My Soul Belongs To You
Chapter Sixteen
Draco the Informant

A week later, Draco and Ginny arrived at Hogwarts to tell their sons. He wanted to wait for a while, but once Ginny saw her healer she insisted that the sooner their families knew, the better it would be for her and the baby.

Ginny was worried about how her children would take this news. She really couldn't tell if it was morning sickness or her own nerves that had her ill for the better part of the morning. She had told Neville the reason for her and Draco coming the night before. She thought someone needed to know why James would be feeling upset or grouchy for the next little while. Once done here, they would return to the house to tell Lily; then Ginny had asked the rest of her family over to the house to tell them before they heard it from one of the children in a letter from school.

Now facing James, Ginny felt very cold. Draco stood behind the chair she sat on as she looked across at her eldest. “James, there a few things you need to know.”

“What's going on, Mum?”

“James, I'm – we're, um...Draco and I plan to get married.”

“What?”

“Before the start of the next school year,” she finished.

James' eyes grew cold as he looked at Draco. “What did you do to her?”

“James, it was as much my fault as Draco's. James, I'm pregnant.” Ginny tried to calm the situation down a bit by speaking quietly.

“You whore!” he yelled. “Dad hasn't even been gone a year!” James then went to storm out of the room.

Draco could see just how upset Ginny was; however, he wasn't about to allow James to upset her like that. He followed the teen out of the room and after closing the door behind himself, grabbed hold of James. “Not so fast! You're going to hear me and hear me good because I will not allow you to upset your mother like that! You'll find that the famous Weasley temper is nothing compared to the Malfoy temper!”

He shoved James down into a chair in the hallway. “Hmpff!” was all James would say.

Draco continued, “The truth of the matter is, your mother did-- still does, love your father. They dated in your father's sixth year, but he broke things off with her. The following year she and I were together. However, being young and stupid I let her go. I never should have, but I understood that she still loved Potter. They had nineteen happy years together, yet for your mother and I both, the feelings we had for each other never went away. We both are willing to say that we erred and slept together before we should have. Now we have been blessed with a child. A child who deserves the same thing you and your brother and sister got; to be raised by two loving parents. You aren't going to make her feel bad about doing that for this baby. If you have something you feel you need to share that is less than positive, you will say it to me and me alone. You can take your anger out on me; I'm more than used to it from both a Potter and a Weasley. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes,” James said. “Can I leave now?”

“You will write your mother an apology that she will receive first thing tomorrow,” Draco ordered.

James got up and went to leave and Draco heard him mutter, “Sodding bastard.”

Draco let that go; the kid did have the right to feel like he did.

Telling Albus and Scorpius went much better. “Really?” Albus asked.

“Cool!” Scorpius exclaimed.

“So we'll all live together?” Albus asked.

“Yes, after the wedding,” Ginny replied. However as the boys went to leave, Albus held back a bit.

Draco followed his own son out, but listened to what Albus was about to say.

“Mum, you- you still love Dad, right?”

“Al, I will always love your father.”

“And you love Mr. Malfoy?”

“I have loved both of them my whole adult life. How I love each of them is like how I love each of you children; with my whole heart. It's the same, yet different. The fact that I love one has nothing to do with the other.”

“This is cool. By the way, Mum, I love you.”

Ginny followed Albus out.

“How are you doing?” Draco asked as he reached out and wrapped his arm around her, pulling her closer.

“I wish James hadn't gotten so upset,” she admitted sadly.

“He's upset with me, not you.”

“Really? He had more to say to me than you.”

Draco began to lead her out of the school. “That's because he knows what to expect from you. How do you think Lily will react?”

“She's the wild card here. I wish I knew.”



“Married?” Lily questioned. She was sitting at the breakfast table, her eyes darting between her mother and Draco.

“You see Lily, your mother is expecting a baby,” Draco offered. He still couldn't tell how she felt about this news.

“A baby?” She paused. “A real baby? Are you sure?”

Ginny gave a small smile. “Very sure.”

Her face lit up. “So I won't be the youngest anymore?”

Later in the living room, Draco watched Lily take one of the family pictures and go to head upstairs. “Lily, may I have a word with you?” he asked.

She looked like a thief caught in the night. “Um, sure.”

He led her back into the living room. “I know this is a strange time for you, but I wanted you to know I don't plan on trying to replace your father.”

“What do you mean?” she asked.

He smiled. “I mean I know you kids loved him, as did your mother. I'm not going to try and take over. I'm willing to be there for you and your brothers in any way you need me, and I don't expect you guys to forget him.”

Lily looked at him for a long moment. “But we're going to have to move, aren't we?” she asked.

Draco looked around the room. “We haven't talked about it, but I think that yes, we will be moving.”

She released a sob at the idea. “I don't want to! This is Daddy's home!”

Draco was unsure of what to do. “Lily, we have months to figure all of that out. Things will all work out, and really, you don't forget someone because you live somewhere else. You keep them with you forever.”



Knowing full well that James would likely say something to one of his many cousins, Ginny and Draco had agreed to tell the rest of her family that same day. They were due to arrive in a few minutes and Ginny was putting the finishing touches on the meal she told her family they were coming for.

Draco stood back against the kitchen wall and watched her; he could tell she was stressed. It upset him greatly, for it wasn't supposed to be like this. This should have been a happy time for them. However, now everything was rushed. Draco knew Ginny felt like her hand was being forced. He never wanted her to feel that way, but there was no way he would ever allow their child to be born out of wedlock. It wasn't an opinion, it was fact; children whose parents were not wed at the time of their birth were not accepted by most wizards and witches alike.

