See Chapter One for the disclaimer

********************************************************************

The owl swooped into the Burrow bearing a stack of silver edged invitations in its claws. Pausing briefly the owl dropped one in front of Molly Weasley. It hooted softly at her before flying out the window to deliver the remaining invitations. Molly looked at the card knowing full well the contents. Draco Malfoy had unexpectedly appeared on their doorstep two weeks ago announcing his intentions towards Ginny. He didn't ask for permission. Molly snorted at the thought, Malfoys never asked for permission to do anything, he had simply informed them that he would be asking Ginny to marry him that night.

Molly knew that the dreams she had held on to for ten years were foolish but she couldn't help it. Ever since Ron had brought Harry into their family she had dreamed of making that arrangement permanent. She couldn't have loved him any more if he were her own blood but it would have been nice to have him legally part of the family. However, after catching the eye of Draco Malfoy, Ginny was not the slightest bit interested in rekindling her childhood crush. Molly was still hazy on the details of how the two of them had got together; theoretically their paths should never have crossed. At Hogwarts they were in different years and different Houses, out of School their families were at opposite ends of the social and political scales. Despite all of the obstacles between them, the two had managed to forge a relationship that now looked to be permanent.

Bill and Charlie had laughed at her distress when she saw them the following day. Both of them had pointed out that she should be happy their little sister had found someone who loved her as much as Draco obviously did. Even the twins had not reacted as she expected. The two of them had apparently been talking about the possibility of a Weasley/Malfoy marriage and had no major objections to a union. Sighing again, Molly opened the invitation and read the elaborate script

Mr Arthur and Mrs Molly Weasley

You are invited to the gala opening of Poison . . .

******************************************************************

Katie ignored Marcus's grumbles as she pulled him up the stairs to the box that Oliver had arranged for them. The Weasleys were already seated, decked out in red hats and scarves in support of the Scottish team. Waving a greeting at them, Katie took a seat tugging Marcus down beside her. Turning towards Angelina and Alicia she started to chatter as they waited for the Scotland/France game to begin.

Marcus sighed, being surrounded by ex Gryffindors wearing traditional Gryffindor colours and supporting Oliver Wood at the Quidditch World Cup was not a place he ever imagined he would be. He was broken out of his self- pity when Harry Potter took the empty seat next to him. Marcus nodded in acknowledgement, to Harry's quiet greeting. He knew that the young Seeker still wasn't entirely relaxed around him. Marcus hadn't been able to work out if it was the fact he was the ex Slytherin captain, or if it was to do with his friendship with Draco. Whatever the cause of the initial reserve it had started to thaw as the World Cup campaign went on.

"Are you here supporting Wood or checking out the competition?" Marcus asked politely.

Harry grinned at him, "Bit of both. I'd like to think Scotland is going to win but France's seeker has been performing really well so far. I wanted to see her style in person. What about you?"

"Same I guess. Katie is obviously here to support Wood while I'm checking out the French team."

"You don't think Oliver's team will make it through?"

"No. They have the stronger Chaser line up, but it'll come down to the Seekers and France is too good," Marcus said confidently.

Katie leaned across Marcus, "Hiya Harry. Glad you could make it. Do you have your scarf?"

Harry bent down and removed the red scarf from the bag at his feet. "Always prepared. Just like a boy scout." At Katie and Marcus's puzzled look he laughed, "Muggle reference, don't worry about it."

"Oy Katie!" Fred called. "Where's Marcus's scarf. He has to wear something red."

Marcus looked at him steadily debating whether to make an issue of the teasing. He let his lips twitch up into a smirk, picking up the red-clad Katie he placed her on his lap, "And now I am."

When Fred opened his mouth to comment, Angelina swiped at his arm, "They're about to start."

Marcus leant forward as the Scottish team swooped out onto the field enjoying the side effects of Katie bouncing enthusiastically on his lap as she waved her Scottish flag and hollered encouragement to the team.

