“Ginny, dear. Why don’t you ask Hermione if she wants to go out tonight? I just don’t like the thought of you staying in that flat all alone each night,” Mrs. Weasley said, her head floating in the fire.

“Mum, I’m fine. I’ve got a lot of work I brought home this weekend. Besides, my flat is more than safe.” Draco made it that way, Ginny added silently. “I appreciate it though. But, really, I’m fine.”

“I don’t believe you for a second. But if you have work today, I understand. But I wish you would go out and try to meet someone. After all, it’s been—“

“I know how long it’s been, Mum. And I have asked you time and time again to not push it; when I’m ready, I’ll go out. But for now, I have work that I really need to get done. I’m thinking about doing some pro-bono work for the orphanage.”

Sighing, Mrs. Weasley looked down. “Fine, Ginevra. I’ll see you soon.” And with that, her head disappeared. Ginny knew how long it had been. Six months, fourteen days, eight hours, and twelve…no thirteen minutes since Draco had told her that he was leaving to pursue a religious life. Psh, did anyone actually do that anymore? She had gone through several stages of recovery. At first, she had thought it was because he actually didn’t care about her. That maybe she was that bad in bed that he was leaving; he would go on to find another woman who was more his style. She had envisioned someone with classic patrician features: tall, impossibly slender, blonde hair, and ice blue eyes. Someone who understood what it was like to be a part of an empire and knew what her role would be. Ginny was tall too, but curvy. Her hair was too red and her eyes a simple shade of brown. In the past, when feeling insecure, Draco had reassured her that he would be hopelessly bored with someone who was like him. He needed someone he could fight with and, when that was over, pull her into the bedroom and not leave for hours. But she had shaken that from her heart; he had seemed completely serious when he’d told her of his plans.

Maybe his mother didn’t like her? But that hadn’t been it either. Narcissa had welcome Ginny as much as she could—no doubt it was odd to see her son with a Weasley. But from very early on, Narcissa had believed Ginny was going to be a part of the Malfoy family. Ginny would miss Draco’s mother, oddly enough. She was witty and loved to fill Ginny in on all of the scandal surrounding other families. She supposed that she would have to cut ties with Mrs. Malfoy now.

So Ginny had no idea why Draco had left her. She refused to believe that he was doing this partly for her sake. What kind of idiot believed they had to cut themselves off from loved ones in order to work through their issues. If anything, Draco needed her now more than ever before. He had collected his things when she was at St. Mungo’s one day, leaving a sorry note as his final goodbye.

Ginevra,
I know you don’t believe what I’m doing right now. Even I have a hard time comprehending it. But staying with you wouldn’t be fair to either of us. You deserve someone who can comfort you without constantly believing they are a hypocrite. I still believe that you did nothing wrong during the war. You were incredibly brave unlike me. I can’t stand knowing that, unlike you, I didn’t do all I could during that time. I feel like a liar in our relationship. I know you never meant for it to be that way, and it was in no way your fault. But in order to make up for what I’ve done, I have to leave. I have to go and try to help others. I hope one day you can forgive me. Maybe by then I will have forgiven myself. I’m sorry.

I love you,
Draco

p.s. Please don’t look for me. I don’t think I could go through with this if I saw you again.


So all Ginny was left with was one note, a strong glass of Firewhiskey, and the thousand broken pieces of her heart.


It had been six months, fifteen days, eight hours, and nine minutes since Ginevra had left Draco’s life. As his mum, Narcissa knew he was devastated by it. In fact, when he had told his mother his plans, she had lost all sense and screamed at him until her voice became hoarse. She wanted grandbabies, and there was no way in hell he was going to leave Ginevra. She was a lovely girl; she was exactly what Draco needed. No matter how many times people told Draco he had nothing to be ashamed of, he still believed he was tainted. When she told him this, he had merely shaken his head. He told her he wasn’t going to give her an address where he could be contacted, but promised to write her at least once a week. Now, Narcissa had no one to take tea with—it would be somewhat awkward to see Ginevra now. All she was left with was a big house, a cup of tea, and no grandbabies.

Damn.

____________________________________________________________________________________

He refused to acknowledge how long he had been gone for. To remember would mean he would have to relive the feelings of grief and loss. It was better for everyone now—he wanted Ginny to find someone so much better. She didn’t mean it when she said she needed him. No one should need him because he felt like he was unreliable. He felt like a traitor. When he would lie in bed at night, next to Gin, he just felt like he didn’t belong. Now, he began to fall asleep with a lightened conscience. He was learning what the Word of the Lord was all about. The only issue he was having (besides that nagging feeling that arose when he thought of Gin) was exactly what order he should belong to.

Some clergymen could marry, but he didn’t think he wanted that. If he wanted to purify his soul, he had to do it alone. He refused to drag a wife down the road of regret, remembrance, and, hopefully, purification. The priest who inspired him to begin this path had sent him away to learn his new way of life. So he had packed his things and left. He had almost placed his wand into Gringotts, but he couldn’t part with it just yet. If he ended up pushing a member of the parish to Satanism, he would need a strong memory charm to fix it.

So, there he was with one Bible, a rosary, and too much to atone for.

Author notes: Thanks for reading the first chapter! Don't forget to REVIEW :)

Leave a Review