See Chapter One for disclaimer

****

One year later…

Severus Snape settled himself into the over-stuffed chair provided by St Mungo’s and waited for the overly cheerful nurse to depart. The naturally dour professor shifted the bundle in his arms and looked down with a soft expression that would have struck most of his students as highly unnatural. Hands used to precision potions work shook slightly as the moved the soft wool of the blanket aside from the baby’s face. He brushed a long finger across her cheek, marvelling at the softness of her skin. Unfocused eyes blinked hazily as Elizabeth Marcella Flint looked up at her honorary grandfather for the first time.

“I’m not sure if your father has told you yet, but you are named after your grandmother. It is a big name for you to grow into but I am confident that you can do it. She was a very special lady who would have loved to know you. But I wasn’t fast enough that day to save her, so she is going to have to look down at you from heaven instead.”

Severus looked up as he heard the new father enter the room.

“How is Katie?” he enquired.

Marcus smiled couching down beside his daughter. “She’s sleeping. Elizabeth took a lot out of her.”

“Literally,” came the droll reply.

Marcus laughed softly. “We’ll have our work cut out for us with this one,” he began seriously.

Severus raised an eyebrow in enquiry.

“She is going to be surrounded by bloody Gryffindors all attempting to corrupt her. Wood is already making noises about her playing for Gryffindor in twelve years time.”

“I have no doubt that she will be representing her House by that time,” Severus stated. “With her genes she’ll be a chaser for sure. However, I do not believe she will be taking the field in red and gold.”

Professor Severus Snape, Head of Slytherin House freed his wand and tapped it against the baby blanket. Whispering an incantation, the pink wool pulsed slightly before turning a rich green with tiny silver snakes slithering around the borders in decoration. Marcus started laughing helplessly.

“It is never to early to start building House loyalty,” Severus Snape said firmly.
Leave a Review