See Chapter One for the disclaimer

***************************************************************

Katie had arrived at the training pitch early, wanting to familiarise herself with the new Firebolt XS before the rest of the team arrived. Her standard warm-up drill helped to calm her nerves as she concentrated on the wood beneath her hands and the feel of the air rushing past her face. England was in the midst of an unseasonable heat wave so she had eschewed the heavier cords for shorts hitting mid thigh. Her clothing choice had made perfect sense to her this morning but now, realising this was the first time she would meet the team, Katie began to doubt the decision, desperately wishing she had chosen something more professional. The nervous knot in her stomach returned suddenly as she spotted Martin leading the other six players onto the pitch. She mentally ran through Angelina’s comments in her head as she landed:

“Davis is a damn fine Keeper. Maybe not as good as Oliver but then not many are. He’ll stop most Quaffles that come his way. Serious about winning but not a fanatic.

Evans and Lovegood in the Beater positions. They’ve worked together for years to the point where they just *know* what the other is doing. Trust them to watch your back, they won’t let you down.

Fawcett will be playing alongside you as the third Chaser – we’ve tended to use him primarily in a support role as Flint and I are more aggressive players. Keeps his head under Bludger attacks and is a good solid player.

Harry’s like a kid in the candy store at the prospect of playing in the World Cup. I don’t think he stopped grinning for the first couple of weeks of training camp. Bloody annoying really. The rest of us would be wincing after eight hours a day on the broom and he’d come bouncing into the room grinning like the proverbial Cheshire cat! He’s still reserved around Flint though. Partly because of the whole ex-Slytherin thing, partly because Flint is very chummy with Malfoy and you know how that goes.

Flint is Flint. He’s still a complete bastard but I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather take than him into the World Cup. If you can put aside personal feelings to work with him I think you’ll be unstoppable.”

Katie took a deep breath and plastered on a friendly smile as she greeted her new teammates. Harry immediately came up to her and swung her up in a big hug. “Katie, I’m so glad we are going to playing together again.”

“Me too, Harry. You’ve always been my favourite Seeker to play alongside.”

Evans and Lovegood followed to shake her hand and welcome her to the team. Fawcett added his best wishes in a more reserved tone before they all moved off to assemble around Martin and his ever-present drill notes. Finally Katie was left facing Marcus Flint. What could only be described as a predatory grin spread over his face. “Well Beanpole, who would have thought – you’ve grown up,” his eyes tracked up the expanse of her legs before resting at the curves of her breasts, “and out. Beanpole doesn’t really fit anymore”.

Katie raised her hand in front of her breasts and flipped him off. “Flint, didn’t anyone tell you it’s impolite to gawk?”

“Merely admiring the view Bell, merely admiring the view.”

*****************************************************************

Katie was smiling as she packed away the last of her Quidditch gear. The practice had gone really well. Angelina’s estimation of her teammates had been spot on. As soon as the practice had started Flint stopped his casual flirting, transforming it into cold professionalism. Katie had been pleasantly surprised at how well she had played alongside him. After being on the receiving end of four years of aggressive match play when Gryffindor had faced Slytherin the last thing she was expecting was teamwork! In fact that was the first time the two of them had been up in the air without Flint attempting to push her off a broom. That wasn’t to say Marcus had made it easy for her; he had seemed determined to put her through her paces. However, Katie wasn’t about to back down from a challenge like that. It wasn’t just about proving to Flint she was good enough to be here, it was also about quieting that annoying internal voice left over from Hogwarts that constantly questioned her skill.

As she made her way through the door she noticed a few young witches already gathered around waiting for the other players to emerge. According to Angelina the groupies were roughly divided into a 50:50 split. Half of them were hoping to catch the eye of Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived and Finally Killed Voldemort , to take him home to Mum, with the other half hoping to catch the eye (and other body parts) of Flint, International Play Boy and Danger to Women’s Virtue Everywhere. Harry blushed and ignored the attention while Marcus Flint had a reputation for accepting what was on offer. Katie grinned to herself. She couldn’t really blame them. Harry was every mother’s dream son-in-law while Flint… Flint was certainly looking good these days. At school he had been all teeth and intimidation, but now … you actually got to look at the rest of him. Katie blushed as she remembered how much she had a chance to look at when he had wandered past in nothing more than a small towel. No, she couldn’t blame the groupies for hanging around at all. Katie pulled herself up abruptly, realising where her thoughts were leading her. Not going there, Kit Kat. Ever.

