Standard Disclaimer still applies.




************************************************
Chapter 5: Ice Queen




She amused him. A lot. Catching a good five minutes of her impassioned ranting about why he was the scum of the earth and never should be trusted, she definitely amused him. Twice within a twenty-four hour period, he had caught a glimpse of her fuming mad; an explosive kind of temper you could tell was just boiling up inside her.

And now that she was aware of his presence, aware of the importance he was going to play to her newest goal, all of the boiling temper was instantly turned to ice. She was calm, cool, collected, and definitely cold to him. Within an instant, she had transformed into the smooth, sophisticated persona that had earned her the reputation of being the most effective negotiator that the Ministry had ever known.

She definitely amused him.

After asking him to sit down, she had excused herself and Cornelius Fudge, practically pulling the old man with her. She hadn’t thought to close the door, so Draco allowed himself a moment to watch her as she tore into the man who held the highest title in the wizarding world. As he surveyed her, he was hard pressed to compare the woman before him to the girl he remembered from Hogwarts. She had grown up, and become quite a woman.

She was still very small, he noted. She couldn’t have been more that level with his shoulders, and her features reflecting how slight she was. She would have looked delicate and fragile, especially dressed in her business suit, with her hair tied back, but the way that she was lecturing the Minister ruined any possibility of that description. Her hair, which was usually tucked neatly away in her standard knot, was coming loose, freeing wisps to hang around her face and neck, which she batted away without thinking. Altogether, the youngest Weasley had grown into a fine looking woman, who was known by his informants as someone who was cool as ice, and yet here she was, ranting with a fire that had not only melted her façade, but burned it away.

After a few more minutes of their hushed arguing, she came back into the office, instantly turning back into the Ice Queen.

“Mr. Malfoy, the Minister here has informed me that you are interested in learning more about the pact that we are attempting to create between international wizarding ministries, before you choose whether or not to endorse it. I would be more than happy to meet with you at some point later in the week to discuss this further,” she said, calmly sitting down, as if he had never walked in on her argument with Fudge; as if he had not heard her repeated insults to his character. Her lack of contrition about the whole scene slightly annoyed him; it was obvious she was not willing to admit what a powerful man he was, or acknowledge how much respect he deserved.

“I would certainly enjoy that, Ms. Weasley. Would 10 o’clock on Thursday suit you?” he asked with a smirk.

“I’m afraid I already have an appointment that day,” she said, and then there was silence.

“I am afraid that this is the only time I have open for the recent future. Oh wait; I do have something available in January the 12th. Would have be better for you?” he asked, the cold silver in his eyes glinting dangerously. He knew very well that was too late.

“At that point in time, Mr. Malfoy, our conversation would serve no purpose. Would ten-thirty be acceptable?” she asked, forcing herself not to reach out and slap that look off his face.

“I suppose it will have to do, Ms. Weasley. Until then,” he said, and gracefully exited the office.

Walking away, he could hear their voices rise again, the yelling following him down the hall. He chuckled. He knew how much Fudge needed this, knew how much his acceptance of this Cooperation act would mean, how much Fudge’s future career was riding on it. And Fudge was sending in his best, knowing how much of a challenge Draco Malfoy was going to be.

And he, by all means, was unwilling to let them down. A challenge was what they wanted, and a challenge was what they were going to get.

* * * * *

“Clarice, I need you to drop everything else you’re doing, and prepare a profile on Draco Malfoy for me,” Ginny said, leaving her office later that afternoon. Clarice had noticed that after Draco Malfoy and the Minister had both left, Ginny had slammed the door shut and hadn’t been seen in over two hours. This was the first time that she had emerged all afternoon.

“I think I’ll be able to do that. When would you like it by?” she had asked.

“As soon as possible. The Minister just asked me to go after Bulgaria via a certain Draco Malfoy. I’m meeting with him at ten thirty on Thursday, right after the German Minister. It’s cutting it a little close, but Mr. Malfoy was very insistent that it was the only time he could make it,” Ginny said, pacing around in front of Clarice’s desk. She was obviously upset, something that Clarice hardly ever saw. The only time the young woman wasn’t completely composed was when she was late or angry.

And now, the day before her meetings, Ginny Weasley was sitting at her desk, well past midnight, staring down at the file that Clarice had prepared for her, attempting to figure out what card she could play to get Draco Malfoy on their side. Her thoughts were distracted and she was exhausted, having spent the past three nights doing exactly the same thing.

In the silence of the office, which was completely empty except for her, her mind kept wandering back to the last encounter she had had with him.

