Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the characters you may recognize from the wonderful world of Harry Potter, they all belong to the revered JK Rowling; I just like to play with them a little.


BREAKING THE RULES

OPPOSITION




Draco couldn't believe how well everything was going with Ginny. They often crossed paths during the day — especially when he went out of his way — allowing them time for a quick snog in a secluded corner before they continued to their respective classes, and they spent most of their time together after classes until curfew.

She had even accosted him in the Quidditch change rooms after his Tuesday afternoon training session. A training session he'd had to deny her access to after complaints from his team. Rather than being angry, she had understood perfectly — informing him to expect much the same treatment from the Gryffindor team when their training session came about on Thursday afternoon — much to his relief, and she had snuck into the change rooms after everyone else had left. They had missed dinner that night, but neither of them minded.

It also seemed as though her brother had given up annoying them as well, not that Draco expected that to last, but for the time being it made things a little more pleasant. Apart from in classes, Draco had not seen Ron Weasley since the weekend, and in class the Gryffindor oaf seemed more distracted than usual. Perhaps it was because he'd heard the ridiculous rumors flying around about his activities with Pansy. Something like that would bother Weasel, because it messed with his reputation for hating Slytherins.

Draco had heard numerous recounts of what had happened in the courtyard on Sunday since Blaise first mentioned it, and he still didn't believe it. To make matters worse, the rumors had begun to grow with more fabricated reports of incidents in deserted classrooms, broom cupboards and various other locations around the castle. Like him, Ginny had scoffed at the idea that her brother would even look sideways at Parkinson, let alone lock lips with the witch.

Of course, Professor Snape had reported to his father about his reluctance to give up his pursuit of the 'Weasley girl', as each of them had so succinctly dubbed her. Lucius had, predictably, been furious and Draco had received an owl in which his father had made his feelings on the matter crystal clear. Draco had made certain Professor Snape was watching when he hit the missive with an Incendio.

What Draco liked most about his relationship with Ginny Weasley was the fact that it wasn't boring. In the past he'd hooked up with a girl, shagged her brains out a couple of times and then discarded her due to boredom. With Ginny he was learning something new every day. They hadn't yet taken their relationship beyond snogging and a few unintentional gropes, and he found he didn't really mind, even though he'd had to make more than one visit to the little wizard's room for personal comfort. He actually enjoyed talking to her, and the more they talked the more they found they had in common. Just knowing she cared for him made him feel warm inside, which was something very different to anything he'd previously felt for anyone who was not a blood relative.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Ron strolled down the corridor trying to appear casual, and failing miserably. In truth, he'd never been tenser. The past few days he had been a mess of guilt, nerves, and last, but certainly not least, lust. He had no idea what was really going on or why. All he knew was he had to put an end to the debauchery he'd found himself involved in. Of course, he'd been trying to put a stop to it, because it was wrong on every conceivable level, but every time he came within a few feet of those lips his mind seemed to go blank.

It was all her fault of course. If she had only looked at whom she was grabbing for a quick snog on Sunday he wouldn't be in this predicament. What made matters worse was her inability to just leave him alone, because he most certainly wasn't doing anything to encourage her. He'd even insulted her while waiting to enter Transfiguration on Monday. She'd retaliated just like normal, however, after class he found himself alone in a corridor with her. The next thing he knew he had lost ten points for being late to Potions and another ten for the silly grin plastered on his face that Professor Snape mistook for an insolent smirk. It wasn't as if he didn't try to wipe the smile from his face, because he did, but after a snog like that a wizard had a right to grin, right?

The rest of the week had gone much the same with Ron losing countless house points for tardiness between classes, because his hormones insisted on being heard. Of course, the loss of house points wasn't the worst of what was happening — even though they'd not been spotted together, since the courtyard incident, people were beginning to talk. If they were the last two out of a classroom, Ron had suddenly bent her over a desk for a bit of 'how's your father'. Both of them dismissed the rumors, easily at that, but it didn't mean they weren't somewhat disturbing.

All of a sudden he found himself in a broom closet. This wasn't fair. He wasn't even consciously choosing to walk into places like this; his legs were just carrying him. She was there, naturally.