**************************************************************

Marcus Flint flooed into the London town house of Draco Malfoy and Virginia Weasley just after eight that evening. Draco had installed complex wards preventing Apparition into the house by anyone other than the two residents; even the floo system was limited. There were only two grates you could floo into the Malfoy house from – Draco’s office at work and the floo grate in Marcus’s own house. Draco might be considered paranoid, but then again, with the number of ex-Death Eaters still roaming around, maybe not. Marcus had a similar set of wards for the very same reason. Their refusal to support Voldemort, and in Draco’s case acting as a double agent for Dumbledore, had earned them both a lot of enemies. It was this shared experience during the war that had changed the two Slytherins from ex house mates to firm friends –and, two years ago, business partners.

Marcus made his way to the library and settled himself into his customary chair by the fireplace. He was as comfortable here as he was in his own home. Marcus was just taking a sip of Ogden’s Reserve Firewhisky when Draco entered the room.

“Make yourself at home,” he grumbled.

Marcus smirked in reply. “Don’t mind if I do.”

Draco poured himself a shot of the Firewhisky and looked over at his friend. “Can I take the absence of swearing and my possessions being tossed into the fire as an indication that you are no longer unhappy with the latest addition to the team?”

Marcus’s smirk spread into a wide grin, “Happy is one word for it. You neglected to mention in your description of her skills that she had turned into a complete knock out. There is no way I would have imagined she would have turned out so -”

“So what?”

“So hot! This campaign has just got a lot more fun.”

“Now Marcus, surely as a professional Quidditch player, the fact that your fellow team mate is gorgeous plays no part at all in your renewed enthusiasm.”

“Of course not,” Marcus grinned. “No part whatsoever. Where’s Virginia? I was hoping to pump her for information on the delectable Miss Bell.”

“I’m afraid you are out of luck tonight. Gin is at her parents’ house where the Weasleys have gathered en-masse to try and convince her to leave her life of sin and return to the family fold.”

“Ah. That would explain why you weren’t invited.”

“Yes, well. Gryffindor House generally has difficulty bad mouthing a person when they’re right there, although that has never stopped Ron. So they bring her over under the pretence of a family dinner ‘family members only Dear, I’m sure Draco will understand’, and then ambush her over the main course.”

There was a crash in the hallway quickly followed by an obscene curse. Draco and Marcus broke off their conversation and looked towards the door.

“It sounds as if the dinner was a bust.”

“Hmm,” Draco murmured absently, waiting for his girlfriend to come through the door. “Normally she lasts longer than this. Her brothers must have been in fine form tonight. Or possibly she’s finally snapped, killed them all and I am going to have to accompany her into hiding.” At that point a rather irate red head stormed through the doors clutching a large pudding basin to her chest.

“Stupid fucking idiotic…” Ginny Weasley broke off, noticing that there was more than one person lounging by the fire. “Hello Marcus, I’d forgotten you were coming over tonight.” She dumped the peach cobbler on the coffee table before plopping down onto Draco’s lap.

Draco gathered her close, feeling the tension in her body. He kept his voice light as he asked. “What was it this time love? The ‘You Don’t Know Him Like We Do’ argument, or the ‘Remember What His Father Did’ classic? Or was it my personal favourite of ‘He Is Just Using You To Get To Harry?’”

Ginny snorted, an unwilling smile tugging at her mouth. “No. They stopped using that one when I said I was using you for sex.”

Marcus snorted into his firewhisky, “I’m sure that went down well.”

“I think Bill and Charlie might have found it funny, but Ron went purple. I seriously thought he was going to burst something in his head.”

“So which one was it?” Draco asked again.

Ginny shook her head and nestled in closer. “They started complaining about the club and when I was going to come to my senses and accept a nice safe job at the Ministry? Can’t you see it? ‘Ginny Weasley, secretary extraordinaire!’”

“Personally I prefer Ginny Weasley, co-owner of the most successful club in Wizarding Britain. Has more of a ring to it,” Marcus commented.

Ginny grinned at him. “Thank you. Anyway after some nasty scenes I decided I had done enough in the name of family duty, nicked off with the pudding and Apparated home.”

“Speaking of which,” Marcus got to his feet, “I’ll go find some spoons.”

Draco waited until Marcus had left the room. “What else did they say Gin-Girl? You’re too upset for it just to have been about the Snake Pit.”

