Ginny lunged for the door, pulling Draco along with her. She had no idea where she was going. The staircases weren’t cooperating, and they ended up in a dusty hallway, which led to dustier rooms.

“Where are we?” she asked.

“I was following you,” Draco stated.

“That was not a wise move on your part.” Ginny laughed. “I just wanted to get away from Snape.”

She turned to find a confused look on the blond boy’s face.

“What’s wrong?”

He frowned. “I’m not supposed to like you.”

“Oh,” Ginny blew out a breath.

“You’re a Weasley.” His voice took on a sharp edge and he dropped her hand.

The hair on the back of Ginny’s neck stood up. It was a damn fine time for the potion to wear off. She backed up a step. “I’ll just go back to my room.”

He blinked. “I don’t want you to go.”

She continued edging away. “What do you want?”

He moved toward her. “I want to hold you and touch your hair.”

“Why?” she bit out.

“I don’t know. I should be ridiculing you and trying to scare you off. Having you afraid of me always made things easier.”

“Made things easier for who?” she asked.

“For me.” He studied her as if he was searching for an answer.

Her breath caught as she waited to see if Evil Draco was going to come out and play.

He gave a warm laugh. “I’m sorry. It’s like I was someone else there for a moment. I don’t want you to be afraid of me. I need you.”

Should she trust him? Was he setting her up just to knock her down? He moved forward and pulled her into a hug.

“I want to protect you and keep you safe.”

She closed her eyes, reveled in his warmth and allowed herself to believe in the fantasy. “I’d like for you to keep me safe.”

“Let’s see if we can’t figure out where we are.” He kissed her forehead and pulled her back down the hall. When he stopped walking, she bumped into him.

“Why are we stopping?” she asked. Nothing looked familiar yet.

“For this.” He lowered his head and pressed his mouth against hers. His lips were warm and soft. His hand cradled the back of her head. His tongue moved over hers while his hands drew her body closer. His muscular chest pressed against her soft curves. Her heart beat double time as his mouth moved to her neck. Heat flowed through her body as he nipped at her pulse points.

His mouth moved back up to her ear. “Mine,” he stated.

“Why?” she asked in a breathy voice.

He pulled away and smiled. “Because I said so.”

She burst out laughing at his look of smug superiority. “Maybe you should ask if I want to be yours,” she suggested in a teasing tone.

His eyes narrowed as he moved toward her, but the smile on his face kept her from being worried. “What are you up to?” she asked as she retreated and felt the cold stone wall against her back.

With a mischievous glint in his eye, he leaned down and exhaled hot breath across her neck. The difference in temperature between his breath and the wall caused a chill to run down her spine. She heard a low chuckle before he trailed hot kisses down her neck. His hands skimmed over her curves engulfing her in heat.

Animalistic noises emerged from her throat. She didn’t care. She just didn’t want this feeling to end. His hand skimmed up her thigh, and her entire world was reduced to sensation of his fingers barely touching her in a circular motion. A buzzing sensation started deep in her core and transformed into waves that crashed through her body and took her breath away. When she was able, she opened her eyes.

He bumped his nose against hers. “Mine.”

“Yours,” she agreed.

When he unfastened his trousers, she started to panic. She was relieved when he took her hand and wrapped it around himself. He showed her how to touch him in quick strokes. She watched as his body went rigid. His face tilted up toward the ceiling and his breath came in gasps before he roared his release.

She stood on tiptoe and kissed his cheek. “Mine,” she said.

He opened his eyes and nodded. “Yours.” After his breathing slowed, he used his wand to clean up any evidence of what they’d done.

She’d no idea sex was so messy.

“Food,” he said.

Laughing, she allowed him to pull her down nearby stairs on a hunt for the kitchen. Once they were seated at a table, the house elves brought them a variety of food.

They ate in silence. Ginny enjoyed watching him eat. His face was honest and open and his eyes were kind. It would break her heart if he changed back into the young man that sneered at her.

“How are you feeling?” she asked.

He set his drink down. “I feel good. Why?”

How could she explain that this wasn’t his normal behavior? “I like seeing you this happy.”

He finished off the last of an apple tart. “We should go flying.”

Flying sounded like a great idea. “We’ll have to get our brooms.”

“Why would I need a broom? I’ll fly and you can ride on my back.”

Oh crap. He still believed he was a dragon. “Draco, how will you fly without a broom?”

He laughed. “I have wings. Did you forget?” He stood and took her hand. “Come on. You can ride on my back.”

“Okay.” Maybe when they got to wherever they were going, he’d realize he couldn’t shift into dragon form. Then he’d probably turn back into the jerk that ridiculed her and messed with her head.

Not sure how to express her concerns without ticking him off, she walked along the hallway, holding his hand in silence. They walked up a stairwell which led them to a door that opened onto the castle grounds.

It was early evening. Students could be seen walking across campus or gathered in groups. Ginny didn’t want Draco to try and shift into a dragon where others might see and ridicule him. She pointed to a garden path which wound through tall shrubbery.

“Let’s go over there.”

Draco seemed happy to oblige. Once they were in the secluded area, he asked, “What’s wrong?”

She took a deep breath. “I’m afraid you won’t be able to turn into a dragon.”

He blinked. “I’m an Animagus. You saw me shift before.”

Crap. Crap. Crap.

“Are you sure you know what you’re doing? How many times have you shifted?”

“I’ve shifted dozens of times.” He laughed and then stared off into space. “I think it’s been dozens. Of course that was before I came to school.” He blinked. “Why did I shift yesterday? Mother and Father said I shouldn’t be able to shift here at school because our Animagus skills are supposed to be a secret.” He frowned. “Father won’t be happy when he hears I lost control and shifted. That’s water under the bridge I suppose.”

Ginny’s mouth fell open. “Are all Malfoys Animagus?”

Draco laughed. “No. My dad is. He saw my mother’s shiny hair and that was it.” Draco bit his lip and frowned. “I remember the first time I saw you outside Flourish and Blotts. I went on about your hair for days. Father was not pleased. Mother wasn’t happy because you were a Weasley, but she told him he couldn’t prevent what was meant to be. That was when he started teaching me how to behave like a Malfoy.”

He looked at her and seemed to sense her irritation. “I’m guessing my parent’s attitude about you being a Weasley is why your hands are on your hips.”

“Good guess,” she bit out.

“I like you. Isn’t that all that matters?”

Ginny tried to put her finger on just what was bothering her. “Did your father turn you into a jerk just to drive me away?”

“I think the smirking and mean comments and arrogant attitude are just the Malfoy way. Plus he knew if I was mean to your brothers and then to you, you wouldn’t like me.” A smile lit his face. “I wasn’t supposed to be able to shift into my dragon form on campus. My father put some sort of spell on me before I came to school. I don’t know what happened to change that. But, now I’m out, and I plan to stay that way.”

Ginny’s head was spinning. “So this is your real personality? You’re still arrogant, but you’re nice and you like me?”

He nodded. “Do you have a problem with that?”

She blinked. The handsome, rich, arrogant yet kind boy with an evil plotting father liked her. There might be a few wrinkles that had to be ironed out, but overall it was a nice development.
Leave a Review