My Soul Belongs To You
Chapter 15
An Unexpected Blessing


It didn't take Draco long to figure out she was avoiding him. This confused him; he was sure they had moved past the fact that they had slept together. He knew they needed to talk, so once more he Floo'ed her place. “Oh, hello Draco... I forgot to Floo you again! I'm so sorry; it's just that I have been so busy, and then when I sit down to write I really forget about the rest of the world.”

It was the same line for a month now. “I understand Ginny, but I was really hoping to stop by tonight.”

“Oh, tonight? Tonight's no good; I promised Ron and Hermione we would have dinner at their place.”

“Fine, how about tomorrow, then?” He was used to this song and dance now.

“Lily has ballet,” she replied, feeling a little better that this was at least true.

“Well then, what works for you?” One nice thing about speaking by Floo; he could see her face as she panicked.

“Um, Draco, I really don't...”

“Ginny, something is up. Should I Floo Ron and find out what time you're going to be there till tonight?” He paused, “Or will you admit you're trying to avoid me?”

“I'm not trying; I thought I was doing a pretty good job.”

“Look, I have a couple of hours free now. How about we talk about this face to face?” he offered.

“Fine,” she sighed. She had given up.

Twenty minutes later, they sat on Ginny's sofa facing each other. “What's going on?” he asked.

“I'm just not mentally available right now, Draco.”

“That's what you want me to think is really going on?”

She looked down into her lap, then around the room before her eyes settled on him. “No, that is it. It's just not what you think I mean. Draco, as you can probably tell, I'm really messed up right now.” She took a breath. “I really want to be with you, but I'm not finished getting over Harry. I don't want to start things between us before I'm... before I've dealt with my feelings and stuff about Harry. I'm scared that if I spend time with you I will jump ahead of where I should be.”

He couldn't help himself; he reached out, put an arm around her, and gently pulled her close. “Listen, just listen. In all the time we've-- been together, been a part of each other's life, you have had feelings for and issues with him. While I'm not happy about that, it's something that's not going to change, ever. He will always be a part of your life, and there will always be a time when you will wish he was still around. And knowing you, at those times I'm guessing that part of you will always feel guilty that I am around. However, that doesn't change what I want.” He repositioned himself so he could look into her eyes. “Ginny, I need you to be completely clear on what I want. I want to marry you. I want to know what it's like to wake up every morning and see your face. I want to hold you when you're crying, when you're happy, and,of course, when you're orgasming. I know he will always be a part of you, but I don't care; it's not about him, it's about us. I can't make this easier for you to deal with, but I don't want you trying to deal with it all alone. Did someone say something to you that made you feel this was wrong?”

“No, not really. When we got back, I received a letter from the man who replaced Harry at work. He found a letter Harry had written to me shortly after we found out he was sick. It said pretty much the same stuff Harry told me before he died. I guess he was just making sure I knew how he felt, but it just reopened the wounds for me. All this on top of feeling guilty about having slept with you.”

“Ginny, let's make an agreement here and now; no more secrets! If something happens and you need some time to yourself, that's fine, but let me know what's going on first.”

She nodded. “I'm sorry for acting like a child.”

“You're not acting like a child; you're acting like someone ruled by her heart.”

Ginny and Draco finally began to fall into a routine of seeing each other, but they were still remaining on a 'friends only' level. They resumed speaking by Floo each night, and he would come over at least once a week.

Three weeks later, Ginny was working on the book she was writing when she began to feel ill. She didn't think much about it until that evening when she noticed the feeling went away when she ate. It took her all of three seconds to know what was wrong! She nor Draco had performed a contraception charm on her that night! Now Ginny wasn't stupid; she just hadn't had to worry about doing one when she was with Harry because he always took care of it.

She didn't understand why Draco hadn't; she would have thought that because of how he was and the number of women he had slept with that to avoid issues like this he would have always seen to it himself, to know that it was done.

She tried to calm herself. She didn't know for sure; she needed to make a potion to find out for sure. She sent Lily over to the Burrow and then set to making the potion. The final thing it needed was a drop of her blood. If the gray liquid turned purple, she was pregnant; if it remained gray, she wasn't.

She raised the knife she had used to cut up some of the ingredients and poked the blade into her fingertip. Once the skin was pierced, she put the knife down and using her other hand pushed on the finger below the cut, forcing blood out. She watched as a drop of blood fell into the potion. The second it hit the gray liquid, the color purple fanned out! “Shit!” she exclaimed. “Bloody hell!”

