Ginny opened her mouth even though she had no idea what to say. Draco had officially crossed over into creepy, stalker territory again. “I-”

“Not a word, Miss Weasley,” Snape thundered. He glowered at Draco. “Have you lost your mind? To take such a vow is lunacy.”

Even though she sort of agreed with him, Ginny was offended. “Professor-”

Snape’s wand flashed, and Ginny found herself mute. She stomped her foot and glared at Snape.

Draco placed his arm around her shoulder. “It’s all right. I know what your answer would have been.” He kissed her forehead and sighed.

Guilt settled over her like a shroud.

“Mr. Malfoy, if you continue down this path I shall be forced to Floo your father. Imagine his reaction to your newfound obsession. Miss Weasley would more than likely be missing her head rather than her voice.”

Goosebumps pebbled Ginny’s arms. Snape’s words rang true. Lucius Malfoy was no one to trifle with.

“Stop it,” Draco demanded.

Ginny thought he was speaking to Snape. When Draco pulled her around to face him, she realized he was addressing her. “Stop doubting me.”

She opened her mouth to answer forgetting nothing would come out. If she could speak, she’d tell him that she didn’t doubt him, but she did think taking a marital vow was a bit extreme. Her eyes teared up in frustration.

Draco’s demeanor softened. He pulled her into an embrace and kissed the top of her head. "Don't worry. Professor Snape can't keep us apart. We were fated to be."

Warmth and security flowed around her. She sighed and cuddled closer. During moments like this she felt ready to take any vow Draco wanted.

“That’s it,” Snape declared. “I’m Flooing your father.”

She felt Draco stiffen as the professor stalked away. Unable to speak, she reached up to touch his face.

“My father will try to take you away from me.”

The sadness in his eyes made her heart hurt. There had to be a way to keep Lucius form changing his son back into the boy who hated her.

“You would take the vow if you could, wouldn't you?”

She nodded.

“We can still complete the vow,” he told her. “Ginevra Weasley, if you promise to love, honor and stand by me until the day I die, then kiss me.”

If this was the only way to keep him from Lucius’ clutches, then it was what she needed to do. Standing on tiptoe, she pressed her lips against his. Magic swirled up around them, pressing them closer and combining their magical essence into one.

“How dare you!” a masculine voice roared. Lucius Malfoy bore down on them with his wand drawn.

Draco stepped in front of Ginny. He spoke in a calm voice. “Father, you knew this day would come.”

Ginny clenched her wand. Without her voice it was useless. Where was Snape? How could he leave her defenseless like this?

Lucius snarled and raised his wand.

Draco erected a shield. “I won’t allow you to harm her father. She’s mine.”

“We’ll see about that.” A wave of power erupted from Lucius’ wand. It smashed through Draco’s shield. The power continued on its path painfully slamming Draco into Ginny and pinning her body against the stone wall.

“Take back your vow,” Lucius thundered.

“No.” Draco struggled to raise his wand arm. He was no match for his father.

“That’s enough.” The feminine voice cut through Lucius’ mad fury like a knife. He lowered his wand even though his eyes still burned with anger.

Ginny looked to see Narcissa Malfoy standing next to Professor Snape. The pressure on her body eased, and she slid to the floor.

Draco lowered himself to the floor and pulled her into his arms. “Are you all right? Where are you hurt?” Panic was evident in his voice.

She opened her mouth but found herself still mute.

Professor Snape approached and said the counter spell.

She wanted to be brave in the face of her enemies, but there wasn’t a single part of her body that didn’t feel bruised. She sucked in a breath and blinked her eyes rapidly. Tears overflowed her lashes and trailed down her cheeks.

Draco held her closer. He kissed her forehead. “I’m sorry. Forgive me. I thought I could protect you.”

Lucius gasped.

Ginny flinched expecting a new wave of pain.

Narcissa approached and spoke to Draco. “Help my daughter-in-law to her feet so I may greet her properly.”

Wary of what new torment this might bring, Ginny held her wand at the ready as Draco helped her stand.

A small smile played across Narcissa’s lips. “You’ve no idea of the significance of my son’s words, have you?”

Not trusting her voice, Ginny shook her head.

“A Malfoy never apologizes, except to another Malfoy. By asking your forgiveness, he has bound you to his side more firmly than any vow of love ever could have hoped to achieve.”
Leave a Review