“Emma!”

“I’m here Megan!”

“Emma what are you doing? You’re sitting in here grading essays on…” She looked over Emma’s shoulder, “…on the relationship between Hinduism and Christianity?”

“It’s actually really interesting. The kids do have a very wide variety of explanations and connections.”

“We have a new neighbor waiting outside.”

“Megan, is she out yet?” Rachel yelled.

“I’m getting there!” she yelled back.

“Just come out, you’ll thank me for it later,” Megan said.

Emma scribbled a grade onto the paper she was grading and went out to see what was going on this time.

“Emma,” Rachel said, “you’re finally out here. Good. I’d like you to meet our new neighbor, Anthony Banks.”

“Pleased to meet you,” she said as she looked at a man not much older than herself. He was tall with a very pale complexion. He had brown hair that had pale blond roots, showing that it was obviously dyed. And as she looked into his blue-grey eyes, she sensed a connection that scared her.

“And you,” he replied.

“You must come over to dinner tonight,” Megan said. “It’s tradition in the little town where we come from.”

“Well then how could I refuse?” Anthony replied. “When will you be expecting me?”

“Seven should be good,” Emma said, cutting in. There was something about him that said that they weren’t on the same street by accident. He was here for one of them, and she wasn’t going to let him out of her sight if she could help it.

They all said their hasta luego’s and made there way into the house. Once they were all inside, Rachel stated her fears quite clearly.

“There is definitely something wrong with him,” Rachel said, “but I don’t care what he does as long as he doesn’t learn anything about us. And what were you two thinking by inviting him to dinner?”

“It is commonly said,” Emma explained, “that you should keep you friends close and your enemies closer.”

“Ok,” Rachel said, “but I really don’t know how I can be friendly with him.”

“You don’t have to be mushy,” Megan said. “All you need to do is pretend he’s really a friend.”

“Don’t worry,” Emma said, “you tend to do good enough –” Emma stopped in shock. “Did it occur to you that we, or the house, could be bugged?”

“To the park,” Rachel said. “I’ll drive,” she added, grabbing the keys and pushing a very shocked Megan and a scared Emma out of the door and into their Honda Civic parked in the driveway.

They turned onto the main road when Megan pointed out, “Rach, we’ve had a black sedan behind us for the last ten minutes.”

She turned into a side street and worked her way into the labyrinth.

“He’s still there,” Megan said quite calmly.

Rachel turned again, emerging onto the main road. “Let’s see if he can keep sight of us in this rush.”

“He’s having virtually no problem,” Megan said after another ten minutes.

“Any ideas Emma?” Rachel asked. All this time Emma had been huddling silently in the corner.

“Um…hit a u-turn? See if we’re not just going to the same place,” Emma replied, glancing around very quickly.

Rachel crashed her foot onto the breaks and turned the car in a 360, jolting the vehicle in the process.

“Still there,” Megan said. “What now?”

Rachel turned into another side street and worked her way into the alleyways. The sedan pulled up next to them and four big, burly men got out, each of them holding a gun.

“Get out,” the tall one said with a gruff, Arabic accent.

The three of them stepped out of the car very slowly.

“Emma,” Megan whispered, “can’t you pop us out of here?”

“I’ll…I’ll try,” she replied with a shaky voice.

“And no talking,” the man boomed. He signaled to one of the other men who came and grabbed Rachel.

“Which one is the traitor?” Megan poked Emma in the side.

Emma closed her eyes and thought of the park. The green grass swaying in the wind and the clear blue lake with all the happy families boating there. The children playing in the sand and on the playground. The couples sitting under trees and on benches.

Rachel, realizing what was happening, grabbed a hold of Emma, and when she realized the man behind them was joining them, she quickly slugged him with her firearm and held on tightly to Emma. It wasn’t until later that they realized that there was an extra someone next to them, but not with them. Someone traveling with their own magic.

Author notes: Please read and review
-Draco'z Devil

Leave a Review