Ginny stared up at the Tower staircase, wondering at her sanity. She needed to go to Dumbledore, or McGonagall -- anyone! There was a werewolf in the castle, and she was the only one who knew!


Slowly, as quietly as she could, she began to climb the stairs. As she did she cursed the curiosity and anger that had landed her in this position. After Harry, Ron, and Hermione had disappeared that afternoon, she'd spent about fifteen minutes on her bed brooding. It was unfair the way they didn't trust her and kept all the mystery and intrigue for themselves. She'd gotten so angry that she'd gone downstairs determined to find them. On the excuse that she'd forgotten something in the library, she escaped the common room and headed there as a starting point. The trio was not in the library, and Ginny had a close call when Madam Pince almost spotted her. Making it out of the library, she was startled by voices down the corridor. It was Dumbledore, Snape, and McGonagall, discussing their investigation in one of the classrooms. She heard snatches of their conversation filter out.


"I'm sure it isn't," Dumbledore's voice said. "He has my implicit trust, and I cannot see where you're going with this, Severus."


"My point, Headmaster, is that very few people know of the entrance at the Whomping Willow. I know you...favor him, but to be fair we cannot rule out-"


"That's ridiculous, Severus!" McGonagall's voice snapped. "What you're suggesting is contrary to what we know of the man!"


The voices began moving out of whatever room they were in, and Ginny was forced to run as quietly as she could for the stairs, her heart pounding. Once safely downstairs, she pondered what she'd heard.


The entrance at the Whomping Willow? She hadn't known there was a door anywhere around there. It wasn't even close to the castle! How could there be an entrance there? Ginny looked around, wondering where to go next. Harry was very tenacious once he started investigating something, but she had no idea how he accomplished the things he usually did. Well, she wasn't going to let that stop her! There was no way she could investigate the Whomping Willow at that moment. The front doors would be watched, and everyone was supposed to be in the common room. Still, she wasn't ready to go back yet. So she headed downstairs, towards the kitchens. There she finally ran into the Fantastic Trio, all loaded down with cakes, tarts, fudge, and jugs of pumpkin juice. They claimed to have gone to the kitchens for treats so Gryffindor could throw its own Halloween party, and Ginny might have believed them had it not been for the fact that not one of them would look her straight in the eye. It hurt and angered her, but she pretended to swallow their story, determined to do some investigating of her own once everyone had gone to bed.


A resolve easier said than done! The party lasted well after midnight, as the next day was Saturday, and Ginny had eaten a lot once her anger had cooled and more than once had almost nodded off! But the biggest problem had been the trio themselves. They didn't seem a bit tired, even when the clock struck two thirty, and everyone else had finally retired. It was then that she'd gotten the distinct impression that they, too, were waiting for everyone to go to bed -- including her! So she casually yawned and said goodnight, climbing the stairs to the girl's dorm, opening and closing it without going in.


Not many seconds passed before she heard the subtle murmur of their voices, and movement. A moment later she heard the portrait door open and close, followed by silence. They were gone. Ginny headed after them in a flash. Yet no matter how she ran, they eluded her, seeming to have disappeared into thin air! She'd headed for the kitchens again, straining her ears for their voices, but all was silent. She walked through darkened corridors, heading into parts of the castle she had never seen before. But no Harry, no Ron, no Hermione. This was not what she'd had in mind! She had walked for over an hour before she heard the growling.


Ginny stared up at the top of the Tower stairwell where she could just make out the moonlight spilling in through an open door. A sudden gust of cold air made her shiver, and she tugged her sweatshirt down. She couldn't remember what part of the castle she was in. She had just heard a large, growling animal down an opposite corridor and had elected to follow it at a distance before waking one of the professors, so she would be able to tell them where it had gone. As she'd followed it, cringing every time it growled or whuffed, she'd realized that the creature seemed to understand where it was going. It moved with a purposeful gait, and when it sniffed the ground it didn't stop walking. It turned this corner and that with confidence, sometimes not even bothering to look up. It had chilled Ginny to see a wild creature act so...human! Her heart hammered with fear as she stared up at the open door. She could shut it, trap it, and then run for Professor Dumbledore. But she was terrified that it was right on the other side of the door.


