Title: The Stolen Moment
Name: rainpuddle13
Rating: Not Naughty
Characters/Ships: Draco/Ginny, Rauri
Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, various publishers including but not limited to Bloomsbury Books, Scholastic Books and Raincoast Books, and Warner Bros., Inc. No money is being made and no copyright or trademark infringement is intended.
Notes: For kaumzuglaubenwho requested Draco when he's alone with Rauri for the first time after her birth. I don’t know if this is quite what you wanted, but this is what came to me. I hope it’s okay! Thanks to nokomis305 for the quick read through.

Summary: Draco spends a little quality time with his second favorite girl.


"I shouldn't be gone longer than two hours," Ginny told him as she searched for her handbag. "Rauri should be fine until then, but if I end up having to stay longer because Mrs. Moneypenny wouldn't shut up…"


"There is a bottle in the icebox," Draco finished for her. He stood in the doorway of his wife's office, cradling his six-week-old baby daughter in his arms. Rauri was looking impossibly adorable in a pink cotton romper with little bunnies and sprigs of flowers all over it. He was going to have to find the matching little hat with bunny ears on it to put on her the minute he got rid of his wife.


"If you need me, I will be at the Honeychurches’," she reminded him.


"I know, you've told me ten times in the past hour."


“There are clean nappies-”


“At the changing station, I know.”


“She likes a little airing out time and a very light dusting of powder.”


Draco had to bite his tongue to keep from tartly replying that this was not the first time he’d changed a soiled nappy. He nodded his head instead and mumbled, “Yes, dear.”


“She likes it pinned snugly or she’ll be fussy,” Ginny nattered on as she reluctantly slipped on her cloak before trying to take the baby from him. “Maybe I shouldn’t go.”


“Remember you’re electing the Treasury post today. Can you imagine if Mrs. Moneypenny won?” He knew it was a low blow to mention his wife’s most bitter critic, but desperate times called for desperate measures.


Ginny looked horrified by the mere thought that Mrs. Moneypenny might control the purse strings of her children’s charity group. “I should probably be there.”


“I think that might be wise,” he prompted her.


She gave the baby a tender kiss on the cheek before giving him a quick peck. “I shouldn’t be gone too long,” she said before Disapparating.


“Well,” Draco drawled slowly as he lightly bounced the bundle in his arms, “I thought she’d never leave!”


Rauri gurgled and smiled up at him as if she too approved of her mother’s sudden departure.


“So what would you like to do this afternoon, princess?” he cooed to his daughter, nuzzling his cheek against her ginger curls. “Snuggle? I think that’s a capital idea!”


He made his way upstairs to the bright and airy nursery that occupied the suite of rooms directly across from the master’s chambers of Agecroft Hall.


“I don’t know why your mum is so worried about leaving you in my care,” he said softly, settling down in the white rocking chair in front of the large windows with a view of the front gardens. “It isn’t like I have no experience with babies. I managed to take care of your big brothers by myself on occasion and they are no worse for the wear. Well, mostly anyway. Gareth does have that scar…”


Father and daughter sat in companionable silence for a long while, dozing lightly together; the only sound in the room was the soft rhythmic creaking of the ancient chair. It had once belonged to his wife’s great-grandmother on her mother’s side, and it had proudly been handed down mother-to-daughter for four generations. Draco didn’t even want to begin to think of the day that the comfortable chair was passed down. He figured he had at least twenty good years before he had to think about any of that unpleasantness.


He ran his fingers lightly over Rauri’s chubby cheek, smiling when she rewarded him with a little giggle. “You’re so beautiful, did you know that? I bet you don’t realize this yet, but you look just like your mummy, which is a good thing for you, princess, because she’s the most beautiful witch in the world. I’m going to have to hex more than one young wizard into the next century for just looking at you,” he grumbled as his protective fatherly instincts kicked in.


Rauri squirmed and kicked until her feet until Draco unwrapped them from the tangle of blanket, placing a tender kiss on each one before setting her completely free.


“And just know I’m going to have trouble telling you no, I can see it now, but I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with that, nuh uh.”


“But I might,” Ginny said from the doorway.


Draco jumped at the sound of his wife’s voice, jostling the very comfortable Rauri. “How long have you been standing there?”


“Long enough,” she said with a smile, taking the baby from him and patting her bottom gently before she could work herself into a full-on Malfoy snit.


“I thought you were going to be gone for a few hours,” he said guiltily. He was thoroughly embarrassed that Ginny overheard his private conversation with their daughter. He’d be devastated if his wife finally discovered that he really was a big softie under his cool, calm and collected Malfoy exterior after all these years.


“I’d had enough after an hour,” she said with a grin.


“What about electing Mrs. Moneypenny?”


“First order of business, and for the record, she was soundly defeated.”


“That’s good.”


“Uh huh,” Ginny purred, putting the baby down in the cot before turning to face him.


Draco could feel his stomach being to flutter under his wife’s intense gaze. “So what do you have planned for the rest of the afternoon since you kipped out of your meeting early?”


She pressed herself against him, wrapping her arms around his neck and placing feather light kisses along his jaw. “I thought I might show my darling, sweet husband just how much I adore him…”
To Be Continued.
Rainpuddle is the author of 23 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked The Timestamp Ficlets also liked 392 other stories.
Leave a Review