My Soul Belongs To You
Chapter Six
Wins and Losses

Ginny followed the short, stumpy woman into Lucius Malfoy’s office, but before entering the devil's den she took a deep breath. She refused to show any fear of the man that single-handedly ruined her life; while shaking on the inside, she stayed poised on the outside. He sat in a throne-like chair, looking like he was worth more than he was. Ginny stepped further into the large office. As she did, Lucius stood and smiled, surprising her with his courtesy. “Mrs. Potter, please have a seat,” he greeted, motioning with his hand to the chair on the other side of his desk.

She offered him her hand to shake, but was even more surprised and slightly disgusted when instead of shaking her hand, he softly kissed the top of it, then held it lightly in his. Taking her hand back, she wiped it off on her jacket, behind her back so that he wouldn't notice. “Mr. Malfoy.”

“Lucius will do. Do you mind if I call you Ginevra?”

“I guess not.”

“You have grown into a very beautiful young woman,” Lucius commented, eyeing her up and down.

Ginny was feeling increasingly uncomfortable and quickly swallowed before replying, “Let’s get started.”

He looked at her. “I think not. I have a few things to say to you.”

Ginny could feel her eyes grow wide like saucers.

“Ginevra, I know how Draco feels about you. What I would like to know is; how do you feel about him?”

Before replying, she bit her lip. “Um, Lucius, I don't feel this -”

“Relax, I only want to know if Draco's feelings are one-sided.”

“I think in some ways they are. He told me to be happy, and I am.”

“Then you don't love Draco?” he asked.

She closed her eyes. “I never said that. I do, and I think I always will, but unlike Draco, I also love my husband.”

Lucius eyed her suspiciously. “And if you had to choose between the two?”

Ginny thought for a long moment. “That's not a fair question. Harry is the father of my children, so there is an added bond there.”

The reformed Death Eater smiled. “Yes, children. It is amazing what we will do for them. But let’s pretend, for a moment; that you didn't have your children, and Draco was free of his wife.”

She didn't need to answer; Lucius knew. Yes, she would be torn, but ultimately she would choose Draco.


Later that day, Draco insisted that Ginny join him for lunch. “So how did it go with Father?”

“It was fine,” she said calmly.

“Ginny...”

“Don't, Draco. Just don't! We aren't together, and we aren't ever going to be together. I know some part of you has been pretending this week that we were together, but this has to stop. You can't be doing this. I'm beginning to think it would have been better if we had had a messy break up.”

“Why is it wrong for me to want to be with you?” he asked.

“Because you’re married! I'm married! Draco, you can't be doing this to me. I love Harry! And what you’re doing is just mean. No more!” She got up and left.

Ginny finished her report and did it without seeing Draco again. As much as she was mad at him, she was also mad at herself for wanting to be with him.


Weeks later, she heard that Astoria had had problems delivering, and both she and the baby had passed away. Ginny's heart broke for Draco, and she decided to go to the funeral. She couldn't explain why, but she just felt she had to. She slipped in at the back and watched Draco hold his son, who was too young to really understand what was taking place. Ginny only stayed for the service and left without a word.

But Draco did see her.

The next day, Ginny received an owl from Draco:

Ginny,
I beg you, please don't take any risks! I couldn't bear it if anything happened to you.
Yours always in soul,
D.M.
She couldn't be upset with him, for he had just lost his wife and child. She was touched that he clearly feared for her. However, she was different from Astoria; she had already given birth to two perfect boys without incident.


A couple of months later, Draco read that Ginny gave birth to a small but perfect baby girl named Lily Luna Potter. He noted that it took three children for Ginny to finally get a name that meant something to her; although it was only a middle name. It made Draco question Harry's feelings for Ginny, to the point where he hired a private investigator to find out if Harry was the type to sleep around on his wife. Draco was quite disappointed when his P.I. returned with nothing, but soon realized that Ginny didn't feel the need to name her child after people in her life because she had the chance to know her loved ones. Potter, like Draco, had a piece of him missing from never knowing these people, much like Draco and the daughter he lost. This only served to remind Draco of one of the reasons he loved Ginny; how she always thought about everyone else first.

Whether Ginny or Draco liked it or not, they ended up being invited to many of the same functions. The 'Hero of the Wizarding World' was a must on most guest lists, public and private. The Malfoy money also made Draco a must have. However, the Potters went to very few events, preferring to spend time with family, which seemed to Draco to be growing by the second.

When Draco did see Ginny, she was nearly always with Potter or one of her family. Yet, despite what Ginny said the last time they spoke, Draco saw that she still wore the necklace he had given her. At least he knew she still cared; she just didn't want to be teased with what she couldn't have. Selfish Draco loved this.

In Draco’s own life, Daphne had stepped up and helped with Scorpius, who was missing his mother. She and Draco were friends and nothing more. It didn't take long for her to realize that someone else held Draco’s heart and that he had no desire to try to find someone else. Therefore she needed to take on the mother role to Scorpius, and she didn't mind, for she couldn't have children of her own.

One day, Ginny was on Diagon Alley with her three children; the two eldest already knew better than to wander from their mother. They had heard tales of wands being taken to one's backside and didn't want to find out if their mother was capable of doing that to them. Lily was still in her stroller, too tiny to wander. James had begged to stop in at the Quidditch shop.

“Mummy, look at that!” James pointed at the newest racing broom.

Ginny had to admit; it even made her want to try it. Then out of the corner of her eye, she saw the white blond hair she knew so well, hiding behind a rack of team jerseys. She looked for the tall man she expected to see nearby, but saw no one around the small boy. “James, watch Al for a second.” She then headed over to the rack and found she was right; there was little Scorpius Malfoy. “Scorpius?” she gently asked.