Stop it! she scolded herself. If she left now, the creature might escape. Then it could go anywhere it wanted to in the castle. That would put everyone in danger, and she couldn't just run away and let that happen. What if it broke into one of the common rooms? Though this was almost impossible to do magically, would the doors' securities be able to prevent physically forced entrances, especially by powerful beasts? Ginny didn't know, and thinking of Susan made her not want to take the chance. Besides, Harry wouldn't back down from this!


That decided it! Ginny screwed up her courage and began climbing the steps. She was so scared she could hear her own heartbeat, but this only made her more determined. She took a step, then another, until she was almost running towards the door. With each step she took, Ginny found more courage, and moved more quickly, wanting to slam shut the door and run to Dumbledore as fast as she could! She was halfway up the stairs when she heard the creature growl loudly. She froze for a split second, and then ran towards the door. Three steps from it, Ginny reached out to grasp the knob. Just as her fingers closed around it, she heard a strangled cry.


Already in motion, Ginny slammed the door shut before she completely froze.


GRRRROOOWWLLLL!!!!


The creature roared loudly, making her squeal in fright. But then another cry joined the creature's growls -- a human cry! Someone was on the tower with the beast!


For a moment, Ginny simply stared at the door in horror. She had trapped an innocent person up there with the werewolf! What should she do? She couldn't run for help, it might be too late for the victim. What if it was Susan? The thought made Ginny's heart thud with terror. She had to do something! With no other choice, she grasped the doorknob and leapt inside.


She ran past the observation instruments and out into the uncovered part of the landing. Immediately she spotted the werewolf crouched on the ground, its jaws clamped around a boy's throat. Ginny stopped and would have screamed if her voice hadn't deserted her. Then she realized the boy was whimpering and there was no blood. The creature's mouth was on the boy's throat, yes, but its jaws hadn't penetrated the skin. It seemed to be merely holding the boy stationary. The creature's blue left eye was fixed on Ginny, and its growls sounded very threatening.


"Help me!" the boy cried hoarsely. "Please!"


"Draco!" Ginny squealed, recognizing him for the first time. She bounced in panic, not knowing what to do. Then Draco's whimpers turned to gasps of pain, as the creatures jaws finally began to tighten. She saw his mouth open wide in a silent scream of pain, and blood appeared suddenly on his collar.


"Stop!" she screamed, picking up a nearby metal rod and throwing it at the wolf. The rod glanced off the creature's skull, and it dropped Malfoy, instead turning upon her.


GRRROOOOWWLLLLLLLL!!!


Ginny was too terrified to stand and continued to bounce on the balls of her feet. The werewolf was angry now, and Ginny's mind raced as she tried to think of some way to knock it out. She didn't have her wand with her, as she'd left her robes in her room. And as she grabbed a second piece of metal (she didn't pay attention to what it was) she wondered what her parents would say when the school contacted them to inform them that she'd been eaten by a werewolf.


The creature suddenly stood on its hind legs and let out an earsplitting howl.


OOOOOOOOWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!


The volume of the cry stunned her, making her stumble and drop the metal piece. She made a grab for it, and at the same moment the werewolf pounced on her. Its huge paws struck her back, pushing her to the ground. Ginny screamed in terror. She felt her head strike the stone floor, and her left arm bend awkwardly beneath her, elbow cracking as it struck the ground. Her face was pressed hard against the stone, and she could taste blood from where she'd bit her lip. The shooting pain in her arm made her struggles weak, but struggle she did. She had no intention of ending her life the meal of a wild animal!


