See Chapter One for the disclaimer

******************************************************************

Ginny flooed into Marcus’s home and kept her hand firmly covering her eyes. “Are you decent?” she hollered.

“What happens if the answer is no?” Marcus responded as he walked into the hall.

“I whip out a camera, beat a hasty retreat and flog the photos to the Prophet,” Ginny replied with a grin.

“Fair enough,” Marcus smiled at his favourite red head. “To what do I owe the pleasure of the visit?”

Ginny scowled. “Something is up with Draco. He’s being all secretive and annoying so I want you to tell me what he is plotting.”

Marcus threw up his hands in mock horror. “Virginia dearest, do you really want me to betray one of my childhood friends?”

“Yes!”

“Sorry, no can do my sweet. I have absolutely no idea what he is planning,” Marcus lied.

Ginny looked at him suspiciously. “I don’t believe you,” she stated firmly.

Marcus clutched at his chest dramatically. “You wound me.”

“Fine, be like that then. I’ll just find someone who will tell me then,” she growled before throwing another handful of powder into the fire. “Hogwarts!”

“What did Ginny want?” Katie asked as she wandered into the hall.

Marcus turned and wrapped his arms around her. “She’s in a snit because I won’t tell her what Draco is up to,” he explained. “She’s off to harass Severus to see if he’ll be more forthcoming.”

“Well, what is he up to?” Katie demanded.

“Well,” Marcus twisted slightly so he could capture her left hand. Raising it to his mouth his tongue traced along the ring finger. “It has to do with some permanent decoration for Ginny’s hand.”

Katie was all but purring as Marcus sucked the finger into his mouth. Enjoying the sensations immensely it took her a few moments to process what he had just said. “They’re getting married?” she squealed.

Wincing slightly at the sudden rise in volume Marcus said, “Well they will if Draco stops fretting about the perfect setting and just asks her. At this rate their first kid will have been sorted into Slytherin before he finally gets around to it.”

Katie looked suddenly worried. “Professor Snape wouldn’t tell her would he?” she asked. “I’d hate for the surprise to be ruined.”

“Not a chance,” Marcus assured her. “Severus knows how to keep a secret. He’ll listen to her complain for a bit and then brew her some calming tea.” At Katie’s sceptical expression Marcus laughed. “He likes Ginny so is able to repress the fact she was a Gryffindor enough to comfort her.” Marcus ducked quickly as Katie’s hand swiped out in retaliation to his slur on her former House. “Come on, we better get going. Martin wants to discuss the chaser strategy for the next game.”

*****************************************************************

Draco looked down at the ring in his hand and sighed in exasperation. ‘Phase One: Operation Weasel’ had been a success, Bill and Charlie were now openly supporting his relationship with Ginny, and after the night out at the club the twins were a lot more open to the suggestion that he would be sticking around. Draco made a mental note to send flowers to Katie tomorrow. He understood from Marcus that she had been doing some heavy campaigning with Angelina and Alicia to build up support in that camp. That just left Ginny’s parents who he was sure would cave at the first hint of another grandchild, then Percy and Ron. Once the matter of he and Ginny publicly living in sin was resolved Percy would be fine, and Ron? Well quite frankly Draco didn’t care what the Weasely King thought as long as he kept his mouth shut and refrained from making Ginny cry.

However, ‘Phase Two: The Proposal’ just wasn’t going to plan. He’d spent hours trying to work on the perfect proposal but the universe seemed to be conspiring against him, turning the whole endeavour into one cosmic joke. The picnic in the park had been rained out, the walk along the beach was interrupted by overexcited seagulls, while the romantic star gazing flight on his Firebolt had almost ended in tragedy when they had accidentally strayed to close to a muggle military base. Emergency mid air Apparations were always a bit dodgy and they’d landed in a flower bed covered in daisies.

One of the things he loved most about Ginny was her intelligence; not the book smarts of Granger, but the ability to instantly analyse a situation. Unfortunately this particular trait was now working against him. Draco was having to furiously send out red herrings to stop her from guessing what he was up to. She had arrived home an hour ago disgruntled at not being able to get information out of Marcus and Severus; he was going to have to come up with something fast.

