The Safe House

Chapter Nine


“Great. Now I can tell Potter that I, too, am the Boy-Who-Lived.”  He leaned his head against hers as they were propped up against the headboard of his bed.

Ginny laughed quietly. “Funny. I’m sure he’d love to know that you’ve stolen his thunder.”

Draco laughed along with her, but his mind was already scheming. I will be stealing something even more valuable of his before we leave this house.

After lunch, they had read another part of their current book and then had taken a nap. It was getting later in the evening, and Ginny was thinking of preparing dinner whilst trying not to think about everything that had happened the night before.

She sat up and turned her body to face him, sitting on her knees. “Draco? Why do you think it happened now, after all this time? Have you not felt the calling whilst you were here?”

He knew exactly why it had happened that night, from the moment it began. “Yes, he has called several meetings since I’ve been here, but I guess I have become used to them. I don’t know what that was. I had no idea he could do that. Severus must not have known about it either. As for it happening now? … My birthday. This was my birthday present. Knowing the Dark Lord as well as I unfortunately do, it was probably done in front of all his loyal followers, including my father. A little gift for the both of us. He has a thing about symmetry and symbolic gestures. I’m sure he found it quite entertaining to end my life on the day it began. And you’re right, I hope. He thinks I’m dead. This shouldn’t happen again.”

“Oh my God! Your birthday! Oh Draco, I had such great plans for today.” She jumped up from the bed. “And why didn’t you tell me about the meetings? I could have helped you.”

“Ginevra, I have seen the way you look at the Mark. It disgusts you. I didn’t want you to know. I guess it makes it easier for me to pretend that it’s not there at all.”

It hurt to hear the way he described her. She knew it was true, though, and that made her feel ashamed of her behaviour. “Let me make it up to you. I’m going to shower; I feel wretched. And whilst you clean up, I will get your birthday dinner ready.”

After taking a very quick shower and changing into one of her nicer outfits, she helped Draco out of bed and ushered him into the loo. He grumbled the entire way, calling her “mother”, and shut the door in her face when she offered to help him undress. 

ooo

Draco gradually worked his way down the stairs, not because he was unable to, but because he had promised Ginny that he would call for her help. Upon reaching the bottom, he looked into the sitting room and could see candlelight shining from the dining room. He crept through the sitting room, curious to see what his witch had panned. MY witch is quite right. She is mine, or will be. It’s just a matter of time. He jumped when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to face a very haughty looking Ginny.

She stuck her chin out and said, “Do you honestly think I could have grown up in the same house as Fred and George and not learnt a thing or two?"

“I remember being able to sneak up on you and steal my wand right from your hand,” he quipped.

“Yes,” she admitted, “but I hadn’t eaten much for a couple of days and…” She stopped as she realized that he was not buying it. “Fine. But I caught you this time, and you’re lucky because I actually didn’t want you in the kitchen. So please take a seat, and I will serve dinner shortly.” She placed him at the head of the table and ran her hand across his forehead. “I see you made it down the stairs without any problems.”

Dinner was a feast, at least compared to their normal cuisine. Ginny had gone all out in her cooking. She had prepared a large salad, two vegetables instead of one, and a meat dish. Fortunately, she had already planned the menu, and with Molly Weasley as a role model, she was able to whip up the delicious meal in record time.

“Happy Birthday, Draco.” The candlelight was reflecting off of his blonde hair, and his grey eyes looked silver. She knew in that moment that she loved him. I love him. I really love him. I can’t believe that I am hopelessly in love with Draco Malfoy and couldn’t be happier about it.

He watched her staring at him across the table. She looked at him dreamily, and he felt his pulse quicken. He was anxious and wanted to declare his feelings for her right then and there, but a small voice in his head warned him that it might scare her.

After finishing their meal, Ginny picked up their plates and told him to stay seated. He looked at her questioningly, and she just grinned. Within a few moments, she returned carrying a chocolate cake that was lit with one candle. She began singing the birthday song to him with a clear soprano voice, and he found himself in awe of this beautiful witch.

She beamed at him as she sat the cake in front of him. “Blow out the candle, Draco. And make a wish, but don’t tell me what it is. 

He chuckled quietly. Can I SHOW you what it is? I wish that Ginevra Weasley was mine, in love with me as I am with her.  He quickly blew out the candle and stood up, taking her hand in his. “You are amazing, Ginevra.” He pulled her into an almost too friendly hug. “I can’t believe you made me a cake. When could have had time to do this? 

She arrogantly responded, “We witches have many secrets.”

