My Soul Belongs To You
Chapter Five
Along Came an Offer


That night Harry put the boys to bed while Ginny relaxed. Once he was finished he joined her in their room. “Gin, James said he met a friend of yours today. He said the guy's name was Draco.”

Inwardly Ginny was relieved that the whole incident was completely innocent. “Yeah, he showed up at the park while the boys were playing.”

“Why does James think that Draco is your friend?” Harry asked as he removed his shirt.

“Why? Well, we were talking civilly when James came over and asked who he was. I felt that James was too young to deal with the complicated tale, so it was easier to tell him that. He is only five.”

“I guess. I just don't feel comfortable with James thinking a Malfoy is our friend.”

“Harry, we haven't seen the man since before I got pregnant with James. I don't think it’s anything to worry about.”


At the same time, in Lucius Malfoy's personal study, he and son Draco were talking. “The Daily Prophet wants to do a report on Malfoy Holdings,” Lucius said.

“We could use the publicity,” Draco replied.

“Yes, but most people will think any piece they do about us will be biased by the fact that we are a big advertiser.”

“That would seem l-i-k-e-l-y, unless…” Draco drawled.

“Draco, what are you thinking?” Lucius questioned as he leaned back in his chair.

“I ran into Ginny Potter today at the playground. She has been working as a sports correspondent for the Prophet. If she wrote the piece, no one would think it was biased; at least not in a favorable way.”

Lucius eyed Draco up and down. “What's going on with you and her?”

Draco rose from his seat, walked over to the fireplace, shoved his hands into his pockets, and slouched. “Nothing, Father. Today was the first time I have seen her in almost five years.”

“After all this time you still have feelings for her?”

Draco nodded, then continued. “She's an amazing woman. She is stronger than anyone would ever think. She doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, and I think some of that is because of your actions towards her, but she has the most forgiving nature to her.”

“Then why are you with Astoria?”

Draco looked at his father with a frown. “I believed at the time you would never have allowed us to be together. We needed the deal with Astoria's family, and Ginny's family expected her to marry Potter.”

“People have had lovers before, son.”

Draco shook his head. “I could never ask her to play second fiddle to Astoria.”

“You said it yourself; she married Potter...” Lucius persisted.

“She always loved him. We both knew that, but we did love each other more.” Draco began to pace.

“What would you do to have her back?”

“What?”

“What would you do to have her back?” Lucius repeated.

“Anything, but I could never do that to her. Potter, whether I like it or not, is the father of her children. She does seem happy, so I won't screw with her life.”

Lucius rose and walked over to Draco. “Then why do you want her to write this article?”

“I haven't been alone with her since before I got married. I would just like the chance to talk to her without having to worry about the press hearing us.”

“Draco, it's never been a secret how I feel about her family. However, I still wish you would have talked to me about her. If you want her to write this, that's fine. I will arrange it; it's the least I can do for you.”


A week later Ginny was called into the office to meet with the editor about writing an article. On what, she didn't know. She couldn't help but wonder what was going on. As she entered the office, she noticed that the editor of the business section was also there.

“Mrs. Potter, you know Kevin Snow.”

Ginny smiled at the other man.

“Kevin,” she greeted.

“Mrs Potter, I don't know if you’re aware, but the paper does a huge report on one company every quarter. The company we have chosen for the coming quarter has requested that you write the report.”

Ginny was confused. “Me? Why? Are they a Quidditch team?”

Kevin smiled at her. “No, they are not. They want you because they are a big advertiser and they don't want the piece to be perceived to be biased. You are the perfect person for that.”

“What company is it?” she asked.

“Malfoy Holdings. Look, Draco Malfoy asked to speak to you himself. Do you mind if he comes in now?” He paused for a second. “You are willing to do this, right?”

“I get the feeling I don't have much choice,” she said honestly.

Kevin opened the door and Draco strolled in.

He nodded to both men and then spoke, “Gentlemen, thanks for letting me speak to Mrs. Potter.”

He then ushered the two men from the room.

Once the door closed on them, Ginny asked, “Draco, what are you doing?”

