11

"Yes."

He paused. "Yes?"

She laughed. "You expected me to say no?"

"I expected you to say, 'Yes, when we're older,' or 'Let's get my family's approval first.'" His grin threatened to split his face. "Not that I'm protesting, mind you."

The redhead shrugged, trying to make the gesture seem nonchalant. "We might not have later. And what's the use of waiting?" A mischievous grin flickered across her face. "It's not like you'll get me to change my mind."

•           •           •

 

The fireplace roared in the upper sitting room (the one for family, not for guests. Ginny was pleasantly shocked that Mrs. Malfoy had offered it to them). She leaned against Draco as he ran his fingers through her hair.

"You're amazing, you know that?" he whispered. She made a noise of contentment and snuggled closer.

He chuckled and it echoed in his chest. "I never imagined Mother would tolerate you, let alone give her blessing!"

Ginny turned sideways to look him in the eye. "That's vaguely insulting, you know."

Draco smirked. "Insulting to her, yes. I should've had more faith in her ability to recognize quality. I mean, she raised me, after all."

Ginny shook her head good-naturedly. He really was something. But she remembered a thought that she'd been curious about for a while, now. "Draco, what happened when you refused the Mark?"

His smile turned somber as he ran his fingers through her hair. "You and Blaise snuck me out of Hogwarts, all the way back to your Burrow."

"Bet my family loved that," she murmured.

"Of course," he replied sarcastically. "Your brothers only tried to kill me four times in the first night. You chose not to let them know I was coming, by the way."

She turned her face up towards his. "How in the world did I convince them to keep you?"

"You'd been open in your letters to Charlie, at least, and thankfully he was there to help persuade everyone that I wasn't completely evil. It only worked because the twins were living at their shop and Ron was off Horcrux hunting. None of the other Weasleys had personal history with me.

"You had to trust me to Charlie's care, though, so that you could get back to Hogwarts. The whole idea of using the Burrow was that no one knew to suspect it. Both our covers would be blown if you 'coincidentally' also missed school the next day." He chuckled dryly. "I grew to really appreciate Charlie."

Ginny couldn't help it; she started laughing and couldn't stop.

Draco frowned. "What?"

She snorted. "Charlie does know how to handle dragons!"

He rolled his eyes. "Dear Merlin, tell me I don't have to go through your horrible jokes again. They were bad enough the first time."

She held her giggles back with effort. "But the opportunity's just so perfect!"

"Know what else this opportunity's perfect for?" he asked lightly.

"What?"

He moved closer, head only inches away. "Kissing you quiet."

•           •           •

 

Narcissa watched the two leaning comfortably against each other in front of the fireplace. If Draco caught her peeking through the door he'd never forgive her. But she just couldn't resist, and besides, it was a mother's job to be nosy.

She hadn't picked up on it earlier, but now she understood. The little Weasley could be covered in rags and grime and Draco would still love her. She was attractive, but wasn't about looks. She was proper enough to blend into society (with Narcissa's help), yet never would be about climbing the social ladder. Seeing the warmth on her son's normally icy countenance, Narcissa knew. The Weasley was life, was fire. And it was contagious for her son.

He was simply sitting next to the girl, but she hadn't seen him so openly happy in years. Draco leaned in to kiss the redhead and Narcissa knew that was her cue to leave.

•           •           •

 

Ginny threw her leg over the broom, familiarity overwhelming her as the handle lined up perfectly against the callouses in her palms.

"You kept my broom this whole time?" she asked quietly.

Draco nodded. "I knew you'd prefer your old Cleansweep, even if it is too ancient for a museum."

The Malfoys apparently had their own regulation-sized Quidditch pitch on their grounds and Draco was as enamored with night-flying as she was. Also, to already be getting possible recruitment letters meant she must've been damn good and she was dying to see if it was still the case.

Draco watched her, one hand resting lightly on his own Zephyr. Ginny gripped her broom, feeling the thrum of its magic waiting to be released.

Draco frowned. "Are you sure you're ready—"

Ginny leapt off the ground, corkscrewing up into the sky. Draco swore and shot after her. She perched up in the air, waiting for him.

"That was a brilliant Polskov Maneuver!" His face twisted in confusion. "Was it on purpose?"

She shrugged. "Isn't that how I always take off?"

He started to reply, then stopped. "Yes, I believe it actually is. Showoff."

Watching Draco soar over her, Ginny's heart thumped in her chest. So this is how it felt to fall in love. Ginny didn't understand this man completely, not by a long shot—she doubted anyone really did. But she couldn't wait to begin figuring him out all over again.

"You know, back there with my mother," Draco swooped down to fly alongside her. "it sounded strangely like you weren't against the idea of becoming a Malfoy."

A mischievous smile lit her face. "Did it? What on earth could I have meant by that?"

He cleared his throat. "So, Ginny. What are your feelings on eloping? Hypothetically speaking."

She giggled. "Our mums will kill us."

He shrugged. "Only if we tell them beforehand. My mother would also kill me if she isn't allowed to spend an exorbitant amount of money on the grandest ceremony the Wizarding World has ever seen." He paused. "So, was that a hypothetical 'yes'?"

Ginny grinned. "Only if we fly there. Race you!"

The End

 

The End.
HalfBloodDragon is the author of 1 other stories.

Leave a Review