He gave her a snooty look, mocking her own expression. Then his face became very serious. “Please sit down. I want to serve you.” He pulled out the chair immediately to his left and indicated for her to sit.

“Draco, it’s your birthday. I should be serving you.” She started to resist, but he took her by the shoulders and gently pushed her into the seat. He grabbed the plates from the dresser and began cutting the cake, serving her first.

Several minutes later, his eyes were closed as he ate another bite off of his plate. “Mmmmm… this is so damn good. I could kiss you!” He didn’t see her blush or lick her lips at his exclamation.

After a few moments more of watching him so thoroughly enjoying her cake, she suddenly broke the silence. “Oh, I do have one more surprise for you!” She shot up out of the chair and ran to the sitting room, returning with a look of pure glee on her face and something behind her back.

“Really? A gift?” He looked at her incredulously and watched her walk around the table and to his side.

“Close your eyes and hold out your hands.”

When he complied, she gently placed the broomstick in his hand and watched as his face looked curious and then surprised. “Go ahead, open your eyes!”

“You fixed it, didn’t you? I can’t believe it! Have you flown it yet?”

She bit her lip, smiling, and shook her head no. “It’s your gift and your broom. You should get the inaugural flight – but not until tomorrow when you are more rested. 

He laughed and then grabbed her to him. “Thank you. But we will riding this broom together – and right now.” She started to stop him, but rationalized that if she was with him, then she could at least make sure that he was okay. That and she was thrilled to think about the two of them sharing the broom.

Once outside, Draco ordered the broom up and grinned at its quick obedience. He had missed flying and was very excited to be in the air again. He hopped onto the broom and motioned for Ginny to join him, lifting his eyebrows as he pointed in front and then behind him. She held up the wand in answer and climbed on behind him.

She was suddenly nervous about being so close to him, and she put on her professional voice. “I will be checking for the boundaries of the wards and keeping the wand in case we need it. You promise that you are okay to fly? Don’t do any stunts tonight.”

“Yes, I am fine. Hold on, Ginevra.” He felt her arms come around him and her breasts press up against his back.

“And?”

“And I promise to be safe.” Suddenly, he kicked off and took them into the air.

The sun was down, but the air was still warm from the day. It was glorious. They were both overjoyed at feeling the rush of air. Ginny began shooting spells at the sky to check the wards. Just as Draco had predicted, they could not go as high as they would have liked, but at this point, neither one of them could complain. Flying was something both had excelled at and enjoyed since they were very young. When Ginny had been trying to repair the broom, they had often discussed their favourite flying stories and relived some of the best Quidditch matches from Hogwarts. Draco had revealed how his team had dreaded her arrival on the pitch because she had been so talented. He lamented having never caught the snitch before Potter, and then she had told him of what had happened when she had caught it. “Just think, he could have been snogging you,” she said. “And then you could have avoided this whole mess, being locked up here with me.” That had ended the conversation quickly, with Ginny feeling uncomfortable that she had said the wrong thing, and Draco trying not to picture her or himself with Potter in a passionate embrace.

After a half-hour of flying around the house and through the small part of the woods they had access to, Draco brought the broom back down close to the back door. He helped her down from the broom and then dismounted. Her face was flushed, and she had never looked more beautiful to him than at that moment. She was standing very close to him.

He leaned slightly into her and said with an enticing tone, “You want to fly some more? You can steer this time.”

She pulled herself up and slightly away from his invasion on her personal space. Then with concern in her tone, she replied, “No, that is enough for tonight. Seriously, Draco, I don’t want you to overexert yourself.”

“All right. But tomorrow it’s your turn. Shall we?” He held his arm out towards the house.

“Thank you.” And she took the broom from him, making him laugh.

“Don’t trust me, do you?”

“I trust you. I just don’t want to be left behind tomorrow.”

She laughed as he held the door open for her. He was always doing little things like that for her she realized. He had been raised very traditionally, and it showed. As much as she enjoyed that kind of attention, it made her think of what other more “traditional” values he may still hold. They had never really broached the subject of blood purity. It was a deal-breaker for her, and she suddenly felt the excitement of the flight disappear.

Draco had watched her mood change rather rapidly. He wasn’t sure what had happened, but at this point, he knew better than to make her talk about things before she was ready. He thought that the afterglow of the flight might have allowed him the opening to kiss her, but it hadn’t felt right. He could tell she was still worried about him when they landed, and as heart-warming as that was to see, it was not the romantic moment he had envisioned whilst flying around.