She sat staring at the potion for ten minutes before she could think if what to do. Luckily, she was a grown woman who knew the father had as much right in the decisions as she did. She knew it was best for her and Draco to talk about this while Lily wasn't home, and she also knew it was only fair to talk before she made her own mind up. She finally walked over to her Floo and called Draco.

“Draco, could you please come over here... now?”

“Now, Ginny? What's wrong?” he asked.

“I just need to talk with you in person,” she lied; she didn't want to have this conversation over the Floo network.

“Can you give me ten minutes? I just need to finish up a few things.”

“Ten minutes, sure,” she agreed.

When Draco arrived, she led him to the living room. “Lily's at my parents for the night,” she informed him. She offered him a non-alcoholic drink, and after getting his and one for herself, she sat down in the armchair across from him. “How was your day?” she asked innocently.

“Busy. Lots of boring meetings.” He shrugged. “Ginny, I get the feeling something's up. What is it?”

“I- um, I wasn't feeling so great today,” she began.

He smiled at her. “You do look a little pale. Is that why you're sitting over there?”

“No, I- um, Draco, I just, well, I have only been sick like this three times before.” She couldn't explain why she didn't come right out and say it. She waited to see if he would realize what she was saying.

“You've never been really ill, so I'm sure it will pass,” he calmly stated.

“Not soon enough,” she muttered. “Draco, I checked. I'm pregnant.” She sat watching for his reaction.

It took a second for her words to hit him. His face stayed neutral. “This changes everything,” he calmly began, “Look, I know this wasn't what we were thinking, but we will figure everything out together. Do you have any ideas on what you want?”

She shook her head. “I Floo'ed as soon as the shock wore off. I felt this was something we needed to figure out together.” Ginny felt a small sob escape. “I never planned on having any more. Lily was supposed to be my last,” she admitted.

This caused Draco to come over to her and wrap his arm around her. “I know this isn't something we planned, but we will make it work.” He took a moment. “Ginny, you know it was never a question that I did plan, and want, to marry you.”

“What are people going to say? It's so soon. He's only been gone five months,” she thought out loud.

“We can wait till closer to the baby coming,” he offered.

“Our families! What will they say?” Everything was finally hitting Ginny at the same time.

“They will have to deal with it. We'll tell them together, and very soon.”

“No, the kids need to know first.” She got up and moved away from him, but she did turn to look at him.

“Yes, I know.”

She then began to panic. “What are they going to think?”

Draco made his way back to her. He then placed his hands on her shoulders. “Albus and Scorpius, have both been hoping, praying, trying to find a way to make this happen. I think Lily will be okay. However, James isn't going to be happy. He will forgive you; he loves you. Me on the other hand, I'm going to need to be very careful around your son.”

She looked at him and laughed. “Since when have you ever been scared of a fifteen-year-old boy?”

“Since I found out I got his mother pregnant. He does not like me.” He pulled her to the sofa.

“I know. He's loyal to Harry.” She paused. “Draco, I didn't plan this. Harry used to take care of that sort of thing. I never even thought about it.”

“I'm not mad, so don't worry. I should have taken care of that myself. It must have been the Muggle champagne.”

When Draco left that night, he was surprised. Years back, he wished for something like this; now some part of him wondered if this hadn't happened, would she still marry him? Well, now he would never know, but he did know that soon he would only be saying good night and not goodbye.

She was right; they needed to tell their children first and foremost, and it was for both him and Ginny to do it. However, the more he thought about it, it would be better to tell Scorpius and Albus together. He knew they would be pleased with this. Lily seemed to like him enough, but she might not be happy about this at first. But telling James! Draco was very worried about informing the young man. He wasn't fearing for himself, but for Ginny. He was fully aware of just how quickly she could be upset.

Draco did wonder how his own parents would react. Really, one wouldn't be surprised if a twenty-year- old came home and said he accidentally got his girlfriend pregnant, but when it''s your son, who is almost thirty-nine years old, well, that's a different story. He knew he screwed up big time, but he also knew he would protect Ginny from anything that resulted because of this mistake. No, mistake was the wrong word for this. From this moment on, their child would be referred to as an unexpected blessing.

Author notes: Please DO feed the author!

Leave a Review