See Chapter One for disclaimer

*********************************************************************

“Oliver?” Katie asked somewhat frantically. “What are you doing here?

“I haven’t heard from my best friend in ages,” Oliver smiled at her. “So I decided to arrive on your doorstep, or lounge if you want to be picky, and take you out for breakfast.”

He stopped and took in her appearance from tousled bed head, the obviously male shirt slipping off her shoulders and her bare feet. “Have you been keeping secrets, Katie?” he grinned.

She twisted her hands nervously. “Ah, it’s not necessarily what it looks like,” Katie began desperately.

“Now, now Katie. No need to be shy. Just let me know who is the lucky recipient of the patented ‘Hurt my best friend and I have a sharp wand and a stout shovel’ speech. And I’ll pop back later when the two of you are decent.”

Katie started to sag in relief until she heard Marcus’s voice calling for her from the bedroom.

The puzzlement on Oliver’s face only lasted a moment until he placed the voice. “Flint? You’re shagging Marcus Flint! What the hell are you thinking?”

Marcus swore as he heard Oliver’s raised voice; Scottish Git always did have the worst possible timing. Marcus grabbed his boxers and reached for his trousers before hesitating. It was petty he knew, but he was going to make it quite clear to Wood what he and Katie had been doing together. Padding barefoot into the lounge he felt a stab of purely masculine pleasure at the sight of Katie wearing nothing but his shirt. He moved over to casually press a kiss on her temple.

Katie winced at Oliver’s growl of displeasure. “Good morning, Marcus,” she said quietly. “Oliver and I need to discuss a few things. Do you mind giving us some time alone?” Although Katie had managed to keep her tone even, her eyes were pleading with him to agree.

Marcus flicked his eyes between Oliver and Katie briefly. “I need to grab some more clothes form home anyway. I’ll be back in about an hour.”

Oliver kept silent until Marcus had Disapperated. Disbelief was warring with hurt as he turned to Katie. “What the hell are you thinking? You can’t seriously be interested in him!”

Katie flinched slightly, “I don’t do casual sex, you know that.”

“Well you picked a fine time to start.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked, stung by the implication.

“Sorry to keep stating the obvious, but you’re sleeping with Marcus bloody Flint.” Oliver’s voice rose with each word.

“Fine. I’m sleeping with Marcus. Up until you found at who it was, you thought it was a great joke. If I don’t have any problems with Marcus, why should you?”

“Because you should have a problem with him!” he yelled back. “Putting aside any personal disagreements Flint and I have had, let’s cast our minds back on how he has treated you, shall we?

“Marcus Flint, Slytherin Captain for five years, responsible for the dirtiest play we encountered at school. The same person who tormented you for five years including I believe one memorable occasion when he froze you to the ground and charmed beanstalks to grow up your legs until I found you to take the spell off.”

“Merlin, Oliver! You promised me you wouldn’t ever bring that up,” Katie gasped.

Oliver looked slightly ashamed. “I’m sorry, but that doesn’t change what he did to you. I can’t understand how you can even stand to be near him.”

Katie drew herself up and looked him in the eye. “Oliver, am I the same person I was at Hogwarts?”

“You’re still my Kit Kat,” he replied.

“But am I the same person who let herself be turned into the human Beanpole?”

“No,” he admitted. “You’re a lot stronger than you used to be.”

“Exactly. I’m not the same person and neither is he. He’s changed Oliver, and I like who he has turned into”

Oliver dragged his hand through his hair in frustration. “I have known you since you were four years old. You’re like my little sister and best friend all rolled into one package. I won’t sit back and see you get hurt again.”

“This won’t be like Etienne, I promise.”

“How can you be sure? They’re both play boys who go through women like ...”

Katie cut him off, “Because this time I am going into this with my eyes wide open. I am not expecting forever with Marcus, but I do plan on enjoying the time I spend with him.” She privately admitted that what she had told Oliver wasn’t entirely true. She may not expect forever, but she was wanting it more and more every day. Katie moved over to hug Oliver but he moved out of her grasp.

“I’m not okay with this Katie. I think you are making a monumental mistake.”

“It’s still my mistake to make,” she stated in a firm tone.


