The Safe House

Chapter Twenty-Three


Thuban's first birthday was a big deal to Ginny, and she had stressed all morning that it had to be a perfect day. She even had baked him his own little cake in addition to the other small one she made for Draco and herself to enjoy. Draco had thought it was a bit much to bake two cakes, but she insisted that this was the way her family celebrated first birthdays. When they sat outside on the patio and watched Thuban devour his cake with his little hands, Draco couldn't help but think that maybe the Weasleys were right about this tradition. It was very entertaining to watch the little boy indulge himself so happily.

Thuban grinned at his parents, his cheeks covered in chocolate and his hands sticky from feeding himself. He took another chunk of cake into his left hand and held it towards Draco. "Dada!"

Draco glanced at Ginny and cringed as he took the piece out from the grubby little hand that was also covered in slobber. "Thank you, Thuban. Mmm." He smiled and waited for Thuban to look away so he could toss the offensive food behind him.

Ginny started laughing. "He's sharing, Draco. Don't disappoint him. Just eat it." Her voice had caught the baby's attention long enough for Draco to successfully dispose of the cake. She rolled her eyes at him. "It's not that bad. He's your son. You made him. I think you can handle a bit of dribble from him."

"That, love, was more than a bit. He's practically turned that cake into a chocolate pudding. I don't know how you can eat after him the way you do. It's quite disgusting sometimes. Half-eaten biscuits and fruit." He grimaced and shook his head.

"I'm disgusting? Or is your child disgusting?" She arched her brow at him.

"He's a baby. You, on the other hand, should have more taste than that." He was joking, but he was also not picking up on the fact that she was not.

"So I'm disgusting to you. That's great. I'm glad we are being completely honest with each other." She stood up and picked up the plates.

"MAMA!" Thuban had been ignored long enough and had finished his cake. He started crawling across the patio, following her and leaving little smudges of cake on the blanket they had laid out.

Draco scooped up the birthday boy and, holding him at a safe distance, carried him into the house. He sat Thuban in the sink and began taking off his clothes. He smiled at the messy boy and stated, "You need a bath."

Ginny had gathered all of the things outside and entered the kitchen. Draco was bathing the baby already, and she rolled her eyes at his attempts to keep Thuban perfectly clean at all times. "You do realize that he will only get messier as he grows up?"

He looked over his shoulder at her and replied, "Malfoys are not messy. And I'm teaching him to be clean, Ginevra."

She glared at his back, taking his remark as a comment against what she was teaching him. "Really? Well, Harry was not very neat." She sat at the table, waiting for his response.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He turned completely around after charming the bubbles to dance around Thuban, keeping him entertained.

"Language, Draco. I just think that maybe he will not be neat either." She paused and watched her husband narrow his eyes.

"Why would my son have anything in common with Potter?" He crossed his arms and gave her a strange look. He was not angry, but he hated Harry and could not fathom why she would be bringing him up. Is this about her being disgusting? She knows I was joking, right?

"Well, they do share a birthday. It would make sense that they may have some common characteristics." She smiled innocently at him.

"They what?" He started to step away from the sink, but he realized that would not be a good idea since Thuban could easily get hurt. "Why haven't you ever mentioned this?"

"I thought I had."

"No, you certainly do not think you had. You're upset with me, and you're trying to piss me off. You've waited an entire year to tell me this? I can't believe you didn't tell me before." He looked at her angrily before turning back to Thuban and placing him in a towel. He carried the baby out of the kitchen and up the stairs.

ooo

Later that night, Ginny took her time coming to bed. She felt guilty for her behaviour that afternoon. The rest of the day had been somewhat tense between the two parents, and it made her feel worse that she had ruined Thuban's first birthday. She climbed into bed and noticed that Draco didn't roll towards her or even acknowledge her presence. She lay there for a minute before tentatively reaching out to him and caressing his bare back.

He tensed under her touch, but he didn't want to be angry with her. "Goodnight, Ginevra."

