.: Profiler :.

A/N: When losing inspiration for one story, what’s better to start another one?

Disclaimer: I own nothing you recognize. Everything belongs to the wonderful writer JK Rowling.

Chapter 1 - Weird essay

It was only the first week of school and she had been swamped by homework. How was she going to survive? Slowly she settled her head on the palms of her small hands. Her eyes started to close as she heard Professor Bin’s voice somewhere in the background.

“Miss Weasley, please do your sleeping when it is night,” Professor Bin said in a dull voice that roamed through her ears. She bolted straight up and smiled apologetically at him, her freckled cheeks turning slightly pink.

And just then, the class was over. Hastily she grabbed her hand-me-down schoolbag and rushed out of the class, eager to get to Muggle Studies. It wasn’t really one of her favorite subjects, but she loved the professor. Professor Bakers, a very kind woman with a weird character, which was exactly why Ginny Weasley liked her so much. She happily bounced through the corridors, her flaming red hair bouncing up and down.

“Hey Ginny,” a familiar voice said. She stopped and whirled around, coming face to face with The Boy Who Lived. She quickly took a step back and smiled meekly at him.

“Hey Harry, what’s your next class?” she asked and shoved a string of red hair behind her ear. Normally she would blush and get very nervous around her crush, but since she had given up on him last year, she had stopped blushing; But that didn’t mean she didn’t have a crush on him anymore.

“Boring History. Yours?” He asked back with a heart-warming smile, his green eyes sparkling.

Ginny shifted her feet nervously and looked up at him with her own brown eyes. “Muggle classes.”

“Ah, I feel sorry for you. Professor Bakers is so weird,” he chuckled and patted her on the back.

Ginny pouted her lips and wasn’t even slightly affected that he had touched her willingly. “If you must know, she’s my favorite teacher.”

“Oh. Sorry, must get back to class!” he said a little awkwardly, and waved her goodbye and scurried of into the classroom.

She started walking again with a pouting expression on her face. But she figured it didn’t matter, it was only Harry, and the rest of the Hogwarts population, she added as an afterthought. Finally, she arrived at Muggle Studies. She smiled as she took her regular seat in the front row. Professor Bakers was already there reading some essays.

Ginny studied her professor, and noticed that something seemed off about her and she couldn’t figure what it was. Her hair seemed as messy as always, her overly large glasses were perched in their normal place, her normal hand-me-down clothes looked just as disheveled as always, and a lopsided grin on her face as usual; everything was still there. Ginny raised an eyebrow and then noticed what was about her, her eyes seemed to have taken on a mischevious glint, as if she was planning something. Before Ginny could give it any more thought, the professor suddenly sprang alive.

“Ah, my lovely students! Good morning,” she said with a cheerful voice, welcoming them into her class.

There was a lot of groaning in return, but Bakers didn’t seem to notice.

She slowly abandoned her seat and stood up. “Today we shall discuss what Muggle's call a ”Profiler”. At the end of the class I shall give you the rules for the essay I’m about to assign.” Another loud groan came in response to the news of the impending assignment.

“A Profiler is some one who observes people and their habits. The Profiler and subject are in no way related, they are randomly paired. The Profiler then starts to observe the subject, to find out more about him or her. Mostly, Profilers are used in the Muggle Police department’s to track serial killers,” Professor Bakers explained, grinning at the confused looks on her students.

“Open your books and turn to page 212.”

Ginny opened her book and browsed around until she came across page 212. She, unlike some people, was actually interested in this learning about Profilers stuff. Not that I want to become one she laughed inwardly.

“And now about that essay,” Professor Bakers grinned, she knew her students hated her essays, which is what made it so fun to assign them. All Ginny’s classmates cringed inwardly.

“I want an essay that’s about 2 foot long - oh don’t give me that look - about your subject. Yes, you are going to be a Profiler. It means you’ll have to choose a student that isn’t in your house and is a complete stranger, and profile him or her.”

Colin Creevey slowly raised his hand up in the air. “Does that mean you’ll have to write down the habits and the character of the student?” He asked with disbelief.

“Yes, Mr. Creevey, you’re correct. I want an essay about your subject, from what his or her favorite colour is, to his or her greatest fear. But you musn’t describe the student’s appearance, and if you know the name, you can’t use it. It must be anonymous,” she said, her eyes sparkling mischievously.

Now it was Ginny’s turn to raise her hand. “Yes?”

“Do you expect us to write a 2 foot long essay about some student?” Ginny also asked in disbelief. “I believe I do Miss Weasley. You’ll have 3 weeks to turn in the essay. And no excuses that you couldn’t find a student.”

The class grunted and scribbled down their homework in their day planners. “Remember, the subject must be a total stranger. If you only know him or her by name, that’s okay, but they can not be in your own house.”

Ginny shrugged and wrote down the homework in her day planner. “Class is dismissed.” Bakers said and watched the students with a smile as they fled the classroom. Only Ginny was left behind.

“Is there something you want to ask me Miss Weasley?” She asked, standing next to Ginny who was desperately trying to stuff her book in her bag. She looked up, looking puzzled as to why Bakers would think she needed something. Then she noticed she was the only one in the classroom.

