***************************************************
Chapter 11: Ruse


The cold breeze whipped around Ginny, chilling her to the bone. The sharp, fresh air seemed to invade her senses, awakening them. It was almost as if her very skin was clogged and choked from the cooped-up, boxed in city life that Ginny had been living, and it was finally free once again, like nothing it had ever known since Hogwarts.

Gazing up before her, she drank in the sight of the Malfoy family estate, which stood about three hundred yards away. Other than Hogwarts castle, it was the most magnificent building she had ever laid eyes on. Surrounded by an endless expanse of snow-covered trees, the dark stone of the building was a prominent contrast to the fields of white snow of the grounds. Evergreen trees and snow-covered hedges spotted the grounds, adding a promise of life to the other wise desolate landscape. The pointed roofs of the magnificent towers of the mansion were also covered in snow, tucked away for the winter.

It should have been a lonely, bleak sight. Yet it was shrouded with a beauty that Ginny could not name; a sense of calm and peacefulness seemed to emanate from the area. The soft glow of candlelight shining through the windows and the faints smell of wood smoke promised warmth and comfort. Ginny couldn’t stop her wide-eyed staring. The effect was sublime; it was drawing her in, speaking to a part of her that she had shut down so long ago.

It reminded her of her childhood and the years she spent at Hogwarts.

“It’s amazing, isn’t it?” Draco said proudly, noticing her expressions of awe.

“Yes, of course,” Ginny choked out, words almost failing her, as she looked upwards to gaze at the towers lovingly. Draco rewarded her unspoken compliments with a rare smile, as they continued their trek in silence, Ginny far too awed to speak. They were walking down the path to the main entrance of the building, as they had been dropped off just outside the main gate. Ginny was so entranced with drinking in the sight and feel of the place she would be staying for the next weeks when she suddenly realized that they had arrived at the door.

“Mr. Malfoy, so good to see you, sir! Your family has been expecting you,” a voice greeted from inside. A short, round man had opened the door, greeting the pair with a warm smile, which Ginny was shocked to see that Draco returned almost instantly.

“Thank you, Gregory. I assume that they in the study?” Draco asked, as he set his bag down, and unclasped his cloak. A few more servants appeared as if out of nowhere, and were taking Ginny’s bag and her robe from her, leaving her to just stare in wonder at the scene before her.

From the outside, the mansion looked very similar to Hogwarts; it looked like a castle. However, on the inside, there was nothing castle-like about it. Instead of cold stonewalls, and hard marble flooring, surrounded by large, fancy furniture and intricately carved trappings, the main hall resembled that of a family home.

The floors were a honey-colored hardwood, the furniture, from where she could see, was richly designed, but still warm and inviting. The cream colored carpets spaced intermittently about the floor were soft and welcoming, and the taupe walls were covered with paintings of beautiful landscapes. Ginny was shocked, she was sure that she would be spending her days in a cold, inhuman castle surrounded by the cold company of the Malfoy clan. Instead, she found a richly, sophisticatedly designed family home, that radiated warmth, comfort and seemed to welcome her instantly.

“Virginia, would you like to meet my family?” Draco said, breaking her thoughts. He had a sly smirk on his face again. He could tell how surprised she was and it pleased him.

“Yes, of course,” she said.

“Alright, let’s go then. Don’t worry Gregory, we’ll be fine on our own,” he said, addressing the man who had stepped forward to lead them. Draco, guiding her down a hall with his hand against the small of her back, nodded politely to the butler as they passed.

“How long has this home been in your family?” Ginny asked, finally able to speak properly, the shock beginning to ebb.

“Seventeen generations, I think. I maybe a bit off, it’s been awhile since anyone has asked that,” Draco said lightly.

“It’s incredible, Malfoy. I can’t even imagine how you leave this place at the end of your visits,” she commented, once again craning her neck to try to observe everything at once.

“I manage. I am here as often as my schedule allows, I think that’s what helps me leave. The knowledge that I’ll be back before long,” he spoke, quietly. They had neared the end of the hall, and Ginny could see light coming from the room on the very end, and she could hear muffled voice and laughter. Laughter from a bunch of Malfoys? She questioned herself curiously. I think I’ve entered a parallel universe.

Just as she expected to turn into the room, he stopped suddenly, grabbing a hold of her arm. His face, a few seconds before, had been light and about as cheerful as she could see Malfoy getting, but was now a mask of solemnity.

“Listen up, Weasley. There are a few things that you need to remember about this trip. One, nothing is really the way that it looks. If you have questions about anything, ask me first before you say anything to anyone else. Two, avoid talking about your position in Fudge’s office as much as possible.”

“Why would I do that? Isn’t that what I’m here for?” she asked furiously.

“Weasley, you’re in my domain right now. Remember what school House most of my family comes from. We need to be sly about this, and unless you’re willing to play by my rules, you can just head back to London,” he answered lazily, crossing his arms against his chest and leaning back against the wall so to stare down at her with those piercing eyes of his.

“You are not telling me something, Malfoy and I think you'd better fill me in if you expect me to stay here and play your little game,” Ginny demanded, her eyes narrowing suspiciously.

“Look, people here are different. Back home, being one of Fudge’s minions isn’t such a bad thing. Some people may even be proud of it. But here, it isn’t. He – and Britain’s Ministry, for that matter – aren’t well liked, and it is best if you just play along.”

“Then what reason do I tell them that I’m here?” Ginny spat back, outraged that he had waited until now to inform her of this situation.

“You’ll just have to play along with the ploy I’ve already invented,” he said with a sly smirk, before straightening up, grabbing her hand and leading her into the room.

“Draco! You’ve arrived! We’ve been waiting for you!” a cheerful-looking woman cried out as they entered the room. Her hair, Ginny was certain, had once been the signature blond of the Malfoys, but was now streaked with gray.

“Hello, Aunt Elizabeth. I’m sorry to have kept you waiting,” Draco answered smoothly, as he pulled Ginny forward to stand next to him. He hadn’t let go of her hand yet, and she tried to wriggle it out of his grip but he only tightened his hold. She looked around the room, and spotted an old man that must be Draco’s uncle, standing next to his aunt, and two other young women, both with the patent blond hair. Thinking wryly of her own bright hair, Ginny felt certain that she was going to stand out among these people, no matter what ploy Draco had invented.

“And this must be your Virginia. Welcome dear, it’s so nice to meet you!” the woman was saying, as she engulfed her in a hug. Baffled, Ginny just smiled in return when she was finally released.

“You have such a lovely home,” Ginny said, her eyes taking in the sight of the study. Another room of warmth and comfort, the fire crackling merrily and numerous plush couches and chairs that reminded her of those in the Gryffindor common room.

“We are just so glad to have you here. You are the first girlfriend that Draco has ever brought to meet us, and we’re anxious to get to know you,” she continued. With a snap, Ginny looked at Draco, who was glaring at her out of the corner of his eyes while trying to keep the pleasant look on his face.

“Girlfriend?” Ginny choked out.

****************************************************************
Leave a Review