One year later, Draco stood in St Mungo's Hospital, waiting outside his wife's room when Ginny came around the corner. She was smiling and carrying a floral arrangement made up mostly of pink shades. She also had a pink teddy bear. Her hair was shorter than Draco remembered, but it looked smart on her and in a way Draco could not explain, the style made her look a little taller.

She didn't seem to notice him.

As she passed him, he uttered, “Weaslette.”

She stopped dead and looked at him. “Draco!” she smiled. “What are you doing here?”

He looked down at his shoes for a minute, then back at her. “Astoria just suffered a miscarriage.”

The smile left her face as she now felt funny about the flowers and teddy she was holding. “I'm sorry. Is she going to be alright?”

“The healers are trying to determine that now,” he replied.

“How far along was she?” Ginny asked. She could tell he was hurting.

“Three months, only three months.”

Ginny wanted to do something for him. “Do you need anything?” she inquired.

“No, thanks. I see you still wear that cross,” he commented.

Ginny knew this was his way of begging her to touch the cross. Instead, she put down the things in her arms and reached out, hugging him while whispering, “I do love you.”

He put all his strength into hugging her back, knowing it could only last for a few seconds. “Merlin, I miss you!” he mumbled into her shoulder.

She then pulled away. “We can't have the world seeing you hug me,” she explained.

“I know. So, who had a baby?”

“Percy's wife, Audrey had a girl this morning. They named her Molly.”

He smiled and nodded.

“Draco, I need to go.”

“I know. Ginevra, I'm proud of you. I have followed your career.”

She had tears in her eyes. “Draco, your wife needs you now.”

He nodded. “Where's Potter?”

“Away on assignment. I have to go.” She picked up her stuff again. “Things will get better. Take care.” She then headed down the hall.

Draco watched until she vanished from sight, then sighed.

“Are you sleeping with her?” Lucius asked.

Draco jumped a little with surprise. “No, not since before my wedding,” he answered. Lucius must have been around the corner, only stepping out when Ginny walked away. Draco hadn't sensed anyone else's presence.

“Then you love her?” his father asked.

Draco was even more surprised. “Yes I do.”

Lucius looked his son up and down. “Why didn't you tell me?”

Draco finally took a seat. “Because she's a Weasley. I didn't believe you would understand.”

Lucius then sighed. “She is a Pure blood, though. Had you told me earlier, things could have been different.”

Draco looked shocked at what he was hearing.

“I knew you weren't happy and I hoped that if there was someone else you would have told me.”

“I never believed you would understand.”

“How long were you two together for?”

Draco thought back. “About seven months. How do you know?”

“I saw her hug you. You looked like if you let go it would kill you. What's your plan?” the father asked his son.

“There is no plan. She loves me too, but married Potter because her family expected her to. In some ways, she loves him too. However I would never ask her to be my mistress. She's too good for that.”

“Draco, I wish you had told me. I only want to see you happy.”

“That's what I want for her. We both knew that we could never really be together. Her family would never accept me, and I could have never asked her to walk away from them. I know what they mean to her.”

“You really have matured, Draco. Now, how's your wife doing?” Lucius asked, changing the subject.


Meanwhile in Audrey's room, Hermione asked Ginny, “Did I see you talking to Draco Malfoy out in the hall?”

Ginny looked at Hermione. “Yes, his wife had a miscarriage.”

“Oh. But still, he's a-”

“Hermione, you weren't at Hogwarts the year of the war. That year, things were very odd, and when I ran into him here, he looked like he needed someone to talk to. I mean, think about it; his wife must be really upset. He has to be strong for her, but he could show a little weakness to me and then hate me for seeing it because I'm a Weasley,” Ginny covered.

“Oh. Do you want to talk about what happened that year?”

“No. It's fine, Hermione.”



One week later, Ginny received an owl:

Ginevra,
I wanted to thank you for your kind words the other day. It meant the world to me.
Yours always in soul,
D.M.
P.S. I like the new hairstyle.