Harry looked slightly confused at the death glares being sent the way of one of the French Chasers by everyone around him, even Oliver was overly jubilant every time he denied the Chaser a goal. Something that was happening fairly frequently, Harry noted. Oliver was playing like a man obsessed and nothing was getting past him. Even Marcus Flint was looking slightly impressed. After being denied yet another goal the French player swung past their box. His annoyed expression turning to complete rage as Katie waved jauntily at him. Harry turned to question this rather strange behaviour when a flash of gold caught his eyes. "The Snitch!" he yelled. Conversation in the box stopped abruptly as all eyes focussed on the two diving Seekers. Marcus's prediction proved to be correct, Campbell was only a second behind the French Seeker but that small advantage was all Guilloteau needed as she reached out to grab the snitch.

*******************************************************************

Draco reached over and snagged Ginny's hand raising it to his mouth for a quick kiss before she stepped forward to take her place in front of the podium.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for joining us tonight. Right from when the Snake Pit was first established, Marcus, Draco and I knew that to succeed in this business we would need to be able to constantly adapt and meet the need of our customers. The idea for the restaurant was first hatched over a year ago, but we decided to wait until now. The last several months have been spent in furious research, and planning. At this point I must thank Professor Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for his assistance and patience over this time. Without his outstanding knowledge of potions we would simply be opening another London restaurant. Instead, you are about to experience the next level in wizarding dining. Each menu has been carefully crafted to allow diners to pick and choose the ultimate dining experience. Feeling depressed? Then the entrée can cheer you up. Feeling tired? Then let the main course revitalise you." Ginny paused and smiled wickedly, "Love life been rather unexciting lately? We can help you there as well."

While Ginny waited for the laughter to subside, Draco signalled the waiting staff to start distributing the champagne. While the waiters circulated throughout the room Ginny continued, "There is of course an alternative menu for those who choose not to take advantage of the extras on offer. These diners will find a selection of mouth-watering choices. For those of you unlucky enough not to have tried my mother's cooking it will rate as a culinary highlight in your lives." Molly Weasley blushed scarlet at this unexpected compliment.

Draco and Marcus stepped forward from their support positions to stand on either side of Ginny. Raising her own glass of champagne formally, Ginny said in a carrying voice, "Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Poison!"

As people started to mingle excitedly, Katie detached herself from the Weasely group and made her way over to Professor Snape. "Hello Professor," she said.

"Good Evening Miss Bell," he replied politely. "You chose not to be up on the stage with Marcus?" Professor Snape questioned.

"Marcus offered but I didn't feel it was appropriate," Katie explained. "This is their project and they should get the recognition. What about you?" she ventured. "Tonight is as much about your work as theirs. Why weren't you up the front?"

Severus Snape let his mouth twist into a slightly sardonic smile, "Let those who enjoy the limelight stay there. I, for one, prefer the shadows."

Katie waited beside him slightly nervously trying to catch Marcus's eye. Intellectually she knew Professor Snape wasn't about to do anything nasty but seven years of having him deduct points for the slightest infraction could make a girl rather nervous. She jumped slightly when he spoke again.

"I have enjoyed watching the England games Ms Bell. I was a little surprised when I first heard of your appointment, but you make a good team with Marcus."

Katie smiled brilliantly at him. Ginny had said that Professor Snape had approved of her relationship with Marcus but confirmation from the source made her feel immeasurably better.

Marcus caught the tail end of the conversation as he joined them. "Don't we just," he said smugly, wrapping a proprietary arm around Katie's shoulders. "Perhaps I should send flowers to Angelina to thank her for getting knocked up when she did."

*******************************************************************

Bill Weasley moved over to where Ginny was answering the Prophet's questions. When the interview finished he laced his arm with hers and smiled down at his little sister. Looking down at where her hand rested on his arm he smiled at the engagement ring. "Very nice," he commented.