*******************************************************************


Marcus retuned to Katie’s flat to find her curled up in the window seat clutching her commemorative Gryffindor lion. Crouching down in front of her, he spoke quietly, “Hey.”

“Hey yourself,” came the muffled reply.

Marcus watched her silently for a moment before sitting down beside her in the window seat, picking Katie up, he settled her onto his lap. Katie stiffened slightly before burrowing into his chest.

“I don’t like fighting with Oliver,” she finally said.

Deciding that any response could be interpreted as biased, Marcus contented himself with smoothing her hair down her back.

“Ginny was right,” Katie said next.

“It is one of her more infuriating characteristics,” Marcus offered.

Katie rewarded him with a half smile. “I should have told him from the beginning. Oliver feels betrayed that I didn’t tell him before this. I never wanted to hurt him, I just,” Katie broke off at a loss to explain her reasoning. “I should tell the girls today. I don’t want them to hear it from Oliver first.”

Marcus stood up, keeping Katie cradled in his arms. “How about I run the shower for you?”

“Thank you.”

While Katie was in the shower Marcus retrieved the charm bracelet from where he had dropped it last night. When Katie exited the bathroom she found him sitting on her bed turning it over in his hands.

Marcus looked up with a small smile. “I brought this yesterday but hadn’t had a chance to give it to you yet,” he explained.

“Marcus, it’s beautiful,” Katie exclaimed. “But you didn’t need to buy me a gift.”

“I know I didn’t need to. I was out with Draco when I saw it. I liked it, decided I would like it more on you, so brought it. Simple as that.” Marcus reached over and grasped her hand gently to fasten the chain around her wrist. “See I was right,” he grinned engagingly, “it does look better on you.”

Katie reached over and brushed a soft kiss at his temple. This was the Marcus she had fell in love with. No matter what unpleasantness she had to go through with her friends she wasn’t going to give up on this.

********************************************************************

After checking that Fred and George were indeed at WWW Headquarters for the day, Katie Apparated to their sprawling home. Letting herself in the front door she called out for Angelina and Alicia. Following the noise she finally located them in the kitchen.

“What on earth have you two been doing?” she asked between giggles, staring at the flour-covered witches.

Angelina looked at the giggling Katie in annoyance. “Apparently trying to replicate Molly’s cobbler recipe with one of the fake wands was a bad idea.”

“It could have been worse, Fred and George could have been home and then we would have never lived it down,” Alicia sighed. “What brings you to the madhouse Kit Kat? We haven’t seen you in ages.”

Katie grinned at her friends, trying to hide her nervousness. “Well it has been a while. I thought I’d fill you in on what I’ve been up to.”

********************************************************************

Making his way down Diagon Alley Draco found his way blocked by three angry redheads. Sighing, he mentally braced himself for dealing with his least favourite Weasley.

“Ron. Fred. George. What brings you out on this fine morning?” See, this being pleasant business wasn’t too hard.

“Cut the crap Malfoy. What have you done to our sister?” Ron growled.

Okay perhaps not. “I don’t know what the hell you are going on about Ronald. I haven’t done anything to Virginia,” Draco said coldly.

“You must have done something. I saw her yesterday and she didn’t want to even talk to me,” Ron blustered. Fred and George remained silent, standing slightly behind their brother in support.

Draco fought to keep his temper in check. “Well that can hardly be considered surprising.”

Ron started to turn red at the insinuation. “Listen Ferret. Something has happened if Ginny doesn’t even want to see her own brothers.”

“No you listen, Weasel. I am not at all surprised that she doesn’t want to talk to you. You constantly belittle what she has chosen to do with her life. None of you have even been inside the club yet still feel as if you have the moral authority to sit in judgement of us. And let us not forget that at your last little family get together Ron, you managed to call her both a panderer and a whore. So if you’re looking for someone to blame, try looking closer to home!” Draco snarled.

Fred and George started at that. From the look they exchanged Draco was guessing that they hadn’t been privy to that conversation. That was something at least.

“If you would excuse me, I have a business to attend to.”

George reached out a hand and grabbed a hold of Ron’s robe when he started after Draco. As he stalked away from Ginny’s brothers he heard George ask, “Ronnikins is there anything else you have forgotten to tell us?”

*********************************************************************

The now flour-free Mrs Weasleys settled down in the lounge and fixed determined pairs of eyes on their wayward friend.