He smiled at her. “Ginny, relax. This is all above board. They want to do the report on my family's company, and we don't want anyone to claim that it's biased. Therefore you're the perfect person to write it. No one would ever claim that a Weasley was being overly nice about anything relating to the Malfoys. If anything, people will believe that you would be harder on us than most. But I won't push you to do something you don't want to do.”

“I'm sure your father would be thrilled to have me checking out Malfoy Holdings.”

“Father is fine with it. And Ginny, he knows about us. He has known since Astoria lost that baby. He was disappointed that I never told him about you before.”

“What? No…no, he hates me!”

“Ginny, you have to understand Father; he's a man of great passion for everything he values. Yes, he did some horrible things in his life, but his family is his greatest asset.”

“Draco, to do this I would have to spend time alone with him. I don't know if I can do that.”

“That's not true. Ginny, you can do anything you put your mind to. Besides, you have nothing to fear from Father. Please say you'll do this.”

“Draco, why do you want me to do this?”

He sighed heavily. “It's a chance to spend time with you. I've missed you. Nothing will happen, I promise. I just need to be able to talk to you without having to worry about who is listening.”

She looked down into her lap. “Okay, I'll do it.” Now she just had to explain this to her husband.

That night Ginny waited until the boys were in bed and Harry was doing some paperwork. Ginny entered the office they both used in the house. “Harry, can I talk to you?”

Harry looked up at his wife. It was clear to anyone that he loved her. “I always have time for you.”

She smiled at him. “I was called in to the paper today. They asked me to do a huge report. By huge I mean, like, a whole section of the paper. The editor asked for me write the major part and I would also have the final say on the whole content of the section.”

“Gin, that sounds like a lot of work. I don't want you to stress yourself out.”

“I know, but Harry this is huge for me. I was asked to do this, not because of the fact that I played Quidditch or that my last name is Potter. Actually, I was asked because my name is Weasley. You see, this report is for the business section. You know how each quarter the paper does a full-scale report on a company? Well, this time they chose Malfoy Holdings, and I guess Lucius Malfoy doesn't want anyone to be able to say the report is biased because they do a lot of advertising with the paper. So they asked for me to write it.”

Harry got up and came over to her. “Ginny, I don't know. That would mean spending a large amount of time with him.”

“I know, but I highly doubt he's going to do anything with you and the whole paper knowing I'm there. Lucius Malfoy is a number of things, but stupid or crazy isn't one of them.”

“I'm not just talking about him trying to do something to you; I worry about the stress that an assignment that big will put on you.”

“You know, I don't want to be like Mum. Once this baby is old enough, I want to work. I want to make a good name for myself, and this could really help later on.”

He took her face in his hands. “Ginny, you know I'm not going to say no to you, but I am worried.”

“I'll take it easy, I promise,” she assured him.


One week later, Ginny walked into Draco's office, and the second the door opened for her, his eyes were on her.

He rose, greeting, “Ginny! It's good to see you.”

“Thank you, Draco.”

His assistant closed the door and neither one knew what to say.

Finally, Ginny urged, “Well, let’s get started. I did a lot of research for today.”

“Ginny, stop. Can't we just talk for a bit?”

“Why, Draco? I mean, wouldn't it be easier on both of us if we just let it go?”

He looked at her for a moment. “Can you tell me you’re over us?”

“No, but for the last five years I have been happy.”

He looked at her. “I don't want to hurt you. I have never wanted to hurt you.”

“I know.”

“Please, just tell me how you have been.”

She stared at him. “Why do you want to hear how happy I am with Harry? I know it hurts you.”

“Because the selfish part of me wants to hear you’re not happy and that he is an ass who doesn't appreciate you, but the part of me that loves you needs to know that you’re happy.”

“Am I the only person who sees this side of you?” she inquired.

“You used to be. However, Scorpius gets to see it too, sometimes.”

“I'm glad for that. Yes, I'm happy. The boys are a handful, but there's no better feeling in the world than hearing them say, 'I love you, Mommy!' And my husband is a good and supportive man. He's good with the boys.”

“It killed me when I heard you were expecting your first child.”

“I know; I felt the same way when Scorpius was born. Now please, can we get to work?”

Author notes: Please leave me a review!

Leave a Review