For nearly a month, Ginny avoided the music room. She still took her walks but never in that part of the castle anymore. The thought of meeting Malfoy was just too much to bear. The trouble was, she couldn’t seem to get away from him. When she passed him in the halls, he glared at her with a look that would have certainly caused her death if it could have. It the great hall at mealtimes, if they happened to lock eyes, he gave her one of his nastiest sneers. Once they had nearly collided in the library, when Ginny had a stack of books up to her chin and was laughing at something Hermione was saying. She had rounded a corner and come face to face with him. Draco had said, “ I realize with all those children your mother didn’t have time to teach you about manners, if she even knew about them, Weasel girl, but even a rodent like you should know to watch where they’re going or else someone might squash them.”

Ginny had bridled at that and retorted, “Think you’re big enough to squash me, Ferret boy?”

“Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be responsible for there being one less Weasel in the world.” He replied, eyes glittering with malice.

“It must be sad to be you Malfoy.” She said, “ I can’t imagine being so miserable with myself that I had to resort to trying to intimidate people who dare to be happy around me. And not to be able to think of anything better than to pick on their names…it’s a shame really. You look so intelligent. I guess looks don’t always tell you everything, do they? Even a handsome, rich, academic, star athlete can be a really ignorant prat.”

Draco strode forward and took her by the shoulders. “You stupid little twit, you don’t know half as much as you think you-“

“MALFOY, TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY SISTER!” Ron bellowed as he lunged at Draco from the doorway of the library. Draco immediately let go of Ginny and readied himself for attack. Fortunately Madame Pince came hurrying around the corner of a shelf and hissed, “Just what is going on?”

Both boys backed away from each other and disaster was averted. For now.

But even the library incident wasn’t the worst of it. The worst of it was that Ginny couldn’t stop dreaming of that kiss. She’d jerk awake in the middle of the night, hot and bothered, touching her lips, remembering how it felt to have Draco’s pressed against them, how it felt to have him touching her, and most disturbing of all, wanting it again.

Ginny began to allow Harry to walk with her to classes and sit with her more often in the Gryffindor common room, playing chess, or talking about this or that. She tried once more to feel something more for him than a sisterly sort of affection, but she knew it was mostly an effort to keep her mind off Draco, and she was very sure that she was careful never to let Harry think it was anything other than friendship. Even though she meant to fight her attraction for Draco, she didn’t have the heart to use Harry, or allow him to think he had a chance with her.

But Draco didn’t know that. She noticed the more she was with Harry when he was close by, he would look at them with narrowed eyes and if he noticed her watching him, he would sneer his famous Draco sneer at her and turn away. It disturbed her to think he was unhappy, but then she wondered why he would be. What had happened in the music room that night had just been a way to humiliate her to him, so why would he care if she were with Harry or not. Other than he hated for Harry to be happy. She decided that must be the case, and forgot it.

As winter approached, the time finally rolled around for the Griffindor/Slytherin quidditch match. Ginny enjoyed quidditch, it helped her work out her frustrations. This match had the prospect of working out several different ones. As she suited up in her chaser gear, she thought of all the things that made her want to scream. Harry still trying to convince her to go out with him, Ron and Hermione on her back to go out with Harry, her struggles in arithmancy this year, Professor Snape trying to avoid asking her to be his potions assistant even though she was the best in potions, just because she was Ron’s sister. And not being able to get Draco Malfoy out of her head.

The game was smashing, the score an even 50-50, with Ginny scoring 3 times, when the snitch finally made an appearance. Harry and Draco had both gone for it, smashing into each other and both being knocked off their brooms and hitting the ground rather hard. Madame Hooch and Madame Pomfrey had both rushed out on the field and after both boys assuring them they were alright, Madame Hooch declared Gryffindor the winner when Harry handed over the golden snitch.

Ginny glanced out of the middle of the crowd of Gyffindors around them and noticed Draco over to the side, being thoroughly berated by Lucius Malfoy. ‘Gads,’ she thought, ‘how awful to lose when you parents are watching’. She knew lots of parents came to watch the legendary rivalry game between Gryffindor and Slytherin but she had no idea Draco’s father was here, or that he’d be so harsh on him for losing. For heaven’s sake, the boy had just taken a 100-foot nosedive to the ground. Ginny watched Draco hang his head and willed in her mind for him to look towards her. Almost as if he heard her thoughts, he raised his head and made eye contact with her. She tried to give him a sympathetic smile, and was about to try and move his way when Harry swooped in and grabbed her up. Swinging her around he cried, “Isn’t it grand Gin? We won!”

