Chapter 5- Reconciliations and Muggle Movies

Ginny cracked open the door of the practice room and felt the butterflies in her stomach double in number as Draco’s voice floated out to her. She knew she had to go talk to him, but she really didn’t want to go in there. He was finally starting to warm back up to her; how much more distance would it put between them when she told him about Blaise? Still, Ginny knew she had no choice. Steeling her resolve, she stepped into the room… and nearly died when she heard the song he was singing.

Lately, I have had the strangest feeling

With no vivid reasons here to find

But yet the thought of losing you has been hanging

‘Round my mind


Draco, who had been singing in the direction of the piano, suddenly turned as though he sensed her presence. Locking gazes with Ginny, he continued to sing, gray eyes considering, weighing.

Now, I’m a man of many wishes

Hope my premonition misses

But what I really feel

My eyes won’t let me hide

‘Cuz they always start to cry

‘Cuz this time could be goodbye


Draco’s ending note rang in the stone room, and he waited for it to fade completely before speaking.

“Hi.”

“Hi.”

They just stood there and looked at each other for a while, the silence stretching. After a few moments, Draco spoke.

“Was there something you wanted?”

Ginny took a deep breath and nodded, moving farther into the room and sitting on the piano bench. “We need to talk.

Draco eyed her curiously, cautiously, for a moment before nodding. “Okay.




It was only 15 minutes before Ginny was finished, but it felt like a year. She stared at the floor ashamedly, choking on her tears as she waited for Draco to respond. She hadn’t been able to hold his gaze for longer than the first minute, so she hadn’t been able to gauge any reaction. And now he remained silent. Ginny chanced a glance at her estranged boyfriend and found his gaze on the floor as well.

“Draco, please say something.”

Draco was quiet for a few more minutes before he, too, lifted his eyes. “I’m proud of you, Gin.”

“I beg your pardon?” That was the absolute last thing Ginny had been expecting to hear.

“I know that was hard for you to say, and I’m glad you told me.”

When he didn’t continue, Ginny’s confusion grew. Why wasn’t he angry? “Is that all you have to say? No cold shoulder, no comments about ‘the irony of it all’?”

Draco shrugged, though his gray eyes were pained. “I already knew. Blaise paid me a little visit last night and couldn’t help spilling the story out of sheer guilt.”

Ginny hesitated. “How did you take it?”

“Let’s just say it’s a good thing he hid my wand the moment he arrived.”

“… and now?”

Draco closed his eyes momentarily, his expression obviously pained, and Ginny strangely took heart in this; he was being open with her again. “I can’t say that I’m not terribly disappointed and upset with you both, not to mention the huge amount of betrayal that happened here.” Draco paused to take a deep breath, obviously having as much trouble with his response as Ginny had with her confession. “We’re going to work through this, though.”

Ginny bit her lip, tears immediately rushing to her eyes. “Thank you.”




Blaise watched Draco and Ginny through the windows of the practice room, Ginny looking somewhat tentative but very happy, and he sighed. He knew he should be glad they’d worked things out, and he was to an extent, but part of him was having trouble calming the nagging attraction to that redhead. What was it about her that just made people stop in their tracks? Blaise appraised her for a second. She wasn’t gorgeous- pretty, yes, but not gorgeous. Her voice was amazing, but no one had known that before last year, and she’d been attracting attention far longer than that. What was it?

“Hey.”

Blaise started and sent at glare at his dark-haired cousin. “Don’t sneak up on me like that.”

“I wasn’t sneaking, I was walking. What’s the matter, Mr. Grumpy Gills?”

“What did you call me?”

“Muggle movie.”

“How-”

“Don’t ask.”

“… okay.”

“So, what’s wrong?”

Blaise nodded in the direction of Draco, who was watching Ginny sing something under Patrick’s direction. “They’re back together now.”

Natasha, oddly enough, grinned. “When life gets you down, know what you gotta do?”

“I’m dying to know,” Blaise said dryly.

Natasha answered in a sing-song voice. “Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.” Blaise reached out to push her, and Natasha danced out of his reach, switching to opera. “Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah. I love to sssswwwwwiiiiiimmmmmmmm! I lllloooooooovvvvveeeeee to swim, I love to swim-”

“Shut up.”

Natasha stopped singing and put a hand on her cousin’s shoulder. “There are other fish in the sea, Blaise. Set your sights on someone else and be happy for your friends.”

The music playing inside the room grew to a forte and floated out to where Blaise and Natasha were talking. The pair looked through the window again to see Ginny, eyes closed and face red, holding out a long note. As they watched, the song moved on.

And I’ll stand there with the Wizard

Feeling things I’ve never felt

And though I’ll never show it

I’d be so happy I could melt

And so it will be for the rest of my life

And I’ll want nothing else ‘till I die

Held in such high esteem

When people see me they will scream

For half of Oz’s favorite team


The music stopped completely, and Ginny’s eyes met Draco’s before she sang the last line of the song.

The Wizard and I!”
Leave a Review