Reddish-Platinum



The Burrow was unusually calm this particular morning. The yearly rush of getting out to Platform 9 ¾ on time wasn’t a rush at all this year. They all had packed three days in advance. Mr Weasley had made sure that all their things were loaded into the car, which the Ministry had provided for them the night before. It was so quiet it was almost eerie. It made everyone realise how much they all really missed the twins.



They were all sitting in the kitchen, having breakfast. They consisted of Mr and Mrs Weasley, the trio, and Ginny. Awkwardness was definitely hanging in the atmosphere. In all her years of seeing her children off to school, Mrs Weasley had never before been able to cook breakfast for her family on the mornings of September 1st. Though she knew that she should have been happy that her yearly stress rate had decreased quite a bit, she couldn’t help but feel saddened by it all. The twins might have been obnoxious and loud, but they were the ones that kept the house as lively as it was. Although she scolded them for doing so, most of the laughs were a result of some kind of experiment or prank that the twins had performed on the up-tight Percy. Ron might have been the drama queen of the family, but like Muggle soap operas, those dramas got you addicted after awhile. And Ginny… well, Ginny was the glue that silently held the family together. Molly had got over the absence of her two eldest children long ago, but even then, it took her quite some time. Now her two babies were coming close to their times to leave the nest. She didn’t favour any of her children. Molly loved them all equally, but somehow she knew that it was going to be much harder for her to let go of her baby girl than it had ever been with her sons. Whether it was because Ginny was the only girl or just the baby, Molly didn’t know.



Molly looked up at Ginny just then. She always knew that her daughter was a very pretty girl. But she had never really taken the time to stop and notice just how beautiful Ginny had become. She smiled as she caught Harry staring at Ginny from the other end of the table. She always hoped that something would happen between those two.



“Well, I think we should go then. I know it’s pretty early, but why don’t we get a head start, for a change?” Arthur was getting tired of the silence. He remembered a time when he used to pray for silence to wash over the Weasley household, now he wouldn’t mind taking those prayers back.



Everyone nodded in silent agreement, got up, and headed out to the car.



After dinner the night before, the trio had created a plan to sate their determination to share a compartment with Ginny. Hermione had said that she would make sure that Ginny was close to her on the ride to the station, and Harry said that he would stay with her when Hermione had to go off for Head Girl duties and Ron, Prefect duties. To them, the plan was perfect. So when they all arrived on Platform 9 ¾, they were quite surprised when Ginny was nowhere in sight. They said their final goodbyes to Mr and Mrs Weasley, got onto the train, and split ways to look for her, but to no avail.



Ginny walked through the long corridor of the train. She seemed to be looking for something. She took a second to stop and contemplate something. From behind, a hand closed over her mouth, an arm encircled her waist, and she was dragged away.



Ron and Hermione had just left for Head Girl and Prefect duties. That left Harry all alone in the compartment. Harry would normally be in the company of Ginny, Luna, and Neville. But because Ginny wasn’t anywhere to be found, he didn’t feel comfortable seeking them out and conversing with them. Though he and Neville shared a dorm, he never thought of them being close, and Luna was Ginny’s friend.



Harry just sat in the compartment, contemplating what he was going to do. It wasn’t long before he decided he would just look for Ginny.



Harry walked through the corridor peering through every compartment to try to catch a glimpse of blood red. He was almost at the end of the train when he over heard a few girls talking. “…He is quite handsome, isn’t he? I don’t know about the rest of you but I’d jump him in a…”



Harry discreetly peered into the compartment in which the girls were talking and saw that they were Gryffindors. He recognised them as being only two years below him.



“Eww! I’ll admit he’s absolutely gorgeous. But I’d die before I’d let him or any of his housemates know it. He’s a bloody Slytherin! Have you got no pride in your house, girl?” Another girl replied with disgust.



Harry snorted with revulsion. A Gryffindor actually thought a Slytherin to be attractive? What in the world was the girl thinking?



“Of course I do... It’s just that, he’s just so yummy!” The girl pouted. “What do you have against him anyway?”



“Have you forgotten who we are talking about here? The arse knows nothing about us except for our last names. And the sole fact that our last names are not on that precious list of pureblooded families, he hates us. Forget that we’re Gryffindors! The only people he could hate more than us are those that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named calls blood traitors, the Weasleys and the Longbottoms!”



“So?”



“So? What do you mean, so? Have you forgotten who you are, your lineage, who your parents are? You are Muggle-born! If he had his way, you’d be dead!”



Harry didn’t really know why, but he wanted to know who the person was that these girls were arguing about.



“Look, he might be good looking, but then again most of the bad guys are. That’s why they’re so appealing. And I know this will sound really cliché, but it has to be said. The boy is bad news. He and his family are. You’d leave him alone if you knew what was good for you.”



Okay, so only every boy in Slytherin was bad news. Only all of them and their families were. That narrowed things down.



“How do you know he isn’t different? Just because his father is evil, it doesn’t mean that he is as well! You claim to hate him because he hates you for no reason, when you hate him for no reason in return. You judge him not by his character but his last name!”



“Well what would you expect when that last name happens to be Malfoy?”



Harry shuddered. This girl was swooning over ferret boy? He thought he might have puked right then and there. Harry took a deep breath and continued to walk down the corridor. He had reached the very last compartment when he began to hear… sounds. It sounded like there was a big snogging session in commences. Not wanting to intrude, Harry turned around and headed back to the compartment. He turned only when he thought he saw a flash of blood red intermingled with platinum, but just shrugged it off.



Ron was walking back to the compartment that he had left Harry in. As expected, because Hermione was Head Girl this year, her list of duties was much longer than his own. She had told him on their way to the Prefect meeting that she probably wouldn’t be able to see him and Harry until later that night, at the beginning of term feast.



Ron had not been paying attention at all during the meeting. Just as he had for a good part of the summer, he was thinking about Ginny. Though no one outside of the family really knew it, he and Ginny were rather close. They were the babies, so naturally they stuck together. He would protect her from the twins’ pranks and experiments, and she would use her baby-girl charm to get him out of trouble. It was a sort of stab at his pride that Ginny would keep a secret from him. Although there were many things that Ginny didn’t tell Ron, he was unaware of it. He was under the rather silly impression that Ginny held no secrets from him.



He really had no clue to what Ginny was hiding from him. Although he had made a big deal about it in front of Harry and Hermione, Ron didn’t really think Ginny’s secret was anything dangerous. He continued thinking about what Ginny could possible be hiding from him, and soon lost track of where he was going. When he finally looked up, he realised that he was so engrossed in his own thoughts that he had walked all the way to the other end of the train without even taking notice of it. He turned around to make his way to his to his original destination but was quickly absorbed in thought again. He didn’t even hear the noises coming out of a compartment when he passed it, much less the reddish-platinum.
Leave a Review