Crack! The sickening thud of metal on bone met her ears, and the werewolf flew off of Ginny. She rolled over immediately and began to scuttle backwards to get away. That's when she saw Draco, the metal telescope in his hands bent from striking the skull of the creature. He turned to her and held out his hand.


"Come on!" he yelled, dropping the telescope and moving towards her. Ginny didn't hesitate. She grabbed his hand and pulled herself up, ignoring the pain in her arm. Malfoy stumbled weakly from pain and fear, and instinctively Ginny grabbed him around the waist and propelled him towards the exit. The wolf was wobbling on all fours, stunned, but it would recover soon enough. Ginny didn't look behind her, she just kept her eyes focused on the door. Once they reached it, she tossed Malfoy through and grabbed the knob, slamming and locking the door behind them just as the werewolf reached it. The creature howled in rage, throwing its body against the door. Ginny backed away, staring at the hinges that were bending with the force of the creature's blows. She backed right into Draco.


She gasped and turned towards him, then winced as a fresh wave of pain shot through her arm.


"You all right?" he whispered, grabbing her shoulder and studying her face.


She gritted her teeth against the pain and nodded.


"Good," he said, staring intently at her. Her eyes fluttered open after a moment, and Draco was fascinated by how vulnerable she appeared. Her skin was waxen, her eyes enormous with pain, and her lip was swollen slightly, bloody from where she'd bitten it. He found himself wanting very much to lick it clean.


"Uh...we should go!" he stammered, looking quickly away.


Ginny felt weak from the trauma, but she had noticed Draco looking at her...very strangely. It had made her feel strange, at least. She felt her stomach flutter as she looked at his pale face, his blond hair falling into his eyes. It had grown a bit longer than she was used to seeing on him, the back almost touching his collar. She saw a white hand reach up and sweep the hair aside, smoothing it behind one ear. Then she realized it was her own. His eyes rose and met hers, and for a moment they just stared. Then, as one, they straightened and drew away from each other as another loud bang resonated through the stairwell.


"I'm going to Dumbledore!" she said quickly, as they began to trot down the stairs. "We have to tell him right away!"


"You go to him, I'll get Professor Snape!" Draco replied. "Then get yourself to Madam Pomfrey!"


"You should go to her now!" Ginny gasped, looking at his neck with sudden fear. "It bit you!"


Draco stopped walking and stared at her, the color draining from his face. He started to touch his neck, but yanked his hand away. Snape, he had to find the Potion Master!


"Come on!" he hissed, grabbing her elbow and walking faster than before


They walked as quickly as they could down the hall. Draco seemed to know where he was going. "My common room is over here," he said quickly, "but I think Professor Snape might still be in his office. Where's Dumbledore's office?"


Ginny halted suddenly, realizing she didn't know. The reason she'd kept thinking of getting him was because, like most everyone, she believed there was nothing the headmaster couldn't handle. But she hadn't stopped to remember that she had no idea where he lived!


"What?" he asked her, frowning. She felt a stab of anger, but whether at him or in response to her own ignorance, she wasn't sure.


They turned suddenly as voices floated towards them. It was Snape and the Headmaster, followed by Professor McGonagall.


"Miss Weasley!" she gasped, "Mr. Malfoy! What on earth are you doing here?"


Ginny had the sudden, sinking feeling that they were in trouble. She opened her mouth to explain, when suddenly the corridor's silence was shattered by the music of the werewolf's howl.




Everyone gasped and whirled around. The creature was standing behind them on its hind legs, blood dripping from its jaws. Ginny felt her heart thunder in her chest, while confused fear nearly blinded her. How had it gotten down there without their hearing the door crash in? She ran behind the teachers, along with Draco. Dumbledore had his wand out already, and his eyes nearly glowed with power.


"STUPEFY!" he bellowed, just as the creature leaped. Ginny screamed as it let out a yelp and fell unconscious at their feet.


They all stood for a moment, just looking at the creature. Its rib cage rose and fell with its rapid breathing, and blood was now spilling from its jaws. Ginny stared in horror, suddenly remembering how she had found Draco. Her eyes flew to him.