Ginny’s lower lip trembled slightly and said quietly, “Ron called me some pretty ugly things. I’ll tell you about them later.”

Draco tucked her more firmly under his chin and brushed a kiss across her temple. “I can wait.”

Marcus came back into the room bearing three spoons and a handful of napkins. “I decided plates sounded like too much hard work. Gather round.”

Laughing, Ginny and Draco hopped off the chair and joined him around the dessert.

“So did I interrupt guy talk or business talk?” Ginny asked after several mouthfuls.

“Mostly guy talk,” Marcus admitted. “Actually you might be able to help me. What’s the deal between Bell and Wood?”

Ginny looked up at him with a smirk. “My answer depends on why you are asking. Are you interested in the post Hogwarts life of your fellow graduates? Or are you trying to work out the potential obstacles to shagging Katie?”

“Would you believe the former?”

“Don’t be insulting Marcus, I was a Gryffindor, not a Hufflepuff.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure of the Hat’s decision if I were you Love. You are the most Slytherinish Gryffindor I have ever met. Even Severus has been heard to query why you weren’t in our House.”

“I think it is one of life’s great mysteries. For Merlin’s sake I had the ghost of a sixteen year old Voldemort traipsing through my head and the Sorting Hat still put me in Gryffindor. It was definitely having an off day. Marcus! Stop laughing at me and answer the question. Are you planning on shagging Katie?”

“Maybe” he admitted, “she’s certainly grown up over the last few years.”

“Not going to help then. If you decide you actually like her I’ll give you what I know, otherwise you’re on your own.”

“Will it help if I pout?” Marcus smiled ingratiatingly at her.

“Not at all. Draco only gets away with it because I’m blinded by love. If you try it I’ll just laugh at you.”

“How about answering the question on the basis that I’m trying to find out whether a fellow teammate has a conflict of interest?”

“I don’t believe you for an instant but you get points for an inventive excuse. To the best of my knowledge they’re just friends. They have known each other since they were little and are very protective of each other. No offence, Marcus, but you are asking her to go against a life time of conditioning to even consider you as anything other than a nasty, untrustworthy Slytherin.”

“Says the Weasley who has spent the last five years shagging a Malfoy.”

“He has a point love. But even so, Katie’s a good girl. I doubt very much she would indulge in casual sex. And if you do manage to seduce her for a casual fling, how is that going to affect the team when you break it off?”

“Fine I’ll ease off the seduction and get to know her first. Happy now?” Marcus grumbled.

“Very.” Ginny grinned in triumph. “Now stop sulking and pass the pudding.”

*****************************************************************

Later that night Draco gathered Ginny close to him and asked quietly, “Do you want to tell me about it?”

Ginny was quiet for a moment before beginning to speak. “The evening began fairly standard: polite impersonal comments about the weather and how the Quidditch season was going before they moved on to the personal stuff,” she broke off and Draco began to massage slow circles on her back, encouraging her to keep talking.

“They are really unhappy about me managing the Snake Pit. They are convinced it’s some den of iniquity full of sex, drugs and dark arts. I pointed out the club may be full of dedicated embroiderers for all they knew, they’ve never come to see what it’s really like. The two of us and Marcus have built up something I’m proud of and while I can ignore what the Prophet prints about us, I’d like to think my family could be proud of me too.” Ginny felt her throat tighten as she recounted the events of the evening.

“I think that your older brothers are proud of you. Bill and Charlie were certainly happy to see you at George and Alicia’s wedding,” Draco offered quietly. “The twins could probably be won over. It’s just Percy and Ron who reinforce your parents’ attitude.”

“It gets worse. Ron was going on and on about what supposedly happens at the club and I started getting angry and baiting him. I told him that vice has always paid well and we’re just giving the public what they want.” She broke off, crying. “He then said that the title of peddler would suit me well since I’ve been your whore all these years.”

Draco started swearing as he gathered her closer to him. “Your brother doesn’t know shit about us.”

“That’s what I told him – right after I hit with a right hook. I just grabbed the dessert and ran. After five years he finally got up the guts to tell me what he really thinks.”

“I love you Gin-Girl more than anything else in this world. It’s your family’s loss if they can’t see what a beautiful person you’ve grown into.”

“If it’s their loss, why does it hurt me so much?” Ginny replied quietly.

As Draco tilted her face up towards him for a kiss, he promised himself that he would do something unpleasant to Ron Weasley at the earliest opportunity.


End Chapter Two
Leave a Review