Once, there was a lonely boy who had an evil father. All the boy wanted was to find someone to connect with, and when he was seventeen, he did just that. The girl, however, never knew how he felt when he was with her. The meeting had been an accident, really. Or so he liked to tell himself.

As Draco woke to a blanket of white outside his window, he sighed. This wasn’t exactly how he’d wanted to spend his school day, but he didn’t have a choice. He hated the snow. He hated walking through it, he hated snowball fights, and most of all he hated the way the snow seemed to bring out the romantic sides of every person in the castle.

Every person but him, that is.

It was just snow, nothing special.

At least he didn’t think so.

He dressed quickly and left his room. He could hear voices in the common room before he even reached it.  He heard a  shrill female voice and groaned.

Pansy was on the warpath today, he gathered, as he saw her. She was yelling at someone, her eyes narrowed, lips drawn back into a snarl.

“Rough day already?” Draco asked.

“Oh, shut up,” Pansy snapped, glaring at him. “It’s Blaise’s fault.”

“What did he do?” Draco said, sitting on the couch.

“He made me late for class. I got a detention.”

Draco smirked, put a hand over his heart and pretended to look shocked. “Oh, that’s such a travesty. What, were you too busy screwing my best friend to notice the time?”

Pansy had the nerve to look pleased with herself.

“So, you had sex, were late for class and got reprimanded, so that’s his fault? What about you?”

Pansy scowled. “Never mind about me.  Why are you just getting out of bed? It’s almost noon. So you missed classes too.”

“The snow,” Draco muttered.

Pansy arched a perfect eyebrow. “Did the snow  block you in your room? Clearly not. So, why didn’t you go to class?”

“I didn’t feel like it,”  he said. “I’m entitled to that once in a while, aren’t I?”

“Sometimes,” Pansy told him.

He didn’t say anything more, just left the common room and went out into the hall. He was suddenly hungry. As he made his way to The Great Hall, he passed by one of the windows, and merely gazed out it. But something stopped him in his tracks.

There was something gold and red on in the snow.  It was moving fast, almost twirling. It took him a moment to realize it was a person, but not just any person.

It was a Weasley, and judging from the height and slim figure, it was the youngest. The girl, Draco thought to himself. What was her name again?

Geanie? No, that didn’t sound right.

“What are you looking at?” Blaise asked as he came up behind  his friend.

“That girl out there -the girl Weasley-what’s her name?”

“Really?” Blaise said, staring at him. “You’ve gone to school with her for how long and you don’t know her first name?”

“Do you?” Draco snapped.

“It’s Ginny,” he said, rolling his eyes. “Surely you’ve heard someone call her that before.”

“No,” replied Draco, still gazing out the window.

He wasn’t really paying attention. He was too entranced by the way the girl moved in the snow, her red hair like fire against the white.

Something about her was so enticing.

“Why are you staring at a Weasley, Malfoy?”

“I’m not staring at her,” he shot back. “I’m staring at the other people.”

Blaise frowned and looked through the glass. “But there isn’t anyone else near her.” He looked at his friend. “What are you doing? Are you that lonely?”

Draco scoffed. “I’m not lonely, Zabini. Would you go away now?”

“Have you ever talked to her before? That’s a dumb question considering you didn’t even know her name to begin with.”

Draco shook his head. “Why would I bother talking to someone like her? You know I have a reputation, and it can’t be tarnished by my association with a Weasley.”


He blinked at her, watched her face for any sort of emotion. She was now sitting up, looking at him intently, and actually listening to what he had to say. He took a breath.

“Is that it?” she asked. “Because that doesn’t exactly have you coming off as Prince Charming, you know.”

“Of course not. You should remember what happened next.”

She did.

She pulled her golden cloak tighter around her body. She had seen the looks people had given her when she wore it – like she was too good to own something that nice. But what people didn’t know was that it was a present, from an anonymous source. It had been left in front of The Fat Lady.

Gazing back at the castle, Ginny watched the doors open. She watched someone come out, someone clad in a dark green cloak, their white-blond hair blowing in the wind.

Draco Malfoy was outside and he was coming toward her.

“What are you doing?” Ginny shouted, putting her hand up. “Stop right there.”

“What’s your problem?” Draco called out as he got closer. “I’m just walking,” he snapped.

Ginny froze, her fingers around her wand. He wasn’t threatening her, hadn’t come to hex her or anything like she thought. So what did he want?

“What do you want?” she asked when he was within earshot.

“Why do you think I’m here to talk to you?” he asked, sounding bored.

Ginny blinked. “There’s no one else around.”

“So there isn’t,” replied Draco, smirking. “What are you doing out here all alone? Don’t you have studying to do?”

“Don’t you?” Ginny shot back. Then she frowned. “Why aren’t you in class?”

“I didn’t feel like going,” he told her. “Is there anything wrong with that?”

“No,” she told him. “I skipped out too, and you caught me. You're not going to tell on me, are you?”

She glanced at him, her lips twitching slightly.

“I don't have the authority to do so,” he told her. He'd declined the Head Boy offer, but now wasn't sure why. He could have had so much power with it, and could put people in their place.

That was something his father would say.

He didn't want to be like that.

The only person who wanted to be like Lucius Malfoy was Lucius Malfoy.

He shook his head, willing away those thoughts and said, “I would be risking my own neck if I told on you, Red.”

Then he smiled.

Author notes: So Draco is capable of being nice :) I hope this didn't confuse anyone.

Leave a Review