The Safe House

Chapter Twenty-One


Nine-month old Thuban was sitting at the kitchen table with Ginny, eating some fruit pieces off the plate in front of him. She had tried to transfigure a high chair, but she was unsure of its sturdiness and insisted that one of them hold the little boy when he was eating. This was usually Draco's job, as Ginny did most of the meal preparation, and her husband was much more adept at handling the surprisingly strong and fast baby.

Draco entered the kitchen from the outside door and waved hello to his son. Thuban started bouncing up and down in Ginny's lap, waving his arms in the air, pieces of fruit flying to the floor. Ginny was just about to sarcastically thank her husband when Thuban pointed at Draco and shouted, "DADA!"

Draco beamed at the little blond. "Thuban! You are such a smart boy! Who am I?" He pointed to his chest as he crossed to the table.

"Dada! Dada! Dada!"

Draco scooped up the happy baby and lifted him over his head. He lowered him down to his face and blew raspberries into his tummy.

Ginny grabbed the wand from Draco's pocket and quickly cleaned up the fruit. "You better be careful, that's a full belly you are tickling." Draco grimaced in memory of the last time he didn't follow this advice, and he quickly pulled up a seat and placed Thuban on his lap.

"Thanks for the warning." He pointed at Ginny. "Who is that, Thuban?"

Ginny smiled brightly and pointed to herself. "Mama, Mama."

"Mmmbabababa." Thuban laughed and rocked back into Draco's chest.

Ginny shrugged and then tried once more. "Say Mama. Come on, Snitch. Say Mama."

"Dada!" This time, both Draco and Ginny frowned, but Thuban rocked back again with a violent jerk, causing his father to gasp.

Draco sat Thuban on the table facing him and leaned forward. "I'm Dada. Say Dada."

"Dada! Dada! Dada!" Thuban reached forward and grabbed Draco's face.

"That's my boy! That's right, I'm Dada." He kissed the baby's forehead before he turned him around towards Ginny. "That's Mama. Say Mama. Maaamaaa."

"Babababababa!" He lunged forward to reach Ginny, and Draco threw his arm around the baby's waist.

Ginny pulled her chair closer and picked up the squirming baby. "I'll take that for now. Baba loves you, Thuban." She hugged him close to her and shared a warm smile with Draco.



oooooOOOooOooOOOooooo




The Sunday Prophet - May 12, 2007

The Malfoy Legacy by Luna Lovegood

I met with Narcissa Malfoy to answer some of the many questions surrounding the death of her son, Draco Abraxas Malfoy. As previously reported, his body was found last week near an old Death Eater attack site. The Prophet published an account of his burial and list of crimes with which he had been associated, including the murder of a Muggle woman named Felicity Cresswell.

LL: First of all, I would like our readers to know how long you have been under the protection of the Order of the Phoenix. Also, what led you to leave your husband, and in doing so, turn against Voldemort?

NM: I have been with the Order, not as a member, but as you said, under their protection since early January of 2005. I left because, at that point, I had finally accepted that my son was dead.

LL: Yes, the reports from the Ministry were that his body – is this okay with you?

NM: Yes, I have had my time to grieve, and I understand why I am here.

LL: The reports indicate that he had been dead for nearly two years. Yet you just said that you left over two years ago, believing that he was already dead?

NM: I did. Draco was accused of betraying the Dark- I'm sorry- Voldemort in July of 2004. All of the Death Eaters, including my husband, had been called together in order for Voldemort to address this accusation. My son did not show up at the meeting, and he was never seen again.

LL: So he went into hiding?

NM: Yes, I think that he may have tried to do that, but Voldemort created a curse to kill any Death Eaters that betrayed him. I believe he was inspired by my son to do this. It has been called the Curse of the Mark.

LL: We have recently run a piece on that curse. So by the following winter, Voldemort had created the Curse of the Mark, and you had given up hope that he could still be alive?

NM: More or less. I believed that my son would not disappear for six months without contacting me unless something had happened to him. There were also many rumours circulating amongst the Death Eaters that he had been killed. Voldemort's curse was not yet known at the time I left.

