The day of the banquet, Ginny was frantic. She kept redoing her hair and makeup in the morning, even though nothing happened until the night. When she stumbled out of the bathroom, she ran into Draco.

“Sorry,” she mumbled.

“Are you okay?” he asked. “You've been acting weird all morning.”

“I don't know why I'm nervous,” she said, walking into the living room. “I've been to banquets before.”

“Yes,” Draco said, nodding. “But none that Harry Potter was an ex for. You were always on the arm of someone full of such...class.”

Ginny raised an eyebrow. “And now I'll be on your arm. What do you have?”

He smirked, leaning over, and pressed his lips to her cheek. “Oh, much more class and sophistication than him.”

Ginny smiled.

“Besides, you'll look beautiful no matter whose arm you're on,” Draco told her. “And since that lucky guy will be me, you'll have jealous girls everywhere.”

“The jealous girls isn't a new thing, even if I wasn't going with you tonight.”

“No,” Draco said, scratching his chin. “It's fairly common.”

“That's because you're attractive,” Ginny told him. “There are probably people it doesn't happen to. You should count yourself lucky.”

“Like Longbottom or Lovegood?” Draco grinned teasingly.

“You're terrible,” Ginny said, swatting his arm. “They aren't ugly.”

“I've got to give Luna some credit,” Draco muttered, “she's not that bad looking anymore.”

“She never was,” said Ginny defensively. “And what about Neville?”

“I haven't seen him in awhile, so I don't know.”

Ginny snorted. “So, you're saying that if Luna came up to you tonight and asked you to dance, that you would?”

He thought about it for a moment and nodded.

“Even if she looked like Filch?”

Ginny grinned when he looked appalled.

“That's so tempting,” Draco said sarcastically. Then he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close. “But I'd rather spend my night dancing with an alluring redhead than a spacy blonde.”

She grinned at him, her arms going around his neck. “That sounds like a great time. Maybe after we can get pis drunk and you can ravish me.”

Draco raised an eyebrow.

“I'm kidding,” Ginny said, laughing. “Well, not about the drinking part.”

“I think that could be arranged,” Draco said as he sat down. “Will you be okay tonight?”

Ginny smiled. “Sure,” she replied. She twined her fingers with his. “I'll be okay as long as you're near me.”

“I'm not going anywhere,” he replied.

“Good,” she whispered, leaning her head against his shoulder.

**


Draco held onto her waist as they walked into the Ministry. There were people everywhere. As they moved forward, Draco caught sight of someone and stopped dead.

“I'll be damned,” he muttered. Then he shouted, “When did you get back here, Zabini?”

Blaise Zabini, who Ginny hadn't seen in years, turned his head. His smile at seeing his best friend was infectious. He moved away from what was probably his date to greet Draco with a hug.

Then his eyes met Ginny's. “You look radiant.”

Draco grinned. “I know. I used different shampoo in my hair. Thank you for noticing.”

Ginny laughed. “Yes, you look good, Draco. But I think Blaise was talking about me.”

Blaise smirked. “Maybe before the night is through I'll steal you away for a dance.”

“That would be nice,” said Ginny, nodding.

The doors to the hall where the banquet was being held opened. Blaise left Draco and Ginny and returned to his date, who in Ginny's opinion, didn't look too happy that he had abandoned her.

“He was right,” Draco told her as they walked in, “you do look radiant. And I think I have to disagree with his request for a dance. Call me selfish, but I want you at my side all night.”

In other cases, this would be considered charming and sweet, but Ginny knew what he was implying.

“You're just saying that because you don't want me to stalk off and strangle Harry or Pansy.”

He smiled thinly. “As enjoyable as that would be to see, you wouldn't want to cause a scene, would you?”

“Not especially,” Ginny said. “Besides, my family will be here soon. I wouldn't want to embarrass them in front of everyone.”

“Smart thinking,” Draco replied, scanning the room as they went further in. He settled for standing by one of the long tables.

Just as Ginny opened her mouth to speak, she felt something jab her in the back. She winced, straightened up, and turned around.

Pansy stood there, a glass of wine in her hand.

“Oh, excuse me,” she said sweetly. “I didn't see you there. I was just getting some food for me and my boyfriend. You know him, don't you? Harry Potter.”

Ginny shook her head. “You're pathetic, you know that? This is a public event.”

Pansy frowned and took a sip of wine. “What better way to ruin you?” She smirked and before anyone could stop her, tossed the rest of her drink into the redhead's face.

Ginny wiped the wine from her face. “You bitch,” she said quietly. “What the hell are you even mad about? You have him, so leave us alone.”

“Us?” said a voice. Harry came from behind Pansy. “So there's an us now?”

“I wouldn't get involved in this, Potter.” Draco stepped in between the two woman and placed his hands out. “It's not like she doesn't want to rip you to shreds either. Pansy's just an easier target.”

Harry looked at him, fire burning in his eyes. “Thanks,” he said quickly, “but I don't need your help. You've done enough.”

“It appears I've done more than enough to keep your ex girlfriend satisfied,” Draco responded, smirking.

As he turned to walk away, Harry took that opportunity to punch him in the jaw.

Draco stumbled back, his hand going to his face, eyes watery.

“What the fuck?” he shouted.

His outburst had quieted the room. He looked around at the people looking back at him - some of them had their hands over their mouths, while some were murmuring to each other.

“I've wanted to do that for years,” Harry said, lowering his hand.

Ginny had her hands on Draco's face, her fingers prodding the fast-growing bruise. She let him go and turned on Harry.

“You're a real bastard,” she told him through gritted teeth. “He didn't say anything you didn't deserve.”

