My Soul Belongs To You
Chapter 12
Bonding While On Holiday

The next day the Potter family headed to Draco's hotel. His suite was on the top floor and quite large for a hotel, but very much what Ginny expected to find. They then headed down to the car Draco had ordered for them. It took an hour to drive to the larger mountain town, and when they arrived and got out of the limo, Draco asked, “Ginny, did you bring any Muggle money?”

Ginny smiled and pulled out a flat, plastic card. “Harry gave me this years back, to use any time I was in the Muggle world. No worries.”

“Good. You know it never hurts to always carry that with you.”

She laughed. “I'd love to hear where this line of thinking came from, but I think I'll wait until we're somewhere more private.”

“Guys, come back here for a second,” Draco called the children back.

All turned and retreated, but James remained the farthest away.

Draco spoke in a low whisper. “This is a completely Muggle town. Try to remember that when you're talking, but if you forget and someone asks about something you said, just claim it's English slang.”

The day was great; they went from shop to shop laughing at things like the chocolate covered peanuts that were sold as elk poop, or aluminum cans of mountain air (Draco also made a comment about tourists buying anything with a travel destination on it), and a restaurant that actually served buffalo dishes! (Albus had to look at the menu himself to see if this was true.) They had lunch in a small pizza place and Ginny found a shop that sold Christmas ornaments year round (“You're even open in July?” Lily had asked. “Yes, we are!” came the reply.). She picked out a number of them to use on the tree Draco had set up at the chalet, and to take home as souvenirs after the holidays. They then drove up to the Hot Springs and took a soak in the mineral-filled, naturally heated water. James spent all his time there making sure that Draco couldn't get too close to Ginny in her swimsuit.

Afterwards, as they walked back to the limo, Draco asked, “Have you decided whether you want me to talk to Albus or not? I could talk to both him and Scorpius at the same time.”

“I've been watching them today and they are really close. I guess it couldn't hurt. Oh, Draco? I wanted to ask you and Scorpius to join us for supper tonight.”

“Great! If you can get Lily to help you out, I'm sure James will head to his room and I'll talk to them then.”

“Sounds good.”


Later, as Draco predicted, James headed to the room he was using once he was sure Ginny was cooking in the kitchen. Draco took the young boys outside for their talk. “Boys, I need to talk with you both.”

“Sure, Dad,” Scorpius said.

“Albus, I know that Scorpius told you that I have feelings for your mother.”

Albus gazed at him with a look of acceptance Draco never saw on Harry's face. “Yes sir, he did.”

“Well, I want to tell you that he is right about my feelings for Ginny.” The two boys smiled at each other. “BUT I also understand that she is still grieving over your father, so I won't ask anything of her until she is ready. For now I'm happy to be friends with her.”

The boys both looked disappointed.

“There's more, boys. It's clear to both Ginny and I that James is not happy with things right now. He needs time as well, and Ginny and I would appreciate it if you two wouldn't bring up the subject to him at this time. This would include talking at school about what you two are hoping will happen.”

Albus looked even more unhappy with this.

“That being said; Albus, I want you to know that you will always be welcome in my home.”

“Thanks, Mr. Malfoy,” he said, a small smile coming back to his face.



After dinner, the children began disappearing to their rooms. Ginny watched Lily go up to her room and remembered how she felt as a child being left out when Harry and Hermione would arrive.

Draco came up behind her. “What's on your mind?” he asked, his voice full of concern.

Ginny smiled at him. “I was just remembering what it means to be the youngest.”

“How so?”

“You know; always the one left behind. Like Lily is now,” she replied.

“Her life is and will be very different from yours,” Draco assured Ginny.

“I know, but I still understand what she is going through.”

“I remember the first time you mentioned your feelings about being left behind. You know, we never admitted the war was happening, but we did talk about it. Looking back, some of the things you told me still amaze me.”

She turned and looked at him. “You were and are just so easy to talk to. You never betrayed my trust.”

Draco looked at the woman in front of him in wonder. She did amaze him; from that first night together, it was so natural, so easy. The only thing that had been hard was not being with her. “I could not risk losing you, not then.” He took a deep breath, then muttered, “Fuck!”