Suddenly she turned to him, in complete Healer mode. “I am going to change your sheets so you can get back into a clean bed tonight. Mum always said that you sleep best on clean sheets.” She had immediately grabbed the dishes from the dining room and had deposited them into the sink. She also put the cake into the refrigerator and reapplied the Cooling Charm to the inside. She was bustling about the kitchen, cleaning and putting things away as Draco sat at the small table. She seemed fussy and was clearly not in the mood to talk so he got up and crossed to her, stopping her movement.

“Ginevra? I just wanted to say thank you for… everything. And this birthday will always mean more to me than you could ever know.” He leaned forward and kissed her on the forehead, holding his lips to her soft skin just a little longer than normal. “And I can change my sheets. You have done enough for me today. Come on, leave the rest of the dishes for tomorrow.” He started to pull her towards the swinging door to the hall when she pulled back.

“No, it will just take me a few more minutes. Go ahead and get ready for bed. I will be right up.” She smiled brightly, but he could see that it did not reach her eyes, and he reluctantly left her.

ooo

Ginny climbed to the top of the stairs several minutes later. She had taken her time cleaning up the kitchen after he left, hoping that he would be asleep before she finished. She could hear him moving about his room and then settling into bed. After waiting a few more minutes, she quietly headed for her own room. Her mind was filled with conflicting emotions, and she was heavy with worry over the blood purity issue. She also was beginning to feel the emotional effects of the night before. The birthday celebration had been a good distraction, but lying in her bed, she finally had to face the fear she had buried. The fear of losing this man for whom she was falling. She sobbed into her pillow, trying to be quiet, trying not to disturb Draco. Her body was shaking, and a few cries escaped her lips.

Draco had made the bed and performed Scourgify on everything in the room. He changed into his best pyjamas and waited anxiously for Ginny’s arrival. He had assumed that she would as least tuck him in, and then his plan on getting her to stay with him would begin. He wasn’t past playing sick if it came down to it. He never wanted to wake up without her again. Once was addictive enough, but twice that day he had been able to enjoy waking up to her soft body in his arms. He heard her door shut and his heart sank. I can’t believe she didn’t come in here. How could I be so wrong? I could have sworn she was feeling something, too. Is she really still that hung up on Potter? Deciding that he would respect her privacy and need for space, Draco rolled over and tried to fall asleep. Instead, he lay in bed, going over every detail of their conversation, trying to work out when he had done or said the wrong thing. He was just concluding that it was the Dark Mark branded onto his arm that was keeping her away when he heard her cry. 

Standing in front of her door and listening for her to make another sound brought back the memories of the night not so long before when she had been dreaming of him. He decided that if that were the case again, he would react in a very different manner this time. The knowledge that it was his name on her lips as she climaxed gave him the courage to go on into her room. What he found instead was a distraught Ginny, curled up on her bed, still wearing the clothes from the evening. Her face was covered in tear tracks, and he wanted nothing more than to make it all better. He swiftly crossed to her, picked her up in his arms, and carried her back to his larger bed. Her lack of reaction worried him as he took off her shoes and pulled the covers up over her. He crawled in next to her and pulled her upper body onto his chest. 

“Shh…Shhh…please don’t cry, love. Tell me why you are so upset.” He didn’t think he had ever once in his life used such a gentle voice with sincerity.

“I…unhh..I…unhh…I was so scared.” She bawled into his chest, and he continued to hold her closer and started slowly rocking her. “I …unhh…thought that you. ……were going to die.”

“But I didn’t, and it’s all because of you. You were so brave and strong and smart. You are probably the only person who could have saved me.”

“That’s not true.” She sniffed. “Any Healer could have saved you.” And she looked up into his eyes.

He smiled at her and stroked her hair. “But would they? Would they have tried to save a Death Eater?”

“You are not a Death Eater, Draco.” She had lifted her head to better see him, and he brushed the tears from her cheeks.

“I was. And to many – no most - out there, I always will be. But you didn’t think about that, you put your life at risk to save mine.”

“I did what I had to do. I would do it again in a heartbeat, Draco.” Her tears were drying up as she became more serious. “I will do it again if I have to.”

He looked at her for a moment, unsure of how to respond to her declaration. He cupped her face in his left hand. “I want you to stay with me. Stay in here with me tonight.” She didn’t respond, but she lowered her head to his chest and held onto him. After a few minutes, her breathing began to slow, and he felt her relax into a deep sleep.








Author notes: Thanks for reading. Let me know your thoughts.

I'm getting a little discouraged. Although, there have been some lovely reviews. Thank you for that.

Leave a Review