The boy spun around and looked at Ginny for a second, then he asked, “Are you an angel?”

“No, I'm a Mummy. Your name is Scorpius, right?”

The little boy nodded. “Daddy,” he said worriedly.

“Where is your daddy?” Ginny asked calmly.

“The office.”

Ginny glanced around the shop for someone, anyone, who would be with the small boy, but there was no one. “Who took you out today?”

“Auntie Daphne.”

“Are you lost?” Ginny asked. He nodded, but didn't voice it. Ginny could tell he was trying to fight the tears that threatened to fall. “I know your daddy. Would you like my help finding him?” He looked unsure and it broke her heart. “Look, do you see those boys over there? They're my sons and this is my daughter. Come on, I promise you're safe with me.”

“I know I safe with you 'cause you look like the angel Daddy tells me about.” He reached out and took her hand.

“Okay, we just need to get my boys. Al is just your age.” She wondered if they would like each other, or hate each other like their fathers. Once they collected James and Al, Ginny took the kids out to the street and began making their way to Malfoy Holdings. If nothing else, they would know where Draco was, or someone there could get a hold of Lucius or Narcissa. The three boys chatted about Quidditch with James leading the talk. About two blocks up Ginny spotted a group of people gathered together and soon realized that Draco, Daphne, and several others that she knew to be junior Aurors were there. She pointed them out to Scorpius. “Look, there’s your daddy!”

The boy looked up and his face was awash with relief at the sight of his father, but he hesitated. “It’s okay, buddy. Go on.”

He whispered to Ginny so Al and James wouldn't hear. “Daddy will be mad. I'm not to talk to people I don't know.”

Ginny knelt down and smiled at him. “Don't worry, I promise he won't be mad. And if he is, just send him to me.”

Scorpius nodded and stepped away from Ginny and the boys, then stopped. “Thank you,” he said, then continued towards Draco. Ginny could see the relief come over Draco once he saw his son. He picked the boy up and the others in the group seemed to take off quickly. She could see Draco and Scorpius talking, then Scorpius pointed out Ginny and her children to his father. Draco looked at her and the second he saw her relief again washed over his face. He then turned and said something to Daphne, who nodded. Draco then walked over to Ginny, smiling the whole time. “Ginny!”

“Draco,” she greeted in return.

Draco took note of her children. “My son tells me you were kind enough to help him out.”

She smiled. “He was clearly lost, and I hope someone would do the same if one of my sons was lost.” She looked very pointedly at James and Al, and all could tell she was stressing to the boys that this will never happen with them.

“I would like to show my appreciation. Perhaps I could take you to dinner.”

Ginny couldn't help herself; she longed to say yes, but knew that would never be a good idea. “That’s not necessary.”

Draco realized that she may be thinking he was just trying to do what he did when she was working on the report. “I am sure we could find something that would work for both you and your husband.”

It was then that Ginny knew this was really about him showing he was thankful, but she remembered the promise she made to Harry after their wedding. It was that he would never have to worry about having dinner with the man who took her virginity. “No, I don't think that would work,” she answered.

“Ginny, there must be something.”

She glanced around, then replied, “I'm sure that my children and I wouldn't object to an ice cream.”

He couldn't believe she was serious. “Just an ice cream?”

All three boys heard that magic word and began talking about what flavor they wanted. Ginny smiled. “See?”

“I guess that will have to do,” Draco commented.

Upon hearing this, James and Al began heading for the ice cream shop. “Boys, stop right there! Just because you think you know where you're going doesn't mean you can take off without me!” she sternly told the boys.

Draco put Scorpius down and he joined the boys as they continued talking about ice cream and Quidditch. James looked back at Ginny, who gave a nod, and they started walking at a normal pace to the shop, the other two following his lead. Draco watched for a minute, then commented as he stepped in line with Ginny, “They act like old friends.”

“Quidditch,” Ginny replied.

“You look good, as always.”

She smiled. “Thank you. How have you been doing?”

“I’ve been fine. Things were hard on Scorpius at first, but Daphne has really helped a lot.”

“What happened today?” she asked.

“Daphne ran into someone she knew and was distracted for a minute. I'm guessing Scorpius kept walking and didn't realize she wasn't with him, then got turned around. Where did you find him?”

“In the Quidditch shop; he was trying hard not to panic.” Draco simply nodded. When they reached the ice cream shop, she said, “I'll get a table.”

“What will your boys have?”

Ginny smiled. “Oh, they will tell you.”

Once she found a table and got Lily's stroller placed so it wasn't in the way, Draco returned with the boys, each with their favorite flavor of ice cream. Draco was also levitating three dishes of ice cream. He clearly remembered Ginny loved pistachio and he went with simple vanilla for Lily. Al spoke first. “Mum, how did Scorpius' dad know what to get you?”

Ginny smiled, not missing a beat. “We went to school together.” This satisfied the boy and he returned to talking with the others. She looked back at Draco. “I'm surprised you remembered.”

“Like I would ever forget watching you eat that cone. I think it's still one the most...” He glanced at the boys, “...exciting things I've ever witnessed.” He smirked. “I felt it was safer to get you a dish this time; otherwise we might end up on the front page of tomorrow's paper.” His intention was clear and Ginny blushed bright red.

She hoped to change the subject. “So, who’s in line to become the next Mrs Malfoy?”

Draco frowned, but looked straight into Ginny's eyes. “I married once because I had to. I will only marry again if I get the woman I love. She is, however, unavailable to me.”

“You couldn't marry her then, so why wait now?” she asked.

“There were facts I wasn't aware of at the time,” he explained. Ginny turned her attention to feeding Lily.
Leave a Review