“Meet me in the kitchens?” Draco asked.

Ginny hesitated for half a second. He had been giving her a really odd look, and she wasn’t sure quite how to take it. He looked happy, nervous, disbelieving, and angry, all in close succession. His question had caught her completely off guard.

After all, she hadn’t exactly expected him to invite her to meet him. Last she knew, he hated her and wanted nothing to do with her. Especially since their last meeting involved her telling him she had read his letter while he’d been passed out on a couch from alcohol.

Finally she smiled. “Alright,” she said. To herself, she added, It can’t hurt. And I’m kind of curious about what he wants.

Draco grinned and mumbled something under his breath as he left the office. Ginny thought she heard the words “bloody fool”. What did that mean? Was he talking about her?

Professor McGonagall broke the silence that had fallen over the room by clearing her throat and saying, “You and Mr. Malfoy seem to have made peace. I’m glad for that.”

Ginny jumped. She had forgotten that the Transfiguration teacher was there. “I don’t know about that,” she replied nervously. “He’s still Malfoy, after all. I’m keeping my eyes open.”

“Draco is nothing like his father; he’s just proven that,” McGonagall told her. “With a bit of time, and, perhaps, friendship, something he’s never had much of, he will become a good man.”

Ginny sighed. “I hope you’re right. He is different this year, though. Did you notice?”

McGonagall nodded. “I did. He hasn’t pulled a prank in my class the entire semester. His idiot friend, however…”

Giggling, Ginny asked, “I guess you don’t like Blaise Zabini? D- Malfoy likes him, though. They’ve been friends forever.”

“At least he’s had one,” McGonagall said sadly. “Slytherin House is not the place to make a decent man with all of that distrust. Real friendship, I’ve noticed, is a rare thing.”

When Ginny left her head of house’s office, she realized that Draco hadn’t told her what time to meet him. He’d seemed kind of anxious, however, so she decided it was a safe bet he had meant right away and headed toward the kitchens. She’d missed the welcome back feast anyway, so even if she was wrong, she could have something to eat while she waited.

Arriving at the painting depicting a rather large bowl filled with fruit, she paused to listen. She couldn’t hear anything. Ginny reached out and tickled the pear. It giggled and a handle appeared. She grabbed it and swung the door open.

House-elves were running around, cleaning up after the large breakfast in the Great Hall. They glanced up at her when she entered., but turned immediately back to their chores. Ginny grabbed the arm of a passing elf who was wearing a paper bag over its shoulders.

A hole had been torn for its head and arms and it made a funny crinkling sound when it walked. “Yes, miss?” it squeaked.

“Is Draco Malfoy here?” Ginny asked, trying not to laugh at the ridiculous sight the elf made. “I’m supposed to meet him.”

The elf nodded its head enthusiastically, causing its large ears to flap into its eyes. “Yes. Mr. Malfoy is by the fire. Sukie will show you, miss.” And with that, it grabbed Ginny’s hand and pulled her forward.

Sukie dragged her all the way to the massive stone fireplace that took up a whole wall of the kitchens. Ginny could see the back of Malfoy’s pale head in front of it. She crashed into the back of the elf, having not been paying attention when it stopped. Her attention had been riveted on the silvery strands of Draco’s hair.

The elf struggled up from the floor and looked up into Draco’s amused face. “Sukie has brought your friend, sir.” It bowed and backed away.

“Thank you, Sukie!” Draco called after it. To Ginny, he said, “Smooth entrance, Weasley! I hadn’t expected you would try to kill the house-elves, or I would have suggested we meet somewhere else.”

Ginny glared at him. “Shut up. I didn’t try to kill the house-elves! I tripped.”

Draco nodded. “Sure, Weasley. I know you’re clumsy, but…”

“Clumsy?” she exclaimed, indignant. “I am more coordinated than you any day, little ferret!”

Draco folded his arms across his chest and smirked. “I like it when you call me that.”

Ginny froze, her mouth open in preparation to yell at him again. “I’m sorry?” she demanded. Had she heard him right?

“I like it when you call me little ferret,” Draco repeated, shrugging slightly. “When other people say it, it sounds like an insult.”

“Which it is,” Ginny put in smugly.

Draco went on as if he hadn’t heard her. “But when you say it, it sounds like an endearment.”

Ginny stared at him, unsure of what to say. She had been calling him that ever since her third year, when Professor Moody had turned him into a ferret for trying to hex Harry, thinking that it would upset him. Now he was telling her he liked it? Talk about bursting her bubble.

