Sweet Cotton Candy

(A/N: I've just realised that I've been spelling Seamus' last name wrong throughout the entire story. So please disregard all the 'Finnegan's and replace them with 'Finnigan's.

Also, I didn’t want to make up any names. So, as you all have probably already noticed--the chasers don’t have names. To help tell them apart, just remember that one is pro-DG, while the other is very anti-DG.

I’ve tried my best to keep everyone in this story in character. I do understand that by making Michael Corner gay, I’m sort of contradicting that. I would just like to make it clear that Michael Corner’s homosexuality is the most out of character I am going to get in this story.)

The following week went by without incident. Bill had sent Ginny an owl, informing her of their mum’s approval. Word of Ginny and Draco’s relationship not being such a bad thing began to infiltrate the Gryffindor common room. Colin, Michael, and Hermione afforded Ginny and Draco hours to themselves, and Ron was completely oblivious to it all.

It was Saturday morning and the trio was waiting for Ginny in the common room. The Hufflepuff-Ravenclaw match was to take place after breakfast. The plan was that all of them would go together, along with Michael Corner. Or at least that was the plan that Ron knew of.

“What could possibly be taking her so long?” asked Harry to no one in particular.

“She’s a little jittery,” Harry turned to look at Hermione, who was arm in arm with Ron. “Someone has a little surprise for her.” Hermione grinned, silently indicating who ‘someone’ was.

“A surprise? Really? I wonder what it is that Michael’s going to give her. I’ll bet five galleons that whatever it is, it’ll make Ginny very happy. They’re an absolutely fantastic match, don’t you two think?” Ron asked, looking at his girlfriend and, then, at his best friend.

Before either Hermione or Harry had a chance to answer him, Ginny came down the staircase, wrapping her new winter cloak even tighter around her.

“Good morning, Gin,” Ron said nearly bouncing on his heals. “You look great, little sister.” Ron took a quick double take and noticed something very odd. “Hey, Gin?”

“Yes, Ron?” Ginny had already made her way toward the portrait hole, along with Harry.

“Where’d you get that cloak?” Ron asked, his voice tinted with suspicion.

Ginny stopped dead in her tracks.

Harry felt her freeze beside him and turned quickly to address Ron, “I got it for her birthday. You like?”

“Oh. Yeah, it’s really nice.” Ginny exhaled at the sound of acceptance in Ron’s voice. She gave Harry a look of gratitude.

Ginny turned and asked as normally as she could, “So, are we going down or what?”

Molly Weasley looked at herself once more in her enchanted mirror. She was wearing her best robes and still, she would look plebeian once she stepped onto the Malfoy grounds.

She sighed and muttered to herself, This will just have to do.

Molly picked up her wand and prepared to apparate to Malfoy Manor. She did prefer the Floo Network, but there was no way in hell that she was going worsen her appearance by getting soot all over her.

Ron smiled as he waved to Ginny in the distance. He, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and Michael had just entered the pitch, when Ginny and Michael decided to sit in the Ravenclaw stands.

His smiled immediately ceased as he saw a blur of platinum walk past him. He grinned again, however, when he remembered who Ginny had left with hand in hand only moments ago.

The trio made their way up to the Gryffindor stands. They took seats next to Dean, Seamus, the rest of the Gryffindor quidditch team, and Neville.

“Where’s Gin?” asked Seamus.

“In the Ravenclaw stands, with Michael,” answered Harry.

“So those two are back on, then?” Dean had to raise his voice to be heard over the ever loudening crowd.

“In Ron’s dreams, yeah,” one of the chasers muttered.

“What was that?” asked Neville. “We couldn’t hear you.”

“It was nothing,” the other chaser answered for her team mate, throwing her a glare as she did so.

Narcissa sat looking perfect, as always, while Molly sat visibly uncomfortable, as they both awaited their tea.

“So, Mrs. Malfoy...”

