When Draco got back to the apartment that Friday evening, he found Ginny sitting on the floor of the living room, her back against the wall. Her right arm was resting on her bent knees and a beer bottle was hanging loosely by her fingertips. Ginny brought a cigarette to her lips and sucked on it deeply, letting the smoke pass through her lungs. She blew out the smoke and put out the cigarette with her fingers. All the furniture in the room had been pushed to one side and shards of broken beer bottles littered the floor opposite Ginny. Draco sat down near her and waited to see what she would do next. Gulping down the beer from the bottle in her hand, she threw the empty bottle towards the enlarged picture of her family above the shards of glass, shattering upon impact. The people in the picture were hiding in the corner, afraid to be hit.

“I guess the meeting didn’t go very well,” he said softly, as he watched her open another bottle of beer and take a swig out of it.

“To say that it was bad is an understatement,” she said, turning to look at him, her words slurred and her voice hoarse. When she brushed her hair away from her face, he saw that her eyes and nose were red and she was sniffling.

Draco got up from where he was sitting and sat down next to her, putting his arm around her shoulders. “Tell me what happened, honey,” he said gently.

“Ok”, she said quietly, and began recounting the incident that afternoon at the Burrow.



Ginny was packing her things into her trunk when her mom entered the room and demanded to know what she was doing.

“Mom, I told you I was moving out three weeks ago,” she said as she dumped the last of her things into her trunk. She then proceeded to shrink it until it was small enough to fit into her pocket.

“Didn’t I tell you that you’re not going to do that? Why do you want to move out?” her mother asked, her face turning red. “Where are you going to stay? Who are you going to stay with?”

“I told you three weeks ago that I was moving in with Draco. You didn’t specifically tell me that I can’t move out. All you said was why should I move out when I can stay here, where all my food and laundry is provided,” she said as she made her way past her mom and downstairs.

“Don’t you walk away from me, young lady! I taught you better than that. It must be that Malfoy boy you’re seeing. He’s a bad influence!”

Ginny whirled around and stared at her mother. “Don’t you dare bring him into this! You don’t even know him! You and dad both never took the initiative to get to know him. You either treat him like dirt or you totally ignore him. His mom treats me better than you treat him so don’t say something you don’t know anything about!”

After that, the argument escalated into a shouting match, and when Ron arrived home, he found his mother and his sister shouting at each other at the top of their lungs.

“I don’t understand you anymore!”

“You never did! You never tried to understand me at all! I’m 23 years old and you still treat me like a kid! For fuck sakes, why can’t you just realize that I’m not a little girl anymore!”

“Don’t you dare cuss in my house!”

“That’s just it! It’s YOUR house! I never felt like I fitted in after my first year at Hogwarts. All of you made me feel like a stranger in my own home! That’s why I can’t stay here anymore!” she screamed, stomping towards the door.

“If you walk out of that door, don’t you EVER think about coming back!” she heard her mother scream at her. Ginny was beyond caring and she Apparated back to the apartment that she was sharing with Draco and started setting up wards against all of the Weasleys, Harry and Hermione.




Draco stroked her hair gently as Ginny finished telling him what happened that day. Ginny rested her head against his shoulder and toyed with the empty beer bottle in her hand.

“She made me so angry! Sometimes I hate my family,” she whispered as angry tears started to well up in her eyes.

“Calm down, baby. Don’t let them get you down. It’s not good for your health,” he said softly, rubbing her back gently.

“I know, but I just can’t help it. I really hate the way they treat you. I thought parents were supposed to set good examples to their kids, but I have no idea what they think they're doing. Sometimes they seem to approve of me going out with you. Other times, they seem to be oblivious to the fact that I’m with you. It just makes me so mad!”

“Honey, just relax. Forget about it. Things will be fine once your mum has cooled down. Now, let’s get you into the bedroom. You’ve had enough beer for the month.”

Draco carried her into their bedroom and helped her change into her pyjamas before tucking her into bed. Once he was sure that she was asleep, he went back out to clean the living room.

After the living room was cleaned, he changed out of his clothes and went to bed, holding Ginny close and hoping that they’d have a quiet, uneventful weekend together.

Unfortunately, early the next morning, their apartment was bombarded with owls from Ginny’s brothers, Harry, and Hermione. Ginny read the first owl from Charlie and burnt the rest of the letters. She wasn’t in the mood to answer any of their questions or to explain why she had left. After reading the first letter, she wrote a reply saying that she wanted to be left alone and didn’t want to answer any of their questions yet. That stopped them from sending any more owls and Howlers. She managed to spend the weekend with Draco undisturbed.

A few weeks later, her six older brothers descended on her at her office as she was about to leave for lunch. After letting her colleague know that she might be coming back from lunch late, she left with her brothers. They ended up at a café near her work place. Sitting at the back of the café, they started to assault her with questions. She raised her hands to stop their questions and began explaining the whole incident.

She was disappointed with most of her brothers’ reactions. They, like their parents, thought that she was too young to be moving out of the house. She should just break things off with Draco and be a good little girl and move back home. The only one who was on her side was Ron, as he was almost a year older and he understood where she was coming from. Once she saw that Bill, Charlie, Percy and the twins were adamant about wanting her to move back home, she stood up and left, not waiting for the food to arrive. She called her office to tell them that she would be taking the rest of the day off and Apparated back home. She lay on the bed and cried until she fell asleep. That was how Draco found her, curled up in a ball in the middle of the bed and the corner of her eyes still wet with tears.
To Be Continued.
Nerwen Faelvirin is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Family Affairs also liked 154 other stories.
Leave a Review