My Soul Belongs To You
Chapter One
The Hearts of the Young


Draco made his way to the highest tower in Hogwarts. He took his time, prolonging the inevitable. He was about to break the heart of the only person, other than his parents, who loved him for him, and it was killing him. The previous night his father had informed him that he was betrothed to Astoria Greengrass. His family needed this marriage; the Greengrass' were one of the few Pureblood families that had not been disgraced in the war, and they had no ties to the Dark Lord. More importantly, they were willing to partner with the Malfoy family, both personally and in business. The merger meant the Malfoys could keep their money, and Draco certainly understood the importance of that. Without money and with the horrible tattoo on his arm, he was nothing. He was not making this sacrifice for himself or his parents, but for his own children.

He knew that the family of the girl whose heart he was about to break would never accept him. They could never be together, and he would never cheapen what they had or disgrace her by asking her to be his mistress. He loved her too much for that. She was perfect.

He thought about how they came to be together. It had started while the Death Eaters had control of Hogwarts. One night they ran into each other in a hall and started fighting. She was not scared of him. He still couldn't explain how they went from fighting to sleeping together, but he knew it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He was feeling misplaced at the time and nothing made sense. Except Ginevra Weasley. The only time he felt like himself was when he was with her.

For weeks it was just sex. Then slowly it changed; she would talk to him, and he would listen and talk to her. They never talked about the war, until after the Christmas break. She had been upset when her best friend, Luna Lovegood, didn't return to Hogwarts. The reason Luna hadn't returned was because she was being held in his family's dungeons. He told her that's where her friend was. That night they didn't have sex, but he assured her that he would make sure that Luna was safe, or as safe as the girl could be.

Both Draco and Ginny knew how their families would feel about them being together, so after the war ended they continued their relationship in secret. Finally he opened the door to the tower and saw the most beautiful thing: Ginevra. She was petite, only 5 foot 2 inches, and her hair came half way down her back. She was wearing a pair of Muggle jeans; he used to hate them, but had learned to appreciate them, mostly for how Ginevra looked when she removed the tight pants. She did not move at the sound of him entering the room.

“Ginevra?” he said. She still didn't move. “Ginny?” This time her shoulders shook, so he came closer and reached out to her, gently turning her to face him. Her eyes were closed and she had tears falling down her cheeks. “Darling, what’s wrong?”

She slowly opened her eyes and looked up into his eyes. Her beautiful brown eyes were swimming in tears. “Do you love me?” she asked.

'Merlin, this is going to be even harder than I thought,' he thought to himself. “You know I do,” he told her.

“Say it, I want to hear you say it.”

'This must be what hell is like.' “I love you, Ginevra, without a doubt. Why did you need to hear it?”

“Because you’re going to hate me once I tell you what I have to tell you.”

“What, Ginevra? What’s wrong?”

“My family, they expect me to marry Harry. And I'm going to do it,” she explained. She watched as he started to laugh, his actions were confusing her. “Draco? Why are you laughing?”

He took her hand in his and led her to sit down. “Because I was coming here scared you would never understand. I have to marry Astoria Greengrass. We're both doing the same thing.”

“What?”

“Father told me last night. I have to for... Ginny, we both knew this could never be real or forever, no matter how much we wanted it to last,” he lamented, still holding her hands.

“It doesn’t change the fact that it hurts,” she whispered.

“That's how we know we really love each other,” he explained. “We're star-crossed lovers.” After a long moment, he admitted, “I hate the idea of him touching you.”

“And I'm just thrilled about her with you!” she said sarcastically. After another long moment, she asked, “When do you have to marry her?”

“Next summer, before she starts her final year at Hogwarts, but it will be announced this summer. I didn't want to keep it from you.”

She gave him a sad smile. “Thank you for that. I expected you to be more upset.”

He wrapped his arms around her. “How can I be mad when I came here to tell you that I'm doing the same thing? When are you and Potty going to get married?”

“Next summer, too. Mum's already planning it. Harry only asked my father the night before last.”

He nodded and then remained quiet for a long time, just holding her. “Promise me something.”

“What?”

“Don't ever give up on your dreams. You're excellent at Quidditch, so try out for the Holyhead Harpies, just like you always dreamed of. Don't just get married and be nothing but Potter’s trophy wife. Promise me?”