“Please, it’s Narcissa,” Narcissa smiled.

“Well, in that case, please, call me Molly,” Molly forced herself to smile back. She couldn’t say that she really liked this woman. Molly knew she didn’t know enough about Narcissa Malfoy to legitimately dislike her. All she really knew was that Sirius didn’t like this woman, and that was all the reason Molly needed.

“Of course, Molly.” Molly fought a snort.

“Narcissa, I am assuming you know about your son and my daughter. I also presume, that that subject is the matter of this meeting,” Molly said as politely as she could.

“Yes, Molly. I very much do know, and yes, this is about them.”

“Well, then?” Narcissa cocked one elegant eyebrow at the sudden impoliteness that seeped its way into Molly’s words.

“My son has very deep feelings for your daughter, Molly. I am sure you are aware of his intentions to marry her.”

“Yes, I and the rest of my family are very aware of that,” said Molly, lips pursed together into thin lines.

“Yes, well, I see this will be difficult,” Narcissa said just as their tea had appeared before them.

Narcissa called for a house elf. “Will you, please, retrieve Draco’s latest letter.”

“Y-yes, Mistress,” the elf bowed low before retreating to fulfill his order.

Narcissa and Molly sipped their tea in silence.

The elf soon returned with Draco’s letter.

Narcissa carefully set down her teacup. “Place the letter before Mrs. Weasley, and you may leave,” she nodded toward the elf, who abided dutifully.

Molly set her own teacup down and eyed the letter suspiciously.

“You see, Molly, the night after your daughter declined my son’s proposal to wed, he sent me an owl. And I think it is best that you read it before we continue on with the matter of our children.”

Molly said nothing. She simply gave a curt nod, picked up the piece of parchment that lay on the table in front of her, and read it.





“...and he scores!” bellowed the student commentator. “Ravenclaw leads 40-20!”

It had already been twenty minutes into the game, and many of the Gryffindors were beginning to think about leaving early. No other team in school could match the current Gryffindor team. And, frankly, they now found that the games in which they did not compete to be quite boring.

Harry was the only person in the Gryffindor stands that seemed to be really paying attention to the match. Of course, he was captain, and was watching only to study the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff strategies.

Neville, Dean, and Seamus had long left the match. The Gryffindor chasers were quietly but intensely arguing about something. Hermione had already drifted away on Ron’s shoulder, and Ron was about to drift away atop of Hermione’s head.

In a last attempt to try and stay awake, Ron turned his eyes toward the Ravenclaw stands. He saw no red, not even a speck. Now fully awake, he snapped his head up and scanned the Ravenclaw crowd. He soon found Michael adamantly cheering for his house team, but Ginny was nowhere to be seen.

“Ron! Ron!” Hermione was awoken by the shouts of Neville, who was running back up to the stands.

“Ron!” Neville said, once he reached the stands. Neville was struggling to catch his breath.

“What is it, Neville?” Ron then addressed Harry, “Oi, Harry. Do you know where Ginny is?”

Harry turned to look at Ron. “She’s with Michael.”

“I highly doubt that,” snorted one of the chasers.

“Who else would she be with,” her fellow chaser glowered at her. “Of course she’s with Michael,” she turned to Ron.

“No--,” Neville shook his head fervently. “She isn’t,” his words were punctuated by pants, “She’s-down there-with him-Seamus and Dean-have gotten a-hold of him-you need-to get-down there.”

“Who’s--,” Hermione’s question trailed off, when she realise who Neville was talking about.

“Ron,” Hermione was too late. Ron had already sprinted down the stairs toward the grounds.

Hermione turned to look at Harry, who looked at her right back. With a single nod, Harry ran after Ron.

Hermione took a deep breath before making her way after Ron, as well.

Molly found herself speechless as she finished the letter. She carefully set the piece of parchment back down in front of her and stared down at her hands.

