Title: Don’t Drink the Water
Name: rainpuddle13
Rating: Not Naughty
Characters/Ships: Draco/Ginny
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Notes: For desertraincloud- Gareth - Draco's reaction to finding out that Ginny is pregnant with him.

Summary: Ginny has a little surprise for her husband.

“There you are,” Draco said after finally locating his wife sitting on the side of the marble tub in their shared bathroom. She was dressed in his favorite pale peach colored silk nightgown, the one that always made his mouth water just looking at her. “What are you doing in here? You didn’t come back and I had to put Liam to bed by myself. He kept asking for you.”

Ginny didn’t look at him up, she just kept staring at a small clear glass phial filled with bright green liquid that sat on her vanity table. She scooted over a little to make room from when he attempted to sit down beside her.

“You’re cold,” he whispered as he brushed a stray curl from her bare shoulder. Her skin was cool to the touch, and he knew her bare feet must be freezing on the deep gray slate tile floor. Draco was quickly becoming concerned; it wasn’t like his wife to be so unresponsive.

“I know,” she finally said after a bit of delay.

He retrieved his thick dressing gown and her slippers from the other room; there was no way he was going to allow her to freeze to death. “Here,” he prompted, kneeling down to slip the shoes on her feet before draping the robe over her shoulders. “Care to tell me what this is all about?”

“I’m… I’m…” she trailed off in favor of pointing towards her vanity.

“I’m what?” he prompted, unable to tear his eyes away from what she was so obviously pointing at – the little glass bottle.

Ginny drew in a deep, shutting breath. “Pregnant.”

“Wha…wha…ut,” he stuttered, suddenly feeling as if all the oxygen in the room had been sucked out.

“Pregnant,” she said softly.

“How?”

A ghost of smile turned the corners of her mouth up slightly. “I’m going to have a baby.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, quite positive.”

“How can you be so sure?” Draco asked, fighting desperately against the urge to panic.

“The test is never wrong,” his wife answered calmly.

“Test? What test?”

Ginny got up to retrieve the phial full of the tell-tale green liquid. “This test.”

“What’s that?” he questioned, wishing he’d paid more attention to his wife when she’d natter with her sisters-in-law about baby business.

“A home pregnancy potion,” she explained carefully, “and it’s always accurate.”

“Always?”

“Always.”

“Oh, wow.”

The fearful look she was giving him nearly broke his heart. “Well?” Ginny asked cautiously.

Draco took a moment to process that fact that he was about to become a father of two. “I told you not to drink the water at the Burrow!”



Author notes: This is the ficlet I had the most trouble with so far because it fell directly in the middle of a planned set of stories which I've already gotten partial written. This scene is fresh though, and now makes me want to go back work on what I've already gotten a start on so I can continue this scene on to the planned conclusion... *revels in ebilness*

Leave a Review