Ginny held the note close to her heart for a long moment. It would be another six months before she would see him again. This time, she was in a pub near Wilshire with her teammates after a Quidditch win. Harry was again out on assignment, but he still had sent her flowers for good luck that morning. The group of women she was with were a feisty bunch, and the dive they were in suited them.

Ginny saw Draco come down the hall with a woman who was not his wife. Clearly, she was a stripper, with red hair. Draco didn't see Ginny, so she watched as he went to get a room after being handed a key.

He started to lead the girl to the hotel above the pub.

Ginny couldn't stand it; she got up and made her way over to them. “Draco Malfoy! I believe you have a wife at home!” she barked.

“Ginny?” he slurred. He clearly had been drinking.

Ginny looked at the woman with him. “Excuse us for a minute.” She then pulled Draco to the side of the room. “Your wife is still recovering from her miscarriage and you're going to sleep with a whore?”

“Ginny, you don't understand!” More slurring.

Ginny looked over at the girl. “It she supposed be a replacement for me?” She was hurt now.

Draco shook his head. “No, no one could ever replace you.”

“Then why are you about to cheat on Astoria?” she pointed out.

“Why do you care?” Draco hissed.

“Because, we... Draco, please! Go home and work on your marriage.”

“Ginny, I love you.”

She sighed. “Me too, but Draco? Please don't betray the woman that I have accepted as the one who can have you now that I can't.”

“So I can sleep with my wife, but no one else?” he uttered drunkenly.

“I couldn't handle anyone else,” she admitted. She could feel the tears burning her eyes.

“Why don't you come up there with me?” He reached out and played with a piece of her hair.

Ginny then realized just how drunk he was. She didn't want to hurt him; that would only ensure he would cheat on his wife. “Draco, if you were sober I would think about it, but I know you wouldn't ask that of me if you were sober.” She looked over his shoulder and saw Blaise Zabini, so she waved him over.

She put on a sweet smile. “Zabini, I think you need to take Malfoy home. He's clearly too drunk to even think.” Blaise only smirked at her.

So to prove her point she added, “He just asked me to have sex with him.”

The man's eyes widened and he then reached out to grab Draco's shoulder. “Come on, mate. Let's get you home.”

Draco looked at Ginny. “Party pooper!” he spat.

“Sorry, Mrs. Potter. Just a stag night gone a little wild,” Blaise explained.

“I figured it was something like that,” Ginny said, then headed back to her table.



The next afternoon, Blaise returned to Malfoy Manor. Draco showed no signs of a hangover. “You sure don't look like the man I dropped off here last night. How mad was Astoria?”

“She wasn't; she expected me to come home drunk.”

“That's a good woman you have there, mate.”

“Yeah. How did I get home anyway?”

Blaise started laughing. “Hmm, where to start. I found you with Ginny Potter. She told me to take you home because you obviously had had too much to drink, and you had asked her to have sex with you.”

The glass that Draco was holding fell to the floor as he said, “Shit! She's going to hate me.”

Blaise looked confused. “Draco, we're talking Ginny Weasley Potter. Wasn't she raised to hate you?”

Draco realized his slip. “Yes, of course. I just mean she's still a married woman, and I never should have said that to her.”

“Hey, I really can't blame you. She is one nice piece of ass,” the black man commented

Draco felt his temperature rising. “Blaise, I will not have you speaking about Ginevra or any other woman like that in my house!”


About a week after the stag, Draco finally caught up with Ginny on Diagon Alley. “Ginny, I need to speak with you,” he urged.

Ginny looked around the busy street. “I can't. I'm Harry Potter's wife!” She turned and walked away from him.



This didn't stop Draco, though. The next morning he waited until he knew Harry would have left for the day, then went to Ginny and Harry's house. When he arrived, he found her working in the front flower beds.

Author notes: I just want it to be clear here. Harry Potter is not the bad guy here. He did not know of Ginny and Draco feelings for each other when he married Ginny.

Leave a Review