They never talked about that day. He wondered if she even remembered. It seemed so long ago. But it was less than half a year since it happened. He sighed into the back of her neck and ran his fingers along her side. She squirmed, but didn't wake up. In the darkness, he whispered that he loved her and closed his eyes.

When he woke up, it was to the smell of food. “You're cooking?” he said, looking over into the kitchen. “Either the world must be coming to an end, or you're an alien imposter, because my Ginny has never touched a pan for as long as I've known her.”

Ginny, a smudge of flour on her cheek, looked at him. She didn't say anything, just continued to stare, her eyes bright.

“What?” he asked, standing. “Gin, say something. You're freaking me out.”

“You just continue to surprise me, that's all,” she said, smiling. “I mean, I know you try to be tough, but when it comes down to it, you're as sweet as I imagined you'd be.”

He raised an eyebrow. “You thought about how I'd be before?”

“Do you remember when we first saw each other again?” she asked, coming over to him and hugging him. Her face was pressed against his chest as she said, “It seemed so long ago.”

“I was just thinking about that last night,” Draco murmured, running his fingers through her hair. “I wasn't sure you even remembered that.”

“Of course I did,” said Ginny, sighing. “It was around the time Harry started acting weird.”

“Is it?” he asked. “I wouldn't have guessed. When I saw you, Potter seemed so normal.” He laughed at his own words. “You two looked like you were actually-”

“In love?” Ginny offered. “I was. I don't know about him.”

Draco nodded and kissed her forehead. “Do you believe that I don't love you?” he whispered.

Ginny looked up at him, her eyes searching his. She pulled his face down to hers and kissed him softly. “I know you do.”

He smirked. “Good. Because I'm going to keep proving that to you. You're going to get sick of me soon enough, Red.”

She wrapped her arms around his neck, smiling. “I haven't yet,” she told him. “Besides, you love having one up on Harry, don't you? Even after all these years.”

Despite her tone, Draco couldn't help but smirk.

“I went to see Pansy last night.”

Ginny looked at him. “Did you? I woke up in the middle of the night and wondered where you'd gone. What did you go there for?”

“I wanted to see the letter she got,” he said, running a hand down his face. “And I think I figured out who wrote it.”

“You what?” Ginny's eyes widened. “But I thought I-”

Draco rolled his eyes. “Please. You don't have a vicious bone in your body.” He smiled and brushed his lips across hers.

“I don't know,” she said quietly. “Maybe I do.” She reached up and ruffled his hair.

He scowled, and she stuck her tongue out at him.

“That's not nice,” he said, taking her hand and lacing their fingers together. He pulled her into the living room and settled on the couch, running his fingers down her arm.

“So, who do you think wrote the letter, if it's wasn't me?” asked Ginny, tilting her chin up to look at him.

He stared at her, his grey eyes intense. “I think it was Daphne.”

“Daphne Greengrass?” muttered Ginny. She tied her hair up and leaned forward. As he traced circles on her back with his finger, she said, “Why would she do that? I don't understand.”

“I'm not sure yet,” Draco said, sighing. “I've only seen her a handful of times since you and I ran into each other.”

“What did she say to you outside the shop when you saw me?” Ginny asked, glancing over her shoulder at him.

He raised an eyebrow. “You saw that?”

She shrugged. “I'd been watching you for awhile before you turned around. She may have seen me staring.”

“Do you think she's been plotting something?” he asked. Then he laughed. “That sounds ridiculous. She wouldn't do anything stupid.”

Ginny wasn't so sure. But before she could reply, there was a knock on the door. They looked at either other before Draco stood up and answered it. He returned with Blaise, who looked like he'd been up for hours.

“Hello,” Ginny said, nodded. “You look awful. Are you alright?”

Blaise snorted. “You're as lovely as ever, pet. As it happens, I haven't slept for some time. But that's because I have this annoying itch.” He smirked and turned to Draco. “Daphne's been up my ass about something. She's been following me around, too.”

Ginny glanced at Blaise and said, “Daphne was the one who wrote the letter.”

Blaise scratched his chin. “Is that right? I wonder why the hell she would do that. Maybe she wanted to cause a rift in your relationships.”

Ginny squinted at him. “What do you know?”

He shook his head. “I don't think you want to know.”

“I do,” Draco said, his voice chipped. “If this bitch is trying to ruin my relationship with the girl I love.”

Ginny blushed.

Blaise smirked. “That's adorable. Really, it is. But I've already said too much. Daphne will be waiting to kick my ass when I get home.”

Draco raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean by that?” His eyes widened. “Oh, no. Please don't tell me that you're not? Ugh. You are, aren't you?”

Blaise shrugged. “What do you expect? Daphne's hot.”

Draco groaned.

Ginny shook her head. “Not that we needed to know any of that, but do you think she suspects you've told us?”

Blaise ran a hand through his hair. “I have no idea. But I suppose she wouldn't think I'd tattle on her.” His eyes fell toward the kitchen and he said, “Have you got any tea?”

Draco and Ginny exchanged glances.

It was going to be a long day.
Leave a Review