“Spill, Kit Kat,” Angelina ordered.

Alicia laughed at the slightly hunted expression on Katie’s face and took pity on her. “I imagine training has been very hectic.”

Katie looked at her in gratitude. “Yes. Yes it has. Martin is reaching new levels of fanaticism. Even Harry isn’t smiling as much as he used to.” She glanced down and started playing with her charm bracelet trying to decide how to bring Marcus into the conversation.

Alicia followed her movements. “That’s lovely. I don’t think I’ve seen it before.”

Angelina raced over and picked up Katie’s wrist. “Very nice indeed. Good on you for spoiling yourself.”

Katie drew in a deep breath, “Actually it was a gift from Marcus.”

“Flint!” Angelina choked out.

“We’ve been seeing each other. It’s,” Katie paused and amended her statement slightly, “He’s been good for me.”

“But Katie, this is Marcus Flint we’re talking about. You hated him for years!” Alicia didn’t sound angry just confused.

“Did hate him Alicia, past tense only. I had this conversation with Ollie this morning. It’s not fair to judge him on what he was like at school. He’s not the same person.”

“I take it Oliver knows then,” Alicia said quietly.

“He dropped in unexpectedly this morning and Marcus was there - it wasn’t pretty. I had planned on telling you soon I promise; I just had to speed up the plan.”

After her initial exclamation, Angelina had been very quiet. “Angie what are you thinking?” Katie asked worriedly.

“I honestly don’t know Kit Kat. I know him better than Alicia does and he is as arrogant as he ever was, but I don’t think he is as evil as we made him out to be at school. On the other hand,” Angelina tied to phrase the next part delicately, “he does have a fairly well deserved reputation as a play boy. I don’t want to see you get hurt again.”

“Trust me when I say I don’t want to get hurt either,” Katie said wryly.

“How long has it been going on?”

“A few weeks now.” At their hurt expressions Katie hurried to explain, “I know I should have told you before I just wasn’t ready to explain my reasoning when I didn’t know what was going on. I had a long talk with Ginny yesterday and she pointed out that the longer I left it the more betrayed you would feel.”

“She’s a smart woman”

“Yes she is. She told me what happened between her and Draco so I wouldn’t make the same mistakes.

Angelina and Alicia looked slightly uncomfortable at the mention of Ginny’s relationship. Katie narrowed her eyes at them. “You can’t honestly agree with the situation she’s in with her family,” she asked in disbelief.

“Of course we don’t, but we’re in a difficult situation here,” Angelina explained. “I don’t want to side with my sister in law over my husband.” Alicia nodded in agreement.

“Even when they are being incredibly stupid?”

“It makes it harder, but I don’t want to go up against the whole family.”

“What on earth are they trying to accomplish by treating her like this?” Katie asked bewildered.

“I think they are hoping that what they are saying will finally sink in and she’ll come to her senses,” Alicia offered.

Katie laughed at that. “Well they are in for a long wait. I’ve seen the two of them together and you would be hard pressed to find two people more devoted to each other. She’s already chosen Draco over her family once. If they push her too much she’ll make the break permanent.”

“We know. Bill and Charlie don’t have any major issues with Draco. He proved during the War that he wasn’t like his father, but the others all remember what he was like at school.”

“Add into that while Ginny is with Draco she can’t fulfil Molly’s dearest wish to have her married to Harry and you have a nasty situation,” Angelina added. “Why the sudden interest in Ginny? The two of you have never been close.”

“I could see the parallels. I don’t want to lose you two over my relationship Marcus,” Katie said quietly.

“Do you love him?” Alicia asked

“More every day.”

Angelina asked seriously, “Does he love you?”

“He cares for me I can tell that much. I don’t know if it is more than that yet,” Katie admitted.

Angelina and Alicia exchanged quick glances and smiled. “Oh sweetie, you could shack up with all of the ex members of the Slytherin Quidditch team and we’d still love you.”

Katie’s face broke into a wide smile of relief and she launched herself across to hug her two friends.

“Now that we have that sorted,” Alicia said seriously. “We can move onto the important questions.”

“Exactly, Mrs Weasley,” Angelina replied with a wicked grin. “So tell us Katie, what’s he like in bed?”

End Chapter 6
Leave a Review