It's been a long year
Since we last spoke
How's your halo?
Just between you and I
You and me and the satellites
I never believed you
I only wanted to
Before all of this
What did I miss?
-For Blue Skies by Strays Don't Sleep

Lucius sneered at the calm replica of himself holding a wand to his throat. Without warning, he sent a curse towards his son, who neatly ducked and avoided it. When the others that were gathered saw this, fighting broke out between all of the Death Eaters and the other teenagers. Ginny battled McNair, Harry fought Avery, Hermione was against Bellatrix, Ron fought Parkinson, and Blaise dueled Nott.

Just as Draco saw Ginny barely miss being hit by a random Unforgivable, his father sent another curse his way, causing him to miss whether Ginny returned the attack or not. She had been doing an excellent job of missing her opponent’s curses so far, but then, Draco supposed knowing when they were going to attack helped.

“Give it up, boy,” Lucius snarled as a curse Draco had thrown cut a large gash into his shoulder. “There are forces at work here that you have no understanding of. It won’t stop with just us; he’ll send more. What are you going to do when he sends an army to fight the six of you?”

Draco grinned as he deflected another spell. “Maybe see a challenge?”

Lucius’ face contorted angrily. “You are arrogant, son. You cannot defeat the Dark Lord, no matter the friends you may have acquired.”

“We’ll see,” Draco returned easily before being knocked to the ground.

So involved had he been in his banter, he’d ignored the people behind him for a moment. Therefore, when his aunt gained the upper hand in her fight with Hermione, she had turned to aim the Killing Curse at his back. Ginny had pushed him out of harm’s way just in time, her own opponent incapacitated.

Ginny aimed a curse at Bellatrix from the ground, as Draco shot one in his father’s direction. When they realized they had both hit their mark, Draco stood, lending Ginny a hand. She took it gratefully and brushed her jeans off.

“Where’d she go?” Ginny asked, her eyes searching for Bellatrix. “Hermione’s in bad shape, Draco. She needs help.”

Draco nodded, setting off towards the injured girl. Growing up in his household, he’d learned more than his fair share of healing spells, and had been dubbed the team’s Mediwizard.

Ginny turned to see Draco’s father standing, despite the large piece missing from his shoulder, and the wound from his forehead that was pouring blood. She smirked, knowing the first move he’d decided to make. With a simple twist, she managed to miss the Cruciatus curse he aimed at her.

“Where’d my son go? Too afraid to fight an old man such as his father?” Lucius spat at her.

Ginny just smiled. “He was kind enough to let me play with you for a moment. He was excited to be after his aunt Bella, but I’d rather be fighting you anyway.”

She launched towards him fiercely, throwing curses she’d never before used in an attempt to bring him down. She knew that if she didn’t, Draco would have to. It wouldn’t pain her to kill this horrible man, but it would break his son.

“He’s no match for Bella,” Lucius assured her with a malicious grin. “Draco will be dead before he realizes what happened, and you all will realize that this is a losing battle.”

Ginny focused on the battle that was taking place across the hill. In her mind’s eye, she could feel Draco’s own assurance that everything was under control, that everything would be fine. She watched for a moment as Bellatrix screeched her delight as one of her spells hit him. Although her Cruciatus curse had been fierce, he merely gritted his teeth as he let the pain wash over him.

Ginny turned her attention back to the battle at hand. She threw a Stunning spell, hoping that it would contain him so that she wouldn’t have to kill him. However, even in his injured state, he was able to avoid the spell, quickly throwing one of his own back. Ginny felt as if her arm had been set on fire,

Her right arm, the one not holding her wand, had a large gash running from wrist to elbow and so deep that she could see the bone. Holding back the urge to faint, she focused on fighting back with every bit of strength she had.

*****

Draco panted as the body of his aunt Bellatrix finally fell to the ground in a heap. He’d run over to where she was trying to double-team Blaise after he’d done what he could for Hermione. He hadn’t used one Unforgivable on his aunt yet, though the spells he had used would probably be considered such if the ministry actually caught wind of what they did. He stepped over his dead aunt’s body in disgust, hurrying back to where his father and Ginny had been fighting.

He watched as Potter and Avery continued to duel, and Ron choked his opponent with a bit of rope. His attention automatically turned to Ginny as he heard her voice call out a curse with fierce passion. Draco could tell by her breathlessness that she was injured.