"Look, Parkinson, we can't—" Ron looked down at the witch in the cramped space with him. The moment their eyes locked he briefly registered that it had been a monumental mistake to look at her. He shook his head in an attempt to clear his thoughts. Then she began worrying her pouty bottom lip with her teeth. He had to maintain his brain function if he was to get through this. "What I'm trying—"

"Weasley, just say it for Merlin's sake."

Her voice washed over him like a warm wave of honey. He could feel his good sense slipping away from him as his libido surged. "I don't—"

"Yes?"

"I—" he tried again, but his head began to dip—the traitor that it was.

"What were you saying?" she asked when he was mere inches from her face.

"Forgot," Ron mumbled, claiming her mouth fervently.

He could feel her delicate hands clutching at his old, faded cloak, trying to pull him against her curvy body. There was nothing he could do but surrender. The way she made him feel was too strong to deny, at least for the moment. She felt amazing under his hands. The swell of her breasts, the curve of her hips, and her tight bottom... How he wanted to feel all of her without any barriers.

They parted slowly, neither really wanting to release the other, but knowing they had to.

"Class," Pansy whispered.

"Mmm..." Ron's eyes snapped open, his senses returning to him in a rush. "Yeah, we should."

Pansy's hand stopped him from opening the cupboard door straight away. "Meet me tonight?"

His mind was screaming at him that it wasn't a brilliant idea, but with all the blood in his body now situated below his belt, his mouth seemed to be taking direction from his other brain. "Where?"

"I'll get word to you later."

"Okay, but I have Quidditch training."

"I know." Pansy smiled softly at the tall wizard. "I'll think of somewhere and let you know."

Ron nodded and opened the door of the cupboard. He stood in the doorway watching her run down the now empty corridor. They would both be late for class again, and he would most likely lose more house points or earn himself a detention. It occurred to him that he didn't really care and that was the greatest worry of all. For the second time in less than a week. he felt he'd gone barking mad.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Ginny stood at the head of the path leading to the Quidditch Stadium, her lips still tingling from Draco's kiss. At the moment, her gaze was firmly on his retreating back as he returned to the castle. Who ever thought that seeing Draco Malfoy would cause her stomach to flip-flop instead of her hand to twitch for her wand? It had been a week of madness, but she wouldn't have changed a thing. He was really putting an effort into getting to know her and their relationship was moving beyond physical attraction. In short, she was discovering that Draco Malfoy was a nice person under that attitude. Not to mention he had a sharp wit and was a worthy bantering partner in anyone's terms.

"You're still disappointing me, Weasley."

Ginny rolled her eyes and wondered just how long she'd be in detention if she maimed the irritating witch.

"I thought you would have given up this foolishness before now," Pansy continued.

"You'd like that wouldn't you?" Ginny spat. "You'd love to get your claws into Draco."

Pansy snorted. "Hardly."

"What is it you want then, Parkinson?"

Pansy regarded the furious witch in front of her. She knew she was playing a dangerous game and could very well be placing herself in some real danger if she pushed this Weasley too far, but she consoled herself with the knowledge that she was doing it for Draco's own good. "I want you to act as you're expected to act."

"I suppose you're going to tell me how that is?"

Pansy huffed impatiently. She knew this girl wasn't stupid, so why couldn't she simply take a hint? "Why don't I just tell you what you're not supposed to be doing?"

Ginny looked at her expectantly, but remained silent for fear it would be a hex that came out of her mouth rather than something more polite.

"You're not supposed to be falling all over yourself to be with him."

"I'm not," Ginny responded indignantly.

"Yes, you are, and the public displays of affection are rather nauseating. You're contaminating him with your loose morals."

"What?" Blood had begun to thunder through Ginny's system at a rate that was dangerous to anyone in the immediate vicinity.

"I know you Gryffindors don't give much credence to etiquette, but he's a Slytherin and we generally conduct ourselves with decorum. Which means that all this snogging and hand holding where everyone can see is simply out of the question."

"I know what you're trying to do, Parkinson, and it won't work," Ginny growled. "I won't stop holding his hand or kissing him where everyone can see, because if I do he'll think I've lost interest. You just want him for yourself and you're not going to get him while I've got anything to do with it."

"Oh, really?"

"Yes, and by the way... Draco told me himself that the thought of kissing you makes his stomach turn," Ginny added viciously.

"He didn't mean that," Pansy purred. Under the guise of throwing her hair over her shoulder she threw a quick glance at the castle. The Gryffindor Quidditch team was emerging, so she didn't have any time left if she wanted to get her message to the other Weasley.

