one they loved. Basic rule about women, you see, Neville. They follow their hearts. Guess that’s why you never seemed to get lucky in that department.” Harry followed this speech with a sympathetic smile.

Neville gave Harry a look which he had been practicing in private. It was quite scary, but would have been more effective if Harry had been paying attention. He walked off in the direction of his date, in need of a bit of an ego-booster.

Harry glared. Obviously, the people there had no respect for their saviour; if he couldn’t tell when someone was under the influence of the Imperius Curse, then who could? Of course, her family’s ignorance would make his heroism all the sweeter when he saved her. All he had to do was get her away from Malfoy. He watched as they danced past him, Malfoy effortlessly twirling the object of Harry’s thoughts. The signs were there, of course. The dazed look in Ginny’s eyes was a dead giveaway. Obviously, Malfoy’s spell-casting abilities were not up to very much. What was needed here was an Appropriate Course of Action, and as Neville was obviously not feeling helpful, he needed another way to get Ginny to talk to him. Being the well-adapted soul he was, Harry realized that he could not do this alone, and, though memories of her smothering nature were distasteful, he knew that Mrs. Weasley was his best bet.


@@@



Ginny laughed happily as they danced, blissfully unaware of any green-eyed persons staring at her. Draco smiled back as he spun with her around the dance floor. She really was gorgeous, he thought, but that could become highly annoying in situations like these. It meant that Potter wasn’t going to give up easily, and as Ginny didn’t notice his evident change in attitude towards herself, she was far too much of a forgiving person to be allowed near him. Draco could predict the chain of events, which would, if not prevented, lead to the construction of his own personal hell. Ginny, being the ridiculously loving Gryffindor she was, had, in the past, forced him into painful conversations with a whole gang of uninviting characters. Draco needed to keep her resentment of The Boy Who Lived alive and well, to protect her from any thoughts of a beautiful friendship. He would not, under any circumstances, make small talk with the insufferable prat. He had made allowances for Ginny’s brother, but a man needed to put his foot down now and then.

There was also the matter that Potter had hurt Ginny badly and needed to pay.


@@@



Neville watched as Harry approached Mrs. Weasley, a cheerful smile on his face. He could guess the subject of conversation; Harry wasn’t the most discreet of people, and he wasn’t happy about it. Once Draco saw the looks he had been giving Ginny, Neville had been sure he would have dealt with it, but Malfoy seemed determined not to draw his wand, save the gnome fiasco earlier. He smiled demurely as Mrs. Weasley went up to Draco and Ginny, pointing at the erstwhile saviour and nodding appealingly.

As Draco turned a shade paler, and Harry took an uncomfortable Ginny’s hand, Neville indulged in a well-deserved smirk.


@@@



Ginny prevented herself from squirming uncomfortably. Harry Potter smiled down at her, after her mum had left them, pleased to help ‘poor Harry’ find a dance partner.

Harry looked soulfully into her eyes, but Ginny had no use for soulful looks. This was one saviour she was not going to forgive. She was quite convinced of that.

“Gin, I’m sorry.”

“I don’t know what you mean.”

Harry continued to look soulful, and a bit sad. Ginny glared at the floor, weakened slightly. Maybe he had his reasons for being a prat. She always did believe in second chances…


@@@



Harry’s scaly friend purred from somewhere in his stomach. The apology had been the Right Thing to Do. The daring rescue attempt had, obviously, softened her up, but if he knew women (and he did know women), it would have been the apology that clinched the deal. Now, he could see it in her eyes. She wanted him.

Malfoy… His presence at the wedding had been somewhat counter-productive, but he had served his purpose in the end. It was now painfully obvious that he was merely a ‘lover scorned’, as the more poetic members of his fan-club might say. Glossing over the issues of the kiss and the dancing, his pathetic attempts at seducing Ginny had been amusing, though Harry would never be so tactless as to tell that to the girl herself. He threw a generous smile at Ron and Hermione, congratulating himself on his charitable nature.


@@@



Draco scowled. He could see Longbottom smirking unattractively. No doubt he had expected Draco to charge in to defend Ginny’s honour at the first opportunity, like so many other brave Gryffindors before him. Not that he hadn’t wanted to; seeing the Boy-Who-Lived attacked by gnomes had been very satisfying, but Ginny was very firm about ex-boyfriends and their vital organs. They hadn’t made an exception for Potter, as they had optimistically thought that they would never again be graced with his presence. Draco had been sure that the role of saviour would be performed by one of her Very Large Brothers.