"You were bitten!" she gasped, her eyes wide.


Snape turned to his student, grabbing his chin and jerking his head up, while Professor McGonagall pulled out a handkerchief and tried to clean his wound. Snape knocked her hand away angrily, unable to see the wound clearly in the dim light.


"Take them both to the hospital wing, Severus," Dumbledore said quickly. "Minerva, please get Hagrid here immediately!"


Snape didn't answer; he just grabbed Draco and Ginny hard by their upper arms and fairly pushed them down the corridor. Draco almost stumbled twice, but the professor's grip was strong, and kept him upright. As he was propelled along, Draco found himself feeling remarkably empty. He'd been bitten by a werewolf! There's no cure for the bite, he thought dazedly. What would happen to him? Would he now turn into a monstrous, shaggy wolf? The thought made him cringe inwardly, but he was too numb to feel anything beyond that. To be bitten by a werewolf was to be the recipient of a powerful curse, one that no amount of magic or medicine could cure. He noticed the moonlight filtering in through the windows reflecting upon the floor. It would be his enemy, the signal for change into a mindless beast. No more Hogwarts, no acceptance. He thought of Professor Lupin, poor and derided because of his condition, which made him think of his parents, particularly his father. Oh God! What will he say? Draco's heart finally began to pound in terror in reaction to this thought. Lucius Malfoy was a merciless racist, and Draco had no idea if he would make any exception for his own son! He might very well find himself disowned and discarded. He turned to Ginny then and found her staring at him, her expression filled with fear and pity. He jerked his gaze away.


"Please stay calm, Mr. Malfoy," Snape said mildly, as his grip tightened on Draco's arm and he walked even faster. They arrived at the hospital wing in record time.


Madam Pomfrey took Draco first, and with a damp towel began to clean his wounds. "Looks bad. There's a lot of blood," she murmured worriedly. Draco shut his eyes against the pity on her face. This wasn't happening. He wasn't really here!


Suddenly Madam Pomfrey called out to Snape in an excited voice. "Professor, the skin isn't broken!"


Draco's eyes flew open and focused on the face of the school nurse, his heart tripping worse than ever. Snape strode over quickly, his face crunched in a look of angry concern, and bent to examine Draco's neck. After a moment, his expression cleared.


"Congratulations, Mr. Malfoy. You've avoided a fate worse than death."


Draco didn't know he was going to cry until the moment that he did. Relief surged through his whole body, and he went limp and weak as the tears coursed down his cheeks. He faced his teacher, mouth opening and closing, unable to speak or make any sound. Madam Pomfrey looked at him with compassion, and held up a small mirror.


"See for yourself, Mr. Malfoy. It bit you hard, but not hard enough!"


Draco grabbed the mirror and anxiously examined his wound. There were swollen, red tooth marks on his neck -- tender still, the skin around them beginning to bruise. But he was whole, no curse to ruin his life and crush his soul.


"Yes," Snape said briskly, taking the mirror from him. "Now he needs rest. And you have another patient."


Madam Pomfrey quickly settled Draco into a corner bed, and then bustled over to Ginny. Her elbow was indeed cracked, and she had a large bruise forming on her head where she'd struck the pavement. The nurse mended her bones in a flash and gave her something warm to drink as she settled her in the bed next to Malfoy's. Snape had gone as soon as Malfoy had been settled to report the good news to Dumbledore. As she lay in the bed, sipping her drink, Ginny felt exhaustion sweep over her. What a night! Happy Halloween indeed! This definitely hadn't been a treat. The nurse came and took their mugs, advising them to get some sleep, and extinguishing the candles. Ginny didn't need the encouragement. But as she closed her eyes she heard Malfoy sniffle a bit, and she turned to him in the darkness.


"Are you all right?" she whispered. He was silent for several minutes, and Ginny was about to ask again when he spoke.