LL: And the betrayal? What did he supposedly do?

NM: He was accused of helping Death Eaters and other followers to get away. More specifically, Pansy Parkinson. As strange as it sounds, I do not think that Voldemort had considered anyone doing this to him until then.

LL: Do you believe that this was true? And do you think it is possible that he may have been working with the Order?

NM: I do believe it to be true, and I am not sure if he was acting alone or with anyone in the Order. I believe that my son died to protect one of his oldest friends, and I have given him a proper burial on our estate. Whatever the world may think of the Malfoy family, we love each other.

The mystery surrounding the life and death of Draco Malfoy may not be solved, but I believe that we may learn more about him when Voldemort is defeated. Lucius Malfoy remains at large and is believed to be in hiding with his 'Dark Lord'. If we are to believe his mother, Draco Malfoy chose a very different path from his father, and in the end, those choices may have cost him his life.

[Note: Ms. Parkinson could not be reached for comment, but she has been linked with the Order since the autumn of 2004.]




Harry tossed the paper down and smiled at Ron and Hermione. "Well, it's not exactly what I had in mind, but I think it will work. That last line was perfect. It's as if she is saying 'I love you' straight to her husband. And she left the hidden message on the grave, asking for him to meet her at Andromeda's old house. It's just a matter of time before we hear from him."

Hermione stood up and hugged Harry. "I feel really good about this, Harry. If he truly loves his wife, he just may be willing to help."

Ron laughed darkly. "And if not, we torture the truth out of him. We just need him to come and see her. I'll make him talk after that."

Harry responded, sounding tired, "Ron, we will not have to torture him. We will track him back to Voldemort. It's the better plan. If he leaves Voldemort's side for very long, I'm afraid Voldemort will run again, and we will never find him."

Hermione sat back down next to Ron and reassuringly patted his thigh. "It will not come to that. I know it. This is going to be the end. I don't know why, but I can feel it. We are going to finally be free." Her eyes watered as she looked back and forth between the two men in her life.

Ron pulled her to his chest and kissed the top of her head. "Well, mate, when has 'Mione ever been wrong?"



oooooOOOooOooOOOooooo



Draco pulled Ginny closer to him as soon as she lay down in bed. It had been a long week, and he missed spending time with his wife. Thuban had been sick and had absolutely refused to go down each night. He often would wake his parents up by screaming at the top of his lungs. Ginny had even moved the cot back into their room, much to Draco's dismay. This seemed to comfort the little boy, but it only frustrated his parents. Thuban had even begun demanding to be in Ginny's presence at all moments of the day. Even his naps had to take place in her arms. Whenever she would leave a room, he would quickly crawl behind her. She laughed about her new shadow, but Draco felt slightly disappointed in being so unimportant to his son. Finally, the tiny blond had started to recover from his cold, and Draco insisted that the cot be returned to its rightful place. After Ginny had nursed him and Draco put him in bed, both parents were thrilled to see Thuban's pale grey eyes drift shut without any crying. Draco wriggled his eyebrows and led Ginny by the hand back to their bed.

Draco nuzzled into her neck. "I've missed you, love."

"Draco, I'm so exhausted, and I think I may have caught his cold." Ginny looked up into her husband's disappointed eyes.

"I'll make you feel better. You know I can." He let his hands roam down her body as he melded his own to hers.

"I know, but I've barely slept all week." She yawned right in his face as if to emphasize her point.

He made a very funny face as he tried to suppress the yawn she had given him. "I'll be quick. I promise." He continued to let his hands make the rest of his argument.

After a few minutes of him caressing her body, Ginny felt herself giving in to his desires and slowly turned completely towards him. She started to kiss the hollow of his neck, and she earned a low moan from him when she grabbed his bum. He slowly rolled over, blanketing her body with his, and began more aggressively exploring her curves with his hands and mouth. He deftly removed her knickers before he continued to assault her pliant body. He started rocking into her, and she quickly upped the pace. Using his very talented hands, he skilfully brought her to orgasm. Then, too tired and not wanting to wait any longer, he didn't even bother with removing any more of their clothes before he had buried himself inside of her. He was quickly approaching his own climax when she shoved him away from her.