She started kissing his back and wrapped her arm around him. "I'm so sorry. I've been awful today. I think I'm a bit hormonal, but it's no excuse to be so moody towards you. I'm sorry." She kissed his shoulder as she scooted her body closer to his. "I never told you because I didn't want you to think I cared that it was the same day. It doesn't mean anything to me."

He thought for a moment about what she said. "You're right. I probably would have thought that, but it doesn't matter to me either. Thuban is perfect. And … I don't really think you're disgusting." He felt her smile against his skin.

"Good. Because I wouldn't want you to stop me from doing this." She pulled him towards her and climbed on top of him. "I love you." She leaned down and kissed him deeply.

He smiled at her and replied, "Love you, too."

She continued to kiss him for several minutes, and he began to caress her breasts. It didn't take long for his touches to turn her on, and she began rocking into him. After she felt him pressing against her, she sat up and lifted her gown off, revealing that she had nothing on underneath. He sat up partially and began using his mouth to explore her body. Eventually, she pushed him back into the bed, sitting up on her knees to allow him to remove his pyjamas. She was just about to push herself onto him when he stopped her.

He started to reach towards his wand, but she placed her hand on his arm. "Draco, let's stop using the charm."

"Yeah? Are you sure?" His eyes bore into hers, and she saw the lust slowly turn into love.

She nodded her head. "I want to have another baby."

She kissed him sweetly and felt his arms hold her to him. As he kissed her neck, she lowered herself onto him. They made love for a long time that night. It was different, knowing that they could be creating another child. They had never had that experience before, and it brought them closer together. They smiled more and knowingly gazed into each other's eyes. It was a beautiful celebration of both the birth of their son and the possibility of making a new life.



oooooOOOooOooOOOooooo



George looked at the former Slytherin with disbelief. He shook his head and turned to Narcissa. "Is she always such a pain in the arse?" Narcissa briefly surveyed her two housemates and returned to eating her dinner with a small smirk on her face.

Pansy walked over to the redhead and smacked him on the back of the head. "You're the pain! Sweet Merlin, George, you act like you are in charge of us."

George levelled his eyes at her. "Well, I do believe I am in charge, Pansy. Otherwise, they wouldn't have needed to send me here. They couldn't trust you, could they?"

She screamed at the ceiling in frustration. Then she stormed over to the stove and prepared her plate.

George laughed. "Or maybe it's just that Harry – "

She turned around quickly and pointed her wand at him. "Leave Harry out of this! You don't know anything about my relationship with him."

He lifted his brows, and then his smile returned in full force. "Your relationship? Sweets, I don't want to know." He watched her turn red as she held in her anger. He laughed once more before turning away from the hostile witch. "Narcissa, thank you for preparing a lovely meal this evening. It's nice to not be the only one around here who can cook." He glanced over at the fuming brunette.

Narcissa delicately wiped the corners of her mouth before replying. "Thank you, George. I've learned a lot from my sister these last few years."

Dinner remained a quiet meal between the three housemates. George had arrived in the early part of July and had immediately begun sparring with Pansy. Narcissa thought he was very funny, and he had confided in her that picking fights with the younger witch was a good way to pass the time. By late August, after seven weeks of living together and the strain of waiting for Lucius to arrive, the arguing had become more heated between the two. This often led to awkward and silent meals since both did not want to add to Narcissa's stress.

Narcissa was just standing from the table, preparing to take her plate to the sink, when the ring on her right middle finger began to burn. She dropped the plate, causing it to shatter on the floor, and looked wide-eyed at the other two. "He's coming!"

George and Pansy both reached into their pockets and activated the coins, alerting the others that Lucius was making contact with Narcissa. George reached over to the blond witch and led her into the sitting room. "Narcissa, I will be right on the other side of that door. You know you have to at least give him his ring before anything else. Then get as much information from him as possible. If you think that he may run for any reason, you must give me the signal. I will stun him, and then we will go from there. Pansy!"

Pansy quickly joined them from the kitchen. "I was just cleaning up the glass. I know, George. I will stay with you until he calls for me. Narcissa, you ready?"