Laughing she said, “ Yes Harry, its wonderful! Now put me down before you strain your back and Hufflepuff beats us next game because we have no seeker!”

Harry put her down and she stood on her tiptoes trying to spot Draco again, but he seemed to have vanished. Sighing, Ginny allowed Harry to lead her back to the castle to celebrate.

When Ginny noticed Draco’s seat was empty at dinner that evening, she couldn’t stand it anymore. For some reason, it gnawed at her that he was miserable. What a laugh, Draco Malfoy was always miserable. He had to be, the way he treated everyone. Still Ginny remembered the scene she saw with his father after the game, and it tugged at her heart. Ginny left her plate untouched and got up from the table.

“Leaving Gin?” Harry asked. “You didn’t eat, are you well? You didn’t hurt yourself today, did you?”

“No, just tired. I think I’ll go on up. I’m just too tired to eat. You stay and finish Harry.” Ginny said, as Harry began to rise. She smiled reassuringly at him. “Really, I think I’m going to go to bed early tonight. I won’t be good company.”

Ginny went up to her room and pulled the curtains on her bed. As soon as she thought everyone was sleeping, she slipped out and went down to the kitchens. After sweet-talking the house elves to fix her a basket filled with food, she made her way to the music room.

Even before she reached the hall, she could hear the music. Tonight it was angry. Loud and forceful, it made her think of a storm, thunder and lightening crashing all around. She entered silently and stood behind Draco and the piano for several minutes as he played. He seemed to be one with the music, but at the end of the piece, he spoke to her without even turning around, as if he knew she had been there all along.

“What are you doing here Weasel girl?”

Going round the piano, Ginny noted her stool was still there, and she sat down on it and put the basket on top of the piano in front of her.

“I thought you might be hungry, Ferret boy, as you missed dinner.”

“I don’t need you to take care of me Weasley.”

“Heaven forbid, no! I was in the mood to hear piano tonight, I wasn’t hungry at dinner, I am now and thought you might be too.” Despite herself, Ginny smiled at him. She knew he was hurting, and she found herself wondering how often his cruel outbursts were a direct result of being verbally pounded by his father.

As he looked at her with daggers in his eyes, Ginny calmly began to unpack the basket. She sat down and began to eat. “Feel free to starve Malfoy, if its what you want to do. I myself need nourishment. But if you aren’t going to eat, then play for me. Something light and airy would be nice.”

“I don’t do light and airy, Weasley. “Draco snarled while snatching a turkey leg.

“Mmmm, yes, you seem to lean more towards angst, don’t you?” she said, biting into a pear.

“It isn’t angst. Its serious.” Draco said, helping himself to the dressing, straight from the container.

“Serious or not, its awfully sad Draco. I’ve actually caught myself crying over some of it. I hope you weren’t looking.” Said Ginny, pausing to look at him.

“Some of us have more to be sad about than you Weasley.” Mumbled Draco, looking down at his food.

“I saw your father getting on you today after the game Draco. I’m terribly sorry. It wasn’t fair of him to blame it all on you for losing the game.” Ginny said sympathetically.

Draco bristled. “ Listen Weasel girl, I don’t need yours or anyone else’s sympathy. I should have done better. He was right, I am a disgrace to the Malfoy name. But damn it all, I am tired of having to try and live up to someone else’s life. I don’t want to walk in his shoes. I don’t want to cozen to any sub human half muggle self proclaimed lord in the name of pure blood. What sort of a laugh is that? A half muggle is going to save the pure blood of the wizarding world. What a bunch of idiotic garbage. I’m not even sure that thing is human at all anymore, half muggle or pure blood either way. Besides that, his whole concentration is on killing off a stupid boy who he hasn’t even had the power or wits enough to kill when he was an infant. But even so, why can’t I just be who I am, do as I please, and go where I like? I thought the whole idea of having money and a good name was to be able to do as you pleased, but no, I have to be a death eater, I have to do this, I can’t do that, I have to be JUST- LIKE- MY- FATHER.”

Ginny had gotten up during his diatribe and found her way over to the piano bench he sat on. She put her hand on his shoulder and said, “You can be whatever you want Draco. You don’t have to be your father. I’m so sorry that he tries to run your life like that.”

Draco shook her hand off. “ I told you Weasel girl. I don’t need your sympathy. I don’t need anyone. All I need is a piano and people like you to leave me alone.”