Intellectually he knew that the setting wasn’t important; he could go down on one knee as soon as Ginny walked through the door and get the whole thing over with but Ginny deserved better than that. To be honest, Ginny deserved better than him. Draco resolutely pushed that thought aside, as long as Ginny never realised that he’d be fine. As Draco sipped at his tea he let his eyes wander over the photos in the kitchen smiling at how happy the two of them looked. Perhaps it was for the best that his original ideas hadn’t worked out, Ginny deserved more than a clichéd gesture, she deserved something grand…

********************************************************************

Katie was having to hide her grin as she and Ginny made their way through the upper end of Diagon Alley. Draco had sent through an urgent fire-call to Marcus’s house yesterday evening begging their assistance. While he and Marcus were running around today bribing various people and organising portkeys, Katie’s job was to keep Ginny distracted. Katie had called in some favours from old school friends and had been able to secure bookings for facials and hair appointments leaving several hours free for some serious retail therapy. Katie was used to these “girls’ day out”, along with her fellow Gryffindor chasers she had launched regular attacks on Diagon Alley over the years, but this was Ginny’s first time. It wasn’t too surprising, Katie mused, that growing up in a family of boys, gossiping while shopping for lingerie would not have happened very often. Her train of thought was disrupted as a very naughty giggle emerged from the changing room Ginny was in.

“Katie,” Ginny called, “I think we have a winner.”

“Can I come in?” Katie asked hovering just outside the door. Taking the renewed giggles as an affirmative she quickly entered the room. Catching sight of Ginny’s reflection the mirror she drew in her breath. “Oh my,” she whispered.

Ginny smoothed her hands over her hips and arched an eyebrow. “I’ll take it you agree then.” Turning back to her reflection she did an experimental twirl. “Lavender said it only came in this morning.” Ginny snickered, “perhaps it’s a sign.”

Katie smiled at the reminder of Lavender’s obsession with divination at school. Assuming a mock serious expression Katie stated, “Well far be it from us to ignore a sign from the heavens. I think you should buy it just in case.”

“Oh, I agree.”

Katie worked at keeping her voice casual as she said, “When the boys have finished helping Severus how about the four of us go out to dinner someplace nice? We’re looking gorgeous, have just got new robes and you’re about to buy lingerie that’s so sexy it should come with a health warning. It would be a shame to waste that on a night at home.” She held her breath waiting to see if Ginny would see through her.

Ginny cocked her head to the side in thought. “Why not,” she said. “Of course we still have to find something for you.”

Katie smiled in relief, “I’ll go ask Lavender what else came in this morning.” Turning to leave the room she added, “I’ll tell her to put that one on your bill.”

*******************************************************************

Draco waited nervously as he waited for Ginny and Katie to turn up. He had dashed home for a quick shower and was now dressed in his favourite formal robes. Although accustomed to wearing muggle clothes at the Snake Pit, there was a certain comfort in returning to the traditional attire of his upbringing. He turned his attention back to Marcus as the older man held out a glass to him.

“Take this,” Marcus ordered handing over a shot of Ogdens Reserve. “Merlin, if you’re this nervous now, I’m having Severus brew up a calming potion before the wedding night.”

“Just you wait until you have to do this and we’ll see if you find this as amusing.” Draco irritably knocked back the shot and handed back the glass. “They’re here,” he breathed. Smoothing his hands over the robes he unobtrusively checked to see if the ring was still there.

Ginny twirled exuberantly to show off her new robes as she approached Draco. “We’ve been shopping,” she announced triumphantly.

“I can see that,” Draco gently teased. In the background he was aware of Marcus and Katie moving quietly away.

“What do you think?”

“I think you look absolutely beautiful,” he said honestly. And she did. Dressed in dark green robes that set off the creamy expanse of her shoulders, and with her hair tumbled around, Draco had to restrain himself from kissing her senseless. Tucking his arm around her, he asked, “Are you ready for dinner?” At her nod Draco smiled and activated the first portkey.