"As I can be. I really do think that he wants to help. He never wanted to be a slave to that monster." She smoothed down her dress and lifted her chin. "Okay, go on! Get in the closet. I'm fine."

Pansy produced a vial from her pocket. "Here, we should all take this. I made it several weeks ago, but it should still be good. It will keep us awake and alert for at least twenty-four hours."

George watched her take the first drink, and after Narcissa followed, he took the vial in his hands and gave her a genuine smile. "Thanks, Pansy. That was brilliant." He swallowed the remaining potion and gestured towards the closet. "After you, sweets."

ooo

It was several hours before the sound of someone Apparating into the front yard was heard. Narcissa stood from the sofa, wand at her side, and watched expectantly for her husband. Lucius slowly entered the unlocked front door and immediately saw his wife standing inside the sitting room. He paused at the door and took in her beautiful face, reading her eyes for anything suspicious. When he saw only love, he crossed the room in three long strides and took her into his arms.

"Oh God, Cissy. I've missed you so much." He began kissing her face and closed his eyes as he felt the tears on her cheeks and her arms holding him tight. "I don't have much time." He kissed her mouth again. "He could notice that I'm gone at any moment. Here, take these. They will explain so much to you."

She felt him hand her three small vials that appeared to contain memories. She pocketed the vials and looked up into his eyes, pulling him closer and kissing him again. "Take your ring. I want you to have it on you."

He smiled at her and placed the charmed ring on his finger. "He came to our house to perform the Curse of the Mark for Draco. He wanted me to watch." He grimaced in anguish. "Oh, Cissy, I am so sorry. He died on his birthday two years ago."

"I know. It's okay, Lucius. It's over now."

Her admission to this knowledge seemed to awaken him, and he waved his wand around the room. "Someone is here. Come out!" He held Narcissa close to him, but it was more out of protection than as a hostage.

Pansy exited the closet with her wand in her back pocket and her hands raised. "It's me, Mr. Malfoy. Pansy Parkinson."

He smirked at her. "I should kill you for what happened to my son. Expelliarmus." He easily caught her wand.

Narcissa pulled him back to face her. "Lucius, no. She has been my one true friend. Please don't hurt her. Draco chose to save her. Don't make his death meaningless by killing the witch he died to protect."

His eyes darkened, and he looked pained at the mention of his son's death. He gathered his wife back into his arms. Looking at Pansy, he barked, "Write this down!"

She jumped at his voice and quickly pulled a paper and pen from the table by the sofa.

"He's at 472 Chartling Ave. in Bath. We move every couple of days or weeks, depending on what he is thinking. Bella and Theodore Nott are the only other Death Eaters. We are constantly changing who is Secret Keeper. I am right now. Tell Potter that Nagini is the only Horcrux left. He must get there as soon as possible in case I have been caught."

Narcissa sobbed into his chest. "No, you cannot die." She grabbed his hand and started to pull the ring from his finger. "Let me keep it so you can contact me again. We can try it again."

He gently cupped her face. "Narcissa, it's time. If I live through this, I promise I will find you. I must go. It's been long enough." He kissed her once again and held her head close to his chest. "I love you, my dearest."

"I love you! I love you, I love you, I love you!" She kissed him repeatedly until he slowly pulled away from her and Disapparated. She collapsed onto the floor, weeping for her husband.

Pansy grabbed her wand from the floor where he had dropped it. She pulled the grieving woman to her and held her close, rocking her. "George! Contact them now!"

He joined them on the floor. "It's already done. They should be here …" He looked up as he heard several pops of Apparition. "Now."

Harry dropped to his knees in front of Narcissa. "What did he tell you? Where is he?" His eyes were bulging, and he looked wild.

Pansy thrust the paper into his hands. "This says where he is. Nagini is the only Horcrux left. Bellatrix and Theodore are the only other Death Eaters with them. They move all of the time, and he said you should act now."

"And Ginny?"

