The Baby Has A Secret



The train had arrived at Platform 9 ¾ half an hour ago; Ginny had finished saying her hellos and goodbyes to her parents and brothers. There was only one person left to say goodbye to – Harry. She stepped up to Harry to enclose him in a sisterly hug and raised her eyebrows when he went stiff. Ginny backed away. “You okay, Harry?”



Harry’s voice had deepened considerably over the years, so when his next words squeaked out, everyone turned to observe him. “I’m fine.”



All of the Weasley boys lifted their eyebrows.



“Well, we really should be off now. We want to get home before dark. We’re only Muggles so it isn’t as though we can floo or, what was it again dear? Ah, Apparate like all of you can, so we really should be going,” Hermione’s father spoke up.



Mrs. Weasley nodded and gave her baby girl one last hug. “You two girls behave yourselves.”



Ginny rolled her eyes and Hermione gave her a small smile. Hermione knew this wasn’t how Ginny really wanted to spend her summer, but a more selfish part of her was happy to have another girl around to talk to. Ginny walked alongside Hermione and behind Mr. and Mrs. Granger and stopped when she saw a pair of silver eyes looking in her direction. Hermione turned her head just in time to see who Ginny was looking at. She frowned when she realised that it was Draco Malfoy.



Hermione’s frown deepened when she saw that the pair had locked eyes, and neither of them seemed to be willing to break the contact. She found this to be a little unnerving, but settled with the more comforting thought that Ginny and Draco were just having a silent power argument. The two hated each other; their families hated each other…it made sense, especially after the bat-bogey incident. With that thought, Hermione could not hold back a smile.



Hermione saw a slender elegant hand clamp down onto Draco’s shoulder. It was his mother. He finally broke eye contact with Ginny, and Hermione smiled at the fact that Ginny had won the little battle. Ginny turned to Hermione just in time to see her smiling in the direction of Malfoy and his mother.



“What’s got you all happy?” Ginny asked.



“You won,” Hermione replied simply.



Ginny only nodded.



**********



The car ride was a long one. Ginny was certain she had fallen asleep at least three times. When they finally got close enough to their destination, Ginny’s eyes widened. Hermione’s home was beautiful. But then again, what should she have expected? Mr. and Mrs. Granger were both, what was it again? Oh yes, dentists. That was some sort of doctoring thing, and Ginny knew that doctors were usually well off in the Muggle world.



**********



Harry and Ron dumped their things onto the floor once they had shut the door to Ron’s room at the Burrow. They were both looking forward to a fun and rest-filled summer. It was going to be just the two of them. Ron’s brothers had all promised to visit some time during the holiday, so that they could get a Quidditch match started. Harry felt a little bit guilty that he wasn’t as excited about the trip as he was a couple of weeks ago. He really hoped Ron hadn’t noticed, especially since his level of excitement had to do with Ron’s sister.



Instead of thinking about how great it was to be away from the Dursleys, all Harry could think of was a pretty little redhead. He was a little dizzy with confusion; he had always thought of Ginny as a sister, and he knew that it definitely wasn’t all right to think that your sister was hot. He was really going to miss her over the next couple of weeks.



**********



Hermione sighed as she sent the owl off. Summer holiday was almost over, and Ginny had told her absolutely nothing. They had plenty of fun, she wouldn’t deny that. It was nice to have a person around you could really talk to. Ron and Harry might have been her best friends, but at the end of the day, they were still boys. They were boys that wouldn’t understand half of her problems; problems that only girls could relate to.



She had kept the boys in on everything. Every conversation that might have hinted at something, but they were few and far between. Ginny and Hermione were leaving for the Burrow in four days, and all Hermione had been able to figure out was that Ginny definitely had a secret. At first, she thought Ginny might be having some boy troubles. Maybe she liked someone that didn’t like her back. She quickly dismissed that assumption when she realised that 98% of the boys at Hogwarts would gladly cut off their right arm just to get a whiff of Ginny’s hair. Then she thought that maybe Ginny had a secret boyfriend. But why would any guy at school want to keep the fact that they were dating Ginny Weasley a secret? Unless he was much older than she was… a teacher maybe. She had heard that Oliver Wood was seeing a nameless beauty. Or maybe she wasn’t even seeing a boy. In the Muggle world, being gay, lesbian, or bisexual wouldn’t be that big of a deal, but it would certainly be in the Wizarding world. It wouldn’t be a surprise that she would keep a secret like that. The assumptions went on and on, but were all dismissed. None of them seemed to be something that Ginny would do. Then again, why would Ginny keep a secret if it was something that people expected? A very rare occurrence was underway; Hermione Granger was thoroughly confused.



**********



“Ginny!” Mrs. Weasley cried out at the sight of her daughter’s blood-red hair. They decided to meet in Diagon Alley since Hermione had yet to get her school things.



“Hey Mum,” was all Ginny was able to get out before she was engulfed in a tight embrace. Her air supply was quickly cut-off when her father and six brothers all decided to join her mother in sharing the love. “I can’t breathe,” Ginny barely managed to gasp out. Her family quickly let go of her. When Ginny was released, she found her self face to face with the one person she did not want to see. “Hello, Harry.”



“Hey, Gin.”



Ginny just couldn’t get their last meeting out of her mind. The whole summer, the look in Harry’s eyes had haunted her. She was over him, and she had been for nearly three years. Harry was like another brother, and she didn’t want to hurt him. She hadn’t discussed what had happened on the trip back from Hogwarts with anyone. But she knew that wouldn’t last long; with a family as nosy as the Weasleys, it was bound to come out eventually.



“Hope you had a nice time with the boys. How close did you come to dying out on the Quidditch pitch? I know first hand how competitive these arses can be. Even Percy goes all out.” Ginny feigned a laugh, hoping that her pathetic attempt at normal conversation was believable.



“Yeah, well, who do you think you got it from?” piped in Charlie.
Leave a Review