She kept her hand on his chest, her eyes glazed over, and her breathing laboured. "Draco, we forgot the charm."

"Who cares?" he panted as he started to push against her hand and back into her open legs.

"Draco! Stop, just get the damned wand!" Her eyes had cleared up with her fright.

He looked around the room, "Accio wand." He grabbed it mid-air and performed the charm as he thrust back into her. It was only seconds later that he climaxed with a very satisfied grin on his face.

He lay on her, kissing her neck, and murmuring into her chest. "I told you I'd be quick."

"Yes, but that was a bit close, don't you think? We need to be more careful." She stroked his head lovingly, but he could hear the concern in her voice.

"Sorry about that. But would it be so bad?" He lifted his head up off her chest and gazed into her eyes.

"Clearly, your hormones are still clouding your judgement. Because I recall you saying just this afternoon how glad you were to be past the stage when he was sleeping in here every night." She quirked up a brow before kissing his forehead. "Draco, I love you, but I'm way too tired to have this conversation right now. Though, I am curious. Do you really want another baby?"

He yawned again and rested his head back on her chest. "Well, not right away, but someday. Yes, I want another baby. I love you, Ginevra." He yawned one more time before rolling them back over, with her lying on his chest. "Goodnight. Thank you, love."

"Goodnight."

Ginny slowly relaxed and let herself succumb to sleep. She had been jolted awake at his admission. Her mind had immediately started going over all the reasons to not have another baby whilst in the house, but then she heard him say that he loved her, and as he pulled her body over his, she felt herself smile at the thought of adding to their family.

ooo

The next few weeks passed peacefully in the house. Thuban had put up a fight for a few nights after he had been returned to his room, but he gave in rather quickly when his father was the only one to tuck him in. Thuban was still clinging to Ginny almost every minute that he was awake, and she wasn't sure what to make of it. As much as he tried to not think that his son was afraid of him, Draco would still blame Thuban's current behaviour on the wand incident. On the other hand, it did allow Draco to spend more time flying and working outside, which he greatly appreciated. It was turning into a beautiful summer, and Draco was ready to spend some much-needed time outside the house.

The night before his twenty-seventh birthday, Draco had decided exactly what he would like for a present. Ginny was worried that something else may occur with his Mark, but he assured her that everything would be fine. It had been over eight months since the last calling, and whilst this was a relief to the former Death Eater, it wasn't exactly a comfort to him either. He was beginning to worry about the significance of such a long time without one single calling.

Ginny bustled around the bedroom, straightening up their things and gathering any of Thuban's toys into a basket. "I still think I should stay up tonight. I just think that maybe something might happen. It's been so long without anything. What if it's some kind of game he is playing? What if he wants you to feel safe?" She held the basket of toys close to her as she stood in front of the bed.

He sat the book he was reading on the bedside cabinet and took a deep breath. "Ginevra, love. Put the basket down. Nothing is going to happen. In fact, I'm afraid that nothing is ever going to happen."

She dropped her gaze briefly before looking him in the eyes. "It's over, isn't it? He has won or he's gone, but he's not dead." She started to breathe more quickly, fighting the cries that were threatening to escape.

Draco quickly sat up on his knees and grabbed her around the waist, taking the basket and placing it on the floor. He pulled her to him and kept his arms wrapped tightly around her. "I think so. It's probably that he's in hiding; otherwise, there would still be meetings. I think we need to talk about what we're going to do."

"No. I don't want to," she cried as she stroked his head. "I can't lose you, Draco."

He started shuffling back on the bed and pulled her with him. He was seated against the headboard, and she was cradled in his lap. He pushed her hair from her eyes and smiled. "I don't want to die, Ginevra. I've been thinking a lot about this. We can stay here as long as you want, and then when you're ready, I will do the Orad Karashuotta Spell. We may have to be careful when we leave, depending on what has happened out there. We can find your family, or we can just let them know we're safe, or we can stay here. We can even leave the country; go somewhere safe. We will be fine, and we will be together."