“'Kay, but why does it matter to you so much?”

“Because if we can't be together, I need to know you’re at least following your dreams.”

“Draco, hold me tonight,” she asked as she turned into him.

He willingly took hold of her; kissing her, and then he made love to her.

Afterwards, he looked down at her. “Once we're married, this can't happen, no matter how much we want it to.”

She nodded. “I understand.”

“Ginny, I know some part of you does love him. It's okay to love him.” He suddenly had tears of his own escaping.

“Why do you say that?” she questioned as she lifted herself up to look him in the eyes.

“Because I know he loves you, and you have to be happy.”

“I won't lie; a part of me does love him, but it's nothing like the way I love you.”

“I will carry that thought with me to the grave,” he stated seriously.

The night Harry asked Ginny to be his wife, she cried. Everyone believed it was because her childhood fantasy was coming true. Harry had done his best to make it romantic for her, and she was thankful for that. One week later, when the paper had their wedding announcement in it, Ginny received an owl from Draco.

Ginevra,
Please remember your promise to me!
Always yours in soul,
D.M.

Two weeks later, Ginny read Draco's engagement announcement, then spent the next two days in bed.

The following school year, Ginny played the part of the happily engaged girl who was marrying the saviour of the Wizarding world. Harry would come to Hogsmeade for all of her weekends there.

Then that summer, three weeks before Ginny’s wedding, she received another owl from Draco.

Ginevra,
Please meet me at the Hilton Hotel in London at seven tonight. I'll be at the bar.
Always yours in soul,
D.M.

Ginny was surprised that he asked her to meet him in a Muggle hotel, but she was willing to go. When she arrived at the bar, there was only a woman sitting at the bar. She sat down and ordered a white wine. The woman moved closer, and after watching Ginny for awhile, she spoke, “Always yours in soul...”

Ginny's eyes opened wide, and the woman smiled in a way that told her the woman was really Draco in disguise.

“Don't say anything. I'm going to leave now. In about fifteen minutes, use the room key that's now in your purse and join me.”

Ginny nodded, and she watched as the female Draco Malfoy left. She took her time finishing her wine and then slowly made her way to the room number that was on the key. She was thankful that her father loved all things Muggle because she knew how to use the key card to open the door. As she stepped into the room, she saw it was bathed in candlelight.

Once the door fully closed, Draco, looking like himself, stepped into view. “You are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.”

“Draco, what's all of this about?”

“I'm getting married this weekend and you are in three weeks time. I wanted us to have one last night together, a perfect night. Will you stay with me tonight?” He had a pleading look in his eyes.

“Why?” she asked, her eyes beginning to water.

“Because I know that both of us will look back on the last time we were together many times over the rest of our lives. I don't want that to be hiding in a room on a hard floor, scared that Filch could walk in on us. For tonight, be my wife. Let me treat you like a queen. Please?”

That night they made love slowly and beautifully, enjoying every second of it. Both were trying to memorize every last touch, sound, even breath. The following morning, as she dressed to leave, Draco stopped her. “Ginevra, wait; I have one more thing for you.” He handed her a rectangular box. “Open it.”

When she did, she found a beautiful diamond cross necklace. She looked up at him, puzzled. “Why?”

“A heart would cause too many questions. I want you to wear this all the time. That way, when we see each other and you long to tell me you love me, just touch it. Then I will know.”

She looked at him and then questioned, “And how will I know?”

He took the box from her and removed the necklace from it. As he placed it upon her neck, he replied, “Trust me, you will see me watching, waiting to see you touch it.” He then stepped back in front of her and smiled. “I meant what I said in my letters; I'm always yours and my soul belongs to you, Ginevra. Never forget that.” She reached out to him and sobbed. “Ginny, please don't. I don't want to remember our last moments alone together to be of you crying.”

“It's just so unfair!”

“Ginny, if I thought for a minute that we could be together and that you wouldn't have to turn your back on your family, I would marry you myself. But I could never ask you to give up your family. Ginny, we will be together, just maybe not in this life. If I know anything, I know this; I know you are my soul mate.”

Author notes: Please leave me a review!

Leave a Review