“When she looks at you with doubt… back yourself up.”

“Go on a date with me,” he said so suddenly she almost missed it.

“Healer Malfoy,” she started.

“I’m not your teacher any longer, Ginny. Call me Draco.”

She paused for a moment, digesting the request.

“Draco, I’m not so sure that’s such a good idea,” she replied uncertainly.

“Why not?” he questioned, moving closer.

“Do you want me to name all the reasons, or just the top ten?” she countered, increasing the space between them by taking a step back.

“I require a good reason, Ginny,” he answered skeptically. He crossed his arms and leaned against the wall, looking at her as though he had already won.

“That still leaves at least a hundred other reasons why we can’t date,” she told him, using her hands for a bigger effect.

“None of those reasons matter!”

Ginny didn’t think that it was rocket science. After all the time she was his student, he had proved himself as a smart guy. Even a person with mediocre intelligence would know that a Malfoy and a Weasley are not compatible.

“Draco, you can’t ignore reality,” she said, moving to up her coat.

He hadn’t anticipated on her being so difficult to convince. Normally, he didn’t have this much trouble securing a date. She didn’t even consider his proposition for a second.

“Ginny, let’s place a bet on it,” he told her confidently.

“A bet? Are you serious?” she questioned, turning to face him.

“Yes, a bet. If I can guess the number in your head, then you have to go on a date with me,” he explained.

After weighing the consequences for a minute, Ginny informed him that she had a number.

“Five hundred and seventeen,” he said immediately.

Ginny’s jaw dropped, and he knew that he had gotten it correct.

“How did you know?” she asked, shocked.

He simply flashed a smile at her.

“I’ll meet you at eight o’clock tonight, Ginny, at the Beau Rivage in Muggle London. Do you know where that is, or should I pick you up?”

In truth, Ginny had no idea where it was, but she didn’t want him to know that. She told him that she knew exactly where it was and would be there at eight.

**

It wasn’t until Ginny was back at her flat that she realized she had no idea what sort of dress attire was required at this restaurant. Ginny stared at her closet for close to an hour, hoping that her mind would subconsciously lead her to the perfect outfit. When that wasn’t working, she went to plan B.

“Hermione?” Ginny asked through the Floo.

“Ginny, is that you?”

Ginny could hear the voice, but couldn’t see its owner. After a few more seconds, Hermione’s head popped into sight.

“Hermione! Have you heard of the Beau Rivage?”

Hermione thought for a moment, then her face illuminated as she thought of the answer.

“Oh, I have heard of that place! It’s very dressy! Why do you need to know Ginny?” Hermione asked, but her fireplace was already empty.

**

It took Ginny nearly another hour to get ready after talking to Hermione. After she finished up all the final touches, she walked to Muggle London and caught a taxi to Beau Rivage.

After paying the driver, she took a deep breath in, smiled at the doorman, and walked into the huge lobby of the high rise building. After speaking with the receptionist, she learned that she needed to take the lift to the top floor of the building.

Now, Ginny was standing outside the lift, looking at herself in the mirrored doors.

“Waiting for an invitation?” a silky voice questioned from behind her.

She jumped at the intrusion of her space.

“I don’t require an invitation,” she said stubbornly.

“Then why have I watched you standing outside the lifts for the last five minutes, never moving to touch the button?” Draco asked cockily.

She bit her lower lip, then punched the button with far more force than necessary. She walked into the lift, him following in her wake. Finally, she spoke, never looking at him.

“I don’t like the idea of going in lifts alone. If I’m going to get stuck in a lift, I’d much rather be stuck with someone else. I was just waiting for someone else,” she explained.

“Ah, I see,” he acknowledged. “I’m glad that you’d like to be stuck in a broken lift with me, Ginny,” he told her cheekily. “By the way, you look stunning,” he added before she could retort to his earlier comment.

She looked up at him, searching his eyes for any malicious intent.

“Thank you,” she told him, deeming his intent benign. “You don’t look so bad yourself,” she added with a smile.

He smiled down at her as he took her arm and led her out of the lift.