"We didn't ask. He was only here a few minutes, Harry. He seemed to believe that he would be caught. He said it was time."

He nodded quickly before standing up and facing the others. "Alert the rest of the Order. This war ends tonight."



oooooOOOooOooOOOooooo



"Draco! Come here!" Ginny was sitting on the floor of the sitting room playing with Thuban. It was a beautiful morning late in August, and Draco had gone outside to work in the garden before the heat set in for the day. The windows were opened, and a warm and gentle breeze was blowing through the house. "Thuban, you can do it! Just wait for Daddy!" Ginny turned her body towards the dining room and called again, "DRACO!"

Draco wiped his forehead and stood up from the plants. When he heard Ginny call the second time, he quickly strode into the house and cut through the dining room. "Yes?"

"Watch him. I think he's going to walk." She beamed at her husband and then held her arms open to the baby who had pulled himself up on the chair across the room. "Come on, Snitch. Come to Mama!"

Thuban looked back and forth between his parents and began babbling. He turned back to Ginny and gave her a distressed look when she didn't come to him. "Mama!"

"Thuban, you can do it. Come on." She smiled encouragingly at the little blond, but he sat down where he stood.

Draco walked into the room and lifted the little boy up onto his feet. He walked him over to Ginny, and she held her arms out to him again.

"Mama!" Thuban fell into her arms the moment Draco let go of his hands. He cuddled up to her and nuzzled his head into her chest.

Draco sat on the floor a few feet across from his family. "Thuban, come to Daddy." Thuban turned his head towards Draco and gave him a gummy smile. "That's right, Snitch. Come here." Draco stretched one hand out to the baby and held it in the air, waiting for Thuban to reach for it.

Thuban looked back up at his mother, and then back at Draco. "Dada." He held on to Ginny's shirt with his right hand, but he reached out to Draco with his left. "Dada." His small voice became more urgent and insistent.

Draco laughed at his little boy's attempt at being demanding. He leaned forward the smallest bit and waited for Thuban. "Come on. Take a step."

Thuban scrunched up his little face and then toddled forward one step, trying to maintain his hold on Ginny's shirt.

"One more step, Thuban." Draco smiled and never moved his hand from its waiting position.

The baby took one more hesitant step, and releasing his grip on Ginny, he finally reached his Daddy's hand. "Dada!"

Draco held him up in the air and lowered him to his face, kissing him on the forehead. He tossed him up in the air and caught him. "Thuban! You did it!"

Thuban was giggling loudly at being tossed in the air. He loved it when Draco would play that game. "Up! Up! Up!"

Draco checked with Ginny to make sure she was okay with it and tossed the little boy once again in the air. "Okay, Thuban. Walk to Mummy." He placed him back on the ground, facing Ginny who reached her hand out to him.

Thuban smiled at his mummy and started to reach out to her. She had scooted back a tiny bit to make him have to take more than one step on his own. Draco held him with his left arm as the baby tentatively stepped towards Ginny.

"Come on! You can do it!" she cheered him as he started to step away from Draco's hand.

"AAH!" Draco let go of Thuban and pulled his arm to his chest. The baby fell to the floor and began crying loudly.

Ginny quickly crawled past Thuban and grabbed Draco's wand and his arm. She pulled it away from his chest and was just beginning to start the Healing Spells when he stopped her. They both looked down at the ugly black Mark and noticed that it was fading. "What is it? Draco?"

"He's dead." He grabbed her to him and hugged her tightly. They both started weeping and laughing. Their strange behaviour had stopped Thuban's crying, and he crawled over to his parents and pulled on their arms. Draco picked up his son and placed him between them. He kissed Ginny and then Thuban. "We're free."






Author notes: SometimeSelkie = :)

Thank you for reading. There's a bit of transition to come, and then we will be entering Part Three – leaving the house. So what did you think about Lucius? He's lost everything important to him at this point. I hope that came across well enough to allow him to be a bit softer.

Thanks for the reviews! It's so awesome to get some feedback.

Leave a Review