“Oh, nothing professor,” she smiled and also left the classroom. Ginny had this period off, which gave her one full hour of nothingness. She swung her school bag over her shoulder and marched down to the Great Hall expecting to see no one, but was wrong. As she opened the doors she saw that a few Slytherins and Ravenclaws were there. She arched an eyebrow and sat at the Gryffindor table.

A few of her classmates were also entering the Great Hall and talking animatedly about Quidditch. Ginny felt bored and started thinking about her essay. Why not choosing a student now?

Ginny turned around so she could see everyone in the Great Hall; she looked over at the Ravenclaws. Luna Lovegood was sitting at the end of the table, reading the Quibbler. But I can’t choose her; she’s my friend. Ginny huffed and looked at the other end of the table At Cho Chang, who was flirting with one of her classmates. No way am I choosing her. Ginny looked at the drooling boys, wrinkling her nose in disgust. Great, I’m out of choices.

Just then, a high-pitched voice roamed above all the others. Ginny looked over to where it came from. Her eyes rested on the Slytherin table to see Pansy Parkinson clinging onto Draco Malfoy’s arm and giggling like there was no tomorrow. Then Malfoy turned to face her. He placed his infamous smirk on his pale pointed face. Ginny, being offended easily, stuck out her tongue at him and turned around again. She still felt his eyes upon her. Ginny glanced backwards and was right; Malfoy was still smirking at her. Ginny frowned and paid no more attention to him.

“Hey Ginny. Do you know who your subject is already?” Colin asked, suddenly sitting next to her. Ginny looked at him and shook her head.

“Can’t think of anyone,” she replied.

“Well, you’re supposed to pick someone randomly …” Colin trailed off, his eye catching a certain Ravenclaw.

“I already see you have found yours,” Ginny laughed at him. He was looking at Cho Chang. He turned to her and smiled. “I think I have.”

“Oi! Gin!”

Ginny immediately stiffened. “Oh Merlin,” she whispered to Colin. Colin looked at the person who was calling her.

“He’s been very annoying lately, talking about you all day long. I suggest you take a run for it, I’ll try to stall him,” Colin whispered back to her.

Ginny nodded and muttered a small thank you. “Ooii! Gin, Gin!” The person once again called her. Ginny quickly stood up, grabbed her school bag and fled the scene, hoping Dennis Creevey wouldn’t go after her. She could still hear his “oi” after she left the Great Hall. She let out a sigh when she thought the coast was clear; still she looked around every corner to see if he was there. As she rounded the corridor she saw a group of students whispering and recognized them as Slytherins. That annoying git Malfoy was there too.

“Look who’s there, the Weasel scum,” a voice drawled. Ginny cringed and tried to walk away, ignoring the ferret’s comment.

“Is the Weasel scared? You should be-“ He was cut of by Dennis Creevey, who came running towards Ginny.

“Oi! Ginny, I’ve been calling you the whole time,” he said, looking at Ginny who had her back turned to the group of Slytherins. Ginny was relieved she wasn’t alone anymore. Then Dennis noticed the Slytherins and looked at them with big eyes. “I have to go, bye,” he said in a hurry, and left Ginny alone.

Ginny’s face fell as she cursed the sorting hat for putting him in Gryffindor. She didn’t even hear the Slytherins laughing at her, calling Dennis her boyfriend.

“That the Weasel would go so low, but I guess that’s what they are used to, being low and all.” Malfoy smirked, arms crossed as he dared Ginny to say something back.

Ginny squeezed her eyes shut and slowly walked away. She didn’t hear Malfoy’s comments anymore as she walked into another corridor. Stupid git.

As she wandered around the halls of Hogwarts, she still didn’t have a subject. She was frowning now, why would she want a subject right now? Because the sooner you’re done, the sooner you can turn in the essay. A little voice said at the back of her mind.

It wasn’t until later she finally had a subject. Ginny was smiling evilly as she entered the Great Hall once again, looking over at the Slytherin table. He is perfect. All you have to write down is that he’s a stupid, arrogant, scared little git. Just perfect.

“Hullo.” Luna Lovegood was standing in front of her, gazing with a dreamlike expression on her face. “Thinking about someone special?” The blonde haired girl grinned, poking Ginny in the side with her wand.

Ginny snapped out of her daze, looking annoyed at her wand. “What? No, thinking about homework,” she explained to Luna, who didn't believe her.

“Sure.”

Finally, it was time for the students to go back to class. Ginny said goodbye to Luna and skipped off to Divination. While she climbed up the silver ladder her mind was with Muggle Studies. Profiling her subject was a piece of cake. Ginny smiled and entered the classroom. Although, her mind began, you’re going to have to watch his every move.

“So what?” She suddenly asked out loud.

Colin, who sat behind her in class, tapped her on the shoulder. “Did you say something?” He asked in confusion. Ginny’s cheeks turned pink for the second time that day, and she quietly shook her head.

It’s totally worth it. I can almost picture it now, "Hey Malfoy! I made an essay about you!” She giggled softly to herself. He is going to faint. Ginny laughed out loud and turned back to class again.
To Be Continued.
BabyPan is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Profiler also liked 243 other stories.
Leave a Review