See Chapter One for the disclaimer

Author's note: Well here it is, the end of the story. Thanks for sticking around. Oh and I am aware that Ginny’s first name is Ginevra not Virginia, however as that little snippet only became canon two chapters from the end of the story, I have kept it as Virginia.

***

Marcus tugged viciously at the neck of his dress robes, wondering if one of those blasted Weasley twins had put a shrinking hex on the seams while he wasn’t looking. Running one hand through his hair, he began to pace up and down the length of his dressing room. Shooting an irritable look over at Draco he spoke, “Remind me again why I can’t see her before the ceremony.”

Shooting a warning look at Draco, Severus tried to calm his eldest godson. “Tradition Marcus,” he explained patiently. “This, more than any other day, you need to keep quiet and let her have her traditions no matter how frustrating you might find them.”

“Yes but she’s over there surrounded by ex Gryffs all trying to convince her not to go through with this.”

Draco snorted. “Somehow I don’t think they’ll be successful. She accepted your proposal in front of the entire Wizarding world. I’d say she’s pretty certain of what she is doing.”

“Quite so Marcus,” Severus added. “Not to mention Virginia is there to hit anyone with a silencing hex should they get too vocal on the subject.”

Marcus began to smile. “Gin would do that for me, wouldn’t she,” he said fondly.

“Well she hexed all her brothers with a delayed time release silencing hex before her own wedding so I can’t see her hesitating to do so again.”

Marcus and Draco were both sporting large grins at the memory of the six Weasley brothers gasping as they tried to make a sound. “That was a spectacular piece of spell casting.”

Draco smirked in spousal pride. “Wasn’t it just?”

As the momentary distraction faded, Marcus’s nervousness arose again. “Well we’ve covered the verbal persuasion method but what if they try something more direct. I think I should go over there and just check to make sure…”

“Marcus!”

***

Katie sat calmly in front of the mirror as she ran a brush through her hair. She was pretty sure that most brides didn’t move through their wedding day as calm as she felt. According to Witch Weekly’s summer wedding issue, her friends should have had to cast several de-stressing spells already. Certainly all the weddings she had been involved in before had the brides running around in a mad panic as they dealt with pre-wedding nerves. Even Angelina who had been with Fred since she was sixteen had panicked on her wedding day over whether he would actually turn up, and was she doing the right thing?

Katie let her attention be drawn back to her friends as they fussed around the room casting anti-wrinkle charms on their robes and anti frizz charms on their hair. Although Katie had opted not to have any attendants; honestly how could she have chosen between Ang and Alicia, her two best friends since she was eleven, or Ginny who had firmly taken the space of younger sister and confidant, not to mention the hordes of junior Weasleys who could have been called upon as ring bearers or flower girls? While it was easier to eschew the traditional attendants, she hadn’t wanted to miss out on the excitement of everyone getting ready together.

Angelina came over holding Katie’s wedding robes high off the ground. “Are you ready for these Kit Kat?” she asked gently.

Katie smiled as she reached out her hand to caress the delicate fabric. Shrugging out of her bathrobe and ignoring Alicia’s ribald commentary on her choice of lingerie that Ginny had talked her into buying, Katie raised her arms to allow Angelina to drop the dress over her head. “Now, now Katie, no peeking until we give you the say so,” Alicia instructed. Keeping her back obediently to the mirror Katie stood still while Alicia cast a complicated coiffure charm, before bending down slightly to allow the heavily pregnant Mrs Malfoy to place a sprig of orchids in her hair.

“Can I look now?” Katie asked. Taking Angelina’s soft, “Oh Katie” as sufficient affirmation, Katie slowly turned towards the mirror. Behind her she could see the reflection of her three closest female friends snuffling into little lace handkerchiefs.

The moment of female bonding was broken by a knock at the door. Alicia grinned at her sister-in-law. “If that’s Marcus tell him to bugger off. We’re not waiting around for an hour like we did at Ginny’s wedding just because the bride and groom can’t wait until after the ceremony for a shag.”

Ginny assumed an innocent expression. “I have no idea what you are talking about Alicia. As the Prophet and Witch Weekly both reported, a problem arose that required both our attention before the ceremony could proceed.”

“You were shagging in the first floor bathroom!”

“As I said, something arose that needed attention.”

Still snickering, Angelina made her away across the room to answer the door.

***

Oliver waited outside the door as he listened to the movements of the women within Katie’s room. Flint had disappeared with Malfoy and Snape to get ready, which had left him with the unenviable task of convincing Fred and George that Katie was unlikely to consider them hexing Flint red and gold an amusing wedding present. It took the reminder of their sister’s actions at her wedding to dampen their enthusiasm for the prank. Oliver didn’t really want to admit it to himself, but the bastard did make her happy. No one else had ever been able to make Katie glow with happiness as much as Flint did. For that reason, he would keep his mouth shut - well most of the time anyway, and let them be. Knocking a second time at the closed door he flashed a small grin at Angelina before she popped her head back into the room. “Don’t worry girls, it’s only Ollie.”