“My son is a very complicated young man, Molly. His father made sure of that. He secures himself within very thick walls. So thick, in fact, that not even I can fully see him. But it seems that your dear Ginevra can.”

Molly looked up to stare at Narcissa. She was still without words.

“You have come with many doubts and fears, I am sure. But as you can see,” Narcissa gestured her left hand toward the letter, “Any doubts you may have had should now be diminished. Now for the fears.” Narcissa paused to take a sip from her tea and set the cup back down again. “My husband never loved me. Unlike you, Molly, I was never blessed with that gift,” Molly found it strange that there was no hurt or emotion in Narcissa’s voice as she said this. It was as if she had long accepted this fact, maybe even too long. “However, he did somewhat respect me.” Narcissa paused to take another sip of tea. “You see, the worst he ever did to me was yell. He would threaten my life on a nearly daily basis, but I always knew that unless the Dark Lord ordered him to, that was all they were--threats. He never hit me, and every night, it was my bed that he returned to.”

“And this should erase my fears because...” Molly’s voice was soft and had lost all traces of its earlier malice.

Narcissa took another sip of tea. “He treated me well, considering the fact that he didn’t love me and that he had had such a bad role model in his own father. My son loves Ginevra, and he knows much better than Lucius. He will make sure she is happy, even if it kills him.”

“Why should I be so sure of that?” Molly asked quietly.

“Love is a very strong emotion that is not controlled but controls. Seeing as I am who I am, one would think that you would know that a hundred times better than I.”




“Dean, Seamus, stop!” Ginny yelled at her teammates.

Ginny and Draco had been making their way toward the castle from the lake when they were spotted by Dean, Seamus, and Neville.

Dean and Seamus had immediately pounced. Neville went to get Ron.

No punches had been thrown yet, but Merlin only knew how much longer that would last.

“Didn’t Ron make it clear enough for you, Malfoy?” said Dean, who found the whole situation a bit amusing.

“Do you need the rest of Gryffindor house to help you get the damn message?” spat Seamus, who did not find the situation amusing at all.

“And what message would that be, Finnegan? That Gryffindors are pathetic twits who make the mistake of looking down upon anyone who does not fit into their sweet cotton candy world?” Draco leered.

“Ah, but, Malfoy. Have you forgotten? The fair lady your delusional mind believes is yours is the purest that a Gryffindor can get,” Seamus lunged, but Dean managed to grab a hold of him just in time.

“Just leave, Malfoy. Ron’s going to get here soon. Just go,” said Dean struggling to keep hold of Seamus.

“Draco, come on. Let’s go,” said Ginny, pulling on Draco’s arm.

“Why?” Draco snapped as he ripped his arm out of Ginny’s grasp. Ginny was visibly taken aback by this.

“Draco?” Ginny asked softly.

“Well, why? Why should we just go and hide?” Draco shouted. “You’ll just end up going back to that dammed tower, get told, cry your eyes out, and not speak to me for another week.” Draco was breathing very heavily as he looked at Ginny. “Everyone in this damn school knows about us, it’s not like we have anything to hide.”

“B-but aren’t you afra-” Draco cut her off with a very cold laugh.

“Afraid? Of Ronald Weasley? Surely you jest, Ginny. Your brother is nothing to me. You’ll know of real fear when my father finds out about us.”

Harry had caught up to Ron just before Ginny and Draco came into view.

A loud eruption of cheers came from inside the pitch. The game was over, and Ravenclaw had won.

All Harry and Ron saw was Draco yelling at Ginny. Ron sprinted toward Draco with such speed that Harry was left biting the dust.

Students began filing out of the pitch.

Ginny was the first to see Ron. Draco noticed him only after Ginny had shoved him aside and she was already lying on the ground.

Ron had thrown his fist at the very last second with everything he had. He realised he had hit the wrong person when he looked up and saw tendrils of blood red flying through the air.

(A/N: Review Please!)
Leave a Review