She didn't know why she did it, going out into the rain like some sort of mad fool. Ron blamed it on the accident, claiming it had addled her brains to the point that she had lost all common sense, but she just knew it was something deeper, something that extended into the realm of her former life. Today was one such day. The sky had clouded in a riotous manner, and she found herself stepping out onto the lawn just as the first drops of rain tainted the stone steps.

Spinning about, she spread her hands out towards the heaven, a motion that made her seem as if she were trying to capture it all within the delicate hold her of grasp. Laughing softly, she continued spinning, the rain turning her rust hued hair a deep shade as it matted to her lean frame. The rush of joy she got from the rain was the great mystery of her life, or so she thought. It made her smile with regret and she didn't know why.

Little did she know, she was being watched; a pair of calm stormy eyes were following her progress across the lawn. He almost smiled. It was amazing to see the youngest Weasley in so vast a state of joy. Most days, Ginny Weasley ghosted through the halls, existing as a mere shadow of the woman who had once lived in the haven that was Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. But, here the ghost disappeared, a vague hint of her former self glittering at the surface like a beacon of hope. The doctors claimed that one day she would recover, that one day she would remember everything; but, it was too late. Her life would never be what it had been.

Halting with a laugh, Ginny turned her warm amber gaze to the scene before her - the lake was always so beautiful when tossed by the rages of a storm. Her breathing was heavy; all the spinning was still a bit much for her weakened state, but not even that could dim the joyous air about her. For a moment, she could almost hear something on the wind, a distant memory pleading for her attention...but then it was gone, just like the others that had come before it.

Brown eyes narrowed in confusion. She hated when that happened. It made her feel so...incomplete. There was something about the rain that haunted her. It was as if the largest part of her life was simply waiting to be found out in the rain, but she was simply the only person who couldn't see it. No one would tell her what had happened in her former life; the doctors had told her she needed to remember on her own. The past six months had been horrid, though, and she wished she knew just what was missing. Giving a frustrated sigh, the witch turned promptly back towards the school only to have something catch her eye.

Turning slowly back towards the lake, she spotted it once more. A lone form was seated at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, tucked beneath the protective bows of a rather hefty tree. Something about their posture seemed so sad, so horridly forlorn, that she felt as though she knew how this person felt. It was odd, and more than enough to draw her towards the tree in an almost halting manner.

Once she was closer, she determined that the person was a boy, despite the raven mess of his hair obscuring most of his features from her view. A light frown turning on her lips, she felt for a moment as if she should know him, but she figured he was just another person she had seen about school before the accident -- that was the case with most people she couldn't recall. Finally, just outside of the ring protected by the tree, Ginny halted and awaited his attention.

It took a few moments, but eventually he turned the stormy blue of his gaze -- for that was the color she determined them to be upon closer inspection -- towards her. Silence pressed in. Only the sound of the rain splattering upon the leaves echoed through the almost tense air as brown met blue in a wordless examination. One of his eyes, she noticed, had an odd iris that was almost crescent shaped. Finally he spoke, the resonant baritone of his voice stunning in the stillness, "Hello."

One word: that was all it took to make her start from the world of her reprieve. A hesitant smile was given. She was still not used to dealing with people she was supposed to know and was thus quite reluctant to speak to anyone outside of her close circle of friends. Not speaking, she gave him a nod and remained out in the rain so as to avoid getting close to him. “H-hello,” she finally stuttered, turning her gaze immediately upon her shoe.

Suddenly, something in the air changed, it was as if nature itself shifted when the boy began laughing in that rich tone of his. Ginny started and looked up from her shoe to find the most delighted sparkle glittering in the depths of his eyes. She resisted the urge to back up, finding herself all but glued to the spot as he carried on laughing. “You know, it is so odd to hear you speak...I had it on good authority that you don't talk to strangers.”

A vague hint of the old Ginny flared up at that; she felt as if she should have the daring to speak to this boy...but then it faded away as the echo of his voice dissolved into the past. Should I speak? She wondered, giving him the once over. He seemed nice enough, heaven knew his laugh was a lovely sound, but was that enough of a reason to make her answer him?

“Did I know you?” Apparently it was, for the words slipped unbidden from her chapped lips.

He considered her at that, his gaze rather unnerving as its full intent was focused on the willowy redhead. After a moment she blushed and started to rise, halting only when he spoke once more. “Me? No, not really. I knew you, of course, but that was when things were different.”

Intrigued, Ginny sat back down. Normally, she avoided people, but this one claimed she had never known him. That was odd. It seemed since the accident that everyone claimed she knew them, overwhelming her with names that simply didn't fit into the scope of a seemingly empty past life. “Why?” It was an odd question, but one that felt, to put it simply, right.

Another rich laugh hit the air at that; it seemed the boy was easy to amuse. “Why I knew you?” She nodded by way of answering. “I knew you because you were the brightest star of your House, not to mention the one with the most fire.” For the briefest moment, an almost rueful look graced his finely cut features before fading back into a mask of pleasantry.

“I kind of miss the stir you used to make. Being a wallflower does not suit you in the least.” The comment was an odd one, but managed to stir something in the depths of her brain.

~~~


“Ronald Bilius Weasley!” she shrieked, storming into the Great Hall with quite the dramatic flare. “You are going to DIE!” That said, the then healthy redhead launched herself at her sibling.

Being a stupidly over protective sibling, Ron had made the dire mistake of telling Ginny that she simply could not be with...the one she wanted to be with. Apparently, the foolish boy had cornered her lover, delivering quite the hex and sending the boy to the hospital wing. Ginny had just found out and, after checking on her beloved, come to kill the brat also known as her brother. Only the sound of amused laughter caused her to stop in the middle of trying to claw her brother's face off, her attention quickly turning to the source of that glorious sound. The only thing she saw when she turned was a pair of silver eyes bright with loving laughter.


~~~


Ginny started; it was the first time she had remembered something in over a month. Silently, she glanced over at the boy, wondering just how it was he managed to make her recall something that seemed so horridly simple and yet felt vaguely important. “W-who are you?” she managed to croak, watching him in what could be called a suspicious nature.

“Damien Livingston, at your service,” the black haired boy announced, dipping his head as if to emphasize his greeting. “Ravenclaw.”

Well, absolutely nothing about his name struck her as important, that much she was sure of. A brief glance was sent in his direction before she headed back to the castle, intent upon telling Hermione the memory before it faded back into the realms of the past once more.

Minutes passed as Damien watched her, stormy eyes alight with silent joy. She was starting to remember, it seemed, and that was a good sign. What a pity it was too late to save the man she had loved. He was gone.
Leave a Review