Eight Days A Week
By: Bunny

Chapter Five – She Avoided…

He was stalking me. I knew that he would, and I knew that he was, but I didn’t know what to do about it. Everywhere I go, every turn I take…he’s there. I’m running away from him constantly and I haven’t found peace for my nerves in over a week. I’ve almost become accustomed to being nervous and jumpy all the time. I’ve used every resource I know, and all the hidden passages, but somehow, he’s still been there, finding me, as if he knew where I would be. And I’ve been running. Oh, have I been running. My legs haven’t been this sore since the day I learned how to fly.

Finally, yesterday I broke down and decided I needed assistance in avoiding him. I’ve recruited my brother Ron and Harry, since I know Malfoy wouldn’t say anything to me in front of them. A bit cowardly of me, I suppose, but I needed a bit of a rest from all the running. It’s become a royal pain because I have to convince them that they need to walk me to class, without telling them why. While Harry has surprisingly been very understanding and possibly even remotely sweet about it, Ron has been nothing but a pill. He has it in his head that I’m still pining over bloody Harry and this is some new plan I have to get his attention. Oh, if he only knew…

This whole situation has me scared half to death. I don’t really know what scares me more. The thought that perhaps Malfoy likes me, or that maybe I like him. Or even scarier, that we might like each other. If that is the case, then what the hell are we going to do about it? I don’t think we can do anything if that’s really the case. I mean my brothers would kill him. Or his Dad would find someway to sneak out of Azkaban and kill me. Or maybe just both of those things would happen. Either way, one or both of us would be as good as dead. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

It’s my fault. First I was unable to curb my curiosity and sought him out. Then I had to go and botch things up by saying the things I said that day at the Slytherin prefect baths. He made me so angry that I forgot what I had wanted to say and instead had blurted out those things to him. Now, he knows. He knows that I must like him at least a little bit, and he wants to do something with that information. Whether he wants to blackmail me, or kiss me, I don’t know; but either are a terrifying thought. I mean, this is Draco Malfoy were talking about: the Malfoy heir, the Prince of Slytherin, the resident Hogwarts bad boy, sworn enemy of all Weasleys. Who knows what he was thinking in that wicked little ferret head of his? But then…I would think about that day, the day that changed everything between us. Everything I had ever thought I knew about Draco Malfoy was suddenly brought into question. The way I felt about him was brought into question. All my life I was seeing him in black and white, and now there were all these colors to him. Colors that I was having an extremely hard time processing. I just didn’t know where he stood anymore.

I just didn’t know where we stood anymore.

I must confess. The sickest part…was that, deep down I liked it. I liked all the attention Draco gave me. The fact that he is who he is and I am who I am made it all the more sweeter in my sick little mind. He was my little secret, and oh, how I love having secrets. Now that I knew he noticed me, it gave me all kinds of feelings. He made me feel like I wasn’t just the littlest Weasley, or the baby sister that needed protection. He made me feel wanted, and interesting, and maybe even attractive or sexy. He saw me how very few people saw me. He saw me for exactly who I was, and for who I wanted to be. He knew that I was sneaky, and determined, and it didn’t bother him. He knew that I was creative and he knew that I wouldn’t take crap from anybody, and it didn’t intimidate him. He knew that there was more to me than the innocent façade that most people saw and took at face value, and it seemed that he might like that about me. I relished in the feeling. It gave me a zing throughout my blood that no one had ever given me before. I might even go as far as to say that, from the moment he left me out on the pitch, I was obsessed with Draco Malfoy.

Of course, as with all well thought out plans, there is a hitch, and a hitch did I have. It was Harry’s turn to walk me to class, and the two of us were casually walking down the dungeon hallway towards my Potions class. I had felt the need to express my gratitude to him for his assistance in what I had named “Project Avoid Draco”. After all, since I had acquired his help, and the help of my brother, I had been able to relax a bit, and let my sore muscles rest.

“Thanks Harry, for helping me out with this. I really appreciate it you know.” I gushed, hoping my expressions of appreciation would induce him to help me more. Hey- don’t look at me like that. I told you I was sneaky and cunning.