Draco laughed. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Weasley at a loss for words! Well, except for when your brother gets so mad that he can’t breath, let alone speak.”

Ginny scoffed. “I’m not at a loss for words! I just don’t feel that my thoughts are entirely… voice-worthy.”

Draco’s left eyebrow rose up a good two inches. “Really? That’s too bad Weasley. I’d kind of like to hear them.”

She stepped closer to him, her own eyebrow lifting slightly. “Is that so, Malfoy? Well, for your information, I was thinking what a foul, loathsome git you are!”

“I don’t think you were, Weasley.”

“Well, not in those words, of course; but I could never say the words I was thinking. Like I said, they are not worthy of being spoken.”

“I never knew you had such foul thoughts.”

“Only when I’m around you.”

Draco took a step toward her and Ginny matched it with a step back, unsure what to make of the look in his eyes. He took another step, causing her to back up again. Two more steps brought her back into contact with the wall.

He took one more step, closing the distance between them. “You know,” he began, “today is my birthday.”

“What?” Ginny was surprised, yet again, by his random, nonsensical comments. Particularly more so, since her full focus had been on how close he was getting.

He continued on as if she hadn’t spoken. “And do you know what would make me really happy for my birthday?”

Ginny tried to reach for her wand, but Draco grabbed her wrists and pinned them beside her head. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she contemplated what he could be about to do.

“A kiss.”

Ginny blinked. Was he serious? “A- a kiss?” she repeated.

He nodded, an uncertain, almost hopeful look on his face.

Ginny hesitated, thinking carefully. Did she want to kiss Draco Malfoy? The son of her father’s least favourite person ever? The boy who had tortured her family and friends from day one of school?

She remembered his tired eyes (they looked more rested now) and how peaceful he looked when he slept. She thought of how soft his hair had been when she had comforted him that night, and how much she had enjoyed it.

But he’s Draco Malfoy! He had been an enemy of hers as long as she could remember. Just being a Weasley had made her a target for him. They’d gotten in fights, and hexed each other.

Her heart and brain did battle for a minute while Draco watched intently. He could see every thought floating across her face. He could tell that she, on some level, wanted to kiss him, but was trying to talk herself out of it. He silently hoped that her heart would win out and she would say yes.

Ginny finally made up her mind and, before she could change it again, rose up on her tip-toes and pressed her lips to his. She held them there for the barest of seconds, enjoying the feel of him. Then she pulled away and ducked under his arm.

She hadn’t gone more than three feet, however, when Draco pulled out his wand and waved it at her. She felt something snake its way around her middle. She tried to push it away, but, being a spell, there was nothing there to push.

Draco spun her around and pulled her back to him with a couple flicks of his wand. Ginny didn’t try to resist, rather liking it when he secured her into his arms.

“Draco?” she whispered.

He smirked. “Did you really think I would let it go at that?” He dipped his head toward her and brushed his lips across her cheek.

Ginny sighed and her eyes fluttered shut as his mouth covered hers. Don’t think, she ordered herself firmly as she wrapped her arms around his neck. He gripped her waist and pulled her closer as he deepened the kiss.

She found it a lot easier to not think than she had been expecting. It seemed as if the whole world had stopped for their kiss. Nothing mattered except for the gentle pressure he was exerting and the pressure she responded with.

His tongue skimmed over her lips and she parted them slightly, allowing him to enter. He smiled as he swept in and rubbed his tongue over hers. Under normal circumstances, Ginny would have gotten upset that he seemed so pleased with her acquiescence, but at that moment, all she could focus on was the amazing sensations.

The kiss was wonderful, and they didn’t pull away until they were both dizzy. Ginny licked her lips, savouring the way he tasted of cinnamon and boy.

He smiled down at her; a real smile. “That’s better,” he said huskily.

“Happy birthday,” she replied, her voice shaking slightly.

Draco chuckled. “It’s not my birthday. I just said that to get you to kiss me.”

Ginny’s jaw dropped and her eyes widened in surprise. She couldn’t believe he had tricked her so easily. She tried to be mad at him, but then he kissed her again and she found that she couldn’t.

Author notes: Yay!! Did you like it? Please tell me. That was my first kiss scene... obviously, since this is my first story. Did I do a good job? Any suggestions? Please, right down there in that little box. Thank you to all of my reviewers... Rosalie, choravenclaw, merriza and psyche. Loves!

Leave a Review