**

“So, Draco, I’m curious as to why you asked for this little dinner date,” Ginny asked between bites of her filet.

Draco nearly choked on his water, unprepared for this question. Up to this point, they’d been talking about the weather and the latest news of the up-and-coming Quidditch star. Now, she wanted to know about his intentions.

He took a few moments to regain his composure before he countered, “Why not?”

Inwardly, he cringed at his response. It was not one of his most eloquent statements.

She merely raised her eyebrows at him, clearly unimpressed by his answer. After waiting a few beats, she decided on a new question.

“Why St. Mungo’s? How did the infamous Draco Malfoy wind up as a lowly Healer at St. Mungo’s?” she asked.

Draco wished he had answered the other question. He couldn’t go back now, however.

“I had always had a knack for healing. I became a medic in the war. After the war, I was out of a job and went back to school to become a Healer. The rest, my dear, is history,” he finished with a wink.

“That’s it? Eight years of your life consolidated into two sentences?” she questioned skeptically.

“I’m not sure what you’re asking, Ginny,” he replied as lightly as he could, given the line of questioning.

“You somehow wound up on the light side, healing Order members. Yet, at Hogwarts, you seemed to be on track to stand next to your father and Voldemort. A bit of a one-eighty, and, if you ask me, a one-eighty can’t be explained in two sentences, Draco,” she drawled, emphasizing his name.

They were both startled out of their staring contest when their waiter appeared next them.

“Would either of you care for dessert?”

**

Their desserts arrived, neither mentioning their previous conversation. Neither person had forgotten about it either, however.

Ginny closed her eyes and moaned in throat as she tasted the first bite of her Dutch Apple Streusel Cheesecake. When she opened her eyes, she was startled to see her date staring amusedly at her.

“Would you like some?” she asked, motioning with her fork, attempting to end the awkwardness.

Draco nodded and she handed him her fork. He looked at her hand uncertainly.

“You’re old enough to feed yourself, I presume,” she told him cheekily.

“Of course,” he answered, recovering. He took a bite and was suddenly extremely jealous that he hadn’t made the same dessert choice she had.

“Amazing, right?” she prompted, moving to take her fork back. He moved it out of her reach every time she made a move for it, eventually returning with another bite of the delectable cheesecake.

“It really is amazing,” he said, fire alight in his eyes, a smirk dancing on his lips.

“Two can play at this game,” she threatened teasingly, stealing his fork and a piece of his traditional cheesecake. They continued to fight over their desserts long after both pieces were gone.

**

Draco had offered to walk her home after dinner. She was grateful for the company, since taxis were not very common on this side of town.

They talked about trivial things on the way back to her flat, occasionally bumping hands before she moved away from him again.

She thanked him when they had finally arrived at her door. Just as she was about to walk in, She heard him begin to speak.

**

“It was an obsession,” he told her solemnly.

Ginny turned around at his sudden statement. She searched his eyes for a hidden meaning as she waited for him to elaborate.

“What was an obsession?” she asked quietly.

“Saving people. No one can truly understand the enormity of power until they hold the life of another in their hands. After the war, I went back to society life, but I never fit in there. It wasn’t who I was. I enrolled in medical school the next semester. It’s what I’m meant to do, saving people,” he finished, mumbling the last few words.

He wasn’t sure what he had hoped to gain from his confession, but before he could think about it, the words were already out. The fact that she hadn’t responded left him silently cursing himself.

“Thanks for a great night, Ginny,” he said finally, before turning to leave.

**

Her head was still reeling from Draco Malfoy’s confession. She was surprised to hear him speak so bluntly. Her mind barely registered that he had wished her good night and was walking down her steps.

Involuntarily, she moved down the steps and reached out her arm to grab his arm. She spun him around and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek.

He looked at her curiously when she pulled back.

“I just wanted to say thanks,” she told him by way of explanation.

“Your welcome,” he responded, a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Author notes: So that's the end of this chapter! More advice to come! Are you guys out there taking notes?

Leave a Review