"He did," Ginny retorted.

"Well, I have somewhere I need to be," Pansy announced before turning on her heel and strolling away as if she hadn't a care in the world.

Ginny stood, fuming at the arrogance of the girl. There was no way she was going to allow Parkinson to break them up, and if she thought she had a chance Ginny was going to make her regret the day she was born.

"Are you all right, Ginny?" Harry asked concernedly.

"Someone doesn't look happy," Ron commented, absently stuffing a small piece of parchment into his trouser pocket. "Who deserves hexing?"

"Parkinson," Ginny ground out. "I swear, if she comes near me again, I'm going to hex her clear into next week."

"What's she doing?" Ron asked anxiously. The thought of his sister hurting his current snog buddy was unexpectedly distressing.

"She's trying to get Draco! For some reason she actually thinks that warning me off every chance she gets is going to work."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Ron blurted.

"Ronald!"

"What? I don't have a problem with Parkinson trying to split you and Ferret up."

"Well, I do, so that makes it a problem," Ginny informed him sharply.

"Fine," Ron muttered.

Ginny pinned her brother with a dangerous glare. He was supposed to be on her side, no matter what. "I'm going to get changed for training, so don't come in until I come out."

She stormed off down the path without waiting for a response. Between Parkinson's idiocy and Ron's unsupportive attitude she was ready to throttle someone. A few hours in the air was exactly what she needed to calm down.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


Draco strolled down the path casually. He knew they weren't supposed to meet until after dinner, but he was at a loose end so he decided to wander down and walk Ginny back to the castle. Just as he rounded the bend he stopped. The entire Gryffindor team was coming towards him and by the sounds things weren't all that harmonious within the team.

"You didn't have to throw it at my head," Ron complained ardently.

"I don't know why you have a problem with it, Ronald. After all, you stopped the Quaffle. Isn't that your job?" Ginny snapped. "I should be the one annoyed, because it's my job to get it through the hoops."

"You bloody well aimed at my head!"

"Well, you should have ducked!"

"Then it would have gone through."

"And I would have done my job."

"Ron, Ginny, enough," Harry complained. "Ron, she just threw the Quaffle. She didn't aim for you."

"Could have fooled me," Ron grumbled.

"It's not hard," Ginny responded sharply.

"Merlin, give me strength," Harry muttered. He needed to separate the brother and sister before they declared war on each other. "Look, Ginny, isn't that Malfoy?"

"Yes," Ginny responded, increasing her pace.

Draco watched her come towards him. He wasn't quite sure what mood she was in at the moment. The smile on her face was welcoming, but the way she'd been speaking to her brother was of concern. "Hello. Did training not go as planned?"

Rather than answer the question, Ginny reached for her boyfriend's tie and pulled him down to her. His mouth was wet and warm, and exactly what she needed right now. It didn't take a genius to work out that it drove Ron Weasley nutters to see his sister with Draco Malfoy. She knew exactly when the team passed them, because she could hear her brother muttering things about ferrets and death.

Draco gently extracted himself not long after the Gryffindor team had passed. "Why do I have to feeling I was just used to upset someone?"

"Oh, the thought of me with you upsets him all the time," Ginny answered flippantly.

"Are you going to tell me what happened during training?"

Ginny frowned. "Why?"

"I'm not deaf, Ginny. I heard you coming up the path."

"Oh, it was nothing." Ginny shrugged and grinned at him cheekily. "Ron stopped the Quaffle I threw."

"Isn't that what he's supposed to do?"

Ginny nodded. "Yes, but we have to check the rule book to see if stopping the Quaffle with the Keeper's head is permissible."

"He stopped it with his head?"

"Well, I'm sure if he saw it coming he would have adjusted his position," Ginny admitted candidly.

Draco shook his head. "Remind me not to go anywhere near you on the Quidditch pitch."

"I wouldn't do that to you," Ginny purred, stroking his chest affectionately.

"You won't mind if I don't take your word for it, will you?"

Ginny hid her head in his chest and laughed.

"We have about an hour before dinner," Draco stated. "Like to take a walk or something?"

"I would," Ginny answered, taking his offered hand. "I've got so much homework that I'm going to have to go to the library after dinner and make a start on it."

"I was going to suggest a trip to the library tonight for homework." Draco winked at her sexily. "I have a bit to get through myself."

