Chapter 1- Cadence to Kaydence

Ginny rolled her neck and yawned, wanting nothing more than to stretch out on the seat and sleep. She had actually made up her mind to do just that when two other people climbed into the horseless carriage, and one very familiar one plopped down beside the exhausted redhead.

“Hey, Ginny. Why so tired?”

“Hi, Natasha. Harry and Ron were up all night celebrating the fact that they didn’t have to come back to school today, and they weren’t even trying to be quiet about it.”

Natasha grimaced, brushing her dark hair out of her face. “I know what you mean. I spent the summer at Zabini Manor, and last night Blaise flooed into my room literally every 15 minutes just to tell me that I had to go to school tomorrow.”

“What about you, Luna?” Ginny addressed the carriage’s third occupant, a blonde girl with protuberant blue eyes. “What did you do all summer?”

“Nothing very interesting,” Luna answered dreamily, still looking at her upside-down Quibbler. “I did develop some rather intriguing theories on the magical powers of Mistletoe. I plan to go talk to Professor Sprout about them first thing tomorrow morning. Would you like to come with me?”

Ginny started to answer, but Natasha cut her off. “She can’t, Luna; she has auditions.”

“I do?”

“Yes, you do. Patrick’s back again this year, and we’re doing Wicked.”

“Oh. Sweet!”




Ginny walked onto the stage with an air of polite confidence surrounding her. Exactly a year ago, she’d been auditioning for The Phantom of the Opera on this very stage and had walked away with the lead role. Today was the day she got her chance at Wicked, one of her favorite musicals of all time. She made it to the center of the stage and smiled down at Patrick, who was once again casting and directing the show.

“Hi Ginny,” he said, smiling back. “I’m assuming you’re trying out for one of the two leads?”

She nodded, tossing her thick red hair back over one shoulder. “I want to be Elphaba.”

Patrick shook his head, grinning. “Why doesn’t that surprise me? Alright, what are you singing?”

“I thought I’d just do one of my old Phantom songs.”

Patrick nodded his assent, and Ginny began to sing, working her way through the runs and jumps of Think of Me. As she sang, it occurred to her that this was the same thing she’d done for auditions last year. She supposed it didn’t really matter that much, and jumped to the double high B flat that ended the song without even thinking about it.

As that very high last note was met with thunderous applause from everyone else trying out, Patrick rolled his eyes and muttered “Gee, that one will be hard to cast.”




Ginny walked down to the Great Hall with Natasha the next day, already anticipating the large group surrounding the bulletin board. Sure enough, the people all vying for a look at the casting sheet spilled halfway down the corridor, pushing and shoving to see who was on the list. Natasha rolled her eyes and headed into the crowd, leading with a strong elbow to get people out of the way; the list soon came into view.

Elphaba- Ginevra Weasley

Galinda/Glinda- Kaydence Montespan

The crowd began to clear, and Ginny leaned back after reading the first two names, frowning. “Dang, I was hoping you’d be Glinda.”

Natasha shook her head, still reading. “I told Patrick I didn’t want to be. I liked having a smaller part last year, so I asked for another one this time. And,” she continued, pointing about halfway down the list. “He gave me the right one.”

Ginny followed her friend’s finger. “Nessa? But you don’t get to dance or anything; your character is in a wheelchair.”

“I get to sit down for the entire show, Ginny; it’s ideal.”

Ginny laughed and looked back to the top of the list.

“Who’s Kaydence Montespan?”

Natasha shook her head. “You got me. She must be new.”

“She is.” A new voice entered the conversation, and the girls turned to see Blaise grinning at them from behind.

“What are you doing here?” Ginny asked as she closed the distance between them to hug him. “I thought you’d never come back after graduation.”

“That’s what I thought, too,” he replied, looking disappointed with himself. “But, alas, Patrick convinced me to come back.” The girls looked at him in confusion, and Blaise grinned. “Ladies, you’re looking at the assistant director of Wicked!”

Natasha sighed heavily, memories of two nights before assailing her. “Joy of all joys. And here I thought I was rid of you.”

Blaise opened his mouth to reply, but Ginny overrode him. “What do you know about this,” she paused to consult the list. “Kaydence Montespan?”

“Not much- just that she’s new, a seventh year, and in Ravenclaw.”

Ginny nodded, mulling this over. “A Ravenclaw... hmm... well, it has to be better than co-starring with two Slytherins.”

Blaise narrowed his eyes and opened his mouth, but a loud cadence of heels interrupted him. He turned to the sound, and Ginny watched his jaw drop.

An impossibly beautiful young woman was walking toward them, placing one high-heeled foot confidently in front of the other. Her thick, white-blonde hair fell in deep curls to her mid back, and the light blue of her blouse complimented the light blue of her eyes. Her full lips were a pouty dark rose, and the shapely legs showing beneath her cream pencil skirt were like flawless alabaster.

This was what Blaise saw, of course. Ginny looked at the woman and felt that that perfect pixie nose was held just a tad higher than necessary. That pencil skirt, though just fine in length, was most definitely too tight, and her blouse was undone one or two buttons too many. Not to mention that the way she slung the cream jacket over her shoulder was far too sophisticated for any Hogwarts student.

The girl walked straight up to Blaise and stood just a bit too close, in Ginny’s opinion. “Do you happen to know where the cast list is posted?” Ugh, even her voice was beautiful.

Blaise, mouth still open slightly, pointed over his shoulder to the bulletin board.

“Thank you.” The woman looked at the list for a few moments, then turned on her heel and walked to the door of the Great Hall. She paused, however, before going inside.

“Do you happen to have a name, Mr. Articulate?”

Blaise shook his head slightly to clear his thoughts and resumed his usual charming smile. “Blaise. I’m Blaise Zabini.”

The girl smiled back, showing off a perfect set of dazzling white teeth. “So you’re my new Assistant Director.”

Blaise nodded, pleased that this angel knew who he was. “You wouldn’t happen to be one Kaydence Montespan, would you?”

“Call me Kaya.”
Leave a Review