Harry had stopped and turned to smile at me with that goofy grin of his that used to melt me right into the floor. I noted that while I still thought he was cute, there was no melting, and I wasn’t blushing. In fact, I didn’t really care much that I was walking with him, or that he was smiling at me. I used to kill for his attention and suddenly I couldn’t care less.

Realization hit me like a ton of bricks and my heart started to beat wildly, as I finally knew without a doubt that my worst fears were true. I was in love with Draco Malfoy. I had to be. Why else would I not give a damn about Harry anymore? Embarrassed by my own thoughts, I started blushing. Oh God, oh God, oh my God! I chanted to myself in disbelief. How did this happen to me?

I was so caught up in my thoughts about Draco that I didn’t even realize that Harry had leaned over to me and cupped my left cheek in his right hand.

“Ginny,” he breathed on my face, snapping me out of my thoughts.

Startled, I looked up at him, and quickly realized how close we were. I blinked at the close proximity of his face and completely bewildered had said the first thing that came to mind, “Harry, what are you doing?”

Instantly, he flushed and pulled away mumbling excuses. I inwardly sighed with relief and then grimaced. Of course, now that I like Draco, Harry suddenly wants to get up close and personal. How irritating. Not irritating that Harry likes me, but irritating that I don’t like him anymore. I mean, damn, what an easy relationship compared to what I have with Draco. If you could call it that. I don’t even know what the heck to call it.

In any case, as Harry was stuttering, and I was sighing and grimacing, Draco came up behind me, grabbed onto my right arm and told Harry to shove off because I wasn’t interested.

I was shocked into silence. All I was able to do was stare dumbly at Draco.

I think it shocked Harry even more though, and I took a bit of comfort in that. But then, I saw the light bulb go off in Harry’s head as he figured out why I suddenly needed him to walk me to my classes half the day. Amazingly, I somehow didn’t care…probably because I was too distracted with being this close to Draco. My goodness, did that boy smell good enough to eat. Did he stock bottles of cologne that would send a girl crashing to her knees or what?

On second thought, I shouldn’t have given Harry that much credit. “Hey, leave her alone Malfoy!” he said, quickly withdrawing his wand. “Why didn’t you tell me you were having troubles with the Ferret?” he asked me.

I rolled my eyes. I swear, sometimes he was as dense as my brother.

Draco actually pulled me closer to him and snarled.

My silence was broken suddenly as I couldn’t help myself and I started giggling. It was just too funny. Harry was being dense, and Draco was being possessive and for some reason the whole ludicrous situation sent me into hysterics. This seemed to startle both of the boys, as they stopped threatening each other to gaze at me with stunned looks on their faces. I laughed harder. They probably both thought I was going mad, but I didn’t care much about that. I was too busy laughing at them.

“Thanks again Harry,” I said as I pulled myself from Draco’s death grip and started walking down the hallway.

“I’ll talk to you later Malfoy!” I sang to him as I made my way around the corner into the next hall and on into the Potions classroom. I collapsed onto my desk in a fit of giggles over my cleverness and planned to thoroughly enjoy the rest of my day. My giggles did earn me a grouchy look from Snape, but he must have been in a good mood too, because he didn’t take points, or give me detention.

Remember that hitch I told you about? Well, the full implications of it happened right after Potions. Feeling confident for having bested Draco before class, I had left without waiting around for my brother or Harry to show up to escort me to the great hall for dinner.

I was walking through the damp hallways of the dungeons, singing under my breath when it happened. I was grabbed suddenly from behind, and quickly dragged into a random deserted classroom that Hogwarts seemed to be littered with. I tried to scream, but the stupid git that grabbed me had been smart enough to cover my mouth with their left hand, muffling any attempts of mine to cry out for help.

I heard the classroom door shut and a couple of spells muttered under my attackers breath, and then I was released. My heart beating madly, and my wand now conveniently in my hand I turned around and almost visibly sagged with relief at seeing that it was only Draco.

“Geez Malfoy! What are you trying to do? Give me a heart attack?” I hissed at him.

End Chapter Five.
Leave a Review