"Oh good, you can help me with my Potions."

"Can I now?"

Ginny rolled her eyes. "Of course, unless all those rumors about you being the best student Professor Snape has had in years are lies."

"I'm good at Potions!"

"Excellent! I need help, and as my boyfriend it's your responsibility to make sure I don't fail your best subject."

"Ginny, you must be good or you wouldn't have made it into N.E.W.T. Potions."

"Last year was a breeze, but this year is really hard," Ginny explained. "He's not giving us much direction. All he does is hint at what he wants and then expects us to produce it."

"And?"

"Well, I'm not that good at reading Snape's mind, nor do I want to be." Ginny shuddered for effect. "God only knows what creepy thoughts he has slithering around in there."

"He mostly thinks about Potions," Draco responded absently.

"How would you know? I know he's your Head of House, but—"

"He's also a friend of the family. I've known him since before I can remember."

Before she could stop herself, Ginny uttered, "Poor you."

"Excuse me?"

"Well, having to put up with Snape all your life."

"He's a very intelligent man and a formidable wizard," Draco stated conclusively.

"That's all well and good, but his personality leaves a bit to be desired."

"What you see at school isn't the man who visits my home."

"Come on, Draco, I don't think I've ever seen the miserable old bugger smile, and that says a lot about a person."

"McGonagall doesn't smile," Draco pointed out.

"Yes, she does," Ginny refuted.

"Well, I've never seen her smile."

"Maybe she doesn't like you?"

"How could she not like me? I'm a good student, I'd be her top student if it weren't for Granger, I'm polite, I don't disrupt her class—"

"Draco, it's not me you have to convince," Ginny interrupted softly.

"Well, I've never done anything to cause her to dislike me."

"And I've done everything to give Snape reason to like me, except kiss his arse, yet he detests the sight of me."

"He doesn't detest you. He doesn't know what to make of you."

"What?"

Draco closed his eyes and cursed himself silently. There were certain things, privileged information, he wasn't supposed to talk about.

"Draco, what did you mean?" Ginny pressed.

"Nothing, I shouldn't have said anything."

"You can't say that and then leave me without an explanation."

Draco stopped walking and turned to face her. "Look, Ginny, I can't say anything. If word ever got back to him, he'd never trust me again."

"I won't say anything, but I'm dying to know what he really thinks of me."

"Fine," Draco agreed. "Most Gryffindors are afraid of him or are openly hostile towards him, but you're neither and it confuses him."

"Confuses him?"

"Yeah, you're not like the rest, and he's not sure how he should deal with that."

Ginny laughed. "So, because I don't tremble in my shoes or talk to him rudely, he's confused?"

"Something like that," Draco admitted. "It's not like it matters."

Ginny followed when Draco started walking again. "When did he tell you this?"

"Who?"

"Snape."

"The other day."

"Do you discuss me a lot with your Head of House?"

"Only when he brings the topic of you up."

"How often is that?"

"Since last Friday, it's been every day."

"Why?"

"He thinks we're a bad match, and Father isn't terribly happy with me either, so he feels compelled to remind me of this."

Ginny fell silent, Draco's explanation playing over and over in her mind. He was obviously under pressure to end it with her.

"They're both getting most frustrated with me, because I refuse to listen to them."

"Umm—if you're getting too much grief wouldn’t it be better to—"

"No," Draco cut her off sharply. He didn't need to hear where she was going with her idea, he knew. "I don't want to listen to them, because they're both wrong about you. My father is speaking from years of prejudice and Professor Snape is simply passing on his words."

"I just—"

Draco stopped walking and again turned to face her, this time placing a finger under her chin, so he had her undivided attention. "I want to be with you and nothing they say can change that."

"All right," Ginny agreed softly.

He had no idea where these feelings had sprung from, but this week he'd not only surprised everyone else, he'd also astounded himself. The little voice in the back of his head that kept telling him Ginny was worth the trouble was still insisting he make the effort to get to know her. Time was moving on and he knew they needed to start back to the castle soon if they were going to make it in time for dinner, but before he reminded her of that he wanted to have a little entrée. From under hooded eyes he watched as her lids slipped closed just before he claimed her mouth.


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*


AUTHOR'S NOTES

Thanks to Rainpuddle13 for her amazing beta skills!
Leave a Review