“People like me? What do you mean?” Ginny asked, starting to get angry in spite of herself.

“People like you. People who want to tell me that it’s wrong to want to protect pure blood. People who want to tell me how awful I am because I call a mudblood a mudblood. People who want me to smile and treat the muggles like they were equals. You and your family should be ashamed. Your blood is just as pure as mine, yet there you are defending the muggles and mudbloods, ready to let them come in and dilute the magic. People like you who condemn every bad thing I do or say then do the same sort of thing like blackmail me, to get what they want and never even get looked at twice about it. ” Draco looked at her as he ranted and she could see his mind was firmly set.

Ginny considered all he’d said, well yelled, really, at her in the last few minutes. No, he didn’t like muggles or wizards from muggle parents, but didn’t want to be a death eater. He obviously was struggling with how to deal with an overbearing father, and a love of music that said father seemed to disapprove of. And he was right about her. Blackmailing him was hypocritical. Draco Malfoy, despite his best efforts to make everyone believe otherwise, wasn’t all bad.

Ginny looked at Draco levelly and said, “Draco, I don’t agree with everything you just said, but I have come to understand that you aren’t as awful as my brother and his friends think you are. I disagree with your views on muggles and pure blood, but it relieves me greatly to know that you don’t want to kill or torture them. Or Harry.”

“I don’t want to kill anyone. As for muggles and mudbloods, I just want them to go away. “ Draco grinned evilly at her and added. “While I have no intention of killing Harry Potter, I wouldn’t mind torturing him.”

“Um, yes, well, that’s beside the point. “ Ginny said, fighting a grin herself. “What I’m trying to say is, I’d like a truce Ferret boy. I’d like for us to be friends. I like listening to your music, but if you don’t want me here, I’ll stop blackmailing you and stay away. Although, I’d love to be invited to come back and listen.”

Draco narrowed his eyes and glared at her. She thought she’d made a fool of herself by asking for his friendship and fought not to squirm under his gaze. Then he said, “You want to be my friend. Are you kidding Weasel girl? This is some sort of trick right? You brother and your boyfriend Potter put you up to it. You’re all looking for some way to make a laughing stock out of me. “

Ginny snapped and jumped up from her seat beside him. “Ok, never mind. I tried. All I wanted was to maybe give someone a chance I thought they deserved. I was willing to reconsider my opinion of you, yet again Draco Malfoy, and yet again, you have proven to me it was a foolish idea. For your information, I don’t do things because I’ve been put up to them. I am not a dog to be given an order and obey unquestioningly. Furthermore, I wouldn’t ever offer someone my hand in friendship as an ulterior motive to do some harm to them, that’s the sort of thing your father’s death eater friends would do, not me. And last of all HARRY POTTER IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND!”

As she spun about to leave, a sound stopped her. The sound of Draco laughing. She spun back around to face him and asked indignantly, “Are you laughing at me Malfoy?”

He struggled to straighten his face, which Ginny noticed was uncommonly handsome when laughing a real laugh, and said, “I’m sorry Weasel girl, its just rather funny to me that after all the rotten things I’ve said to you in the past, accusing you of being Harry Potter’s girlfriend makes you the most angry. Most of the girls in this school would kill to be in your shoes.”

Ginny relaxed a bit. “He’s not my boyfriend. He’s…well, he’s just another brother to me.”

Draco looked at her unblinking for a moment and said, “I believe you mean that. But someone had better tell him, because he’s obviously nutters for you.”

“I have told him. “ Ginny sighed, “Told him and told him and told him.”

“I wouldn’t give up either, “Draco said, “You’re obviously worth the chase.”

Ginny didn’t quite know how to take that, and there was an uncomfortable moment. Then Draco said, “Come sit. Stay. You brought me food, and I have to admit I was famished. It’s the least I could do.”

“Friends?” Ginny asked tentatively, sitting back down suddenly on the piano bench beside him.

“I’m not convinced it will work, “ Draco replied, “but ok. Lets try this friends thing. Though I have to warn you, I’ve only got experience being friends with buffoons like Crabbe and Goyle. Not exactly good practice for stimulating conversation. And I’ve never been friends with a girl before. They’ve always wanted…other things from me.” He leaned towards her and leered down at her.

She laughed and gave him a shove. “Back off Ferret boy, you're invading my personal space again. Just play.”

Draco grinned his evil grin at her and began to play.
Leave a Review