"Isn't it just," Ginny grinned in reply. "Draco had the ancestral ring cut down for me. The original was pretty scary."

"Well I'd have to say his taste in jewellery is matched only by his taste in women."

"Why thank you, Bill. I'll pass that on," Ginny promised. Extending an arm in invitation, she asked, "Shall we mingle, Mr Weasley?"

"What a fabulous idea, Miss Weasley." With that the two siblings moved forward to work the crowd.

After dealing with his own set of reporters, Draco made his way over to where Arthur and Molly Weasley were standing. His smile was genuine as he greeted them, "Thank you for coming tonight Mr and Mrs Weasley. It means a lot to Ginny to have you here."

Arthur looked determined to make the best of the situation, "Thank you, Draco. We were delighted to receive an invitation." Looking around the room he searched for an inoffensive topic of conversation. "I am impressed with what you have created here. If the enthusiasm of the crowd tonight is an indication, the restaurant will be a raging success."

"Any success that Poison enjoys will be due to Virginia. She has put her heart and soul into the expansion." Draco smiled wryly, "But that's Ginny isn't it. She's an incredibly driven young woman. When she sets her heart on something she wont let anything stand in her way."

Molly harrumphed softly at Draco's unspoken warning. He looked at her with an amused expression. "A personality trait I believe she credits you for, Mrs Weasley. You brought her up to believe that she could do anything that she set her mind to. That belief has resulted in a great deal of drive and self-confidence." Draco gestured around the restaurant. "You have given that to all of your children Mrs Weasley, you should be very proud of that achievement."

Molly looked around, seeking out the red heads scattered throughout the crowd. "I am proud of my children, Draco," she said. "All of them."

"I'm glad to hear it, Mrs Weasley." Draco glanced over and nodded at the musicians. "I do believe a waltz is about to start. Would you do me the honour of this dance?"

Molly took the proffered hand with only the barest of hesitations. "Thank you, Draco. I think it is about time that you started to call me Molly. There's no need to stand on formality if you're to be family."

*******************************************************************

Ginny clapped her hands together in delight when she saw Draco lead her mother onto the dance floor. Bill chuckled as he followed her gaze, contenting himself with, "About time."

The couple in front of them moved away to reveal Ron, Hermione and Harry standing slightly awkwardly watching everyone else socialise. Brother and sister stared at each other silently.

"Hullo, Gin," Harry said to break the silence. "Thank you for inviting us."

Ginny slipped thankfully into the role of hostess, "You're welcome Harry. Your name actually came up twice on the invitation list, once as part of Marcus's team, and the other as family. Have you been enjoying yourself?"

After the obligatory exchange of pleasantries had been completed, Hermione picked up the conversation thread. "The concept behind the menu is fascinating. Are the potions detectable by taste?" she asked.

"Not at all. Professor Snape and I have worked very hard to find foods that would perfectly blend with the potions. You can't taste anything untoward."

Hermione frowned at that, "But doesn't that leave it open for the possibility of abuse? If you can't taste the additives then what is to stop you being manipulated by the other people at the table?"

"We had considered that. No one is able to order for another person. The choices are made by each individual diner and confirmed again by the waiter before the food is placed on the table." Ginny explained. "However, if you are interested in some take home Passion Parfait I could probably arrange something," she teased.

"That won't be necessary Ginny," Hermione said primly. "I am more than capable of taking care of that myself."

Harry snickered at Ron's sudden blush. "Glad to hear it."

********************************************************************

Marcus held Katie loosely in his arms as they danced. He smiled in satisfaction when the dancing figures of Draco and Ginny came into view. Ginny wore an expression of complete contentment as she swayed to the music. Marcus directed Katie's attention to the happy couple.

"She looks so happy," Katie commented.

"Considering this is the first time that Draco has been in the room with the entire Weasley clan without hexes or punches being thrown, I'd say she has a right to be."

Katie smiled to herself, "I think things are finally beginning to work out."

End Chapter Ten
Leave a Review