Looking around, he could see how incorrect that assumption was. The two eldest were chatting happily with their respective wives, not even looking in their sister’s direction. The pompous one was primping pompously, the twins were laughing as their favourite test subject (the pompous one) neared the magical X they had drawn. The Weasel King himself was gazing mushily into Hermione’s eyes, as they danced to music which apparently only they could hear, as they were out of time with the rest of the couples. On another day, Draco might have even turned to Longbottom for assistance, but that would make him too happy. Instead, he returned to the space where Potter and Ginny had been, only to find that they were, in fact, no longer there.


@@@



Ginny allowed herself to be led off the dance floor by Harry. She didn’t quite understand why Draco had let this slide; he was usually very firm about ex-boyfriends and secluded areas, but she was sure he had his reasons. Maybe he thought forgiveness might be sensible, too.

She smiled at the thought. Draco never considered that forgiveness might be sensible.


@@@



Harry looked down at the smiling girl. She was obviously thinking of their beautiful future relationship. He had decided, recently, that a future relationship would be a Good Idea. He would still leave the wedding with Ginny, to prove the miserable old Auror wrong, but it could be a getting-to-know-you sort of a date, as a more permanent sort of girlfriend would certainly improve his image. There was the matter of his (currently dancing) little green creature, but that was of negligible importance.

Whatever his reasons, Ginny Weasley was a lucky girl. Harry treated her to a charming little smile he had been working on and began his speech.

“Ginny.” He took her hands and looked soulfully into her eyes once again. “These past few years have been traumatic, to say the least. I left you, here, with your family, so that I could examine myself as a person.” He sighed. “I didn’t like what I saw. I have been trying to change, for you, and for us, so I could treat you as you deserve. I know now that I didn’t go about it in the right way. The thing is I don’t think I can stand it anymore. I’m not perfect. Not yet. But I love you, and I think you could change that. Would you help me?”

Harry had to refrain from patting himself on the back. The speech was perfect; delivered with yet more poise, with the modest touches he was famous for, together with the oh-so-amazingly-clever use of the 'L' word. He checked her reaction. Stunned. The joy would come soon, he knew.


@@@



Ginny gaped. There was Harry, who she had loved for years, telling her that he had left to become a better person. She felt awful; all those years hating him and he had had her best intentions at heart. And now she was going to have to disappoint him.

“I’m so sorry, Harry, but I’m with Draco now. We’ve been dating for almost six months and I think I love him. I was angry with you for a long time, but Draco helped me through that. I hope we can still be friends.” She smiled hopefully.

Harry stared at her, stunned. “Malfoy? But you hate him. I thought all Weasleys did.”

“It would appear not.” Draco emerged from the shadows, inexplicably. He smirked coldly at Harry. “If you bothered to look at newspapers for anything other than pictures of yourself to pin on your walls, you’d probably know that. We were the talk of the town for a while, weren’t we, dear?”

Ginny smiled up at Draco. He was right, of course. When a Weasley and a Malfoy were first seen in public together there was near uproar. Then they got dubbed the ‘Romeo and Juliet’ of the wizarding world. Some particularly nasty opposers of the match predicted that they would end up the same way. It had been unpleasant at the time, but now it lead Ginny to wonder why Harry hadn’t seen any of the articles. Surely, if he still cared about her he would have noticed?


@@@



Thinking back, Harry could remember a time when his pictures had showed up less regularly in the newspapers, but that was of little importance.

“You’ve brainwashed her.”

“I’ve what?” Draco raised his own perfectly groomed eyebrow.

“Ginny is obviously not acting of her own free will. You’ve done something.” Harry pulled Ginny closer.


@@@



The git grabbed Ginny and pulled her against him. Draco bristled. She wasn’t there for Potter to manhandle. If there was to be any manhandling going on, Draco would be the one to do it. He took her arm and gently drew her away from her captor.

“I assure you, Potter, such extreme methods were not necessary. She came quite willingly.”

Ginny nodded hurriedly, and added, “I really am sorry, Harry, but owl me some time and we’ll meet for a coffee or something.”

Inwardly, Draco groaned. It was the foretold tea-with-gits situation he had been dreading. Seeing the incredulous look in Potter’s eyes, he was momentarily gratified and decided to make a quick getaway.

“Ginny, we should go. I’ve got to check on Blaise.” That was true, unfortunately. The Potter situation had put it out of his mind, but the Zabini situation was rather urgent.

“What’s wrong with Blaise?” She shot him a worried look.

“I’ll tell you back at my flat.” Draco shot a wink back to Potter as they left, his arm encircling Ginny’s waist.



A/N: So what did you think? Review and let me know. I've replied to all the other reviews, so if you've commented on a previous chapter, you can see my reply... :) I hope you liked it.
To Be Continued.
nun outfits are cool is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 38 members. Members who liked Harry Potter and His Rather Large Ego also liked 1110 other stories.
Leave a Review