Draco ran towards the fight, hoping that Ginny hadn’t been hurt too severely. Upon arriving at the scene and seeing the blood covering her body and her pale face, he went crazy. He launched curses at his father with a fierceness he hadn’t known he’d possessed, crippling the older man quickly.

When Lucius Malfoy was on the ground, Draco went to stand over him. Draco grabbed the front of his bloodied robes, bring his face even closer than it had been to his own.

“You were never my father,” Draco growled softly. He spat in his father’s face, lowering him back to the ground.

As soon as Draco turned to check on Ginny, he heard his father start the Killing Curse. However, Lucius had only gotten halfway through when Ginny said her own. Ginny was quicker, and Lucius fell to the ground before his spell could be complete.

Draco looked at the body on the ground for a mere second before turning back to Ginny.

“How’s Hermione?” she asked breathlessly, the color slowly fading from her face.

Draco kneeled beside her on the ground, taking her hand. “She’s going to be fine. She’ll have a bump to the head that’ll hurt like hell for a few days,” Draco amended, “but ultimately she’s going to be just fine.”

Ginny smiled weakly. “And the others?”

“They’re all finishing up now, too,” he assured her softly. “In fact, Potter took the longest with Avery. Doesn’t speak well for the fate of the wizarding world, does it?”

Ginny coughed out a laugh. “Can’t say I’ll be around to see much more of it.” Draco’s surprising look made her cough another wry chuckle. “Short life span, remember? I was so busy trying to see whether everyone else’s fights were going the way I’d seen that I lost focus. Think I’ve lost too much blood to recover, now.”

Draco rubbed her arm soothingly, murmuring his disagreements. “We’ll fix this, I swear.”

Ginny smiled as his calloused hand moved up and down her good arm. “It’s okay. Only, Draco?” she asked uncertainly. He looked down at her face concernedly. “He was going to kill you, Draco. I had to do it. I had to kill him before he killed you. I’m sorry,” she whispered.

Draco rolled his eyes and kissed her forehead. “I know,” he said dejectedly. “I heard him start the curse.” He smoothed back her hair over her forehead. “We’re going to get you fixed up, okay? You’re going to be alright, I promise.”

“Yeah,” Ginny said softly as she closed her eyes and enjoyed the feel of Draco’s warm hand. “Would you hold it against me if I told you I love you? Because I’ve lost a lot of blood.” Draco looked thoroughly shocked. “I just wanted you to know, just in case you can’t keep your promise.”

Draco sat silently for a moment, shocked by her revelation. When the joy hit him, he vowed that she would be okay, if he had to kill everyone he knew to make it happen.

“I love you, too,” he said reverently, holding her face in one of his hands. “That’s another promise.”

Ginny smiled as she leaned her head against his stomach. Within seconds, she was unconscious. Draco tried waking her up, but she wouldn’t open her eyes. For the first time since he could remember, Draco felt his eyes begin to water. Before he knew what was happening, a tear fell on Ginny’s robes.

The rest of the group rushed over, realizing that something was wrong. Ron and Blaise were the first to arrive, running faster than Draco had ever seen anyone run.

“What happened?” Blaise asked when he got to Draco. He then saw Ginny’s broken body lying in Draco’s arms. “No,” he whispered to himself.

Ron didn’t bother with words, but broke down sobbing when he saw his sister’s seemingly lifeless form lying in the arms of his once enemy. Hermione sobbed openly when she caught sight of what lay over Ron’s shoulders. Harry grit his teeth and grimaced, quickly turning towards Hogwarts’ gates.

“What happened?” Blaise asked as tears fell down his cheeks.

Draco looked down at the fragile girl in his arms. “She’s not dead, only unconscious,” he clarified. “But if we don’t find her a medic and soon, she will be. She and my father were fighting, and he got the better of her for a minute. She’s lost a lot of blood.”

Blaise looked up when he heard several footsteps hurrying behind him. He turned to find Snape and Madame Pomfrey, with Harry standing behind them. A magical stretcher followed the med witch out to where the group of students were huddled.

“Oh dear,” Madame Pomfrey whispered as she watched Draco wordlessly place Ginny on the stretcher. “Oh my.”

Snape’s grim expression turned to Draco and Harry, who were standing the closest.

“I will need to be informed of what has happened, while Poppy is working on Miss Weasley.”

Draco nodded stiffly, his eyes following the med witch’s form as she walked back into the castle, the stretcher mindlessly following.

Snape gesture for the other teenagers to follow him as he walked through the warped gates.

Author notes: Please review!

Leave a Review