Ginny stumbled as she felt a tug at her navel. Smooth yellow stone had replaced the furniture of the Leaky Cauldron, while the scent of rosemary and lemon chased away the lingering tallow smoke in her clothes. “Draco?” she questioned, looking around in wonder at the Florentine street.

Draco smiled at her as he led them into the empty restaurant. “There’s been a small change in plans,” he said. The photo that Bill had admired had triggered this idea. Deciding to recreate the night from a year ago, he had booked the entire restaurant where the photo had been taken and had arranged for the same local band to be playing. Bruno Cavallero, the restaurant owner had been so delighted at such a grand romantic gesture (especially from an Englishman) that he had been happy to acquiesce. After seating them at the only candlelight table, Sig. Cavallero presented the menus with a flourish. When they were alone, Draco picked up Ginny’s hand and kissed it. “It’s been a while since I told you how happy you make me so I wanted to do something special tonight for you.”

Ginny smiled tremulously as realisation began to dawn. “I could say that you didn’t have to do this for me,” she said, “but I’m glad you did.”

After the mains had been cleared, Draco led Ginny onto the dance floor. Swaying gently he let himself relax and just enjoy the music. So far everything had gone to plan. Ginny had realised what was happening and was happily going along with whatever Draco suggested, waiting for him to pick the moment.

When the last song finished, and they had resumed their seats Draco nodded at Sig. Cavallero as the musicians and restaurant staff disappeared. Reaching into the hidden pocket in his robes, Draco removed the ring from its velvet pouch. Raising her left hand to his mouth he placed a gentle kiss to her palm. “Gin Girl you have been my best friend and lover for a long time. The happiest moments in my life have all had you in it.” Draco paused before the saying in a rush, “I want to see you get big with my child. I want to watch our children grow up knowing that their parents are in love. I want-” He broke off and rested his forehead against hers, “I want you with me every day until we die. I want you. Will you marry me?”

Ginny smiled ecstatically through the tears streaming down her face. “Yes.”

“Oh thank the Gods.” Draco slipped the engagement ring onto her finger and took a second to admire how right it looked on her hand.

“I think Sig. Cavallero and his staff approve,” Ginny giggled. Draco looked at her in slight confusion before the sounds of a raucous celebration in the kitchen intruded.

“I should bloody hope so. I’d hate to have got through this only to have you cry off because the waiters didn’t approve,” he teased. Now that the hard part was over Draco was rapidly relaxing. “Do you want dessert?” he asked.

Ginny looked at him, eyes suddenly smouldering, “Not really.”

Draco smirked at her. “I’m sure Sig. Cavallero will understand if we leave early. He’d probably be disappointed if we didn’t.” Standing up he helped her to her feet before getting out the second portkey for the evening.

“Home?” Ginny questioned.

“Not quite.” Bracing himself Draco activated the portkey to take them to the quarters set aside for Slytherin Head Boy. Ginny looked around the familiar room before bursting out in delighted laughter. “There hasn’t been a Slytherin Head Boy since I had the rooms,” Draco explained. “Since we are reliving various points in our relationship I thought you’d appreciate coming back here to where it first began.”

Ginny suddenly realised why Katie had been so insistent she wear the new lingerie tonight. Sending out a silent thank you to her new friend, she began to grin. Murmuring a charm Ginny’s robes pooled around her feet leaving her clad only in the tiny scraps of gold and black lace she had selected earlier that day.

Draco abruptly swallowed. Clearing his throat he managed to get out, “Looks like the robes weren’t the only purchase today.” Shrugging out of his own robes he reached for Ginny. Laying his now fiancée down on the bed he grinned, “You know it was a toss up between here and the Slytherin Broom Shed but I figured we were less likely to be disturbed here.” Trailing kisses down her throat he nipped lightly at the skin over her pulse, “And I really, really don’t want us to be disturbed tonight.”

End Chapter 9
Leave a Review