Ginny pushed herself out of bed and stared at her reflection in the mirror.

Ignoring her red eyes, she examined her clothes. Were they that bad? She’d never paid much attention to her clothes. It wasn’t like she had many options. She wore what her mum bought. Her parents bought what they could afford.

She couldn’t fault them for that.

Her mum had promised to send her a new skirt. One new skirt wouldn’t bring her up to Malfoy standards.

If only she’d never dosed Malfoy with the twin’s Animagus potion. He never would have turned into the nice boy who’d stolen her heart.

She could have continued hating him.

Things would’ve continued the way they should have.

What options did she have now?

She reached for her hairbrush and brushed out the days tangles. If only she could unravel the complicated knots of her life as easily.

Picking up her wand, she charmed her hair blond. When she was younger she’d longed for blond hair. The color just didn’t work on her. She tried a variation on the spell and charmed her hair a glossy brown.

Brown worked.

It just wasn’t her. She was a Weasley after all. Weasleys had red hair.

She charmed her hair back to it’s appropriate color and pondered whether she was brave enough to shave her head and send Malfoy the hair he loved so much in the morning post.

That might be taking things a bit too far.

A tapping on the bedroom window made her jump. She turned to find an unfamiliar owl perched on the window ledge. He carried a small box.

It was odd for post to come at night. Maybe her mum had sent the skirt special delivery.

After giving the owl a treat, she placed the box on her bed. A quick examination showed no return address or label of any kind.

When she pried the lid open, she saw Gryffindor colors. The fabric she picked up proved to be a skirt. It appeared to be brand new. Ginny shucked off her pajama bottoms and stepped into the skirt. It hung down past her knees, and somehow managed to accentuate her calves.

She twirled in front of the mirror. Malfoy wouldn’t think much of her new skirt, but it made her feel better. She turned back to the box expecting to find a note.

Inside the box lay another skirt.

Ginny pulled the second skirt out, and a third and a fourth. The box must be charmed to hold far more than it should be able to. Under the skirt she found five blouses, three ties, six pair of socks, and two pairs of shoes.

Where had her parent’s gotten the money for this?

She lifted out a piece of the tissue paper lining the box and found a green envelope.

Crap.

With a feeling of trepidation, she opened the letter.

‘Perhaps you should wait for someone to finish a conversation before running from the room. My mother had offered to purchase you appropriate clothing, and I was merely repeating her message.

If you would like to spend time with me, wear these.

If you choose not to wear them, I’ll sit next to Pansy at breakfast.

Regards,

Draco

P.S. I halfway expect to receive your hair in the post tomorrow.’


Ginny stared at the note. The tone was somewhere between insulting and teasing. On the one hand, he’d given her beautiful clothes. On the other hand, he wouldn’t be seen with her unless she wore them.

She desperately wanted to wear the beautiful new clothes.

Would that be giving in to him?

Was the boy she liked starting to surface? There had been a few moments in the library where affection seemed to be mixed in with the lust.

Merlin help her, she had no idea if she should trust him.

She folded the clothes and placed them in her trunk. The box she would keep under her bed. It might be useful to hide gifts from the twins. Out of curiosity, she tried to see how far she could stick her arm into the shallow space. Her hand encountered something soft under the remaining sheet of tissue paper.

When she moved the paper aside, she found new knickers.

A blush crept up her face as she lifted out the white garments edged in lace. She prayed that Draco hadn’t been involved in their purchase. She chose to believe the flowers embroidered on the bras were just a coincidence.

***

The next morning, Ginny dressed quickly and set out to find Hermione. Odds were she’d find her friend downstairs on the couches studying.

Hermione looked up at the sound of Ginny’s footsteps. “Why do you look guilty?”

She felt her cheeks heat up. “Notice anything different about me?”

“Those are new clothes.” Hermione set her book down. “Did the twins send them?”

Ginny shook her head. “No. Last night, Draco said-”

Hermione slammed her book. “I thought you were going to avoid him.”

“I went to the library last night to look into breaking the bond. He was there as well. We called a truce-”

“How long did that last?”

“If you’d stop interrupting me I could tell you,” Ginny snapped.

Hermione held her hands up in a sign of surrender.

Ginny joined her on the couch. “Anyway. We were civil for a while. Then we argued. Then he kissed me.”

Hermione frowned. “You do realize, ‘we argued and then he kissed me’ makes no sense at all.”

“It wasn’t like he insulted me and I threw my knickers at his head.”

Hermione shot her a pleading look. “Please tell me you kept your knickers on.”

“Of course I did. Like I said, we kissed. He even sort of let me hug him.”

“How generous of him.”

Ginny placed her hand over Hermione’s mouth. “Shut it. I need your help and you’re just brassing me off.”

Hermione rolled her eyes.

After dropping her hand, Ginny continued her story. “I asked if he’d walk me back from the library. He said I had to wear better clothes if I wanted to be seen with him. I left. Half an hour later I received a box of new clothes and a note from Draco that was almost nice.”

Hermione raised a brow. “Can I talk now?”

Ginny nodded.

“You misunderstood his offer to buy you a new wardrobe because he was being a condescending git?”

She nodded again.

“He was sort of nice in his note? What does that mean?”

“He teased me a bit by threatening to sit with Pansy if I didn’t wear the clothes.”

“You feel guilty because you want to wear the clothes but don’t know if you should because the intention behind the gift wasn’t to make you happy but rather to raise you up to his obnoxious Malfoy standards.”

“Exactly. But there’s more. I don’t think he would have sent me the clothes if he didn’t want me to spend time with him. Are the clothes a controlling way for him to say he wants my company?”

“Divination was never my best subject,” Hermione quipped.

