“You must feel incredibly inadequate,” Draco said, smirking. “I mean, what, with your ex girlfriend seeing someone who, compared to you, can actually satisfy her. It must be terrible to be you.”

Harry bristled, took a sip of champagne and said, “You're a real git, you know?”

Draco smiled. Then his eyes flickered with disgust. “What were you doing watching us? Oh, I get it. You get off on this sort of shit, don't you? Of course you would, seeing as you have no one to constantly cheat on anymore.”

“Shut up,” Harry said, shaking his head. “I came up to tell Ginny that I've spoken with Ron. He also mentioned you joined him for lunch.” He looked pointedly at Draco.

“What's your point?” Draco and Ginny said in unison.

“What did you tell him?” Harry asked, glaring at Ginny. “He's pissed and won't talk to me.” He finished his drink, put the glass on the nightstand, and advanced on her. He gripped her wrist.

“I told him the truth,” she said, gritting her teeth. “Now let me go.”

Before Harry could, Draco grabbed him by the back of the neck. He pulled the man away from his girlfriend and sneered.

“You'll get away from her if you know what's good for you, Potter. Right fucking now.”

Harry withdrew his wand and shot a spell right into Draco's chest. He slammed back onto the floor, and as Harry went to kick him in the ribs, Ginny intervened.

“Stop!” she shouted, grabbing Harry's arm.

He glared at her and shoved her into the wall. She slipped to the floor and didn't move again.

As Harry turned his head back around, Draco's fist collided with his face. Blood spurted out of his mouth and dripped onto the white part of his tuxedo.

“If you hurt her I'll kill you.”

Harry tackled him. He rammed Draco's back into the door frame and he let out a growl as pain shot through his spine. Then Harry punched him in the face, and his world went black.

Opening his eyes, his face aching, Draco didn't see Harry. But he did see Ginny – she was lying several feet from him, unmoving, her red hair fanned out around her. Panic seized him, but when she coughed, he relaxed.

She looked at him, her eyes widening. “Oh my God,” she whispered, her voice tight. She crawled over to him, wincing all the way, and wrapped her hand around his. “God, are you okay?”

Now she was crying.

He touched her face and his hand ached under her skin. “I'm okay, for the most part.” He wiped the tears from her eyes. “Hey, it's okay. That whole thing was a long time coming.”

Footsteps sounded as someone entered the room. “Oh shit,” they hissed. “Are you two alright?”

The person touched Draco's shoulder and he bit his tongue. I guess he did more damage than I thought. “That hurts,” he snarled. “You should take a class in sensitivity training.”

Blaise smirked down at him, while Pansy came around him and helped Ginny stand. She let out a cry and leaned against her friend, who brought her into the bathroom and turned on the shower.

“Potter looks like he was hit in the face with a bat.”

“Trust me,” Draco ground out, “if I could have used a bat to knock a few teeth out, I would have.”

“Malfoy, are you alright?” Neville had entered the room and looked around. “Harry's bloodied up good downstairs.”

Draco shook his head. “I'm okay, Longbottom. Sorry we ruined your party.” He laughed weakly, because it hurt.

Neville bent down and moved Draco's hair from his face. “He did a number on your jaw, mate,” he said. “I'll clear that up, if you want.”

“Then how would anyone know he got into a brawl?” Blaise interjected, frowning. “Leave it. It makes him look tough.”

“I don't want to look tough,” argued Draco. “I just want Harry Potter to pay for all the shit he's done.”

“Well he paid for it now,” Blaise said, helping Draco stand. He looked toward the bathroom. “Pansy will take care of her. Come on. I'll get you a drink.”

Draco nodded, then looked at Neville. “How come he didn't just leave?” he asked.

“No idea.” Neville shrugged. “He's probably showing off the bruises to all the women.”

“Daphne would have loved that,” Blaise said. He shook his head. “Oi, where's Luna?”

“Downstairs,” Neville said, frowning. “I think she was afraid to come up and see you both. Nothing like this has ever happened at one of our parties before.”

“She could come up,” Ginny said as she limped out of the bathroom. She rubbed her back. “I twisted my ankle, but I can fix it. All of this is fixable.

“You're awfully calm,” murmured Draco. “You could have been seriously hurt.”

“Yes,” Ginny said, nodding. “And you could have to.”

Blaise returned with two glasses of clear liquid. He handed one to Draco, the other to Ginny.

“When did you even leave?” Draco asked, taking the glass and looking around. “And what is this?”

“Just drink it,” Blaise said, smirking.

Ginny sipped first, her face screwed up. She coughed. “This is vodka!” she shouted. “Ugh, why are you feeding us this?”

“Because it's a party.” Blaise offered. “When people have a shitty time, they normally drink to get over it.” He smirked. “You, my dear friends, have had one fuck of a time.”

Ginny saw his point, so she drank. Having not eaten yet, the alcohol went straight to her head. She sat on the bed and laid back. Blaise sat beside her, leaning over.

His fingers traced her jaw and he smiled when Draco stiffened. “Relax, mate. I'm not going to do anything.”

Draco slipped onto the bed and pulled Ginny's head into his lap, stroking her hair. He held his still-full glass, then placed it on the nightstand. “We'll be okay,” he told her. “He won't come after us again.”

“How do you know?” Ginny asked.

His eyes darkened. “I just do.”
Leave a Review