It was an idea that could only have come from a Gryffindor. Ginny was all smiles when she told me about Granger’s idea to promote Inter-House Unity.

“Come on, Draco, it’ll be fun. All the sixth and seventh years, the Room of Requirement turned into an underground club, with karaoke. All four houses, no wands allowed.”

“Granger added that for me, didn’t she?”

“Actually, I think it was more for Ron and Harry. Even Hermione doesn’t think you’ve been a prat lately.”

“Well, that’s a relief…” My sarcasm wasn’t lost on the one who was quickly becoming my best friend, and perhaps a bit more than that. We were known to hold hands, but we’d never really talked about being more.

“Oh, Gin, I almost forgot to tell you. The Ministry’s released the family assets to me. Everything’s been changed so my father can’t touch it, if he is alive.” She looked at me, as if knowing there was more to come. “Happy late birthday, Gin.” I handed her the box that had arrived by owl that morning.

“Oh, Draco, you didn’t have to.”

“I wanted to; it’s not much, just a small token, to remind you that I care.”

She smiled as she opened the box to reveal a stuffed dragon charmed to respond to his owner. And underneath, a cloak to keep her warm. I’d noticed hers was rather worn, and it was such a small thing to do for her. She’d done so much for me.

“So, when’s this party of Granger’s anyway?” I had to ask, and that was light enough to keep things from getting too complicated.

“Two weeks, right after Hogsmeade weekend.” Gin was still holding her dragon as I tucked one of her long, red curls behind her ear.

“That reminds me, did you have a date for that yet?” I wanted to ask her myself, but I was strangely lacking in confidence when it came to her. Not to mention, this whole friendship thing was so new to me, I didn’t want to screw it up.

“Eh, I had a few offers, including Harry, but no one I really wanted to go with.”

“You turned down the savior of the wizarding world? What will your mum say?” I laughed as I spoke, a sound I was definitely getting used to since this unlikely friendship had begun.

“I imagine she’ll ask if it has anything to do with ‘that poor Malfoy boy’ I’ve befriended. She’s quite taken with the idea of us beating the odds at being friends. I think she’d even encourage more, if it didn’t mean giving up on the whole 'Harry marrying into the family' thing.”

“Well, what would you think about more, Ginevra?”

Her eyes widened with shock, and a bit of joy, if I wasn’t mistaken. “I think that if we became more, it wouldn’t be a bad thing.” She’d worked her face into a mask worthy of a Slytherin by the time she spoke. “I won’t deny the attraction, Merlin knows you’re definitely worthy of that Slytherin Sex God nickname I’ve heard you described as, but I don’t want to rush anything. I like being your friend.”

I smiled at her and tugged a curl.

“I like being your friend too. And if I denied the attraction, you’d know I was lying. So no pressure? We’ll just keep on as we have?”

“That works for me. Besides, half the school thinks we’re involved anyways. They’re just too afraid to say it around the Wonder Trio.”

I smirked at that. “Well, now that we’ve got that settled, will you go to Hogsmeade with me? And to Granger’s little party too?”

“I thought you’d never ask.”
Leave a Review