Gray granite columns rose several feet in the air, piercing the sky and coming to a halt at the fringes of a slate roof. The glossy black shingles slanted down like the scales of a snake. Rows and rows of tall windows glimmered in the moonlight that hung ominously in the air. Ginny tilted her head and stared at the absurd addition of statue angels hanging from ledges on the side of the cold, humorless building that loomed over her like an over-sized mausoleum.

It was so massive that she was unable to take in its full capacity from her vantage point on the bottom stair of a wide, curved staircase.

“Draco!” a harsh voice snapped Ginny out of her silent perusal of her surroundings. “What in Merlin’s name is the meaning of this?!”

Narcissa Malfoy strode up a few steps, the soles of her expensive leather shoes clacking angrily against the hard stone. She spun like a virago and pierced her only son with a look so venomous and full of contempt that Ginny shrank in on herself.

She found herself turning to Draco, wanting to demand the same question of him, but he looked unperturbed as he removed his arm from around Ginny’s waist and straightened his cloak unnecessarily.

“Speak now, you ungrateful little brat!” Narcissa shouted, pointing one long-nailed finger at Draco.

“Calm down, Mother,” Draco began in a tone that said clearly that he found her display of anger a little distasteful. “I am just bringing my girlfriend home to meet you and father.”

“Girlfriend?!” Narcissa exclaimed, her voice cracking a bit. “Girlfriend?” she said again, this time in a cold, deadly tone. Again she spun dramatically and started marching up the steps to the double-doored entry of Malfoy Manor.

As soon as the older woman was out of ear-shot, Ginny spun on Draco with her own demands. “What is going on?! What are you thinking?”

“Ginny,” Draco said in a strained voice, placing his hand on her back and leading her purposefully after his enraged mother. “I warn you, I only have the patience to deal with one irrational woman at a time. Please, do us both a favor and remain calm for the time being. I will explain everything as soon as I get the opportunity, but now is most definitely not the time.”

As they stepped over the threshold into the foyer, Ginny was unable to contain a gasp when she took in the opulence of her surroundings.

“Lucius!” Narcissa was shouting as she whipped off her dark green cloak and let it fall in a forgotten puddle on the marble floor. “Lucius!”

“Here we go,” Ginny heard Draco mutter beside her as he turned to help her off with her cloak.

Somewhere down the echoing passageway, Ginny heard the distinct sound of a door slamming open and heavy footfalls on the rich marble floor. “Damn it, woman! Why are you shouting like a common Muggle fishwife?” she heard the cold drawl of Lucius Malfoy’s voice just as he appeared from around the wide curving staircase.

Narcissa stabbed her finger back at where Ginny was standing with Draco, while he hung both of their cloaks. “Look at what your son has done!” Narcissa shouted at Lucius’ clearly irritated face.

Lucius did not glance their way. Instead he crossed his arms over his chest and raised his chin imperiously. “Funny that he is only my son when you are displeased with him, Narcissa.”

Look!” she demanded emphatically.

Lucius sniffed and finally, slowly, turned his head to look at Draco and his little package. The other Malfoy’s face tightened when he took in the sight of Ginny Weasley, standing nervously flushed and disheveled, just inside of his foyer. To Ginny’s immense surprise, he did not erupt with anger, just stared at them quietly with calculating eyes that looked exactly like Draco’s.

“Hello, Father,” Draco greeted him casually, sounding for all the world like he had not shown up with his father’s greatest enemy’s daughter in tote.

“Draco?” Lucius questioned just as casually.

“Yes, Father?”

“Why, exactly, is there a Weasley trembling in my doorway?”

Narcissa threw her hands in the air, clearly exasperated with her husband for remaining so calm when she was boiling over with rage. “Oh, she’s his girlfriend! His bloody girlfriend, he says!”

Lucius Malfoy’s face became stony before he turned to look over his shoulder. “Narcissa, if you do not cease your embarrassing theatrics, I will hex you,” he stated in a scathing tone that Ginny’s father had never once taken with her mother. Narcissa shot him a withering glare, but did not comment any further.

“Girlfriend, Draco?” Lucius inquired curiously, turning once again with a mild look on his face.

“As it happens, Father, she is,” Draco agreed, his back straight. If Ginny could not see the pulse jumping rapidly at his temple, he would not have betrayed a bit of his nervousness.

After a pause, Lucius finally commented. “Interesting.”

Narcissa opened her mouth to ask what was so damn interesting about it, but she thought better of it and snapped her mouth closed, folding her arms under her slight bosom.

“Snuffy!” Lucius shouted. Ginny jumped and goggled, thinking it the must be the most ludicrous exclamation that imposing man had ever made. She suddenly understood when a house elf cracked into appearance at his master’s feet.