Ginny knew this and felt this way, too. Her family could say many things about his family's beliefs, but on this one even her family felt the same as his. Draco didn't regret the fact that they were going to have a child, only that it was forcing things before Ginny was ready. Draco did realize that this was his fault. All of his life he had been a playboy, and Ginny was the only woman whom he had ever been faithful to. But now she was also the only one whom he had failed to perform an anti-conception charm on. When they were younger he did forget a few times, but then they had been lucky. No, unlucky. He thought about how differently their lives would have been if they had spent the last two decades as husband and wife.

Well, now it didn't matter. In a few months she would be his wife and his forever. There was no way he would ever let her go. Draco shook himself from his thoughts and walked over to her, placing his hands on her upper arms and kissing the side of her head. “Relax. They all love you, and you're forgetting; I'm a Malfoy, the root of all evil. They will know this is all my fault,” he whispered.

She slowly turned in his arms and looked up at his chin. She was clearly fighting off tears and she wouldn't meet his eyes. “What if they are thinking like James was today?”

“Not possible. Ginny, I don't think you realize it, but you are your family's golden girl; you can do no wrong in their eyes. You told me yourself that they never had you own up for being so unthinking and continuing to write in Voldemort's diary. I mean, I can understand a Muggle-born writing in a book that writes back, but...”

“Draco, your father...”

“I know, but still you have to admit...”

“I know.” There was a knock at the door.

It didn't take long for the house to fill with Weasleys. Draco had forgotten just how many there were and he was feeling rather uncomfortable.

“I wanted to thank you for taking Ginny and the kids on that holiday. It really seemed to help her,” Ron said once he stood next to him.

“I was happy to help,” Draco returned in a civil tone.

“I hear that any class that Rose isn't at the top of, she's only second to Scorpius.” He was trying to make conversation.

“Yes, I hear the same thing. She's lucky she takes after her mother.” It was hard to be good.

“Yes, she is.”

Draco looked at Ron and remembered hearing about him having a lot to say about whoever Ginny had dated in school. He decided it would be better for Ginny if she wasn't present for Ron's reaction. “Come out back with me for a minute?”

Ron nodded and then led the way.

Once in the yard, Draco began, “I assume that you realize that dinner tonight isn't just dinner.”

“Yeah. Gin wants you to get used to being around the family,” Ron commented.

Draco moved so he was facing Ron. “There's more to it than that.” Draco put his hands in his pockets, thinking that If Ron lost it it was only right to let him get one punch in before he defended himself. He also knew this would score points with Ginny. “She's expecting my baby.” He could see the color rising in Ron's face. “We will be married before the baby arrives.”

“You sodding bastard! I gave you an inch and you took a mile!” Ron yelled.

“I have loved your sister for twenty years,” Draco tried to reason.

“What did you do? Wait till she was at her lowest? Taking advantage of a grieving widow!” Ron pulled his fist back to punch Draco square on the jaw.

The back door opened and six women came streaming out of the kitchen! Hermione and Angelina tried to hold Ron back. Clearly, when Ron first hit Draco, at least one of the women had screamed because now the Weasley men were coming out, too.

Draco's eyes were focused on Ginny, and he knew she was mad at him. She advanced on him. “You just had to push him, didn't you?” she yelled.

Arthur could be heard talking loudly to Ron. “What's the meaning of this?”

“Ginny, I thought it might be best if he heard the news alone,” Draco tried to explain.

“He took advantage of Ginny! He has no respect for the dead! The second he was alone with her, he...”

“I'm going to be a big sister!” Lily announced proudly from the doorway, causing everyone to stop talking.

After a second or two, Draco spoke, “That's right. Look, this wasn't planned, but this is in no way unwelcome. We plan to marry before the baby arrives.”

“Another baby! And here I thought I would have to wait until Teddy asked for Vicky's hand!” Molly gushed as she came over and hugged Ginny.

“I told you,” Draco whispered to Ginny.

“That's only one and you can't count her,” Ginny shot back as she hugged her mother.

“Bloody hell, could you not wait till her husband was cold in this grave?” Ron continued to rant.

Bill, however, had watched Draco with Ginny from the second he arrived. He walked up to the two of them and extended a hand. “Welcome to the family,” he offered to Draco.

The wives all seemed to wait to see how the rest of the family would react. George was the next to walk up and address them both. “Forgive him,” he jerked his head back at Ron. “You're a Malfoy and his personal nemesis who has not only shagged his little sister, but the wife of his best mate. You're doing the right thing here, and Ginny, you made a beautiful bride the first time, so I'm sure the second time around you'll be stunning.”

At that point, the rest of the wives seemed to decide it was okay to be happy about this. Ron, however, still looked pissed.




Later, Ginny tended to Draco's split lip. “You just couldn't resist, could you?”

“It had nothing to do with pissing him off,” Draco mumbled as Ginny dabbed at the dried blood that still sat on the corner of his mouth.

“Then what was it about?” she asked with a stern look on her face.

“I was trying to protect you,” he retorted as he reached up and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.

She rose an eyebrow. “From my own brother?” she asked skeptically.

He then took hold of her hand. “I remember hearing about the trouble he gave you about dating blokes at school. I knew he wouldn't be happy about this and I didn't want a repeat of earlier with James. I hoped he would get through his first reaction without you having to deal with it.”

She looked at him for a long moment as she decided whether to be upset with him or not.

“Ginevra, I love you, and I want to protect you from anything that might hurt you. You've been through a lot in the past few months and I know that things are happening faster than you're ready for. I just want to make it easier for you.”

She smiled at him and then gently kissed him. “Thank you, but I've been dealing with Ron for almost 38 years; I know how to handle him! Now, tell me honestly, part of you enjoyed getting a reaction from him, didn't you?”

He smirked at her; she knew him so well. “Old habits die hard.”

Author notes: Please leave a review!

Leave a Review