“Use your talent for logic instead and tell me, what should I do?”

“If it was me, I’d keep the clothes and get rid of him.” Hermione picked up a book and placed it in her bookbag. “Since it’s not me, all I can do is advise that you be careful. There may be shades of your nice Draco in this Draco, but there is also a lot of Lucius in there.”

“That is a disturbing thought.” Ginny sighed. “I want to believe that my Draco is fighting to get out.”

“He could be.”

“So, how are things going with my brother?”

Hermione grinned. “Things are great.”

Ignoring the pang of jealousy in her gut, she tried to be a good friend. “I’m happy for you. Are you waiting to walk to breakfast with Ron?”

“He should be down in twenty minutes. You can walk with us if you like.”

Students were drifting down the steps in twos and threes. “I’ll go on ahead. You and Ron can make your grand debut as a couple without a third wheel.”

“Thank you for putting it in those terms. Now I’m worried I’ll fall down on the way to our table.”

“If you fell, Ron would catch you.” Ginny knew this to be true. If she fell, she wasn’t sure the same could be said of Draco.

Ginny walked into the Great Hall with Lavender and Seamus by her side. She sat facing the Slytherin table. Draco made eye contact with her and nodded. She rolled her eyes and concentrated on buttering her toast.

Pansy entered the Great Hall drawing attention with her over abundance of cleavage and her come hither walk. The bint was headed straight for Draco.

In a move that seemed completely unplanned, Draco placed his bookbag on the seat next to him and began to sort through his belongings. Pansy sat on the other side of the bag batting her eyes at him.

Ginny felt her blood pressure spike.

Millicent walked up to the table, and Draco removed his bag. Millicent dropped into the empty space before Pansy could make her move.

Ginny released the death grip she’d had on her juice glass.

Had Draco planned that with Millicent, or had it been good timing on the large girl’s part?

“Hey, Gin. How was your trip to the library last night?” Harry asked as he sat next to her.

“It turned out better than I expected.” She passed him the butter before he could ask for it. “Thanks for walking me there.”

Harry took the butter plate and stared. “You look nice. Are those new clothes?”

“Thank you. They are.”

Harry pushed his glasses up on his nose. “Were they a gift, or an apology?”

Ginny sipped her juice while she contemplated his question. “I’m not sure. Draco and his parents offered to by me new school uniforms because mine weren’t up to their standards.”

“Nice.”

“Yeah, but here’s where it gets sticky. He said he wouldn’t spend time with me unless I wore nicer clothes. The fact that he gave me nicer clothes leads me to believe that he wants to spend time with me.”

Harry nodded. “That and the fact that he groped you in the library last night.”

“What?” Ginny dropped her fork.

Harry chuckled. “Ginevra Weasley, what would your mum say?”

“You were guessing?”

He nodded. “You fell into my trap.”

She poked him with her fork. “Git.”

Hermione and Ron joined them. “Try your interrogation trick on them,” Ginny suggested.

Harry cringed. “No thank you. I do my best not to think about them.”

Ginny realized she was having a nice morning. She looked over at Draco and saw a less than friendly expression on his face. His eyes flicked to Harry and then back to her. He raised his eyebrows in a questioning manner.

She rolled her eyes at Harry and then grinned at Draco. His glare lessened.

When she finished her food, she exited the Great Hall, hoping Draco would come and find her. Not wanting to look too obvious, she stood off to the side of the hall and pretended to search through her bookbag.

A throat being cleared caused her to look up. While Draco didn’t appear warm and loving he did seem amused.

“I like how you handled Pansy this morning,” she told him.

He nodded. “I upheld my part of the bargain.”

She expected him to say she looked nice.

He didn’t.

Feeling obligated, she said, “Thank you for the clothes.”

He surprised her by reaching for her hand. “Walk with me.”

She was at a loss for conversation, so she kept quiet.

When they reached an alcove with a bench, he sat down and released her hand. She joined him on the bench.

“Why did you give me these clothes?”

He frowned. “I told you. If we are to spend time together you needed to dress appropriately.”

“In other words you gave them to me because you want to spend time with me.”

“I don’t like the way that sounds,” Draco reached to play with her hair.

“You don’t hate me.”

“I do. Sometimes. Not all of the time.” He wrapped a lock of her hair around his finger. “Sometimes I like to be near you.”

Sorry she’d asked, Ginny said, “I considered sending my hair to you in a box.”

He snorted. “That would qualify as cutting off your nose to spite your face. Although I suppose it would be cutting off your hair to spite your mate.”

After the words left Draco’s mouth, he blinked. “That came out wrong.”

“I don’t believe it did,” Ginny grinned.

He dropped her hair. “Don’t read too much into poor word choice. When we figure out a way to break this bond it will be back to life as usual. Malfoys and Weasleys will go back to hating each other.” He smirked at her. “All will be right with the world.”

Irked, she stood and picked up her bookbag. “If you really hated me, you wouldn’t have given me these clothes. In fact, giving me these clothes signifies that you want to spend time with me.”

“No it doesn’t.” His face flushed.

She grinned. “I’m pretty sure it does.”

He jumped to his feet. “It does not.”

Enjoying herself immensely, Ginny batted her eyelashes at him. “Does too.”

He pointed his finger at her, but seemed unable to put his thoughts into words.

She reached out and took his hand. “I know. It was a shock to me at first to.” Moving closer, she stood on tiptoe and whispered. “We’re good together.” She pressed her lips against his cheek and left Malfoy, speechless and red-faced, in her wake.
To Be Continued.
CCC is the author of 47 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 61 members. Members who liked Getting Lucky also liked 1175 other stories.
Leave a Review