Chapter 1: If Ever a Day Was Perfect

Approx. Four Months Earlier
September 1, 1997


Ginny Weasley smiled a wide smile into the full-length mirror as she adjusted the new beige corduroy skirt she had just bought last week. She smiled at her appearance. She had allowed her long ginger hair to grow out during the summer, and it now fell down her back in waves. It seemed as if this past summer she had finally grown into her figure.

She smiled happily at the thought as she adjusted her black halter-top before slipping on a denim jacket. Pulling out an elastic band, she pulled her hair back into a ponytail before slipping out of the bathroom to gather any last minute things she would need for the new school year.

“Ginny! What’s taking you so long? We have to go! Harry and Hermione are meeting us at King’s Cross,” Ron bellowed from downstairs. Though the loud complaint of her taking too long to get ready was meant to get her to hurry up, Ginny merely rolled her eyes as she took one last glance at her reflection in the mirror over the dresser in her bedroom. She smiled at the reflection. This year was going to be different from previous years, she could feel it.

After a few more minutes of checking around the room to make sure she hadn’t forgotten anything, she grabbed her wand and used it to levitate her bags down the stairs just in time for Ron to call her again. “Listen, Ron, I know you’re just dying to get to the station to drool all over Hermione and spend another year attempting in vain to confess your undying love for her, but I needed to make sure I had everything and that I looked alright. Now, if you’re done pouting over the fact that I just called you on your feelings for one Miss Granger, can we go?”

“Number one, I am not pouting over you calling me on anything because, number two, I do not have feelings for Hermione.” Ron’s face seemed to be slowly growing redder than his hair. Whether it be from anger, embarrassment or frustration, Ginny couldn’t tell. Then again, she didn’t really care.

“Number one, yes, you are because, number two, yes, you do.” Ginny quickly replied and without giving another thought to the matter turned to walk to the fireplace. Her parents had already arranged for them all to be able to floo straight to King’s Cross, so all that was left was to hop in and go.

It seemed, however, that the moment Ginny turned to walk away was the moment that Ron actually took a moment to look at his baby sister. It wasn’t but a few moments after his eyes looked at her outfit that his voice could have been heard from The Burrow clear to Privet Drive. “GINEVRA WEASLEY, WHAT THE BLOODY HELL ARE YOU WEARING?”

Ginny, however loud her brother was yelling, didn’t even flinch. “Clothes, Ron. I’m wearing clothes.”

“There’s hardly enough fabric to be considered clothing!”

Ginny rolled her eyes as she turned to look at her older brother who, while taller, bigger and stronger than herself, didn’t scare her in the slightest. “I’m wearing a jacket that covers my arms, cleavage on this top is practically non-existent, and my stomach is not showing, what may I ask is uncovered?”

“Put pants or something on, Ginny. We’re not leaving here until you do!”

“You know it’s funny,” Ginny spoke as she tilted her head to the side, as if studying her brother, “I don’t ever remember you magically becoming Arthur or Molly Weasley. So, I’m sorry if I won’t follow your orders as you are not either of my parents. Now, we really are running a tad late.”

It was at that moment that both of her parents seemed to bustle into the room, tears brimming from the corners of Molly Weasley’s eyes. “Oh my! This is the last time we’ll be sending a son off to Hogwarts. My, my, time has just positively flown.” She chose then to pull her son into a death grip hug. “Oh, Ronald, you make your father and I so proud!”

“Funny how you weren’t saying that when he crashed the car into the Whomping Willow,” Ginny murmured under her breath. Neither of her parents had heard her, but if she judged by the glare he was now giving her, Ron had.

“Now, Molly dear, you don’t want to strangle him before he starts his final year. They’re already late enough as it is.” Arthur Weasley smiled to his wife as he touched her shoulder in an effort to comfort her. She always seemed to be emotional this time of the year, especially if one of their children was going into their seventh year.

Sniffling she nodded as she let go of her youngest son and moved instead to give her only daughter a big hug. “Now, Ginny dear, if you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to owl.”

Ginny smiled at her mum in an attempt to please her. “I know mum.” She gave each of her parents a quick kiss before moving to the floo. “Now, are you coming with us or are Ron and I on our own from here on?”

“Your mother and I think that you are both capable of getting yourself on the train. Just, go straight there, alright?” Arthur looked at both of his children. Though he was smiling and proud of the both of them, it was clear in his eyes that he meant it as he told them to not take any sudden detours. Each of his children nodded in understanding.

The two parents and two children made their way to the fireplace before they said their last goodbyes. It seemed that all was set for the youngest two of the group to make their way back to school before Ron froze in his spot looking at his sister once more before turning back to his parents. “Wait! You mean, you two are just going to let her leave, looking like… wearing… that?”

Ginny rolled her eyes again as she muttered something sounding like “Honestly, Ron.” Her parents looked at each other quizzically before looking at Ginny and back at their son. Molly was the one to speak as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “I don’t see anything wrong with what she’s wearing? I actually think it’s quite nice that she would dress up for the train ride back to school.”

Ginny had to stifle her laughter as she saw the look on her brother’s face. “But her skirt!”

“What about it, dear?” Molly still seemed confused on the matter as she looked at her daughters skirt that ended somewhere between mid-thigh and her knees.

“You can see her knees!”

It seemed that everyone in the room thought he was joking until he didn’t laugh. No, instead he stared wide-eyed at both his parents. As if he was honestly appalled by what they were allowing their only daughter to leave the house in. “Oh honestly, Ronald!” Molly spoke again. “Did you time travel back to the 1800s this summer and I not know it? Your father and I appreciate you being protective of your sister but really, Ron, this is a bit much, don’t you think?” Molly rolled her eyes at her son.

Ron opened his mouth a few more times before shutting it and walking towards where the floo powder was set out. Picking a fist full out, he called out “King’s Cross” before stepping into the flames.

Ginny merely rolled her eyes again before giving each of her parents one last hug and kiss before following the same actions her brother had taken. It didn’t take her long before she caught up to her brother and his friends who had, over the past two years, become hers as well. She smiled as she hugged Hermione, the sister she had never really had, and congratulated her at seeing the Head Girl badge pinned to her robes.

Quickly they all boarded the train, and found a compartment as they recounted each of their summers. She smiled as she looked around to all in her compartment. Her poor excuse for a brother, to Hermione, then to the famous Harry Potter, to Luna Lovegood, and finally to Neville Longbottom. It seemed that they had somehow formed a bond two years ago, at the end of her fourth year when they had journeyed into the Department of Mysteries at the Ministry of Magic.

She sighed as her mind drifted to the one subject they all seemed to avoid. The war. No one seemed to talk about it more than was necessary. It was raging, and they all knew that the final battle would be upon them soon. Ginny knew that Harry had taken up lessons with both Snape and Dumbledore at Grimmauld Place during the past summer after his brief stint on Privet Drive. Yet, it was something that was never once mentioned during their long train ride to the place they called home for the better part of the year.

Allowing her mind to rejoin the conversation her friends seemed to be enjoying, she laughed at another one of the many insane notions Luna had gotten into her head. Letting out another chuckle, she began to recount her brother’s anxiety attack over her choice of outfit for the day. It was good for a laugh and somehow became even more hilarious as Ron’s face once again began to turn a remarkable shade of red.

Ginny smiled. It seemed to be the perfect start to what she was hoping to be a perfect year. She could only hope that it would stay this perfect.
Leave a Review