Lucius looked down his nose at his tiny servant. “Snuffy, we have a guest,” he explained. “Escort her to the front parlor, ward the doors and windows and then bring her some tea and biscuits. I expect you are in need of refreshments after your long journey, Miss Weasley.”

It was the first time either of the elder Malfoy’s had addressed her directly since her appearance in this strange and terrifying place. She opened her mouth to respond, but found herself unable to speak. Not to this man, who she had been raised to think of as the very devil himself.

With barely a pause, Lucius continued. “I need to speak with my son in private, to discuss this new development. I’m sure you understand.”

“Y-yes, sir,” Ginny finally found her voice. It sounded very weak and feeble to her ears.

Snuffy, the house elf, trotted over to her. “This way, miss.”

Ginny looked down at the little creature, then turned to Draco. She was at a complete loss. She needed reassurance. Draco turned to her and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. “Go on, Ginny. I’ll be along in a little while.”

“But, Draco,” she whispered, hating the weakness that caused her voice to shake. The Malfoys were so imposing and confident.

“Ginny. Now.” Draco said. His voice was gentle but firm. “I’ll explain everything when I can.”

“Draco,” Lucius called, his own voice just as firm, but now tinged with a hint of annoyance.

“Yes, Father,” Draco said. He spared her one last look before striding away to leave her in the care of the house elf. Narcissa gave Ginny one long stare before twisting in her spot and following after her son and husband.

“This way, miss,” the house elf repeated and Ginny followed, feeling more lost and bewildered than ever before.


Lucius strode purposefully into his study, assuming correctly that his family would be following close at his heels. The door clicked closed behind them and he turned. The study, like every room in Malfoy Manor, was richly appointed. A huge oak desk, serpents carved into the legs, was set back against a bank of floor-to-ceiling windows. The drapes were made of green taffeta, embroidered with threads of silver in delicate designs. Flames crackled in the fireplace that took up most of one wall.

“Narcissa,” Lucius addressed his wife as he took a seat in a winged chair, by the fire. “If you cannot remain calm for this conversation, you may leave now.”

Narcissa drew herself up proudly and sneered at her husband. “Do not condescend to me, Lucius. I do not take kindly to you treating me like a house elf in my own home. Especially, in front of that Weasley girl.”

“Ah, the Weasley girl,” Lucius said, as if he had just been reminded of why they were here in the first place. This was his way of ignoring Narcissa’s defiance. He turned to his son, who was still standing silently beside his mother. “Well, sit down,” he commanded irritably.

Draco took the chair across from his father, crossing his legs elegantly in a fashion that mocked Lucius’ near perfectly.

“Now, please explain, Draco, why there is a foul Weasley besmirching the house of my forbearers even as we speak. Has she defected, is that why you’ve brought her here?”

“Ginny hasn’t anything to deflect from. As far as the war is concerned, Ginny is Switzerland,” Draco commented dryly.

“None of us can afford to be neutral in this war, Draco. Sides must be taken. We’ve discussed this before.”

“Ginny will take whatever side I am on, Father,” Draco responded with confidence.

Lucius steepled his fingers under his chin and stared intently at his son. There was not a tick or tremor to be seen. His face was, quite emotionless. He had trained the boy well.

“And why are you so sure of that? What about her family?”

“Her family has betrayed her in the worst way possible. I think, with very little encouragement, she can be convinced to disown them completely,” Draco explained.

Lucius seemed to be forcing back a smile. His head was swelling with pride with each word from his son’s lips.

“And in what way has her family betrayed her?” Lucius questioned, summoning a bottle of whiskey and two glasses.

“I don’t know all of the details, mostly because Ginny doesn’t, but it seems that they had several memory modification completed on her after the events in The Chamber of Secrets. In their attempts to remove the memories, they have also altered her very personality and in some ways, her ability to retain focus.”

“Then she is broken,” Narcissa commented, finally sashaying over to a chair between the two of them and taking a seat. It seemed that her interest in Draco’s explanation had somewhat cooled her anger for the moment.

Pleased to see his wife now taking a rational interest in the conversation, Lucius summoned a third glass, filled all three and floated one each to his wife and son.

Draco took the proffered whiskey with a polite “thank you” and sipped it while he waited for his father to mull over the new information before continuing. “Not broken, Mother. Just chipped a little, maybe a hairline fracture here and there, but still perfectly serviceable, with a little polishing up.”

“I’ve always known Arthur Weasley to be an intolerable imbecile, but I didn’t think even he was idiot enough to go digging around in the mind of one of his children,” Lucius observed.

“I know little of the Weasley’s,” Narcissa interjected, taking a sip of her whiskey. “But it is clear to everyone that Molly Weasley wears the pants in that family. If I had to guess, I’d say it was her idea.”