"No, I'm not," he replied flatly. "I was almost a werewolf. This has been the worst week of my life!"


Ginny frowned, feeling a surge of irritation. "Well you're not a werewolf! Things aren't all bad. Maybe life will get better from here."


"My father might have disowned me, you know," Draco continued. "I might have been expelled!"


"You might also be dead!" she said angrily, "Or you might be facing a monthly transformation into a monster!"


As soon as she said it, a wickedly funny thought struck Ginny. Ha! Then you would know what we girls go through every month! She had to slam her hand over her mouth to keep from snickering. In the dim light of the room, she saw him frown.


"What?" he asked.


"Nothing!" she replied quickly, hoping he wouldn't pursue it. But the thought was spreading through her mind, and she suddenly let out a snort of laughter. Draco scowled.


"I'm so glad you find my suffering amusing!" he snarled.


"Oh please!" she snapped, her humor disappearing. "You survived an encounter with a werewolf, with no harmful effects to show for it! You aren't getting expelled or disowned. Allow me to thank you for all your concern. I mean, I live to save your life! It's one of my hobbies."


Draco fell silent, chagrined and not wanting to admit it, just as he didn't want to admit that he was growing addicted to the fire in her eyes. His own eyes narrowed as he attempted to throw up a barrier of anger between them.


"No need for sarcasm, Weasley. Allow me to thank you for accidentally finding me and doing the right thing!"


Her mouth dropped open at his arrogance, and her blood began to boil. "You ungrateful twit!" she hissed, "I should have let that thing rip you to pieces!"


His lip curled in a confident sneer. "Don't be silly. You're too sentimental to do that...Gryffindor!"


"And you," she replied furiously, "are too horrible for words, snake!"


With that, Ginny turned away from him and pulled the covers over her head, seething with anger. Malfoy stared at her prone figure, forcing himself to stay silent and not apologize. He'd felt a stab of pain in his heart at her words, and he tried very hard to convince himself it was nothing. She's a Weasley, a worthless rag doll, he thought. No riches, no refined mannerisms, no taste. She was nothing like Pansy Parkinson.


Nothing like Pansy Parkinson. No plastic smiles, no simpering compliments, no false praise, just honest anger and unbelievable courage.


A true Lion Heart.


He felt his heart and soul grow warm with the most unfamiliar feelings as he continued to stare at her well after she fell asleep.

************

Hagrid shook his shaggy head and threw a bloody rag into a bucket of warm water.


"It's sick, Professor," the gamekeeper said sadly. "I'm not right sure wha's causin' it. But I'd say it's a blood sickness, like in them's that can' stop bleedin' when they're cut on the finger, or summat like tha'."


"Do you mean hemophilia?" Dumbledore shook his silver maned head in concern. The werewolf was still unconscious. And as the early light of dawn began to pour across the sky, the Headmaster's concern for his students increased. "I do hope Severus is almost through."


No sooner had the headmaster spoke than a sharp knock was heard on the shed's door. Without waiting for a reply, Snape walked in carrying a goblet of smoking liquid. "It's ready."


"Thanks, Professor." Hagrid took the mug and a baster, and started squeezing and pouring the liquid down the animal's throat.


"Thank you, Severus," the headmaster said quietly. "Now at least we can be sure the poor creature won't be a danger."


"Are you so certain, Headmaster?" Snape asked, frowning. "Werewolves are human as well. And as such, their hearts are not always predictable."


"I am well aware of that, Severus," Professor Dumbledore replied calmly, "which is why I've taken the added precaution of placing an Unbreakable Charm on this shed."


"I hope it will cooperate, then," Snape murmured darkly.


"As do I, Severus. We will allow the creature to rest until tomorrow, and then I will attempt telepathic communication if it doesn't regain human form by then."


"Shouldn' be a problem, Professor," Hagrid said, straightening up from his task. "The moon'll on'y be full one more night."


Dumbledore nodded, hoping that answers could be gained as painlessly as possible.
Leave a Review