She sat quietly for a few minutes, taking in his words and letting his caresses soothe her nerves. Finally, she let out her thoughts. "I want to stay here. We're safe, happy, and I don't want you to give up your magic. We will have to ration the food a little more closely and probably expand the garden. We can do more hunting in the forest. So we will stay until Thuban is old enough for school."

"School? As in Hogwarts?" He shifted to better see her face. "Ginevra, he's not even one. That's ten more years. Are you really willing to stay hidden away from the world and your family for ten years? I don't know if I can let you do that."

She sounded angry. "You said it was up to me. And I want to wait. Let's plan on ten years." Then her eyes softened, and she teased him. "Are you tired of me already?" She kissed his nose.

"No, I just – "

"Then it's settled. We will wait for ten years. If things are bad out there, I don't want Thuban to be a part of it. We're safe here, and that is all that matters to me right now. Besides, ten years is a long time. Maybe he'll come back, and Harry will finally defeat him. Then you will still have your magic, and we will be free."

"And your family?"

"My family knows I'm alive, Draco. I've told you about the clock. I wish I knew what was happening with them, but as they say, ignorance is bliss. Perhaps it's better that I don't know. All I do know is that you and Thuban are the most important people in the world to me. You come first."

He blinked his eyes. "Ten years. All right then, ten years more in the house. I will be thirty-seven when we leave. That sounds bizarre." He grimaced and then took a deep breath. "Ten more years of magic."

"Unless he is defeated." She kissed him sweetly.

"You're so optimistic sometimes. But you're right. It could happen, and that would be amazing. You are amazing. I love you."

"I love you, too. And I think until it happens, we should just live as normally as we can, well, as normal as we can locked away from the world." She laughed and then started to stroke his cheek. Her eyes were filled with so much love for him, and she couldn't resist giving him another kiss.

"Yes, normal may be a bit of a stretch, but if this is really what you want – "

"It's what I want. I've thought about this possibility, too, Draco. Not very much, but I'm glad we've decided. Now, we can just be us. No more worrying. We can just enjoy our life here with Thuban …and with any other children we may have." She gauged his reaction to her last statement. They had not discussed the idea of more children since the night he had almost forgone the Contraceptive Charm.

"I was wondering about that. You know, I really did mean what I said that night. And if we're going to be here for a while, we should probably figure that out as well. Have you thought about it?"

"Well, I'd like our children to be close. As much as I hated Ron sometimes, it was really nice having someone that was so close in age as me. Fred and George were only a few years older, and that was good, too, but I always played more with Ron growing up. I guess I'm saying we could start soon."

"Soon? How soon? As in right now soon?"

"Maybe after his birthday." She quickly turned her head towards the desk and noticed the time on the clock. "Oh, Draco, it's after midnight! Happy birthday!"

"Thank you, and I forgot to tell you what I wanted." He gave her a devilish grin.

"Okay?" She tilted head away from him, thinking that he was going to ask for sex.

"I want to take him on the broom."

"No."

"It's my only request."

"No. He's a baby." Her mouth was pressed into a thin line.

"And I'm his father. I'm not going to let him get hurt. And we cannot even go that high. You can put a Sticking Charm on us if you want."

"A Sticking Charm? You would let me do that?" She gave him a devious smile.

He rolled his eyes at her. "If you must."

"Okay. But you have to stay where I can see you at all times."

He huffed, but then he gave her the Smirk of Triumph. "Fine, but I amend my earlier statement. Since I must follow your rules, I do have one more request."

She gave an exasperated sigh and shook her head, wondering what other unexpected thing he would want for his birthday wish. "What?"

Instead of answering, Draco began kissing her and pulling at her nightgown. It wasn't long before the two were fulfilling his second request over and over again.








Author notes: Thanks for reading. I know this story is really long. Thanks for sticking with it. Now please leave some reviews!

In case you forgot, the Orad Karashuotta Spell is the one Draco was prepared to use before Thuban was born. It will strip him of his magic and, hopefully, break the bond of the Dark Mark.

Thanks to SometimeSelkie, awesome beta, who thinks D & G are kind of crazy at this point. I think safe and complacent are very easy to embrace. What do you think?

Leave a Review