“You’re probably right, Cissy,” Lucius said with a chuckle. “I’ve never seen a more hen-pecked man than Arthur Weasley.”

Why did you bring the girl here, Draco?” Narcissa implored her son.

Draco threw back the rest of his whiskey and placed his glass on the table beside his chair. “Because she’s mine. I wish to keep her.”

Narcissa gasped and Lucius gawked. Well, as much as Lucius Malfoy was capable of gawking. He caught himself immediately and narrowed his eyes at the boy who sat across from him. It had not gone beyond Lucius’ notice that he was quickly becoming a man, a man that he himself had groomed.

“You cannot possibly expect us to accept your little concubine into our home, Draco,” Narcissa bit off. “It is insulting to even suggest it.”

Draco tried to refrain from rolling his eyes. Why were all women, even his highly esteemed mother, so prone to melodrama? “She isn’t my concubine, Mother. She’s my girlfriend.”

“Stop using that word. It’s disgusting and common,” Narcissa lectured sternly.

“Then are you saying that your intentions towards the girl are…dare I say it…honorable?” Lucius asked, feeling inexplicably amused at this recent turn of events.

“That’s not exactly the word I would use, but close enough,” Draco said, leaning back in his chair.

“I’m sorry, but are we really discussing the possibility of our son marrying a filthy blood traitor Weasley, Lucius?” Narcissa asked with disbelief.

“She’s a pureblood, Narcissa. And she cannot help it, anymore than you or I, if she has undesirable relations,” Lucius pointed out reasonably. He had refilled his glass, but not offered more to his wife or son.

“But she is beneath him, Lucius.”

“Yes, I know that, Narcissa. But she is pureblood and her line is not so closely related to ours as the Parkinsons,” Lucius pointed out.

“I’m not marrying Pansy Parkinson,” Draco interjected, a disgusted sneer on his face. “She’s my second cousin. I don’t want cross-eyed offspring.”

“Do you care for her, Draco?” his mother asked.

“Pansy?!”

“No, the Weasley girl, you obtuse boy!”

“Oh.”

Lucius and Narcissa both turned and looked at their son. They both had unreadable expressions on their faces, but over the years, they had both become rather predictable to Draco. Lucius was looking for signs of weakness, picking him apart like a Potions experiment that might go wrong at any moment. Narcissa was watching him with maternal concern and just a little bit of snobbish superiority. These were treacherous waters and Draco must proceed carefully.

“If she can become worthy of me,” Draco began slowly. “There is every possibility that I could become…fond of her.”

Seeming to find this answer acceptable, Lucius threw back the rest of his liquor. “Very well, Draco. She may stay for now.”

“Really?”

“Certainly. It should be very interesting to see how this unfolds. It will definitely distract The Order, which can’t hurt.”

“Lucius, are you sure?” Narcissa asked, sounding tired and worried.

“I am.”

“Thank you, Father. May I go and speak with Ginny now?” Draco asked, already standing up.

“The Dark Lord will have to be informed, Draco,” Lucius warned.

“Must he?” Draco barely refrained from whining.

“He must. Now go inform your young lady of the good news.”

Draco was out the door of the study and on his way to the front parlor before he noticed his mother had followed him. “Mother,” he said, slowing enough that she could catch up to his quick pace. “I was hoping to speak with Ginny alone.”

“Well, unfortunately for you, the world does revolve around the hopes and wants of Draco Malfoy,” his mother said, with a shade of frostiness. “You have declared your intentions towards the girl to be honorable. As such, she will be provided with the appropriate chaperonage while she is residing under my roof.”

“Mother,” Draco sighed, stopping outside the door of the front parlor. “Don’t you think you’re overdoing it a bit.”

Narcissa put her hand on her son’s arm when he reached for the handle of the door. “You have five minutes to talk with girl before I come in to collect her. The door is to remain open at all times and if you even think to defy me I will confiscate your wand for a week.”

Draco gawked at his mother, wondering why his most trusted ally had suddenly turned on him so dramatically.

“You may have convinced your father to go along with this atrocious little scheme of yours, Draco, but I am still mistress of this house. Lucius is my husband. He can dictate to me, you may not. If the Weasley girl is to stay, it will be on my terms.”

There was a pause, while Narcissa let this information sink in. “And your five minutes started a minute ago. I would hurry if I were you.”

Draco stared coolly at the diabolical woman who bore him into this world. He might resent her at the moment, but she was a Slytherin through and through. He couldn’t help but appreciate it. With a nod of acknowledgement, Draco shoved open the door and swept inside.

Author notes: Soon, I'll be adding a short interlude that will detail the chaos that ensues after Draco disappears with Ginny.

To Be Continued.
orbitingsaturn is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Where You'll be Safe also liked 675 other stories.
Leave a Review