And there is the fact that you hate him, was in a rival house at Hogwarts, and he is someone who can break apart that lovely little diplomatic façade that you’ve created, because he makes you so angry, you lose your temper whenever he is around, and you hate that almost as much as you hate him, he had said. Just thinking about his words made her blood boil, partly because his tone was so irritating, but mostly because he was completely right. There were a few times in her life when she successfully lost her temper, and most of those incidences were a direct result of something that Draco Malfoy had said. The night of Harry’s engagement party, after her spat with Hermione had made her even more susceptible to her temper.

Sighing, trying to expel the memory that night from her mind, she flipped through the pages that Clarice had prepared. She was very thorough, Ginny noticed, but there were a few holes that she would have liked to see filled. Pulling out a small piece of parchment paper and her quill pen, she made some notes about further information she would need. Like what happened to him after he left Hogwarts, what role he played in the war against You-Know-Who, what side he was on, what has been doing since then, she thought to herself. Clarice had managed to compile a list of his assets and property holdings, and from that list, it was apparent why Fudge felt that he was so important to winning Bulgaria over. The man practically owns the whole damn country, she scoffed silently.

A soft rapping at the door startled her, and she nearly jumped out of her chair. Taking a few quick breaths to calm herself down, she called out for the visitor to come in.

“Harry? What are you doing here?” she asked, surprised as the tall, dark-haired man stepped into the room.

“Hey, Ginny. I’ve been trying to track you down for a few hours now. I tried your flat, our parents place…Asked Ron and Hermione if they knew where to find you. Finally, I thought of Clarice, and she suggested that I check here. Should have known you’d still be at work,” he said, smiling lightly, as he sat down in a chair across from her.

“Tomorrow’s going to be a busy day,” she answered simply, carefully avoiding his eyes, shyness that she had tried to banish taking over her body.

“So I hear. I just found out about the Cooperation thing that you and Fudge are working on. I think that’s brilliant, Gin, I really do.”

“Yeah, we’re all really excited about it. Just think, fifteen of the most influential international wizarding ministries coming together to fight the last remaining supporters of the Dark Arts. There’s still quite a few of them out there, you know,” she said, smiling. Harry chuckled.

“Of course, I know that Ginny. It’s my job to know that.”

“Well, pardon me, Mr. I’m-a-big-shot-Auror. Us ordinary wizards do what we can to stay on top of things,” she teased. Harry smiled, and a moment of silence fell over them.

“Ginny, I know that you and Fudge are trying to go after Bulgaria for this deal,” Harry said suddenly, breaking the silence.

“How did you know that?” Ginny asked, surprised.

“It’s my job to know these things. Look Ginny, there’s not a lot I can say, but please…just be careful. Do what you have to do, but if you get a bad feeling from whoever you’re talking to or doing whatever it is you do, listen to that feeling and walk away from it,” Harry said, seriously.

“Harry, I can’t just give up if I get a bad feeling, this is far too important, don’t you think?”

“I understand Ginny. Just…be really careful, especially around Malfoy.”

“Harry, don’t worry about me. I’m a grown-up now, and I don’t need you or any of my other brothers looking out for me. It’s just politics, Harry, it’s not dangerous,” Ginny said, slightly irritated by his ominous warnings. As if she didn’t know well enough what Malfoys were capable of.

“Okay. I just wanted to make sure you weren’t getting in over your head, you know.”

“I appreciate your concern. But, Mr. Potter, I have to admit; I’m a little baffled. Aren’t you marrying the illustrious Mr. Malfoy’s cousin?” Ginny asked with a sly smile.

“That’s different, Ginny. You don’t know anything about that or about Gabrielle!” Harry said, his tone becoming defensive. Ooh, that’s a bit of touchy subject, Ginny thought to herself.

“You’re right, I don’t. I’ve only just met her. Imagine my surprise, learning you were engaged, Harry! Because the last I heard from you, you were far too busy to deal with relationships, and women, and your first priority was putting down what was left of You-Know-Who’s supporters! At least that’s what you said when you told me that you didn’t want to see me anymore,” Ginny cried, her anger getting the better of her. She watched his expression change, and his eyes become cold.

“I wasn’t the only one who had different priorities, Ginny. I tried to make things right with you, but you were always so bloody busy with this stupid job. So I stopped waiting around for you Ginny. You can’t hold that against me!”

“You? Waiting around for me? You’re so blind, Harry!” she yelled.

“Fine. Look, I just wanted to make sure you were aware that there is a potential risk getting involved with anyone from Bulgaria, and I want you to be careful. But I’m sorry I even came,” he said, standing up.

“Thank you for your concern, Mr. Potter, but if you’ll kindly excuse me, I have work to take care of,” Ginny said coldly, and turned her attention back to her folder, turning on the ice almost instantly. He paused at the door, and she could feel him staring at her. After a few minutes, he sighed and left her office, slamming the door lightly behind him.

As soon as she was certain that he was gone, she buried her face in her hands, and groaned. It was going to be a long day tomorrow.

***************************************************
Leave a Review