Concern showed on Ginny's face. “What?”

“I'm such a fool! During the war I couldn't risk losing you. And then the second gold entered the picture, I-”

“Draco, we were young. We both did what we believed we had to.”

“Had I spoken to Father, I'm sure now he would have dealt with the fact that I wanted you. He says that he knew there was someone, and had hoped I would have come to him. Ginny, it could have all been so different!”

“Let's talk outside.” They both stepped out into the chilly outdoors. “Draco, I have thought about this stuff too, but can you really say you would want a life without Scorpius?”

He gazed at her. “Haven't you wondered what our children would have been like?”

“Yes, but Draco, I love James, Al, and Lily. I'm very thankful for them, and Scorpius is very special too. He reminds me of you.”

“Ginny, of course I love my son, but I will never stop wondering...”

“What a weasel crossed with a ferret would have been like?” she teased.

He shot her a smirk, then moved closer to her.

“Draco, don't live in what could have been; live in the here and now.”

Draco pulled her into his arms. “Do you know how much I have missed this?”

She slowly looked up into his eyes.“Every bit as much as I have.”

“Then why did we not try to remain friends at least? Something would have been better than nothing.”

“Because we both knew how much more it would hurt to be that close and yet not be enough.”

“Do you remember that night at some Ministry thing? You wore that green dress and you had bruises on your arm.”

“Yes. You were rather upset.”

“Was it just what he claimed?” Draco asked.

“Yes. Harry would never have hurt me.”

“I wished he had; I so wanted to rescue you. It reminded me of when I knew you were in detention. I knew what was taking place and there was nothing I could do to help.”

“I knew what I was facing.”

“As much as I hated it when you didn't return after Easter, I was at the same time relieved. Then seeing you in the battle...”

“Draco, we talked about this before.”

“Did we really? I only found out a few years back that my aunt threw an Avada Kedavra at you.”

“What was the point of telling you? I had spent a lot of time before that thinking about what could have happened in a battle. Being scared that what I thought we had was all a joke, and that in the end I would have a choice of let you kill me or kill you myself.”

“I had it all planned. If push came to shove, I was going to knock you out and then hide with you until it was all over. And if He won, I would have claimed you as my prize.”

She got a slightly offended look on her face. “Oh, what a great life! The life of a sex toy.”

He shook his head, “No! The plan covered that, too. I would have simply gotten you pregnant before I married, then I would have had to marry you.”

She swatted at him. “What a romantic you are!”

“At the time, I wasn't trying to be romantic; I was being a realist. I couldn't have lived if you were dead or knowing someone was hurting you every night.”

“Well, for the record, the only pain Harry ever put me through was childbirth.”

“At least you were happy.”


The holiday time was going along very nicely, and Ginny and her children had spent time remembering Harry, but were also making new memories.

Draco and Scorpius spent time with the Potters, too. Draco was honestly surprised that he truly liked Albus. Lily was so much like her mother, it was impossible not to like her. James, on the other hand, was cold and distant. He refused to even try with the Malfoy men, and never missed the chance to point out their faults to Ginny or his brother and sister.

The way James was behaving made Draco wonder if the teen could read his mind. Draco was doing his best to only be friendly with Ginny, despite his desire to be otherwise with her. He knew all of the children needed time, as did Ginny, and he didn't want to rush her. He knew once she was ready, they would be able to make up for all the lost time. For him, that was enough for now.

A/N Sorry for the delay in updating, but my husband/beta and I have been quite occupied since our third daughter was born! Feb. 18, 2010 saw Ginevra Christine come into the world, weighing 5 lbs. 14 oz. We are just now getting back to the computer and my stories, so send a review and we will try to update soon!

Author notes: A/N Sorry for the delay in updating, but my husband/beta and I have been quite occupied since our third daughter was born! Feb. 18, 2010 saw Ginevra Christine come into the world, weighing 5 lbs. 14 oz. We are just now getting back to the computer and my stories, so send a review and we will try to update soon!

Leave a Review