Harry frowned at her, took Pansy's hand, and left. They disappeared through the crowd of onlookers, who were now too busy to see the aftermath.

“Ginny!” It was Molly. She came forward and practically tore her daughter away. “What are you doing here? Why aren't you with Harry?”

“Don't you see what's going on?” George asked. “Harry obviously cheated on Ginny, so now he's with that slutty girl who looks like a dog, and Ginny's with Malfoy.”

Ginny looked at him and swallowed.

“Is that true?” Arthur asked. “You could have told us.”

“I didn't know how,” said Ginny. She stepped away from them and went back to Draco. He was sitting on the floor, holding his jaw. “Are you okay?” she asked him.

He looked at her and shook his head. “I didn't think he had it in him. Goddamn, this hurts.”

Ginny smiled, pressed her forehead against his, and took his hand.

“I think you need a drink,” she whispered. “Just not here.”

None of the Weasleys said anything as they disappeared.

They apparated to the flat. As soon as Draco's feet hit the floor, he crumbled onto the couch and let out a growl.

“I shouldn't have let him do that.”

Ginny, who had reappeared holding a washcloth, sat beside him. “You couldn't have stopped him. Once Harry's got his mind set on something, more often than not, he gets what he wants.”

When she pressed the warm cloth to his jaw, he winced. “So, he wanted to cheat on you, then? And he wanted to ruin this important night for everyone? That's pretty fucking rude.”

Ginny sighed. “It's a shame, really. We could have been good together. My family loved him so much, too.”

Draco closed his eyes. “Can I have that drink now?”

“Okay,” Ginny said softly.

She went into the kitchen to try and find something, but came up shorthanded. She leaned against the counter and put her face in her hands. She wanted to cry, because everything was spinning out of control, and it was frustrating.

“I couldn't find anything!” she called. “Do you want to go to a bar?”

She shut her eyes and tried to make the tension headache she felt go away. Suddenly, a pair of hands touched her face.

“I'm sorry,” Draco said gently. “I'm not being fair to you.”

Ginny opened her eyes and looked into his grey ones. “Did you want to go back?” she asked.

She almost hoped he said no.

“This night was important to so many people,” he said, taking her hand. He used his wand to heal the bruise on his face. “I owe them.”

So they went back. By the time they got there, it was like nothing from before had happened. No one paid them any mind as they talked to each other, and even when Draco left to talk to Blaise, he kept an eye on Ginny. She talked with George, away from their parents.

“I'm sorry,” Ginny said. “I just didn't know how to tell them. I shouldn't have made you say anything.”

“You didn't make me say anything. I would have helped you out, no matter what. I'm just surprised that you didn't talk to Bill or Charlie about it first.”

Ginny shrugged. “I didn't want them to track Harry down and threaten him or something.”

George smirked. “That's what Fred and I would have done, not them.”

Silence fell between them, but it was short-lived.

“Hey, where's Percy?”

“I don't know,” George said. “Mum hadn't heard back from him. Speaking of siblings, have you heard from Ron?”

Ginny shook her head.

“I guess it's just as well,” he said. “He wouldn't be too happy about what's been going on lately. Harry is his best friend after all.”

“Or was. I don't think they've talked for awhile. Besides, it's not Ron Harry has to worry about. You're forgetting about Hermione.”

George let out a groan. “Oh yeah. Harry should be counting his luck that she isn't here. He thinks your temper is bad? She's terrible.”

Ginny opened her mouth, but quickly closed it, unsure of what to say. Someone cleared their throat behind her. She turned, expecting to see Draco.

“You look great.”

Ginny's eyes filled with tears and she hugged him tightly.

“I didn't think you were even going to come,” she said.

Neville Longbottom grinned at her. When a woman with blonde hair came to his side and grabbed his hand, Ginny screamed.

“Luna!” she cried happily. “I didn't know you two were together. That's great.”

“Hi,” Luna said, smiling. She wore a soft yellow dress and had her hair up. She looked behind her shoulder. “We saw what happened when you came in with that guy. Who is it?”

“Draco Malfoy,” Neville said.

“Oh,” Luna muttered. Well, he looks nice, doesn't he?” She looked at Ginny. “Were they fighting over you?”

“It's a long story,” Ginny said.

“I've got time,” Luna told her.

“Actually,” Neville interrupted, “Gin, would you like to dance?”

Luna was about to say something before George took her hand. “Care to cut a rug, Loony?”

“You're so charming,” mumbled Ginny, glaring at her brother. She took Neville's hand.

While Ginny danced with Neville, she watched Draco from behind his left shoulder. He stared at her, tipped his champagne flute at her and smirked. She knew what that meant all too well.

“I'm thinking about asking Luna to marry me,” Neville said as he twirled her.

“That's wonderful,” replied Ginny.

He smiled. “So, out with it. What's going on?”

So she told him everything.

**


Draco watched Longbottom dance with Ginny. He had offers all night to go home with countless girls, but he declined every time. He didn't want them, he knew that. He knew exactly who he wanted.

“Why don't you cut in?” Blaise hissed, nudging him in the ribs. “She's your date.”

Draco smiled. “I thought you were going to steal her?”

Blaise shook his head. “That would be impolite.”

Draco sighed, drained his glass, and walked forward. He tapped Neville on the shoulder and after a few words took Ginny in his arms.

“You are quite the dancer,” Ginny commented.

They moved together, and as they turned, Ginny saw Harry coming toward them. He ripped Ginny from Draco and dragged her outside, where he pushed her against the wall of the building, his eyes intense.

Then his lips crashed down on hers.
Leave a Review