“I object to the only!” he called out in mock indignation.

Angelina popped her head out again. “Sorry about that. We had to make sure you weren’t an over eager groom. Not supposed to let him see her before she’s walking down the aisle and all that.”

“Fair enough,” Oliver accepted. “Is everyone ready?”

Angelina patted the flowers she had tucked into her crown of braids. “Everyone is dressed, manicured, coiffed and perfumed within an inch of their lives. I’d say we’re good to go.” Tilting her head to the side she gave him a sympathetic look. “How about I clear everyone out and can have some time alone with her before you bring her down.” At Oliver’s grateful nod Angelina slipped into her training ground voice, “Oi you lot we need to clear out and let the honorary brother of the bride have a moment with Kit Kat.” Oliver stepped out of the way to let Angelina and Alicia through the door and had to take a further step back to accommodate the very pregnant Ginny Malfoy through. Any urge to laugh at the way her belly preceded the tiny woman was cut off when she waved her wand threateningly under his nose.

Once they were all gone, Oliver stepped into the room and stopped abruptly, staring at the woman he regarded as his baby sister and best friend all rolled into one. On one level he realised he must look a complete idiot just standing there but he couldn’t help it. Of course he had been aware that his little Katie had grown up into a beautiful woman, but this was like having someone hit him over the head with the fact while trumpets blared in the background. He idly wondered if the twins had had a similar moment of realisation when Ginny had grown up. Oliver came out of his reverie to notice that Katie was tapping her foot impatiently.

“Well?” she challenged.

Moving over he cupped her face in his hands and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “I have never seen a more beautiful bride,” he said honestly.

Katie’s face broke into a huge smile. “Really?”

“Really. If Flint is not blown away than he doesn’t deserve you,” Oliver paused, “Well he doesn’t deserve you anyway but I don’t think that will be a problem as the last time I checked blindness was not counted amongst all his many faults.”

Katie laughed and swiped at his arm good-naturedly. “Behave,” she instructed firmly.

Smiling in agreement Oliver tucked her hand into the crook of his arm. “So do you want to go down on time or make him sweat a little?”

Katie grinned wickedly. Leading Oliver over to the chairs Alicia had pushed out of the way earlier, she carefully seated herself. “Well it is traditional for the bride to be a little late…”

***

Marcus was particularly grateful for the cooling potion Severus had pressed on him before they left their rooms. At least he was able to enjoy the feeling of the sun beating down on him without sweltering in his robes while he waited… and waited for Katie to arrive. After watching with equal parts amusement and horror the dramas surrounding the high society wedding that Draco and Ginny had been forced into, he and Katie had decided on something quite different. Once the decision was made that they didn’t want the celebrity wedding everyone seemed to expect of them, things became much simpler. The guest list was limited to close friends only, with Draco and Ginny hosting a much larger celebration in two weeks time for their team-mates, business associates and the like. Today, however, was about being with the people that, regardless of blood ties, Marcus and Katie regarded as family.

Katie had found a small island off the coast of Greece for the ceremony. In the interest of privacy, anti-apparition wards had been set up to deter curious visitors, and a deal negotiated with the prominent wizarding publications for photos to be delivered the day after the wedding. The date of which according to the Prophet was due to take place a week next Tuesday, while Witch Weekly was reporting it had been postponed until Christmas. Any publication that attempted to crash the wedding in the manner of the muggle paparazzi would immediately forfeit not only the negotiated photos, but be barred from any future newsworthy Flint occasions. The thought of being the only publication not carrying photos of Quidditch’s golden couple appeared to be enough to keep them all in line.

Marcus smoothed his hand down his robe and fought the urge to ask for the time again. Ginny and the Weasley wives had arrived a good fifteen minutes ago in a flurry of silk robes, so where the hell had Katie got to? Everyone was just milling around chatting paying no attention at all to his increasing anxiety levels. Marcus jumped slightly as he felt a hand clap down on his shoulder. “Relax Marcus,” Draco instructed. “Brides are always late. It’s just not a proper wedding if the guests don’t have to wait.”

“I could insert a biting comment here about how we had to wait for both the bride and groom at your wedding, but you’re too bloody proud of the fact for it to have any impact.”

Draco couldn’t help but laugh at Marcus’s disgruntled tone. Glancing over his friend’s shoulder he caught a glimpse of blonde hair. “Never fear, old man. It looks like your wait is over; here she comes now.”

Marcus turned back to the steps leading down to the beach. While the others drew to either side to allow Katie and Oliver to draw near, Marcus couldn’t take his eyes off his soon to be wife. Katie had refused to tell him what her dress she had chosen, outside of a few vague hints. She was breathtaking. The cream silk of her robes clung to her body as if she had stepped out of a Grecian frieze. Breaking tradition, Marcus moved away from the celebrant and started walking down the informal aisle towards Katie. Ignoring Wood’s resigned sigh, Marcus gave Katie a gentle smile. “Shall we?”

Katie reached up and gently brushed his hair back. “Yes.”

***

End Fic (well except for the two mini epilogues…)
Leave a Review